• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Division 2 |OT| Now a wall can stop Washington's fall

Aren117

what about spray like you spray bullets all over place i thought it would be stability but found out that its not.

That is Accuracy, Stability is for recoil.

and about that crafting problem... does game does that on purpose like if i crafted blue armor long time ago so even after 3 hrs of playing and leveling i wont get any blue gear ??? really ? so my lvl6 crafted body armor is still better then lvl 9 what they give me on street , but its garbage compare to mine... so i shoudnt crafted anything then at all i duno maybe then game would give me better stuff...

Equipment have different builds (tank, dps, skill power) so a higher LV body armor may offer less defense than your current one, but other bonus like % in dmg or skills. You craft to fill holes in your gear, or you can also just buy some gear at the markets. But you mostly ignore till you reach endgame and get blueprints.

Verdanth

Holy shit just did the

President Ellis mission, ahah, having the president gunning like a bro with you. What a blast.

Why can't I play with GAF members on PS4? I canbarely catch anyone online :(

I got some 470 with respec, but I still don't get the logic behind it :pie_thinking: improving gear score on TD1 was easier, I think

I don't see the logic either,I mean you try to get better loot to increase your armor and health and other things,then when you play on challenge difficulty and you feel like none of this matters,1-2 shots and your dead,pfff

Last edited:

bati

I got some 470 with respec, but I still don't get the logic behind it :pie_thinking: improving gear score on TD1 was easier, I think

Apparently inscribing a higher roll stat on a piece of gear increases it's item level. O vaguely recall reading on Reddit where someone tested this and said you can increase the same stat 3 times before you hit the cap for mats used.

waylo

Banned
I don't have a real problem with the difficulty as my friends and I have all been able to run WT4 challenge without much of an issue, however, I do get the complaints about damage scaling. Sometimes damage feels really inconsistent coming from enemies. There will be times when I feel moderately tanky and other times I just fall over dead to a single bullet. I do hope they make armor and health (specifically health) more of a meaningful stat. Health currently is useless as no matter what your HP is, if your armor is drained, you will likely die to the next shot.

I know a lot of this stuff will get there over time, but I can't say I'm not a little disappointed that so many stats and builds seem useless. Was hoping maybe they'd have learned a bit more from their time with the first game.

Aren117

Apparently inscribing a higher roll stat on a piece of gear increases it's item level. O vaguely recall reading on Reddit where someone tested this and said you can increase the same stat 3 times before you hit the cap for mats used.

The more confusing part is how values are determinant for Gear Score. Transfering from a higher gear score would be, logicaly, more valuable than from a gear with lower score, but this does not seem to be the case in this game? And the game also makes stats capped, so trying to transfer a higher stat again will not improve it at all.

izYIoIY.png

Anyway, here's what I've got from the weekly clan cache. Unlucky roll with the knee cups, as I already have a 465 one ):

KUFYwaX.png

scalman

i wonder do all those loot or reward wepons comes as tease for you or as to annoy you , when all i use is assault rifles and from like 50 guns in loot containers and as reward zero was assault riffles. can game look at your stats look at what you using and say ok i will give him assault rifles because hes using them ... instead i will give him all other weapons for 10 hrs but not assault rifles ... :messenger_sad_relieved:
or its level thing and on higher levels like 30 they just cant give you anything better ... im at 30 for long time and still doing missions , yh problem with doing too much side missions and level up too fast and then you still got all those main missions but you allready lvl 30 .... :messenger_pensive:

Improving gear score in Division 1 was easier in the end, but there were points it was a lot tougher than it is in Division 2.

Also, keep in mind that gear score is just a gauge and NOT the end-all-be-all. I have a 450 LMG vastly superior to any 450+ LMG I've dropped.

That's why it used to piss me off in Divison 1 when you could get kicked from pubs for GS even though your gear could be better than anything max GS would allow.

