• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tales of Series | Community Thread | Localizing more games than Square Enix

Datschge

I miss those days where I had to painstakingly earn those costumes.
Now it's painstaking for your wallet, eh?

Edit: The arena video shows solo battles where the UI is still split between human and Tenzoku. Two humans and two Tenzoku is the fixed max per battle, otherwise they could change the UI for arena battles.

Jonnax

So I've just started playing Tales of Hearts and since they kept the Japanese audio with English subs, I'm sort of intermediate when it comes to Japanese, and I've noticed that the translation is quite liberal.

I've noticed that they've changed the meaning or intent quite dramatically in some of the things being said which is quite jarring sometimes. So I'm wondering if the other Tales games have undergone the same thing and to what extent?

Stardust_Comet

Neo Member
So I've just started playing Tales of Hearts and since they kept the Japanese audio with English subs, I'm sort of intermediate when it comes to Japanese, and I've noticed that the translation is quite liberal.

I've noticed that they've changed the meaning or intent quite dramatically in some of the things being said which is quite jarring sometimes. So I'm wondering if the other Tales games have undergone the same thing and to what extent?

There's always a few scenes where the changes in translation is pretty much unrecognisable from the original source. However, the main games I know of haven't been that bad (which isn't many). Other than a few changes, they're generally not too far from the original Japanese. And from what I hear, Hearts is one of the "worst" offenders about the liberties taken to the translation.

Giving some examples of generally what things were changed in the games I've played in Japanese (and actually remember the changes while following a script).

Xillia - Jude's naivety is played up a lot more in English. Some skits, the joke is about how the word also means something else and Jude isn't sure of which meaning, or Teepo made a word up and Jude understandably has no idea what the meaning of the made up word is. (All those bazongas joke is basically that last one) There was also a case with Leia, where some of the jokes directed at her and her "bookdumb"-ness was made more obvious when the joke originally was more of a stealth pun/dual meaning thing.
Overall, it wasn't that bad, and some of those jokes needed to be changed anyway because a direct translation wouldn't have worked.

Abyss - I haven't played this game in too long, it needs a remake for a current system too I remember times where Luke would be asking an obvious question to show is "idiot hero" roots, but instead it'd be translated to him saying something insulting/showing he really doesn't care to be a jerk pre-hair cut. Of course, they didn't make him a disagreeable person when he wasn't in the original, they just threw in those moments for no foreseeable reason sometimes.
Again, it wasn't that bad overall. It didn't change his character and they weren't doing it that often anyway.

Dawn of the New World - Similar issue as Abyss, but instead of Emil being a "jerk" he's just incessantly whining or worrying. But it's actually worse than Abyss because this happened way more often. There are also times where entire scenes are completely reworded to the point that I just gave the fuck up on following either the sound or the text because my Japanese was not good enough for me to completely ignore the English text and rely solely on the Japanese voices.
This was bad. Not so horrible that it changes any aspect of the plot or changes any of the character's personalities. Those were kept in tack. But it was bad because there doesn't seem to be any reason why sections of the conversation were completely changed. You could legit have something happening like this where in Japanese, they're talking about the weather, but in English instead they're talking about plants.
Granted, this is also not a main title so they probably gave less fucks about some of the translation. But it was still pretty bad in my opinion.

Symphonia - Most of these changes usually happened around Zelos... mostly because they probably wanted to make him sound less flamboyant (because no one wanted anyone to think he was gay). Other than referring to Lloyd as "hunny" instead of "bud", there are times where he sounds just as flirtatious towards Lloyd that it basically sounded like he was talking to Sheena but without the mention of the big boobs (which was another change, he'd sometimes refer to Sheena just by her large boobs, instead of by name). He still identifies as het, but I'm pretty sure the Japanese version was intentionally giving yaoi fans enough subtext for their fetish.
Overall, again not really bad. And honestly, some of the things Zelos gets away with saying already in English is kind of pushing the rating ToS was originally given. If they tried to be faithful, it'd definitely be up to the next rating.

Other than that, I can't say much for the rest. Since I have Vesperia on the PS3, I've never even looked at any script from the XB360, and any translations I have looked up are of course fan translations.

