• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls Online Tamriel Unlimited - |OT| - Console edition

So, for PS4 Pro users, are you using the Hi-Res or Better Effects option? The framerate seems the same either way but personally the hi-res option in this game really looks better to me in 4K than whatever effects they are adding to the 1080p version.

Mideon

So the HDR patch came out for this yesterday and it looks AWFUL on XB1 at least. Gamma is all messed up so the game suffers from major black crush. Make sure to disable HDR in your settings before playing this game, at least until it's fixed.
Just tried it on PS4 Pro and it makes it look so much better to me. So far this game looks the best hdr of all I have tried on the pro

Just started the game and doing the first quests, I have a question: Is there a location to buy weapons? I want to level the dual wield asap, but for the moment I only have the giant 2-handed sword they give you at the beginning. I'm the lionesque race, don't know if it's important for the starting location

Just started the game and doing the first quests, I have a question: Is there a location to buy weapons?

There is a blacksmith in every town AFAIK. You should be able to bring up the map in town and hover over different locations. It will tell you what vendors are in that building, Blacksmith, tailor, banker, etc.

Kalentan

So is there no point in doing dungeons? I need to do Spindleclutch and have been waiting over 26m in the queue. Which is so crazy cause I swear I see players EVERYWHERE. So it's not like the game has a player problem on PS4...

Really want to join the Undaunted. :(

So I just noticed the HDR slider and put all the way to the left. While that helps the black crush issue, the color saturation levels look FUBAR now. What a terrible HDR patch...

gossi

Just noticed the game started in HDR mode from yesterday's update.

In the graphics options you can adjust HDR brightness, there's also options to switch resolution between 4K Native and 1080p Enhanced.

Nheco

Guys, how this game fares nowadays? I never was into mmos, but I always liked Elder Scrolls series. The disk version is dirt cheap here in Brazil, less than 10 USD for todays exchange rate. Even so, I don't wish to buy just because it's cheap.

The game still being constantly updated? It's fun for someone who usually doesn't like mmos but like Elder Scrolls a lot? It's ok to play alone or do you need friends?

Thanks in advance!

dubq

Guys, how this game fares nowadays? I never was into mmos, but I always liked Elder Scrolls series. The disk version is dirt cheap here in Brazil, less than 10 USD for todays exchange rate. Even so, I don't wish to buy just because it's cheap.

The game still being constantly updated? It's fun for someone who usually doesn't like mmos but like Elder Scrolls a lot? It's ok to play alone or do you need friends?

Thanks in advance!

Lots of updates and it plays basically like an online Skyrim now. Grouping and dungeons are optional (but they're fun so I highly recommend them) so you can solo basically all of the game.

Also, player housing announced for Feb 2017! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-LKTAXllNPg

Tanston

If you play this on the PC is there built in controller support? The thing I love most about FF 14 is how well it plays with a controller on the pc. My wrists are not what they used to be, grinding away for hours at an MMO without a controller is rough.

Volimar

If you play this on the PC is there built in controller support? The thing I love most about FF 14 is how well it plays with a controller on the pc. My wrists are not what they used to be, grinding away for hours at an MMO without a controller is rough.

Yup. There wasn't on launch but it's in now.

LiQuid!

I proudly and openly admit to wishing death upon the mothers of people I don't like

I loooved FF14s controller support, but by high level it got to be such a fiasco trying to properly map a job's full skill loadout (and I played before hward, which added new skills to be already overstuffed hotbars).

I've been playing a lot with ESO's controller support lately and it's so great. Total UI overhaul (I imagine it's how the game runs on the consoles) that feels a lot like the vanilla Skyrim UI. Very intuitive. Makes playing the game really fun.

So I think I'm going to pick up the Gold Edition on my way home today. I've been reading a few guides, but any advice on choosing a race/class would be appreciated--especially which ones to avoid.

I'm inclined toward a tanky melee character, but I'm open to whatever works well and is interesting to play.

Thanks

Volimar

So I think I'm going to pick up the Gold Edition on my way home today. I've been reading a few guides, but any advice on choosing a race/class would be appreciated--especially which ones to avoid.

I'm inclined toward a tanky melee character, but I'm open to whatever works well and is interesting to play.

