• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Finals - Hands-On Previews & Beta Discussion

I played for a couple of hours last week and I had a blast.
Awesome game.

Now I finally understand why Battlefield is not fun anymore: and it’s not my fault!

Last edited:
https://www.polygon.com/23626883/the-finals-preview-beta-dates-embark-studios

I Just saw this I don't know if it's the beta stage but this looks phenomenal and pretty wild with complete destruction looks like battlefield meets some other shooter I could've say which made by the ex dice members I should keep an eye on this if it does well Sony needs some FPS games and depending how well this does could go toe to toe with cod one day

acidagfc

I was watching SkillUps preview with a growing interest right up to a mention of it being F2P.

Everything sounds great - real deal BF devs, familiar gunplay, levolutions, arena mods, interesting objectives... But it it all falls apart with F2P.

I do not believe it can work without hindering you with insane grind and 'daily challenges' stuff. I would prefer to be proven wrong, because I really want to love this game, but all past experience tells me it will be predatory in one way or another.

Elder Legend

Yoir Aee Member
https://www.polygon.com/23626883/the-finals-preview-beta-dates-embark-studios

I Just saw this I don't know if it's the beta stage but this looks phenomenal and pretty wild with complete destruction looks like battlefield meets some other shooter I could've say which made by the ex dice members I should keep an eye on this if it does well Sony needs some FPS games and depending how well this does could go toe to toe with cod one day
You can easily tell its the real DICE just by the visuals and explosions. No one did better explosions than Dice has in the industry hands down.

Last edited:
I was watching SkillUps preview with a growing interest right up to a mention of it being F2P.

Everything sounds great - real deal BF devs, familiar gunplay, levolutions, arena mods, interesting objectives... But it it all falls apart with F2P.

I do not believe it can work without hindering you with insane grind and 'daily challenges' stuff. I would prefer to be proven wrong, because I really want to love this game, but all past experience tells me it will be predatory in one way or another.
A new multiplayer ip from a new software house who must compete with fortnite, warzone and apex?

It all looks cool and all but the game objective itself just doesn't interest me.
Maybe it will all change when I get to play it. Just looks like it will get boring quick.

Clintizzle

Lord of Edge.
I'm excited for this but have my reservations. Probably stating the obvious but content is going to be key! the maps look good and there seems to be a TONNE of gadgets to try which will give the game some legs. They will need to market it really well and make sure it feels fresh.

Hobbygaming

has been asked to post in 'Grounded' mode.
This game looks cool and here's another cool looking shooter running on UE5 I think it's only announced for Steam so far

winjer

Looks like Fortnite, but with destruction, instead of building.
Gameplay doesn't look particularly fun, especially the bullet sponge combat.

kuncol02

It's kinda crazy how many new studios are getting formed this gen from talented devs branching off
It was always the case and main reason why I think that anyone worrying about MS buying Activision should look on history of gaming.
CoD was made by ex MoH developers who didn't liked working for EA.
Apex was made by very same ex CoD devs who didn't liked working for Activision
Embark is made by ex Dice devs.
Machine Games is basically old Starbreeze
Obsidian and InXile are ex Black Isle devs
Witcher remake is made by ex Witcher devs that left CDP.
11bit is also made by ex Witcher devs.
Astronauts and Flying Wild Hog are made by people from PCF
Platinum and Tango by ex Capcom devs.
And many many more examples.

There are also examples of studios that basically stopped being relevant after key people left with BioWare being best example of that.
Gamedev companies are only as good as people who work in them right now.

VN1X

These types of games kind of have to be F2P these days if they want a share of the pie. Especially new IP that have yet to prove themselves.

ChoosableOne

ChoosableAll
It's not smooth while shooting/spray(talking about jackfrags video), I don't know how to describe it lol. Watch the video(bf3) below if you interested. It's not the same problem but you can notice that it's not smooth overall. Maybe there is a problem with my Pc but Bf3 plays like this, especially while using ads:

(It's not my video)

VN1X

It's not smooth while shooting/spray(talking about jackfrags video), I don't know how to describe it lol. Watch the video(bf3) below if you interested. It's not the same problem but you can notice that it's not smooth overall. Maybe there is a problem with my Pc but Bf3 plays like this, especially while using ads:

(It's not my video)

Ooh you mean the animation style. I get if it's not to your own personal liking but I don't find any issue with the animations of BF3 or The Finals myself.