These changes really really aren't that bad, even if I made it sound that way. DotNW was the worse offender here, but even then, that still wasn't a horrible job considering it's not a main title and probably wasn't taken as seriously by the localisation teams. Yes, I was bothered by how many of the changes were completely random and added nothing, but the spirit of the game was still there and honestly, they didn't expect it'd ever be re-released with dual audio so you'd have originally only read the English text with English voice acting.

Thanks very muchly for that detailed description. It's strange that Hearts is the exception, hopefully that doesn't mean that going forward this is what the translations will be like.

Hearts is probably the exception cause it basically feels like a localization Bamco begrudgingly did cause Sony pestered them to.

It shouldn't be the case with Tales of Zesty though.

Though Bamco will probably still fail at consistency with artes names though but that's a given.

Datschge

Though Bamco will probably still fail at consistency with artes names though but that's a given.
Unlike the "golden age" (hah!) until Vesperia there simply appears to be no single English speaking Bamco employee left that cares enough about Tales to ensure consistency across games. 8-4 itself would probably do a better job at it by now.

Stardust_Comet

Neo Member
Thanks very muchly for that detailed description. It's strange that Hearts is the exception, hopefully that doesn't mean that going forward this is what the translations will be like.

You're welcome. And I have to second what Dakkumauji said. They did Hearts begrudgingly because they didn't care about localising it to the Western audience. They should be putting more care into Zesteria's translations.

Unlike the "golden age" (hah!) until Vesperia there simply appears to be no single English speaking Bamco employee left that cares enough about Tales to ensure consistency across games. 8-4 itself would probably do a better job at it by now.

I heard (don't know how true it is so feel free to debunk me) that since the official Tales forum was closed down, they've given less care about keep the artes consistent. Since apparently, they could find out what translations they already gave to artes there. Although now we have a wikia... so maybe someone should tell them about that.

Rainy

Banned
I'm 15 hours into TOX2 and I am enjoying it more than TOX. Maybe it's the story or the battle system but I just really like it. What's the consensus here, which do people prefer?

Szadek

I'm 15 hours into TOX2 and I am enjoying it more than TOX. Maybe it's the story or the battle system but I just really like it. What's the consensus here, which do people prefer?
I think it's great game that unfortunately keeps shooting itself in the foot.

I suddenly feel like replaying Graces F.
Game deserves a second chance from me.
The only problems I have to suffer through the childhood arc again.

Stardust_Comet

Neo Member
What's the Xillia 2 article mentioned earlier?

Edit: Oh, is it this? (http://www.blade2187.com/2014/08/25/the-arte-of-arte-naming/)

Yes, that's the one.

What's the consensus here, which do people prefer?

What's been mentioned about Xillia 2 here before mainly consists of:
- It's better than Xillia
- The plot and battle system is better
- Ludger is actually a likable character
- But wtf was going on with making him a silent protagonist then suddenly giving him the option to be voiced in the second play through?
- And why is a silent protagonist calling his attacks
and talking with a voice at the end
?
- It's too repetitive. All the graphics and sound clips were taken from Xillia, and you're never really visiting any new place.

It's a mixed bag. But that last point tends to kill its enjoyment value for people.

One of the best ways to kill your enjoyment of Xillia 2 is playing it right after finishing Xillia 1.

You'll probably go crazy from seeing all the same fields again. And Xillia 2 does a poor job of spacing opening the old fields again since they open a bunch of them at once and if you want to do everything, this causes the plot to come a halt as you have to reexplore everything again.

The first Xillia is a game that exists.

The second one was what made me come to terms with the series' stagnant mediocrity. Yes, it's more fleshed out than the original, but all it did was expand what is still a lifeless world dependent on asset recycling. Plot and characters did me no favors, either.

Rhapsody

Banned

Better than the first game. It does recycle a lot, but it's the same world. I don't find that a big negative unless I'm playing it right after the first game.
I can see it being boring, but it was neat for me to be able to explore places you really didn't need to go to. For a game that makes you revisit the same stuff over and over again, I'm glad they added a dash, but it could've been an easier one to use.

Better battle system, interesting story (imo), brings something unique to the series, etc. Both games have its own fair share of faults though.

Falk

that puzzling face
I bet opinions also highly depend how long between Xillia and Xillia 2 one plays the games. So much rehash that even trophies are rehashed :V

That being said, I enjoyed its plot and it was honest to God one of the darkest JRPGs ever. It's not so much bad shit happens as it is
-you- cause bad shit to happen
. And you're all :'(

Stardust_Comet

Neo Member
Thanks for the responses!