Thanks

Given that you can play practically the entire game solo, it's completely up to you what rank or class to be. I know that's kind of a stock answer, but it's really true in TES games including this one. Honestly, I'd just try out what looks the most interesting before looking at people's builds.

Given that you can play practically the entire game solo, it's completely up to you what rank or class to be. I know that's kind of a stock answer, but it's really true in TES games including this one. Honestly, I'd just try out what looks the most interesting before looking at people's builds.

Agreed. Just have fun in this game and worry about the builds and team roles later on. Part of the fun in Elder Scrolls games is playing however you want to play, IMO, and this game lets you do that.

LiQuid!

I proudly and openly admit to wishing death upon the mothers of people I don't like
Started playing this again over the weekend.

I'd stopped a little while after hitting 50 for the first time because I didn't like how the post-game (go do another faction's quests starting from their newbie areas) was a ghost town, but the new level scaling patch seems to have rectified that by combining the post-game instance with the regular instance of the zone, so I can hang out with all the newer characters going thru that content.

Still don't think this feels like playing a real Elder Scrolls game, since while you can go anywhere and do anything, all quests in this game are localized around a small area and all the zones have a pretty linear progression thru them, but it's a vast improvement over how it was. It feels more like Guild Wars 2 now with less level restriction.

Is there any GAF presence on the PC? Doesn't seem like it. The entirety of my time with this game has been sans guild and it's starting to feel kinda lonely.

Started playing this again over the weekend.

I'd stopped a little while after hitting 50 for the first time because I didn't like how the post-game (go do another faction's quests starting from their newbie areas) was a ghost town, but the new level scaling patch seems to have rectified that by combining the post-game instance with the regular instance of the zone, so I can hang out with all the newer characters going thru that content.

Still don't think this feels like playing a real Elder Scrolls game, since while you can go anywhere and do anything, all quests in this game are localized around a small area and all the zones have a pretty linear progression thru them, but it's a vast improvement over how it was. It feels more like Guild Wars 2 now with less level restriction.

Is there any GAF presence on the PC? Doesn't seem like it. The entirety of my time with this game has been sans guild and it's starting to feel kinda lonely.

GAF isn't the place to look to for MMO guilds. Most people here play too many different games to stick to an MMO. I would do some hunting in more MMO focused communities to find a good guild.

MaKTaiL

New Life Event might just be the worst holiday event I've ever participated in my whole life. The Halloween event was so much fun, they just had to repeat what was so sucessful on that one. What we got instead was a boring crowded mess.

Raxious

Planning to start all over on console again after not having played this for a long time, you guys recommend NA or EU server ( if that's even an option? )

LiQuid!

Can someone help me out and explain to me what is wrong with my ESO character? I'm level 50, c127. I went thru the entire game up until last week as a tank, (5 heavy 2 light, 2h and 1h+shield) and recently respec'd to DPS so I could practice other types of abilities and see what I liked more. I didn't know how to build my character initially so I spent all my attributes equally in mag/hp/stam and have since respec'd everything to stamina because I see that recommended for both DPS and tank builds. But now that I'm a DPS I've noticed myself getting 2 shot by what used to be EASILY soloable bosses. Curious I started comparing my stats to all of my alts and mule character's stats and my level 50 templar has more than 7k HP less than my level 3 banking mule!

Here's screenshots of my character sheets for comparison:

JNmyFY4.png

qAc4MlM.png

I checked all the rest of my alts that I never played, leveled between 5-15 and every single one of them has at least 5k more HP than my level 50 character.

I did a little Google searching and the best explanations I see is that food and/or gear could be the culprit, but all of my alts are practically naked, wearing gear that doesn't give them any attribute boosts whatsoever. Sure my level 50 has gear that is all stamina focused, but only 9k HP seems absurd! Since I made the switch to DPS I have been eating soul gems like they are candy because I die to what should be simple encounters. What gives??

stn

Can anyone with the XBO version pleaseeeeeee tell me the total disc size after all new updates? Haven't updated the game since August 2015-ish, want to know what kind of a HD size commitment I'm getting into. Pretty please! :)

friz898

Hi Folks,

I bought the game during Black Friday after asking about it here earlier this page.

I have a few questions. Well actually a ton, but just a few to get started.

I'm currently making what the internet says is a "Sap Knight". I am a Nightblade with emphasis on Dual Wield and Siphoning. It gives me kind of a Shadow Knight or Necro from EQ type feeling.

