• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The GTAIV Comparison Head-to-Head Thread Episode V: An Epic Tale of ManBoobs and Woe

Status
Not open for further replies.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
Ranger X said:
Ok if Gaf truly needs this thread this is not a good sign. This means we really are getting down the drain in matter of quality posting and maturity.

This is the biggest multiplatform release in next-gen console history. So yeah, if any game needs it, it's this one.

Sol..

I am Wayne Brady.
[insert sandy vagina anti-fanboy bitching here]

Nobody is gonna carry the fighting here. At least not without someone to kick it off with one really nice piece of bait.

I'd do it, but i'm not that good yet.

I spose i can try tho:

I'd get it on the 360 but RROD LULZoRz.

Bodom78

GAF needs a thread like this so people can post about the thread and not the actual subject like this post here so ..... ummm... ahhh... 360 superior version confirmed.

test_account

XP-39C²
Raist said:
edit : wait, there were no dual layer PS2 games ? I'm pretty sure at least the FF games were. wtf ?

There were indeed dual layer PS2 games. God of War 2 and Gran Turismo 4 uses a dual layer DVD. There might be more titles, but these 2 are the ones that i can remember. Unfortunately i dont know about the FF games, sorry.

Mmmkay

test_account said:
There were indeed dual layer PS2 games. God of War 2 and Gran Turismo 4 uses a dual layer DVD. There might be more titles, but these 2 are the ones that i can remember. Unfortunately i dont know about the FF games, sorry.
Let's not forget The Guy Game!

Loudninja said:
Wow, did h even say the 360 version was not good?

I'm just putting it out there because this whole thing is being taken to the next level by many fanboys (not talking about him or even you just speaking in generalities).

I've said for the longest I've expected both the 360 and PS3 versions to be practically similar, but I always knew you would have reviews stating that one beats the other in some fashion and that console warriors would cling to the most minor of statements and attempt to use it to suggest that if reviewer A says the version A is better than version B in this or that way, then it must also mean version b is much worse off in the that department.

Bad enough to make a buying decision decisive in favor of the other. People should be getting these things for more meaningful reasons. Maybe most of your friends are on the PS3, maybe most of them are on the 360, perhaps they are confident with Xbox Live when it comes to multiplayer, perhaps a ps3 or 360 is the only console they own so the choice is pretty much clear, maybe they like getting achievements (I sure don't give a damn about achievements, but some people do) No need to pay for online play on the PS3, The 360 has exclusive DLC on the way or maybe they own both consoles, and one of previous reasons listed will help them make up their mind.

I think if anyone is buying this game on the pretense of a "superior version" they are just fooling themselves because I don't think there will be any decisive superior version at all.

After all the previews stating that framerate on the 360 build was now solid, are people hoping Rockstar decided to go backwards and give the game worse performance?

Loading times on the PS3 being better that's something that I can see making a difference for people and would think the PS3 had better loading times even without a preview especially since I already beat the PS3 version and had doubts the 360 version's loading would be quite as swift.

The ps3 build I played wasn't the final build, but don't think for a second pop in wont exist on the ps3 version just as I'm sure it exists on the 360 version.

Framerate? I don't think even with videos we'll see any winner in this department. The PS3 version will have some minor chugs and I'm sure the 360 version will have it's moments as well, but for the most part both games will run fantastically. I believe if anyone is searching for a definitive version, you wont be able to decide that on the performance of either version I can pretty much assure you all of that right now.

These threads are pointless because almost no one is actually sitting there wondering which system to buy it for, as most of the people here only own one. So its basically just a bunch of fanboys trying to convince everybody else that their system of choice is better through the window this game provides.

Snapshot King said:
These threads are pointless because almost no one is actually sitting there wondering which system to buy it for, as most of the people here only own one. So its basically just a bunch of fanboys trying to convince everybody else that their system of choice is better through the window this game provides.

speak for yourself.

danwarb

Yoboman said:
I listened to it, they said the 360 version was a bit brighter colour-wise. Then another person said "it looked a little sharper in resolution", but did not specify which platform he meant
Probably the 360 version since it's confirmed as 720p with 2xMSAA, and looks pretty sharp. PS3 could have some kind of blur filter or QAA, which would make it look a bit softer.

Eurogamer will no doubt have 720p comparison screenshots.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
test_account said:
Ye, true that, The Guy Game also used a dual layer DVD :)

Ah ok, i didnt know that this game also used a dual layer DVD, thanks for the info :)
MGS2-Substance and Xenosaga are a couple others that spring to mind.

I dont have Live Gold anymore, thats pretty much the reason im getting the PS3 version, but pop-in and loading times are worrysome so if I had Gold, it would be a tough decision cause pop-in especially is annoying. Too bad there is no way to do comparisons before the game comes out, thats shit.

Mister D

Damn I'm now even more conflicted on which version to get.

PS3
+ Free online
+ "Better" graphics and performance

Xbox 360
+ DLC
+ Custom Soundtracks
+ Prefer the controller for driving in games
- Pay for online - currently a Silver member since most of the few games I play online can be bought on PS3

Damn Sony needs to get their heads out of their asses real quick and let me know if they are going to have universal custom soundtrack support since that's the only thing pushing me towards the 360 version. I don't give a damn about achievements and I have 3 free months of Gold I can use to get some multiplayer GTA in.

