• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tactics Ogre: Let Us Cling Together |OT|: Fat Bottomed Girls

Sipowicz said:
i'm going to wait and see on this one

the story sounds like my cup of tea but i'm worried about the game being really hard to get in to. does anyone know how beginner friendly it is?

i've heard you can rewind actions for a limited time if you make mistakes. sounds extremly beginner friendly to me, maybe even too much.

Sipowicz

Banned
Shouta said:
It's fairly easy to get into and as I point out they softened the impact of the game with some systems. It's still a harder experience than say, FFT, but it's not nearly as punishing as the original TO.

i'm not really worried about it being hard, i can handle that. it's more actually understanding what's going on

i want to be able to start playing it without reading through a faq or something. does it do a good job of explaining things as you go along? is the gameplay easy to pick up?

Zerokku

WHAT HAVE YOU DONE?
Not gonna lie. I bought a PSP (again) pretty much for this game. Hope it lives up to the hype, and that it isnt soul-crushingly difficult which it appears it won't be.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
WanderingWind said:
Great looking game, very odd thread title.

What's his face, the lead dude behind Ivalice/Tactics Ogre games is a Queen fan. There is Queen Song references in his games. Ergo, Queen references in the game title and unrelated but still Queen reference in the OT pun line.

Matsuno is god. I am ready.

Now if we can get an Ogre Battle remake of the same calibur...Or even a VS remake...Or FFXIII: Int released in english...
Or just more Matsuno games.

Shouta

Sipowicz said:
i'm not really worried about it being hard, i can handle that. it's more actually understanding what's going on

i want to be able to start playing it without reading through a faq or something. does it do a good job of explaining things as you go along? is the gameplay easy to pick up?

Should be fine on the whole then.

I will warn you though that on top of base class stats, you will have stats that are tied to the character. These are modified by either using them in a battle or leveling them up in a class (I can't recall which it is). Ones that don't get the base stats for the class they are plus whatever they naturally have. It's rectifiable though.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
SonOfABeep said:
This will run on 6.20 right? (crosses fingers)

Would rather play on my go than the 3000.

I'm sure someone will strip the firmware requirement out of the game if you really want to play it. But you'll probably have to wait a week or two before it happens. Depends on how popular TO is gonna be.

Edit: That is to say: It depends on if Prometheus needs to be updated or not to decrypt the firmware/whatever on the fly before playing.

Joule said:
I think I read that TO JP ran on 6.31 but don't quote me on that.
me read that they got the JP version working on CFW. Doubt Square will change it that much for US release. Hopefully not. i hope it runs on my psp.

I don't know where I stand on this one. I really enjoyed Final Fantasy Tactics, but didn't get too far into it. Plus, I have to admit I'm a little put off by all this talk of it being really hard. That and the fact that there isn't exactly a shortage of RPGs coming out over the next month or two.

Reknoc

Really considering preordering this... everything seems pretty awesome it's a shame the game's a genre I'm not massively fond of.

Ah... fuck it, even if I don't like the game the Artbook and Soundtrack should be awesome enough on their own. *preorder*

Shito

Great OP, but...

Peff said:
  • Pre-order bonus
Exclusive 22 card tarot deck illustrated by Akihiko Yoshida. US only.
G5nG5.jpg
It's not US exclusive, Europe can get this by pre-ordering the game through Eidos' online shop (french link, but I imagine the other stores have it as well).

Ratrat

Is it worth playing the GBA version if you don't have a psp and have never played any iteration of this game?

Reknoc

Shito said:
Great OP, but...

It's not US exclusive, Europe can get this by pre-ordering the game through Eidos' online shop (french link, but I imagine the other stores have it as well).

Doesn't seem to be available on the UK store unless I'm not looking in the right place, they only seem to do PC games.

Chemo

GhaleonQ said:
And very much worth playing.
Eh, it's alright, but it has nothing on Matsuno's games. And I really wouldn't go out of my way to recommend it to anyone for any reason. It's passably decent, but that's not a good enough endorsement for me to tell someone they should invest time and money into it.

Minsc

Let's not forgot about the dozens and dozens of achievements either (in addition to the DLC), for those complaining it's too easy. Could very well add quite a bit of difficulty if the achievements are extremely challenging... or not. Either way, it's a cool idea, and you get titles for accomplishing them I think.

Peff

Minsc said:
Let's not forgot about the dozens and dozens of achievements either (in addition to the DLC), for those complaining it's too easy. Could very well add quite a bit of difficulty if the achievements are extremely challenging... or not. Either way, it's a cool idea, and you get titles for accomplishing them I think.

Hehe, a couple of them sound pretty crazy, like this one:

Flawless Hero: finish the game with no units ever falling in battle.