Btw Zestiria's combat looks interesting, anyone picking it up next month?

I'm not picking it up next month but I will be picking it up next year at some time. I have a back log to catch up on and a budget it adhere to, so Zestiria is going to have to wait.

And agreed, the combat does look interesting. Hoping it'll be fun to play too.

Shun

I am, preordered for Alisha's strap and Hi-Ougi. Will probably dip for some costumes too.

I didn't see it on PSN at all so I just said screw it and decided to get it release day.

I've been replaying Destiny(2) and Graces to prepare myself.

Datschge

I heard (don't know how true it is so feel free to debunk me) that since the official Tales forum was closed down, they've given less care about keep the artes consistent. Since apparently, they could find out what translations they already gave to artes there. Although now we have a wikia... so maybe someone should tell them about that.
The closure of the official Tales forum was a result of neglect, the neglect itself started once producer Peter Garza left Bamco after Vesperia. Up to that point the forum was even credited in the localized staff rolls, after that point Tales (after resuming Western releases) apparently has been stuff that simply has to be done (without needing much care) for the Western producers left there. There are the dedicated Tales PR people in Europe, but that's just that, PR. It's a good thing they at least keep using 8-4 for translations.

Was thinking about it, but seeing as the pre-order strap is random, didn't want to get stuck with a character I didn't want, lol

Also, since the western release will be within the same year, might as well wait instead of trying to squeeze a run through the Japanese version in between then.

Bladenic

Still not sure whether I'll import Zestiria. Considering it's gonna have the quickest localization since Vesperia I may just hold off.

Speaking of importing, I ordered Innocence R a month ago and it still hasn't arrived. Contacted seller and they said they shipped it and it should be here within 14-21 business days.. But Amazon said it shipped Nov. 3rd lol

Rhapsody

Banned
Not importing. Been burned out from Tales at the moment. With the news on dual audio, I don't mind waiting for the US version.

It'll probably have JP exclusive DLC costumes, but I haven't been interested in costumes with the current graphics style.

Bladenic

Sure enough, I complained on GAF and ToIR was waiting in mail box haha. Started it up and got Iria, now back to KH2 till later. You can tell ToIR came before TOHR since that game looks much better.

Stardust_Comet

Neo Member
The closure of the official Tales forum was a result of neglect, the neglect itself started once producer Peter Garza left Bamco after Vesperia. Up to that point the forum was even credited in the localized staff rolls, after that point Tales (after resuming Western releases) apparently has been stuff that simply has to be done (without needing much care) for the Western producers left there. There are the dedicated Tales PR people in Europe, but that's just that, PR. It's a good thing they at least keep using 8-4 for translations.

Thank you for the explanation.

Shun

Not importing. Been burned out from Tales at the moment. With the news on dual audio, I don't mind waiting for the US version.

It'll probably have JP exclusive DLC costumes, but I haven't been interested in costumes with the current graphics style.

I'm sorta grateful that I haven't played a new Tales game in 1.5 years since Xillia 2 came out. I'm really itching for a Tales game right now. I hope this game's story is as good as Vesperia and that it shoots to be one of the better Tales games.

I mean I liked Graces story, I'll take it if it's as good as at least Grace's story. But I may be a minority opinion there.

Was there always dual audio in the games or is this the first time they're doing dual audio for a mainline game?

Rhapsody

Banned
I'm sorta grateful that I haven't played a new Tales game in 1.5 years since Xillia 2 came out. I'm really itching for a Tales game right now. I hope this game's story is as good as Vesperia and that it shoots to be one of the better Tales games.

I mean I liked Graces story, I'll take it if it's as good as at least Grace's story. But I may be a minority opinion there.

Was there always dual audio in the games or is this the first time they're doing dual audio for a mainline game?

I liked Graces story in terms of scenario on where to go. Plus I enjoyed the characters in the skits.
The story itself, I think it had a good idea, but it could've been executed better.

Dual Audio is a new thing. They first started using it with Symphonia PS3.

Link1110

I liked Graces story in terms of scenario on where to go. Plus I enjoyed the characters in the skits.
The story itself, I think it had a good idea, but it could've been executed better.