The last FPS I played which had really jarring weapon animations was Back 4 Blood but quickly warmed up to it actually. It looks incredibly arcadey at first, dare I say, "cheap" compared to more realistic shooters but the key-frame approach to first-person animations actually works really well in hindsight.

Last edited:

Roxkis_ii

This was exactly my reaction watching that skill up video. I felt so much disappointment hearing it was free to play.

Will likely try it out, but keeping my expectations low.

acidagfc

These types of games kind of have to be F2P these days if they want a share of the pie. Especially new IP that have yet to prove themselves.
On one hand, yes, it's a tough proposition to ask 40-60 bucks for a new IP multiplayer shooter, even if the developer has a certain pedigree.

But on the other, it just means that f2p elements will likely drown all the good ideas under the bloat that is inherent with f2p games.

I honestly don't know what is the solution to this conundrum. I just won't get invested into it unless they would show that it's actually worth it.

ChoosableOne

ChoosableAll
Ooh you mean the animation style. I get if it's not to your own personal liking but I don't find any issue with the animations of BF3 or The Finals myself.

The last FPS I played which had really jarring weapon animations was Back 4 Blood but quickly warmed up to it actually. It looks incredibly arcadey at first, dare I say, "cheap" compared to more realistic shooters but the key-frame approach to first-person animations actually works really well in hindsight.

Yeah, probably something to do with animations. Everything on the screen shakes a lot while he uses AK, maybe that's why it caught my attention, I don't know.

Really do hope that Nexon realize what they are sitting on and don't mess this one up.

hlm666

Someone on the steam forums was saying this game has server side movement, is this true? If it is anyone that has played it how did it feel?

VN1X

On one hand, yes, it's a tough proposition to ask 40-60 bucks for a new IP multiplayer shooter, even if the developer has a certain pedigree.

But on the other, it just means that f2p elements will likely drown all the good ideas under the bloat that is inherent with f2p games.

I honestly don't know what is the solution to this conundrum. I just won't get invested into it unless they would show that it's actually worth it.
Not really sure what you're on about in this particular case to be honest. The only downside to the F2P model in a game like this is that cheaters have an easier time making new accounts when they get banned. Otherwise the only way to spend money would be on cosmetics. At worst they'll lock characters behind a progression currency that you can circumvent with a premium currency (Apex Legends does this).

F2P isn't by definition a bad thing at all.

Reactions: Fbh

Luipadre

This game has a TON of potential. I think we may be looking at the breakout hit, that no one saw coming.
as much as the game looks fun right now i dont think this will last long. Thats just how multiplayer gaming this day and age

jaysius

Since it's F2P you can't really trust impressions to be genuine, as with the Escape from Tarkarov where streamers are given items by the developer to encourage them to stream more that tilts things in their favor, these 'tubers might be given incentives to give positive responses.

The super hero powers looked dumb, the destruction was fun, I don't know why we can't just have a TDM mode in that game with no super powers and just fun. I hate the concept of wasting 30 minutes gathering shit just to get shot once and then it's all over, I'd much rather just die constantly and kill others and have that the objective.

Last edited:

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.

Destiny 2 and Team Fortress 2 are F2P. 🤷‍♂️

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
as much as the game looks fun right now i dont think this will last long. Thats just how multiplayer gaming this day and age
true, Splitgate had a genius timeless concept and that game died out FAST. if a game as genius like that couldn't keep players hooked it's clear the landscape is VERY competitive

Since it's F2P you can't really trust impressions to be genuine, as with the Escape from Tarkarov where streamers are given items by the developer to encourage them to stream more that tilts things in their favor, these 'tubers might be given incentives to give positive responses.

The super hero powers looked dumb, the destruction was fun, I don't know why we can't just have a TDM mode in that game with no super powers and just fun. I hate the concept of wasting 30 minutes gathering shit just to get shot once and then it's all over, I'd much rather just die constantly and kill others and have that the objective.
As someone who plays solo most of the time I don't play objective based shooters outside of Hell Let Loose because most of the randoms I get teamed with seem to never care about objectives.