The DLC is tempting, but with every GTA game, the core content has always been sufficient for me to play the game for a really long time. And the main reason I'm getting this game is to screw around in the world they created after I beat it so I know I'll probably be playing by myself for hundreds of hours and listening to the same music, no matter how great the soundtrack is will get old. With the 360 I can stream all my music and play whatever kind of music fits my mood. Until Sony announces custom soundtrack support I'm stuck with the in game music which will get tiring after a couple hundred hours of play.

test_account

XP-39C²
dark10x said:
MGS2-Substance and Xenosaga are a couple others that spring to mind.
Ah ok, i didnt know about those either, thanks for the info :) I searched on Google and i found out that there is a list on Wikipedia over the PS2 games that uses a dual layer DVD :)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_PlayStation_2_DVD-9_games

I dont know if its complete or how accurate all the titles are though, but it seems that there are a few games atleast.

dark10x

Damn Sony needs to get their heads out of their asses real quick and let me know if they are going to have universal custom soundtrack support
Will that really make a difference? I mean, the 360 just plays the songs in the background and completely ignores the game itself. You may as well just use another source completely.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
Mister D said:
Damn Sony needs to get their heads out of their asses real quick and let me know if they are going to have universal custom soundtrack support since that's the only thing pushing me towards the 360 version.

There will NEVER be universal soundtrack support on the PS3, because Microsoft owns the patent for it. Sony has gone on record as saying the devs have the tools to implement custom tracks themselves.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
Mister D said:
Xbox 360
+ DLC
+ Custom Soundtracks
+ Prefer the controller for driving in games
- Pay for online - currently a Silver member since most of the few games I play online can be bought on PS3
Is this definitely integrated? I don't use this feature much on my 360. I know you can play muxic from the dashboard everywhere, but are custom soundtracks actually included in the game for like the radio and stuff?

Mister D

dark10x said:
Will that really make a difference? I mean, the 360 just plays the songs in the background and completely ignores the game itself. You may as well just use another source completely.

Well I'm not using it for the story portion of the game. I'm talking about when I'm done playing it and I'm just screwing around in the game world, blowing shit up and getting chased by cops. The need for the music to stop won't be necessary since there won't be any cutscenes or anything like that.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
borghe said:
Is this definitely integrated? I don't use this feature much on my 360. I know you can play muxic from the dashboard everywhere, but are custom soundtracks actually included in the game for like the radio and stuff?

No, Rockstar said they didn't implement them in either version because it messed with the "tone" of the game.

Lion Heart said:
I dont have Live Gold anymore, thats pretty much the reason im getting the PS3 version, but pop-in and loading times are worrysome so if I had Gold, it would be a tough decision cause pop-in especially is annoying. Too bad there is no way to do comparisons before the game comes out, thats shit.
Yeah, I refuse to pay money to play anything online. I can play for free on my PS3, Wii, and PC. Why not my 360?

dark10x

chubigans said:
There will NEVER be universal soundtrack support on the PS3, because Microsoft owns the patent for it. Sony has gone on record as saying the devs have the tools to implement custom tracks themselves.
I know Burnout Paradise is getting that addition soon and it will actually be integrated into the game.

Well I'm not using it for the story portion of the game. I'm talking about when I'm done playing it and I'm just screwing around in the game world, blowing shit up and getting chased by cops. The need for the music to stop won't be necessary since there won't be any cutscenes or anything like that.
That's why I'm saying you could just use another source for music.

Kabuki Waq said:
wow bitter tears let me bathe in them.

I didnt say the 360 version looked crap. infact NO ONE called the 360 version a mess. It just looks worse than the ps3 version.

whys it have to be WORSE than? :lol why not not as good as? IMO this is gonna be nothing more than what we saw with burnout ps3 vs 360. the ps3 version looked "better" if you can even call the subtle differences that at all but i decided to stick with the 360 version after playing both because ps3s lobbies go notoriusly empty late hours while 360s games are always jam packed. i'm sure GTA will be a huge exception just because of how big the game is but theres no denying the 360 version will yield better multiplayer mayhem.

Tieno

dark10x said:
I know Burnout Paradise is getting that addition soon and it will actually be integrated into the game.

That's why I'm saying you could just use another source for music.
I've tried that once, but it really feels weird with the sound effects and the music coming from a different source and not your speaker system.

MobiusPigeon said:
whys it have to be WORSE than? :lol why not not as good as? IMO this is gonna be nothing more than what we saw with burnout ps3 vs 360. the ps3 version looked "better" if you can even call the subtle differences that at all but i decided to stick with the 360 version after playing both because ps3s lobbies go notoriusly empty late hours while 360s games are always jam packed. i'm sure GTA will be a huge exception just because of how big the game is but theres no denying the 360 version will yield better multiplayer mayhem.
Because, in some aspects the 360 is "worse" mostly in the popup department. If you read the reviews you would know this.