Dual Audio is a new thing. They first started using it with Symphonia PS3.

I didn't hate the story as much as almost everyone here but there was a long stretch where the
possessed
guy with astrong connection to the lead tries to get crystals and the heroes rush around to stop him then you go to space. That reminded me a little too much of something. Of course everything relating to the big bad was really good. The execution in the middle was just bad though.

Stardust_Comet

Neo Member

I wouldn't be expecting for Vesperia quality just yet. Vesperia was built up to from Symphonia and Abyss. We gotta first hit that game that makes us think "holy shit, Tales is back".

That said, I am hoping for Zesteria to help get us to that point.

Others have already answered that Symphonia Chronicles was the first time for dual audio, but I'm hoping that if they keep doing this, that means they'll be more thoughtful about their translations in future.

Shun

Idk I honestly thought those 3-4 years from Vesperia PS3/Graces f to Xillia 2 were pretty good after the mess that was Symphonia 2 was. The DS games were also pretty good too.

I mean Xillia was pretty close. We didn't get something considered AMAZING, but Tales has a decent level of quality to it. At least in my opinion.

I mean I think more so than the plot I enjoyed Grace's characters. The little things like skits and dialogue are much more important imo. I love interacting with the characters and learning the little things about them and that is more important than the overall plot.

IMO the most important thing about the series is combat fluidity and character development through skits and side stories. You really see the characters in a different light compared to the main plot.

I haven't played a Tales of series game in English yet. Is the translation/voice considered to be bad?

Stardust_Comet

Neo Member
Idk I honestly thought those 3-4 years from Vesperia PS3/Graces f to Xillia 2 were pretty good after the mess that was Symphonia 2 was. The DS games were also pretty good too.

I mean Xillia was pretty close. We didn't get something considered AMAZING, but Tales has a decent level of quality to it. At least in my opinion.

I mean I think more so than the plot I enjoyed Grace's characters. The little things like skits and dialogue are much more important imo. I love interacting with the characters and learning the little things about them and that is more important than the overall plot.

IMO the most important thing about the series is combat fluidity and character development through skits and side stories. You really see the characters in a different light compared to the main plot.

I haven't played a Tales of series game in English yet. Is the translation/voice considered to be bad?

I meant more as in, Vesperia was the end and peak of that amazing era for Tales. We have to hit the first "amazing" game (which would be Symphonia in this analogy) before we get to another Vesperia.

But yeah, at least we're getting decent games consistently it seams. Even the people that hate Graces still enjoy its battle system.

As for translations, the voice over is pretty good. You get a lot more voice actors who really put effort in their roles. But there's some voicing directions that people find off or just don't agree with so it ruins it for them.

The translations... well really, Hearts is the one that everyone is finding just offensive in the translation department. If I watch any clip about it, and not even once can I find the English translation matching either the Japanese voice over or the facial expressions in skits, then you've really messed up. Outside of that, if you don't mind them not being consistent with the artes, the translations do try their best to keep the overall tone of scenes from the games I've played. (Particularly with Xillia, I find some people are severely nitpicky about the changes to certain jokes in skits)

Rainy

Banned
Since the other thread is dead....just beat chapter 12 in ToX2 and wow this game is a bit darker than I expected!

I figured Ludger and Elle were related somehow, but the father thing...nice twist! But Victor was a total son of a bitch to beat. Talk about over-powered.

kimtish

Neo Member
playing through Tales of Hearts R.

This... may be one of my favorite JRPGS I've ever played.

Light, funny, face paced with great combat.

VERY pleasantly surprised.

Rhapsody

Banned
Since the other thread is dead....just beat chapter 12 in ToX2 and wow this game is a bit darker than I expected!

I figured Ludger and Elle were related somehow, but the father thing...nice twist! But Victor was a total son of a bitch to beat. Talk about over-powered.

Game gets pretty good here on out.

Rainy

Banned
Ch 15 of ToX2

That anime cutscene and everything with Julius was pretty heartbreaking. Haven't been that emotionally impacted by a Tales game in a long time...

Falk

that puzzling face
Ch 15 of ToX2

That anime cutscene and everything with Julius was pretty heartbreaking. Haven't been that emotionally impacted by a Tales game in a long time...

heartbreaking because it teased you with what could have been a game where Ludger is voiced

:C

Top Bottom