Last edited:

scalman

As i understand first you need reach lvl 30 and do all missions just then strongholds will unlock then after playing them just then map will change and you will go to world tier. I still got lot of job to do . well as i clean all map before going any further.

i wonder do all those loot or reward wepons comes as tease for you or as to annoy you , when all i use is assault rifles and from like 50 guns in loot containers and as reward zero was assault riffles. can game look at your stats look at what you using and say ok i will give him assault rifles because hes using them ... instead i will give him all other weapons for 10 hrs but not assault rifles ... :messenger_sad_relieved:
or its level thing and on higher levels like 30 they just cant give you anything better ... im at 30 for long time and still doing missions , yh problem with doing too much side missions and level up too fast and then you still got all those main missions but you allready lvl 30 .... :messenger_pensive:
Its just your luck with the drop rate,for me they drop like crazy,assault rifles,rifles,smg's. And don't waste your time spending doing side missions at lvl 30,there is no point,do main missions to finish them and reach WT1,and after that focus in reaching WT4,don't spend too much time in lower tiers cause there is no point in grinding there,the last tier is where you should try and make you build and do side missions for gear.Knowing that on april 5 they will release WT5 I see no point in playing cause everything is pointless now because my gear will change again in WT5

Last edited:

scalman

Well i did oposite of that as im having 60 hrs now playing and im just finishing now last main mission i guess. But i will have all control points for myself to just go there and check nee loot. No need do side missions again so doing them before or after its still same. I did it because of fun and still doing. I didnt go way as most went straight to main missions i went other way

Aren117

Well i did oposite of that as im having 60 hrs now playing and im just finishing now last main mission i guess.

You are doing fine, don't worry. World Tier 5 is delayed so people don't need to rush and can actually prepare for the harder activities. Lots of SHD points and blueprints on Side Missions, so you can choose any skill you want/need and get more benefits with the perks.

My only tip is: when you reach World Tier 1, don't do every Invaded Mission rigth away. Do 2 missions > Stronghold, to upgrade the world tier, then repeat till World Tier 4. It will be easier to drop better gear this way so you can enjoy the tiers at a nice pacing instead of grinding.

bati

Couple things I learned today:

- Clutch is relatively useless, even on a ~50% chc AR
- Patience comboed with Safeguard is insane.
- It pays off to pay attention to mod slots on your gear because they are a great way to meet perk requirements
- Normal Black Tusk bounties reward 3 spec points. I just ran about 12 of them, I don't know how fast they refresh though.

I ended up switching to Survivalist today and made an ar/shotty build focused around Berserker, Patience and Safeguard, with Clutch on gloves because I literally did not have any better alternative. Berserker does get a fair bit of use on challenging difficulty which is also where you need it the most. I was thinking of using Unstoppable force but the buff apparently only lasts 10s. Berserker works as a huge boost when you really need it (enemies rushing you) so I kept it in the build. Shotguns are extremely fun on everything but challenging difficulty, enemy health pool is simply too high there. The real challenge was finding the right combination of pieces so that I only had 5 offensive attributes. In the end I had to take some subpar pieces just to be able to activate Safeguard but I have to say it was really worth it.

It is harder! But how can that be a bad thing? :messenger_savoring: I think there are some fairness tweaks that have to happen but I am quite pleased with it overall.

As for the bounties, I still haven't quite figured out when and why the bounties that give spec points spawn, but I did notice the symbol that indicates spec points rewards, which makes them easier to spot.

It looks like a rotated square with a down arrow inside of it. I'd post a pic, but all of my spec point bounties are gated right now. Got some work to do.

thief183

I'm loving this game way more than the frist.

Btw guys I don't understand the obsession with gear score, synergy is better that just looking at that number, track your stats and build your equipment according to what you really need, you will notice the difference.

Btw don't know if you all noticed already but soloing challange levels is easier than doing them in team...

It is harder! But how can that be a bad thing? :messenger_savoring: I think there are some fairness tweaks that have to happen but I am quite pleased with it overall.

