• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Finals - Hands-On Previews & Beta Discussion

8BiTw0LF

Consoomer
Yo when the FUCK do I get a code then?
1x.webp

8BiTw0LF

Consoomer
If you have a disposable income and want to support the game because you enjoy it then skins are a cool way of doing that.
Exactly - I've supported Respawn with $600 through four years of excellent (the best) first person shooter - and I don't regret it.

8BiTw0LF

Consoomer
No controller support in the closed beta. Well I can play with a controller, but there's no settings for it, so it's direct input 1 to 1 mouse input. Feels bad.

rodrigolfp

Gamepads 4 Life
That's how you show some gameplay, not some potato controller footage. HYPE over 9000!

Last edited:

Ribi

Since it's F2P you can't really trust impressions to be genuine, as with the Escape from Tarkarov where streamers are given items by the developer to encourage them to stream more that tilts things in their favor, these 'tubers might be given incentives to give positive responses.

The super hero powers looked dumb, the destruction was fun, I don't know why we can't just have a TDM mode in that game with no super powers and just fun. I hate the concept of wasting 30 minutes gathering shit just to get shot once and then it's all over, I'd much rather just die constantly and kill others and have that the objective.
i mean the game had a closed alpha and it was very fun. Speaking from first hand experience.

GymWolf

Looks like Fortnite, but with destruction, instead of building.
Gameplay doesn't look particularly fun, especially the bullet sponge combat.
Wrong, the skillup dude says that the destruction turn the game into an hybrid pvp shooter/immersive sims.

Not sure what kinda of retarded mental gymnastic you have to do to think that but still...

winjer

Wrong, the skillup dude says that the destruction turn the game into an hybrid pvp shooter/immersive sims.

Not sure what kinda of retarded mental gymnastic you have to do to think that but still...

I saw nothing of immersive sim in this game. I don't get how he came up with that idea, but maybe he doesn't know what an immersive sim is.
PVP shooter, yes. But guess what, Fortnite is also a shooter and pvp.

GymWolf

I saw nothing of immersive sim in this game. I don't get how he came up with that idea, but maybe he doesn't know what an immersive sim is.
PVP shooter, yes. But guess what, Fortnite is also a shooter and pvp.
Dude must have a contract where he must say some absolute stupid shit once in every video he makes.

ultrazilla

Played a bit today. Here's some quick impressions(your mileage may vary):

-The destruction is incredibly fun. I miss this in the BF games.
-The TTK is too slow.
-The respawn times are very long. Like yawn inducing long.
-Not a fan of the player models.
-The xp you get at the end of the game is ridiculous. I bought the battlepass with the credits the game provided for free(you get 1500) and at the rate of how xp is earned, it'll
take months to unlock just a few tiers IMO.
-The sentry gun is too powerful.
-There's no temporary spawn protection. As soon as you spawn/respawn in, you're able to get riddled with bullets. Another team had set up their sentry near
where I was spawning and that fucking thing is so broken it took half my health just after spawning in. Talk about frustrating.
-All in all, it's a beta. It will go through multiple iterations and patches so hopefully many of these will be addressed.

tmlDan

Still not enjoying the combat at all and its still too slow capturing points in the game - i think if they increased the speed it would be way more fun.

I just don't see this being very popular with most of the game is you standing near a point you're trying to capture for 3 min (or what feels like it)

Spawns were also slow in the alpha when i played and its still too slow, slow games with minimal strategy are a big nono

Last edited:

8BiTw0LF

Consoomer
Are there any plans for a console beta?
I'm pretty sure there will be a console open beta before release. The game will release on PC and consoles at the same time. I'll expect it to release in august or september, but that's purely based on what I've seen and tried in the game.

Klik

To be honest i'm 30min into game and already got kinda bored.. I wish they made something similiar to Bad Company 2.I remember when that game came out i played it all night and went to work at 7am😅Played it from around 9pm till 6am, it was such a fun. This one, as of now, not so much..It will be really hard to take down Apex

Last edited:

Klik

I've been following this game for months and been playing for about 10 hours since beta released.