I'm never having any trouble on dying save once or twice where I ran into 6 mobs. But it's starting to feel like it takes "forever" to kill something. I'm trying to figure out if I gimped my character or if this is about par for the course.

Knowing I can fix it later, I didn't put too-too much thought into creating my first character. Some day I'll play with char builders and what not. I'm currently 50/50 Siphoning and Dual Wield.

Specifically I am 39 Siphoning, 37 Dual Wield, 23 Light Armor, 32 Provisioning. Some points left over. Also on my stats I'm 50/50 on Magika and Stamina. Oh, Breton too, if matters.

I curently throw my two life-dots on the map, spamming the main one until it gets to me, in which case I start using dual wield skills. I through the bleed-dot basic DW move on it, and then tear it up with either the multi-strike finisher or the hard hits from holding the button.

So, what all am I doing wrong? Or is this seemingly fine for a newcomer?

SorchaR

Hi Folks,

I bought the game during Black Friday after asking about it here earlier this page.

I have a few questions. Well actually a ton, but just a few to get started.

I'm currently making what the internet says is a "Sap Knight". I am a Nightblade with emphasis on Dual Wield and Siphoning. It gives me kind of a Shadow Knight or Necro from EQ type feeling.

I'm never having any trouble on dying save once or twice where I ran into 6 mobs. But it's starting to feel like it takes "forever" to kill something. I'm trying to figure out if I gimped my character or if this is about par for the course.

Knowing I can fix it later, I didn't put too-too much thought into creating my first character. Some day I'll play with char builders and what not. I'm currently 50/50 Siphoning and Dual Wield.

Specifically I am 39 Siphoning, 37 Dual Wield, 23 Light Armor, 32 Provisioning. Some points left over. Also on my stats I'm 50/50 on Magika and Stamina. Oh, Breton too, if matters.

I curently throw my two life-dots on the map, spamming the main one until it gets to me, in which case I start using dual wield skills. I through the bleed-dot basic DW move on it, and then tear it up with either the multi-strike finisher or the hard hits from holding the button.

So, what all am I doing wrong? Or is this seemingly fine for a newcomer?

That's your problem. Focus on either Stamina, or Magicka. The strength of your skills and weapons in dependent on those stats, so at the moment you are only half-efficient.
Chose one.
Then equip 5 pieces of the armor connected with said stat (light for magicka, medium for stamina), one piece of the other, and one piece of heavy armor. That way you can level them all up.

Did you not put any points in the skills from the other two class skill lines? Do so now. Always keep at least one skill from all three lines so you level them all up.

Are you only using one set of weapons? You can use two and weapon-swap.

Where did you find this "Sap Knight build", and how close are you following it? Because it sounds like it's very old, and not very suited for leveling at all.
A good place to find builds is Tamriel Foundy (check the date on builds though): http://tamrielfoundry.com/
A good starting point for new players is Deltia gaming: http://deltiasgaming.com/
His leveling builds aren't too bad and at least make sure you level up all class lines and armor types.

friz898

That's your problem. Focus on either Stamina, or Magicka. The strength of your skills and weapons in dependent on those stats, so at the moment you are only half-efficient.
Chose one.
Then equip 5 pieces of the armor connected with said stat (light for magicka, medium for stamina), one piece of the other, and one piece of heavy armor. That way you can level them all up.

Did you not put any points in the skills from the other two class skill lines? Do so now. Always keep at least one skill from all three lines so you level them all up.

Are you only using one set of weapons? You can use two and weapon-swap.

Where did you find this "Sap Knight build", and how close are you following it? Because it sounds like it's very old, and not very suited for leveling at all.
A good place to find builds is Tamriel Foundy (check the date on builds though): http://tamrielfoundry.com/
A good starting point for new players is Deltia gaming: http://deltiasgaming.com/
His leveling builds aren't too bad and at least make sure you level up all class lines and armor types.

First of all, thank you.

I really like using siphoning to pull (or low on health) and then tearing them up with DW skills when they are close. Is this simply not feasible in the game? The other tips are things I didn't know and will follow up on such as armor leveling up and skill lines.