As for the bounties, I still haven't quite figured out when and why the bounties that give spec points spawn, but I did notice the symbol that indicates spec points rewards, which makes them easier to spot.

It looks like a rotated square with a down arrow inside of it. I'd post a pic, but all of my spec point bounties are gated right now. Got some work to do.

I don't frequent the subreddit very often but when I do, I always seem to find hot threads regarding YouTubers/Streamers complaining about the game being too hard or the DZ not being "Gank Zone" enough, and almost everyone on Reddit is begging the devs not to change or cave into the streamers' complaints.

I like the difficulty. Can't just run straight at enemies, even at easier levels

I have found duos to be the sweet spot for challenging missions.

An exception to this is the bank vault. I think defending the computer is easier with 4 than 2.

thief183

I have found duos to be the sweet spot for challenging missions.

An exception to this is the bank vault. I think defending the computer is easier with 4 than 2.

We did not manage to defend the computer in 2 ppl, so my friend left the group, I do that objective in solo and then he comes back ^^

MastAndo

Been playing solo primarily being that my friends can't seem to find the time to jump on (or have lost interest), and yeah, this game is getting pretty tough. I'm only level 28, and I'm finding myself dying more and more often. I won't go as far to say that I'm not enjoying the challenge, but the means of going about making things more "difficult" on the player just don't seem ideal to me. NPC's are becoming far more mobile, which makes sense, but some are just running straight in my direction to gain position behind me, not really concerned that I'm unloading a magazine into them, as they know I can't kill them straight away. I kind of feel that option should be used sparingly by enemies, or advantageous position should be gained out of sight or while I'm not firing directly upon the flanker, or not at all.

Also, I complained about this before, but I think if you get the jump on an enemy by blind-siding them with a barrage of bullets, they shouldn't be able to break into an inhuman sprint for cover instantaneously as the very first bullet hits. I know it's still a game, and I'm not expecting realism, but I think if I'm firing an AR with a quick RPM into an unsuspecting red bar, the game should be fair and consider him (or her) dead in the water.

On top of that, the whole thing with enemies sensing the reticle and hiding in cover until it's moved off is just not a fun game mechanic. It turns into a whole tug of war where the game is reading your controller, and then you're doing things to fool it, and I find it detracts from the experience. I think more enemies would be a better way to add to the challenge rather than enemies that rely on this tactics.

Still having a blast, but I feel like the frustrating elements will compound if I keep going this solo route.

Bluecondor

Been playing solo primarily being that my friends can't seem to find the time to jump on (or have lost interest), and yeah, this game is getting pretty tough. I'm only level 28, and I'm finding myself dying more and more often. I won't go as far to say that I'm not enjoying the challenge, but the means of going about making things more "difficult" on the player just don't seem ideal to me.

I'm afraid that it's going to get worse for you as a solo player. I hit level 30 and World Tier 1 last week, after several of my clanmates convinced me to group up with them for the stronghholds. Playing solo on World Tier 1 has not been enjoyable at all. Control points are very difficult and getting flanked by an enemy usually leads to death (specifically two deaths as I run with the revive hive as one of my skills). When I run solo missions on world tier 1, it takes a very long time to get through a mission, as I typically get overwhelmed by enemies at several points, which challenges you as a solo player to figure out how to deal with this.

Now - to be fair - my build is not at all specialized yet, as I only have a collection of pieces from various gear sets and am running with the highest armor as my baseline. One of my clanmates is a solo player who has several more optimized builds with sets of three high end gearset pieces and their attendant talents. He definitely seems to be enjoying world tier 1 more than me, as his specialized sets fit his playstyle. So - it appears evident that solo players like us must grind for gear before we can enjoy the respective bumps up in world tiers.