Game is so fcking disappointing. Performance wise its decent, with RTX 3060TI i get about 100fps on high with DLSS quality.

But game is so boring, destruction is decent but nowhere near what i expected to be,primary gamemode its really uninspiring and gets boring quickly, gunplay is nowhere near Apex..

Game should be delayed for year and rework lots of things. I really wanted to like this game but in this state im completely let down..

I watched some people stream it. looks really damn good. this has the potential to be the next big gaas shooter.

this has to come to console tho, and it needs crossplay and cross progression day 1. this was one of many reasons Hyper Scape failed, no cross compatibility until months after launch, that's just a no go these days

Spyxos

I watched some gameplay and it would take forever to get some kills. Even Halo with shields feels faster. I haven't played it yet though, so maybe I'm completely wrong.

Sleepwalker

Why does the name suck?
It doesn't convey what the game is, I had no idea this was in development so when I clicked on a "the finals" video I had no clue if it was a sports game, a party game or basically anything, it just sounds generic to me. Maybe it doesn't "suck" suck. But that's what I meant.

Game actually looks super cool and I'll be there day 1 regardless, already sharing it with my fps buddies lol

Last edited:

Filben

especially the bullet sponge combat.
Higher TTKs in shooters generally favour better aim tracking skill because you won't kill anyone with a stray bullet to the head or by spray n pray. You have to stay on target and keep hitting numerous times, so getting the first shot won't automatically win the fight for you.
It's just a different philosophy to the kind of skill this game wants to cultivate.

As for the destruction: you don't handle menus like in Fortnite to destruct things in The Finals so it is not like Fortnite.

It doesn't convey what the game is, I had no idea this was in development so when I clicked on a "the finals" video I had no clue if it was a sports game, a party game or basically anything, it just sounds generic to me. Maybe it doesn't "suck" suck. But that's what I meant.

Game actually looks super cool and I'll be there day 1 regardless, already sharing it with my fps buddies lol
Does Apex Legends or Counterstrike confer what the game is about tho?

you play in a tournament with multiple 4 team matches, and try to get to THE FINALS, in which you will go into a 1 on 1 with the other remaining team

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not

Destiny
Halo
Horizon Zero Dawn
Fire Emblem
Zelda ([insert random crap here]
Metal Gear

And I could keep going on and on.

You really gonna come in here and critique a games name....when game names generally are meaningless without context and borderline gibberish most of the time.
Its called The Finals because we are in teams competing and trying to get to The Finals.

Is this the Isekai disease spreading, people want games to be name "In this one you shoot people, and theres high levels of destruction" like how Isekai titles are literally just telling us the whole story these days.

Last edited:

Sleepwalker

Destiny
Halo
Horizon Zero Dawn
Fire Emblem
Zelda ([insert random crap here]
Metal Gear

And I could keep going on and on.

You really gonna come in here and critique a games name....when game names generally are meaningless without context and borderline gibberish most of the time.
Is this the Isekai disease spreading, people want games to be name "In this one you shoot people, and theres high levels of destruction" like how Isekai titles are literally just telling us the whole story these days.
I have no clue what an isekai is.

But sure, first thing that came to mind was "the finals.. of what?" I moved on past that thought pretty quickly as the game looks awesome so I'm not getting into a game name analysis discussion. It's really not that deep to me 🤷‍♂️

winjer

Higher TTKs in shooters generally favour better aim tracking skill because you won't kill anyone with a stray bullet to the head or by spray n pray. You have to stay on target and keep hitting numerous times, so getting the first shot won't automatically win the fight for you.
It's just a different philosophy to the kind of skill this game wants to cultivate.

As for the destruction: you don't handle menus like in Fortnite to destruct things in The Finals so it is not like Fortnite.