As for following a build, I'm familiar with "builds" kinda from Dark Age of Camelot, so I knew they can get very min-maxter and scientific, but since I read you can easily respec, I didn't do too much research past "what does a sap knight focus on" aka, I created this gimp spec myself lol.

Bonus Question, which I think is probably a duh answer that I already know the answer too --- am I suppose to be keeping a soul-gem skill on my bar to drain someone to fill them for rez'ing myself?

Additional Bonus Question, I read a little about how people were mad about the way this game does the amount of abilities. But that it was intentionally to force a bit of strategy vs. hotbar bloat. That said, I haven't gotten use to switching weapons very well... I have a Bow on backup and it has 2 buffing abilities on it that I can do right before a pull, but switching mid fight? Haven't really been forced to adapt to that. I'm level 27, which I imagine is extremely young in this game. I also play on PC even though I use a controller like a noob.

SorchaR

First of all, thank you.

I really like using siphoning to pull (or low on health) and then tearing them up with DW skills when they are close. Is this simply not feasible in the game? The other tips are things I didn't know and will follow up on such as armor leveling up and skill lines.

I take it you use the Strife skill for this. If you go for a Magicka build, the damage will go up for you. If you go for Stamina, which I would recommend according to how you've been playing, the heal is percentage based so it's not completely useless.

Or you could try pulling from stealth with a bow, using a heavy attack. That should do a nice bit of damage. Follow with Poison Injection (bow skill) to apply another dot before they come close.

Morphing Twin Blades to Blood Craze (in the Dual-wielding skill set) would give you a heal over time, and Killer's Blade (Assassin's blade morph) in the assassination tree would give you a finisher that heals you up as well.

As for following a build, I'm familiar with "builds" kinda from Dark Age of Camelot, so I knew they can get very min-maxter and scientific, but since I read you can easily respec, I didn't do too much research past "what does a sap knight focus on" aka, I created this gimp spec myself lol.

Bonus Question, which I think is probably a duh answer that I already know the answer too --- am I suppose to be keeping a soul-gem skill on my bar to drain someone to fill them for rez'ing myself?

I don't really use a soul skill myself, the passive skill in that line "soul summons" should be enough to keep you going once you get a decent build.

Additional Bonus Question, I read a little about how people were mad about the way this game does the amount of abilities. But that it was intentionally to force a bit of strategy vs. hotbar bloat. That said, I haven't gotten use to switching weapons very well... I have a Bow on backup and it has 2 buffing abilities on it that I can do right before a pull, but switching mid fight? Haven't really been forced to adapt to that. I'm level 27, which I imagine is extremely young in this game. I also play on PC even though I use a controller like a noob.

I've played for quite a while and I'm not level 50 yet on any of my characters, so I'm not exactly an expert. My strategy has been to either keep ranged and buff skills on one bar and melee on the other, or to use one bar for single target and one for AoE. That minimizes the amount of swapping.
I use a controller too, the game is very viable with a controller. You'll get the hang of it :)

LiQuid!

After you level up Soul Magic a bit one of its passives allows you to passively fill gems, so you don't have to keep the skill slotted. If you do public/group dungeons as you're leveling you'll have more than enough filled gems on hand for reviving.

Also switching bars mid fight is an essential skill so get used to it as soon as you can. Generally, you're going to be mostly on your main bar while having buffs and DoT stuff on your secondary bar that you need to switch to and refresh when it wears off. If you're playing DPS with bow secondary having stuff like Endless Hail up at all times is very very essential.

friz898

Thanks to both of you. I'll take this advice and well, adapt.

To the second poster, regarding switching hotbars, I was holding out hope that I would kill mobs so quick that switching weapons would almost be slowing me down, almost as if I don't even need to refresh dots or hots.

I thought everything scaled up in this game like Oblivion and Skyrim, which I hate, but oh well...but I read somewhere on one of the other forums that their is minor scaling in my area, but not like the whole game --- as in, if I returned to Daggerfall area (i'm since gone Stormhaven, and now in Wrothgar) that mobs would be 1 and 2 shotted (like most mmos) -- is this correct?

Or does everything (seemingly like my quest book) just keep scaling up? I can't even imagine the crazy calculations going on behind the scenes for the game to handle scaling when two people are both hitting a mob in a dungeon, aren't grouped, and just happen to passing by and helping for 5 seconds. If the game/server is really showing a different mob level for the same mob for everybody who walks by, and on top of that has to keep the math going while they are both fighting the same thing, then sounds very taxing/confusing to me. I imagine it's all done by percentage.