The rest of them (not too spoilery, but just in case since some of them mark storyline progress):

* He Who Fathoms Destiny: finish the game on every route.
* The True Hero: finish the game after letting 11~20 units die.
* Matchless Strategist: finish the game after letting 11~20 units fall in battle.
* Grand Lord of Tactics: finish the game after letting 1~10 units die.
* Great Lord of Strategy: finish the game after letting 1~10 units fall in battle.
* Immaculate Unifier: finish the game with no units ever dying.
* Flawless Hero: finish the game with no units ever falling in battle.
* Valeria Hero: watch the Kachua ending.
* Tragic Hero: watch the Denim ending.
* He Who Walks Through the Bloodshed: watch the Gilbert ending.
* He Who Subjugates the Guardian of Wind: clear Hanella's Shrine.
* He Who Subjugates the Guardian of Earth: clear Bartha's Shrine.
* He Who Subjugates the Guardian of Thunder: clear Nessaro's Shrine.
* He Who Subjugates the Guardian of Water: clear Gurza's Shrine.
* He Who Subjugates the Guardian of Fire: clear Zoshonell's Shrine.
* He Who Subjugates the Guardian of Ice: clear Ryuneram's Shrine.
* He Who Reached the Sacred Land: clear the Pirate Cemetery dungeon with Azelstan in your party, and refuse to take the treasure.
* Usurper of the Treasure: clear the Pirate Cemetery dungeon with Azelstan in your party, and refuse to take the treasure.
* He Who Walks Unto the Abyss: find the secret door on Hell Gate B3.
* He Who Subjugates ????: defeat ??? in Hell Gate.
* He Who Subjugates ????: defeat ??? in Hell Gate.
* He Who Subjugates ????: clear the Extra Scenario Episode 1.
* He Who Subjugates ????: defeat the Divine General No. 1 (Hell Gate B86)
* He Who Subjugates ????: defeat the Divine General No. 2 (Pirate Cemetery - Sky Blue Cave)
* He Who Subjugates ????: defeat the Divine General No. 3 (Phorampa Wildwood - Deep Section)
* He Who Subjugates ????: defeat the Divine General No. 4 (Hell Gate B96)
* He Who Subjugates ????: defeat the Divine General No. 5 (Hell Gate B93)
* He Who Subjugates ????: defeat the Divine General No. 6 (San Bronsa - Floating Ruins 4F)
* He Who Subjugates ????: defeat the Divine General No. 7 (Phorampa Wildwood - Miracle Sky)
* He Who Subjugates ????: defeat the Divine General No. 8 (San Bronsa - Floating Ruins 8F)
* He Who Subjugates ????: defeat the Divine General No. 9 (Hell Gate B77)
* He Who Subjugates ????: defeat the Divine General No. 10 (Hell Gate B89)
* He Who Subjugates ????: defeat the Divine General No. 11 (San Bronsa - Floating Ruins Central Garden)
* He Who Subjugates ????: defeat the Divine General No. 12 (San Bronsa - Floating Ruins 14F)
* ?: finish the game without using CHARIOT and without ever retreating.
* ?: finish the Hell Gate without using CHARIOT and without ever retreating.
* ?: finish the San Bronsa dungeon without using CHARIOT and without ever retreating.
* ?: finish the Extra Scenarios without using CHARIOT and without ever retreating.
* ?: defeat ??? (available via DLC).
* ?: defeat the secret enemy in Hell Gate (available via DLC).
* ?: reach and defeat the secret enemy in Hell Gate without using CHARIOT and without ever retreating (available via DLC).

Woah, had no idea, it seems to be the only place that has it. Added to the OP.

Minsc

Peff said:

The rest of them (not too spoilery, but just in case since some of them mark storyline progress):

Interesting, nothing terribly unusual like I hoped (finish battles with just one unit, no items, only monsters, etc), but that doesn't seem to be a complete list? Don't see this one I thought was interesting earlier.

Or maybe those titles are different than achievements?

Hobbun

Really excited about this game, will be my first time playing.

Now, the OP says you don’t get EXP and SP until at the end of battle, but is the EXP and SP still determined by the amount of actions a character takes, or is it split evenly for everyone on your team?

Peff

Yes, that's not the complete list, just the ones that aren't tied to events of the main storyline. Each chapter has a number of titles/achievements which are mostly "complete x battle" and "take decision X/take decision Y", but obviously reading those would spoil the entire game. No special conditions on any of them as far as I remember, just standard storyline progress.

EDIT: No, the class with the more units in battle takes the biggest share, while the one with fewest people gets the smallest. Only classes that participated in the battle get experience.

Soulhouf

Peff said:

I didn't know about these achievements in the game.
They remind me of those in Vagrant Story.

Kid Marin

Augemitbutter said:
hmm, do they ship within europe or is it just france?
Eidoshop said:
Pays de livraison

Eidos Shop propose de livrer dans le monde entier les produits digitaux (en téléchargement, précommande en téléchargement ou pré-téléchargement).
Eidos Shop livre les articles physiques (jeux vidéo en boite) dans les pays suivants : France Métropolitaine (Corse, Monaco inclus), DOM TOM, Belgique, Luxembourg et Canada (Québec inclus).
http://www.eidoshop.fr/helps/engagments.php

Nif

Is there a way to restart battles in TO without restarting the game or reloading a save file? Playing War Of The Lions now and restarting all the time is annoying. :(

TommyT

Amir0x said:
This is the reason PSP exists.

Can I borrow yours :D?!

HYPED MORE THAN MVC3! Ended up going on ebay and buying Ogre Battle and Ogre Tactics and Ogre Battle 64... Going to be goooooooooooood!

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
I'm playing The Knight of Lodis this week, and I might throw in an Person of Lordly Caliber playthrough as well.

Peff

Nif said:
Is there a way to restart battles in TO without restarting the game or reloading a save file? Playing War Of The Lions now and restarting all the time is annoying. :(

I don't think there's an actual option, but you can rewind 50 turns and you can save during battle, meaning that at the start you can create a separate backup save which would act the same way.

Ellis Kim

Banned
I'm still appalled by the borderline ignorant comments that were made on the PS Blog in regards to the inclusion of tarot cards.

Top Bottom