The vast majority of skill base multi player shooters have lower tkk. Counter Strike, Rainbow Six Siege, Insurgency, Arma, Battlefield, Hell let Loose, etc.
Only stuff like Fortnite and hero shooters have very long tkk.

Filben

The vast majority of skill base multi player shooters have lower tkk. Counter Strike, Rainbow Six Siege, Insurgency, Arma, Battlefield, Hell let Loose, etc.
Yes, this is true. They require a different kind of skill set.

Black_Stride

Twitch shooters yes.
And in those games the "skill" comes from proper map understanding and positioning.
A good middle ground is more fun for me.

I tried Valorant and it was ridiculous to me, I think im just getting old.

And I wouldnt put Battlefield in the same category as the other games you mentioned.
Battlefield you can get hit and react and still come out on top of the firefight.
Those other twitch shooters if you caught slippin thats that, you effectively have no chance to fight back.

But thats not to say shooters with higher ttks are "low skill" if anything id say its the opposite cuz in a firefight you have to out play your opponents not just out position them, they can react to your shots and ninja their way out of the situation, you have to be skilled enough with the mouse to still keep your shots on target.

winjer

Twitch shooters yes.
And in those games the "skill" comes from proper map understanding and positioning.
A good middle ground is more fun for me.

I tried Valorant and it was ridiculous to me, I think im just getting old.

And I wouldnt put Battlefield in the same category as the other games you mentioned.
Battlefield you can get hit and react and still come out on top of the firefight.
Those other twitch shooters if you caught slippin thats that, you effectively have no chance to fight back.

But thats not to say shooters with higher ttks are "low skill" if anything id say its the opposite cuz in a firefight you have to out play your opponents not just out position them, they can react to your shots and ninja their way out of the situation, you have to be skilled enough with the mouse to still keep your shots on target.

Depends on the Battlefield. BF3 and BF4 had low tkk. Not as low as Counter Strike or Arma, but still, much lower than The Finals and Fortnite.
For example, in BF3 a gun like the G3 could down enemies in a fraction of a second, if aiming to the head. A few times I was being called a cheater for wiping out entire squads with G3 headshots. Lots of fun.
Or guns like the AEK or M16 could down an enemy very fast, if the player had the skill to control the recoil.

Black_Stride

Depends on the Battlefield. BF3 and BF4 had low tkk. Not as low as Counter Strike or Arma, but still, much lower than The Finals and Fortnite.
For example, in BF3 a gun like the G3 could down enemies in a fraction of a second, if aiming to the head. A few times I was being called a cheater for wiping out entire squads with G3 headshots. Lots of fun.
Or guns like the AEK or M16 could down an enemy very fast, if the player had the skill to control the recoil.
Mate.
BF3 and BF4 were the reason I left Call of Duty behind.
They had a TTK that allowed me to actually get hit and turn to find who is shooting me.
Call of Duty once your screen went red, you are dead.

So if BF3 and BF4 counted as low TTK, what was Call of Duty?
Instant?

Hell I even main'd the ACR(ACWR) which had a high fire rate while remaining completely manageable, but it still took a good amount of non-headshots to kill other players.

Remember the UMP45 and its sledgehammer sized bullets?......still didnt kill people as quickly as basically everything in COD.
You literally had to use Shotguns in BF3 and 4 to match the TTK of COD......but if you gonna use a shotgun in BF3/4 it should be exploding rounds so the whole server hates you amarite?

winjer

Mate.
BF3 and BF4 were the reason I left Call of Duty behind.
They had a TTK that allowed me to actually get hit and turn to find who is shooting me.
Call of Duty once your screen went red, you are dead.

So if BF3 and BF4 counted as low TTK, what was Call of Duty?
Instant?

Hell I even main'd the ACR(ACWR) which had a high fire rate while remaining completely manageable, but it still took a good amount of non-headshots to kill other players.

Remember the UMP45 and its sledgehammer sized bullets?......still didnt kill people as quickly as basically everything in COD.
You literally had to use Shotguns in BF3 and 4 to match the TTK of COD......but if you gonna use a shotgun in BF3/4 it should be exploding rounds so the whole server hates you amarite?