Last edited:
On top of that, the whole thing with enemies sensing the reticle and hiding in cover until it's moved off is just not a fun game mechanic. It turns into a whole tug of war where the game is reading your controller, and then you're doing things to fool it, and I find it detracts from the experience. I think more enemies would be a better way to add to the challenge rather than enemies that rely on this tactics.

This I agree with entirely. It's really annoying and difficulty not in a fun way.

MastAndo

Now - to be fair - my build is not at all specialized yet, as I only have a collection of pieces from various gear sets and am running with the highest armor as my baseline. One of my clanmates is a solo player who has several more optimized builds with sets of three high end gearset pieces and their attendant talents. He definitely seems to be enjoying world tier 1 more than me, as his specialized sets fit his playstyle. So - it appears evident that solo players like us must grind for gear before we can enjoy the respective bumps up in world tiers.
I meant to add that disclaimer to my post as well. I'm only now starting to focus on my build, making sure certain talents are useful and that they're active. That does seem to ease things up a bit, this is true.

On that note, should I be concerned with holding on to anything at this point for recalibration later? - i.e. will the talents on gear be much better as I hit level 30 and progress through the world tiers, or might like, a level 28 piece of gear have a usable talent? I've seen talents on my gear that like, WT4 players use and recommend in their builds, but I'm wondering if the actual specifics of the talent change in higher level gear.

Last edited:
I meant to add that disclaimer to my post as well. I'm only now starting to focus on my build, making sure certain talents are useful and that they're active. That does seem to ease things up a bit, this is true.

On that note, should I be concerned with holding on to anything at this point for recalibration later? - i.e. will the talents on gear be much better as I hit level 30 and progress through the world tiers, or might like, a level 28 piece of gear have a usable talent? I've seen talents on my gear that like, WT4 players use and recommend in their builds, but I'm wondering if the actual specifics of the talent change in higher level gear.

Here's a cheat sheet I use based on my own experience but also thanks in large part to Reddit.

Some talents are rarer than others, so you should definitely save the rare ones that you like.

unknown.png

WD=weapon damage WTD=weapon type damage (a la Rifle or SMG)

Last edited:

HotPocket69

Banned
What the fuck does that chart even mean?

I have absolutely no clue how to handle post campaign level 30+ shit

Hopefully I can just hit 30 and finish the story this weekend in time for Borderlands on Tuesday

What the fuck does that chart even mean?

I have absolutely no clue how to handle post campaign level 30+ shit

Hopefully I can just hit 30 and finish the story this weekend in time for Borderlands on Tuesday

It's just a quick reference for max attributes and talents that are noteworthy.

bati

Hotdamn, that's some good work. Very easy to read and quickly check when you're making rough outlines of your future build. Another crucial piece of info for me however is the default stat type that rolls on individual brands, as well as the stat weights for subsequent rolls. It's unbelievably annoying to get the attributes to align with some combinations of perk requirements.

Verdanth

I've noticed that I have a strange circle HUD right close to my main gun that always say "00". It does not change at all.

What exactly is that?

bati

I've noticed that I have a strange circle HUD right close to my main gun that always say "00". It does not change at all.

What exactly is that?

I think that's a stack counter for some talents. For example Breadbasket adds stacks that increase the next headshot damage for every bodyshot you hit, and stacks up to 10 I believe.

cormack12

HotPocket69 HotPocket69

So when you get to 30, just focus on loot and getting your gearscore to 450. That usually means equipping the latest and best raw drops. I find it inefficient to start optimising that soon. So clear the strongholds and just run missions, control points etc. until you get to about 450. Buy up all blueprints from vendors, complete projects for blueprints etc.

Now you can start optimising properly. You have six piece of armour (mask, gloves, kneepads, chest, backpack and holster). These are branded with names (e.g. Petrov, Wyvern, 5.11 Tactical, Providence). Each branded set has a bonus - if you get 3 of the same, you get a set bonus. See this image - under Wyvern gear. For one piece you get +1% crit dmg, if you have two piece you also get drone skill power too.

