• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Final Bosman Show

CREMSteve

I'd love to know what the difference is between my pc and everyone else's that I never have any issue with the gt videos.

I tried this one on my pc and my phone and it played perfectly fine on both, yet others seem to have constant issues with it, so it's gotta be an issue on your end.

Tuck

Really nice, genuine video. Bonus bit was really interesting too - I loved that bit he did last year, nice to hear some background behind it.

I'd love to know what the difference is between my pc and everyone else's that I never have any issue with the gt videos.

I tried this one on my pc and my phone and it played perfectly fine on both, yet others seem to have constant issues with it, so it's gotta be an issue on your end.

"I don't see the problem, therefore it doesn't exist"

Kasper

Loving this laid back After Dark vibe to the episode. The Final Bosman is so consistently good like no other show I follow. I can't think of a single episode that's been bad.

AniHawk

his experience playing with charles martinet mirrors mine. i think i have a video of him going 'ow-ow-ow-ow!' when mario fell into lava.

my favorite e3 was 2004 just because it was my first one and i was in high school and everything was amazing.

haven't met a whole lot of famous folk, but i have talked with a lot of people about their games. it's pretty fun. the two people i did speak with are matt groening and michel ancel- and i was able to get pictures with both. at e309, i saw jack tretton and gave him congrats on a conference-well-done (i mean... i liked it). that same year, reggie fils-aime stopped to watch me play wii fit plus for a little before doing an interview with ign. 2009 was a pretty good year come to think of it.

Minions

Change from streaming to progressive.... streaming is awful for me on their site.

danielcw

"I don't see the problem, therefore it doesn't exist"

That's not what he said.

He is wondering what makes the difference,
as do I, because I don't have a problem either.
(maybe once a year since the redesign)

Change from streaming to progressive.... streaming is awful for me on their site.

I left everything on the default option, and I am not logged in to the site.
Using Google Chrome on Windows.
No ad- or script-blockers, but I have to click once to enable (flash) plug-in content.

I am connected from Germany.
I wondered if it a Viacom wide problem.
When GT's player is having issues, do you also have problem with Comedy Central content for example?

Kaljinyu

This episode got real. I wish I could check the credits for DJ Hero, but I never picked it up.

And playing Mario with Charles Martinet as he does the Mario voice? I'm now convinced that that's the definitive way to play Mario. What truer-to-life textures are to the visual experience in games, Martinet voicing Mario LIVE INTO YOUR EAR is to the audio experience, at least for any game with Mario in it. I feel like I'd be down. Down for the whole playthrough.

The bonus bit was so awesome. The whole episode had a really good cozy E3 community feel to it. Seriously though, if you haven't seen the bonus bit, watch it. It's about the E3 skit he did last year with the sad face.

border

So is Charles Martinet a crazy guy who does the Mario voice all the time, or is he just a working voice actor who tries to call attention to himself by doing the voice constantly at E3? Either way it seems a little sad.

And playing Mario with Charles Martinet as he does the Mario voice? I'm now convinced that that's the definitive way to play Mario. What truer-to-life textures are to the visual experience in games, Martinet voicing Mario LIVE INTO YOUR EAR is to the audio experience, at least for any game with Mario in it. I feel like I'd be down. Down for the whole playthrough.

The problem is, Martinet doesn't just "Wahoo", he starts doing these long ad-libs. That's when it starts sounding crazy and strange, especially since we so rarely hear Mario officially talk at length.

Nintendo put up an official Mario soundboard for something recently (I think it was making voicemail messages or something), and it had a bit of the rambling Mario in it. Can't find it offhand, though.

sasuke_91

I think this was mentioned already, but the best Final Bosman episodes are the ones where Kyle doesn't have his suit on and has this general "casual vibe" coming from him :D
I really loved the episode. The bonus bit was great. Now I really want to go to E3 someday^^

Laranja

I think this was mentioned already, but the best Final Bosman episodes are the ones where Kyle doesn't have his suit on and has this general "casual vibe" coming from him :D
I really loved the episode. The bonus bit was great. Now I really want to go to E3 someday^^

You didn't want to go to E3 prior to watching the episode? Did I take a wrong turn somewhere and ended up on a knitting board or something like that? :p

sasuke_91

You didn't want to go to E3 prior to watching the episode? Did I take a wrong turn somewhere and ended up on a knitting board or something like that? :p

Haha, of course I didn't mean it like that^^
But yeah, hearing from someone's experience at an event always gets me hyped a bit more.