Bear in mind, the "rules of this mmo" are very different than anything I've ever encountered. I really do feel like I'm playing Skyrim, which is what I wanted. It's just so very different than 'the way things work' for any other MMO out there.

Edit: Took out useless babble.

LiQuid!

Question for anybody:

I'm going to start a guild for a group of my friends that are coming to try the game out. How does the guild's faction alignment work with their starting faction for the purposes of PVP?

For example if I align the guild with Aldmeri, can my friends join it if they pick the other 2 factions? Once they join it will we be able to group up in PVP regardless of our starting factions?

I'm primarily concerned with just hanging out and adventuring together, but I don't want to tell them they are limited in race selection for their characters. PVP would only be a secondary concern for us, but it seems like a fun thing to try out I would hate to miss out on it because we're in separate factions.

XenodudeX

ESO is $15 on PSN and I'm feeling the itch. The problem is I already paid money on FF14 and I'm having serious buyers remorse right now. :(

Never played an MMO before, but thinking of checking this out. I got my first slight taste with The Division, and it's so cool being in the world with other players and teaming up with others for missions. This seems like it would up my alley. How's the community? Friendly, welcoming to newcomers?

Kalentan

Wow. Need to redo the Elden Hollow dungeon cause my party was a bunch of assholes, left, and it forced me out before I could hand in the quest.

XenodudeX

What didn't you like about FF14?

Quests are boring. Combat is boring. Story is boring. It's just a boring game. I heard it gets better as you get into Havensword, but I only have the base game, and man it's just a slog trying to get to that point. I can't do it.

LiQuid!

Well it's an MMO so the quests are by default going to be pretty rote and fetch-questy. That will be no different in this game. If that's your biggest complaint caveat emptor for this as well.

I personally didn't like FF14's combat because I'm not a fan of the global cooldown + dozens of abilities on a half dozen hotbars style MMO combat. I much prefer ESO and Guild Wars 2 style active combat with fewer abilities that feels like a more legitimate action RPG.

I say get this game for sure for $15 (or better yet the gold edition, GMG has it for like $23 and the 4 DLCs you get with it are WELL worth the extra 8 bucks) if you're open the idea of an MMO at all because you get a TON of game for the price. Even if you feel like you want to play out FF14 for the rest of whatever time you have on your subscription. ESO will be there for you in a month or two. It's a really decent MMO.

CrovaxPSO

I bought this a while ago for PS4 but only recently put any significant amount of time into it. I hit level 10 as a Sorcerer focusing pretty much only on lightning skills and using destruction staves. I queued for a dungeon when I hit 10 and had a good time, and got a purple quality lightning staff from the bonus loot afterward which was neat.

Is there a website or resource that's like the Wowhead equivalent for this game? Since I've kind of been winging it this far I'd like a little more direction as to which skills/stats I should be focusing on. I've been wearing cloth armor just because of the magey class but I know you can wear whatever. Same with the destruction staves.

dubq

I bought this a while ago for PS4 but only recently put any significant amount of time into it. I hit level 10 as a Sorcerer focusing pretty much only on lightning skills and using destruction staves. I queued for a dungeon when I hit 10 and had a good time, and got a purple quality lightning staff from the bonus loot afterward which was neat.

Is there a website or resource that's like the Wowhead equivalent for this game? Since I've kind of been winging it this far I'd like a little more direction as to which skills/stats I should be focusing on. I've been wearing cloth armor just because of the magey class but I know you can wear whatever. Same with the destruction staves.

tamrielfoundry.com has some good skill guides in their forums and the ESO section of UESP.net is good for wiki style info..

SorchaR

Quests are boring. Combat is boring. Story is boring. It's just a boring game. I heard it gets better as you get into Havensword, but I only have the base game, and man it's just a slog trying to get to that point. I can't do it.

personally, I found the quests better in ESO. Lots of self-contained stories. I enjoyed it far more. also, ESo doesn't force you into dungeons.
The combat is faster paced as well, and casters don't get frozen in place.

Ravek

Banned
I have a PS4 code for "dragon warrior costume and yokudan charger mount".

I don't play ESO so first to quote gets it

Top Bottom