I haven't played COD in a long, long time. So I can't compare to what BF3 and BF4. I'll take your word, that it's tkk is faster.
My point, is that the tkk in BF3 and BF4 is much faster than in The Finals. And other tactical or competitive shooters are as fast, or even faster than BF.
The tkk in The Finals is more comparable to Fortnite or Overwatch.

Black_Stride

I haven't played COD in a long, long time. So I can't compare to what BF3 and BF4. I'll take your word, that it's tkk is faster.
My point, is that the tkk in BF3 and BF4 is much faster than in The Finals. And other tactical or competitive shooters are as fast, or even faster than BF.
The tkk in The Finals is more comparable to Fortnite or Overwatch.
Ohh i agree that the TTK in The Finals is high.

But BF3/4 dont fall into the category of low TTK especially if you are gonna list games like CSGO and Siege as being in the low tier which they are.

BF3/4 is much much higher than CSGO and Siege, you can actually react to getting shot.

Its not Halo high, but maybe at or around Apex Legends, one mag isnt going to squad wipe but could maybe take two or three players if you are highly skilled..........which isnt considered a low TTK shooter by anyone.

If youve played Halo The Finals shouldnt be a problem.
Although I do think they should reduce the TTK a bit.
The heavy takes like 3 mags to take down......thats a sub boss character many other games.

Last edited:

winjer

Ohh i agree that the TTK in The Finals is high.

But BF3/4 dont fall into the category of low TTK especially if you are gonna list games like CSGO and Siege as being in the low tier which they are.

BF3/4 is much much higher than CSGO and Siege, you can actually react to getting shot.

Its not Halo high, but maybe at or around Apex Legends, one mag isnt going to squad wipe but could maybe take two or three players if you are highly skilled..........which isnt considered a low TTK shooter by anyone.

If youve played Halo The Finals shouldnt be a problem.
Although I do think they should reduce the TTK a bit.
The heavy takes like 3 mags to take down......thats a sub boss character many other games.

I agree that BF has a tkk higher than CS, Insurgency and R6S.
But it's still much lower than The Finals, Fortnite and Overwatch.

Black_Stride

I agree that BF has a tkk higher than CS, Insurgency and R6S.
But it's still much lower than The Finals, Fortnite and Overwatch.
Its probably somewhere around Apex and Fortnite if you discount headshot multipliers and blue shields.

Last edited:

winjer

Its probably somewhere around Apex and Fortnite if you discount headshot multipliers and blue shields.

I only played a bit of Apex. I don't remember it being as long as The Finals. But I could be wrong.
I never played Fortnite. So I'll trust your word.

Black_Stride

I only played a bit of Apex. I don't remember it being as long as The Finals. But I could be wrong.
I never played Fortnite. So I'll trust your word.
The Finals is high make no mistake, for a game without shields or armor its probably the highest ive felt....halo has shields by default so its around there.
Its blue shield levels of high in pretty much any other game.

But on a serious note......screw you winjer winjer all this Battlefield talk has made me want to play Battlefield now.
Fuck time to boot up Battlefield 1.

Lasha

I have no clue what an isekai is.

But sure, first thing that came to mind was "the finals.. of what?" I moved on past that thought pretty quickly as the game looks awesome so I'm not getting into a game name analysis discussion. It's really not that deep to me 🤷‍♂️

Non native English speaker? The finals is commonly used to mean the end of a competition. The NBA uses "The Finals" as its branding. I sussed out the concept before seeing any gameplay purely based on title and genre. I think it's pretty straightforward.

Sleepwalker

Non native English speaker? The finals is commonly used to mean the end of a competition. The NBA uses "The Finals" as its branding. I sussed out the concept before seeing any gameplay purely based on title and genre. I think it's pretty straightforward.
Yeah, english is my second language and I did not grow up in north america. I guess that explains some of it

Top Bottom