So is Charles Martinet a crazy guy who does the Mario voice all the time, or is he just a working voice actor who tries to call attention to himself by doing the voice constantly at E3? Either way it seems a little sad.

He is eccentric

i know its kinda the same in a way

Ashtar

If the video player sucks why not just download the video? I did it for the first time since my internet sucks down here and it was fine.
Anyway a good ep, it's funny his experience mirrored mine when I was at PAX for the first time, I didn't really know what to do and I hate waiting in lines so I just milled around talking to indie developers.

atr0cious

I think voice actors go crazy overtime, especially if they have recurring roles. There was a video of the voice of Morton, and it was so cringeworthy the way she interacted with the interviewer.

I think voice actors go crazy overtime, especially if they have recurring roles. There was a video of the voice of Morton, and it was so cringeworthy the way she interacted with the interviewer.
I dunno, some of them seem to be crazy before they became voice actors. I know the dub voice actress for Asuka in Evangelion has a fuck ton of Asuka merchandise. I think she's built a little shrine too.

atr0cious

Haha Starfox x Metroid!

He's right, if that, or that megaton gif ever come into existence, I don't think there is a forum that could hold the melt downs. Hopefully the NFP comes with something like Nintendo Infinity.
I dunno, some of them seem to be crazy before they became voice actors. I know the dub voice actress for Asuka in Evangelion has a fuck ton of Asuka merchandise. I think she's built a little shrine too.

Well of course, it takes all different types, but I specifically mean, that they have to embody someone that's not them, live them, think what they would theoretically think, some are even called in to help with the writing process because they know what SoandSo would do. Actors do this on movies and TV shows, and they're doing it for far less time than someone like Martinet who has lived with a kingdom inside his head for the past couple decades. It's fucking sad.

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
I want Nintendo to show that exact trailer now. Doesn't even matter if that game exists or ever will.

Something tells me there's going to be far more don'ts happening than do's.

And Kyle:

WqEzHFM.jpg

Don't stop believing man, it will come one day.

I want Nintendo to show that exact trailer now. Doesn't even matter if that game exists or ever will.

I almost feel like if they had debuted something like that, and it had been that big of an explosion, they would (or should) pull back and find some way, any way, to make it work. Even if they just took the core concept, and completely restarted development on it.

Nintendoland was such a bad ending. The fireworks kept exploding in the same spot, over and over. I don't think it's even like that in the final game, but either way, I'd seen more varied fireworks in SNES games, and that was what they ended their conference on.

To be honest, even before I actually watched the video, one of the comments made me think "Yeah, I kind of want Star Fox X Metroid now." Could even sneak in a little F-Zero/Captain Falcon as a side plot.

BY2K

Membero Americo
I had never heard of that rumor that ending with the NintendoLand fireworks was a last minute call because something was pulled at the last moment.

It makes sense, that would certainly explain a lot, but it's Nintendo, so we'll never know.

border

I've met Billy West, John DiMaggio, Tress McNeille, and a couple of the Adventure Time voice actors, and none of them were just doing ridiculous voices all the time.

I was mostly just curious if Martinet carries on like that just at conventions, or if it's somehow bled into his actual daily and professional life.

Actors do this on movies and TV shows, and they're doing it for far less time than someone like Martinet who has lived with a kingdom inside his head for the past couple decades. It's fucking sad.

I can't imagine that Martinet has recorded more than 100-200 different lines of dialogue for Mario in the past 20 years. Whatever condition it is he's suffering from (if any), it seems strange to be so afflicted from a job that has so little actual work associated with it.

I can't imagine that Martinet has recorded more than 100-200 different lines of dialogue for Mario in the past 20 years. Whatever condition it is he's suffering from (if any), it seems strange to be so afflicted from a job that has so little actual work associated with it.

Recorded, maybe, but for years he did the "Mario face" at trade shows, even before Mario had a voice defined in the games.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=70gC_IY1eqw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R1t6iNG28zI
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ihWsOcbS_E
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=98sYkdAmogY

Hours and hours of this, at several different trade shows and events.

Recorded, maybe, but for years he did the "Mario face" at trade shows, even before Mario had a voice defined in the games.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=70gC_IY1eqw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R1t6iNG28zI
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ihWsOcbS_E
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=98sYkdAmogY

Hours and hours of this, at several different trade shows and events.

Oh man, it's like this is how he still approaches the role at shows. But I do not want to discourage anyone with such specific enthusiasm and love for their part in videogames.

Top Bottom