I would suggest one set is providence just for the versatility and another that suits your playstyle. Not every item drops in every set so plan which you want to pursue. I chose Fenris as secondary because I use an AR. Here is a document where you can choose what brand you want in each slot (on brand sets tab)

Link

So as you're grinding you are now grinding for a Fenris kneepad for example. And that's not all. That's step one. Really you're grinding for a Fenris kneepad with 2 talents (the above image only has one - destructive). You can't add talent slots to items. Once you have your gear 'set', this is where it gets interesting. Now, you're looking for the same equipment type with the talents you want. These talents are purely your choice and can be looked up here (on the gear talents tab)

Link

Again in the above image, the kneepad has +explosive damage - this is no good if you're not an explosive class, or just don't use them. So you'd grind until you got a kneepad drop that had a talent you wanted from that sheet. Let's say 'Hard-hitting' (+15% dmg to elites). So what you'd do is go to the calibration station in the Base of Operations and choose to recalibrate your current kneepad talent. It would discard the +explosive damage and replace it with +dmg to elites. The item you are infusing the talent from would be consumed as part of the process. You see now why you want two talents on everything (for the bonuses). You ideally want to do this for every piece of equipment. You might choose different talents on each item to spread your stats.

Then you have mods. This si what the blueprints are for. First you need to upgrade your workbench. If you're on PS4 you just go to the crafting station and at the bottom it will say upgrade station and you have to hold square to be able to craft higher quality items. Now you can go into the subcategories and craft those mods (this is what you use the loot and consumable for in the real world). Go back to your menu and access your gear items and press square - you can now put these mods into the gear which also add bonuses - look at gear mods here:

https://www.gamerevolution.com/guid...-what-are-weapon-skill-and-gear-mods#/slide/1

Now that you know the above - you do exactly the same with the weapons. The idea being that through this process you end up with a tuned setup that can melt elites, facetank or be a crit machine. Also note, this tuning will depend heavily on whether you do PvP or PvE so that's why people tend to have one char for each.

Great post cormack12 cormack12 .

Just one note: you don't have to upgrade your crafting bench until you are going to craft stuff with gear score.

Perhaps an oversight by the developers, but the mods you craft at WT1 are cheaper and scale with you to WT4 and presumably 5.

Edit: Weapon mods, for clarity. Skill/gear mods have GS of course.

Last edited:
So, last night we did the Capitol building stronghold on challenging and the fog was nuts.

This was the hardest experience I've ever had in a stronghold. Couldn't see anyone until they were right on top of you.

bati

I love it when weather effects actually add to the challenge to the games. Also, it might be placebo but I could swear the AI's vision gets diminished in low visibility conditions too.

I definitely think the AI is affected by the conditions. The AI is so well down in most aspects.

That makes the NPCs sensing your aim or being able to shoot shotguns like they're sniper rifles all the more frustrating.

Last edited:

bati

Are there any good ways to quickly find missing collectables, short of going to YT to look up their locations, or otherwise looking at out of game resources? I've hit the BP limit it seems and don't really have anything to do in the game until the 5th when we get a new tier. And I enjoyed the game so much up to this point that I'm legit finding it hard to play something else right now.

The ones ISAC has detected are in your collectibles log. You can click on it, and it'll provide the GPS.

I don't know of any easy ways for collectibles that ISAC hasn't detected.

bati

The ones ISAC has detected are in your collectibles log. You can click on it, and it'll provide the GPS.

I don't know of any easy ways for collectibles that ISAC hasn't detected.

Thanks, wasn't aware this is a feature! Seems like the game is full of things that are hidden deep in the menu layers. I had no idea you could watch the videos of some collectables until I came across a reddit post.

Verdanth

Anyone with one SHD cache left, the one thats on a construction site on Downtown West, which has the door closed?

Apparently the door only opens on the side mission...and it seems there's no way to repeat it. So if you miss it on the side mission, bye bye.

Top Bottom