I too would just love a TDM here

Hugare

Of all the F2P games I play Rocket League and Fortnite. And they are not predatory at all. Only cosmetic stuff.

Have faith. Maybe they will be on the good side of F2P games. I also dont like stuff like Warzone that level locks guns, for example.

If the grind and daily challenges are there to unlock cosmetic stuff, who cares? Play the game to have fun

Klik

Did anyone get beta invite that is starting today at 7pm CET?

I applied months ago when beta testing was first announced,i have 10 year old steam account with fairly decent specs( I5 12400, RTX 3060ti) if that makes any importance in beta invites priority

Fbh

Looks great, watched the SkillUp video and he really has me sold on it. Love the destruction, gadget variety and the 3 man squad system. The TTK looks a tad too high but maybe low TTK + all the destruction was too chaotic.
Will definitely try it out when it launches

These days even if it was a paid game chances are there would be some sort of battle pass and daily/weekly challenges and all that stuff . Those elements not only make a ton of money but also provide the "carrot on a stick" for people to stay engaged. Sadly the idea of playing a multiplayer game just because it's fun is dying.

For me as long as all the stuff is cosmetic I can't say I care. Have been playing Rocket League for years and never once felt the need to do the weekly challenges or buy the premium battle pass. Also IMO cosmetics are nearly pointless in a first person game.

hlm666

Here is a video (should be linked to the exact spot in the video) that shows what you can expect to see from the monetization system, it's basically the same as all the others.

[Sigma]

Looks cool. Like I said before, im going to try it out based on the who the studio is. I'm more excited interested in/excited about Arc Raiders though. Having said this, these titles will face the same uphill battle other titles have faced with me because they're free to play. I don't play nor like any of them currently.

I tend to not like what im given as base before paying nor the monetization of them and non of them gameplay wise has been good enough for me to tolerate it. When someone announces a game and says it's free to play, that's a strike against it automatically in my world. So I'll see if Embark can buck that trend.

Last edited:

jaysius

Here is a video (should be linked to the exact spot in the video) that shows what you can expect to see from the monetization system, it's basically the same as all the others.

It's still insane to me that people pay MONEY for skins in games. I never really cared, even back in the day when skins were unlocked in game by doing things, I barely ever changed to them.

Really blows my mind.

XXL

Looks great, watched the SkillUp video and he really has me sold on it. Love the destruction, gadget variety and the 3 man squad system. The TTK looks a tad too high but maybe low TTK + all the destruction was too chaotic.
Will definitely try it out when it launches
Yeah, I agree the TTK is a bit high. It being too low could cause issues, but a bit lower would be better, imo.

Last edited:

lol, watching the gameplay this game looks like the devs threw in a bunch of mechanics from other games to make a new one.

the destruction of Bad Company, the goo gun from Prey, the zipline from Apex, the big battle maps from Battlefield, the random events like low gravity from Hyper Scape.

I'm curious how well this all works together in the final game

lol, watching the gameplay this game looks like the devs threw in a bunch of mechanics from other games to make a new one.

the destruction of Bad Company, the goo gun from Prey, the zipline from Apex, the big battle maps from Battlefield, the random events like low gravity from Hyper Scape.

I'm curious how well this all works together in the final game
U missed one. when u kill someone with that ding noise and the writing comes up that's from overwatch

StueyDuck

That's literally all paid for mp titles these days too 🤷‍♂️

May as well be free if they are going to have daily challenges and drops and in game events and so on.

That's just modern multi-player design and it's not gonna die anytime soon. The tikkytokky kids love them some second jobs instead of just playing a game because it's fun

Last edited:

VN1X

Yo when the FUCK do I get a code then?
1x.webp

VN1X

It's still insane to me that people pay MONEY for skins in games. I never really cared, even back in the day when skins were unlocked in game by doing things, I barely ever changed to them.

Really blows my mind.
If you have a disposable income and want to support the game because you enjoy it then skins are a cool way of doing that.

Top Bottom