Mister D

chubigans said:

Well that sucks. 360 version it is then. I have the 3 months of Live I can use and if the online play kicks so much ass that I have to keep playing it, then I might have to drop the $50 and pay for online play. Might actually get me to play more online games since I'm paying for it. COD4 on the PS3 was actually the first game to get me into online multiplayer even though I had both consoles connected to the internet.

borghe said:

No, it's not like the previous Xbox where the support was on a game by game basis and integrated into the game. This is like the suggestion everyone always brings up about playing your stereo while you play a game. Except everything goes through my surround sound system so this actually allows me to do that while hearing both the music and in game sounds through my speakers.

dark10x

Tieno said:
I've tried that once, but it really feels weird with the sound effects and the music coming from a different source and not your speaker system.
Well, if I do it, I generally just switch the game audio to the TV speakers and use the sound system for the music. For simply screwing around in the city, that should work fine. You lose 5.1 with the sound effects, but that's not even the focus here.

darkressurection said:
Because, in some aspects the 360 is "worse" mostly in the popup department. If you read the reviews you would know this.

yeah it was really worse when everyone was circle jerking over the leaked vids. everyone was going on about how fantastic it looked and while no ones even really seen the ps3 version yet all of a sudden the 360 version sucks when not even 48 hours ago everyone was blasting loads over eachothers man tits. :lol and btw i read the review. sony hardcores are grasping and twisting that sentence so hard that its retarded.

Mister D

dark10x said:
Well, if I do it, I generally just switch the game audio to the TV speakers and use the sound system for the music. For simply screwing around in the city, that should work fine. You lose 5.1 with the sound effects, but that's not even the focus here.

Nah I needs my 5.1 surround sound. Especially when I'm causing mayhem and have a 5 star rating with shit blowing up all around me, police sirens behind me, helicopters above me, and some of my favorite tunes fueling my insanity. :lol

just tray

slightly better graphics doesn't cut it for me so I have to go with the 360 version. All the ps3 version needs is custom soundtracks and dlc. Not to mention the fact that I like live better.

Either way you can't go wrong with either version.It's all about preferences. Wish I had the patience to see if custom soundtracks and dlc make it to the ps3.

The sad thing is that the dlc will probably start another fanboy war when it is released.

clav

GAF will probably be jumping on another DLC argument that it doesn't matter when the X360 DLC comes out.

I only have a 360, so I'll be getting the 360 version. Plus I have 5000 points sitting in my account right now that are begging to be used.

MobiusPigeon said:

Not necessarily. I mean COD4 clearly has more 360 users, maybe half a mil more at any time for all i know, yet you would never know it cause both ps3 and 360 versions matchmake instantly, its not like you are going to be playing all 2 million members or w/e.

As for custom soundtracks, PGR2 still has done the absolute best job of this EVER. They had a pop up radio control that can change songs, and volume on the fly. This would work so well for GTA cause you only want music when in a car, just like the game, so they should have replicated that.

Lion Heart said:
Not necessarily. I mean COD4 clearly has more 360 users, maybe half a mil more at any time for all i know, yet you would never know it cause both ps3 and 360 versions matchmake instantly, its not like you are going to be playing all 2 million members or w/e.

As for custom soundtracks, PGR2 still has done the absolute best job of this EVER. They had a pop up radio control that can change songs, and volume on the fly. This would work so well for GTA cause you only want music when in a car, just like the game, so they should have replicated that.

live>>>>>>>>>>psn.

MobiusPigeon said:
yeah it was really worse when everyone was circle jerking over the leaked vids. everyone was going on about how fantastic it looked and while no ones even really seen the ps3 version yet all of a sudden the 360 version sucks when not even 48 hours ago everyone was blasting loads over eachothers man tits. :lol and btw i read the review. sony hardcores are grasping and twisting that sentence so hard that its retarded.
Hey, all I am saying is that reviews have said that PS3 has the slight graphical edge. And besides, when GTA 3/VC/SA were released for the Xbox back when it was PS2 only weren't Xbox fans going crazy about "HAS XBOX HAZ LESS POP IN, TAKE THAT PS2!"

CrapSandwich

former Navy SEAL
dark10x said:

It doesn't completely ignore the game. The game can make calls to stop the music, usually for cut-scenes. Still, having integrated soundtracks is perfect for games like GTA when you spend a lot of time messing around and the like. You've got the interface, hopefully your whole music collection is available over that network, and there's nothing that's going to be as convenient or well implemented, whether it's using a stereo, MCPC, AirTunes, or whatever. The 360 implementation is preferable assuming you have your music on the network or 360 HDD.

Doc Evils

darkressurection said:
Hey, all I am saying is that reviews have said that PS3 has the slight graphical edge. And besides, when GTA 3/VC/SA were released for the Xbox back when it was PS2 only weren't Xbox fans going crazy about "HAS XBOX HAZ LESS POP IN, TAKE THAT PS2!"

The xbox version also had 3d engines instead of a flat 2d texture.

ypo

MobiusPigeon said:
whys it have to be WORSE than? :lol why not not as good as?

:lol Alright, alright let's call it inferior instead and call it a day. Everyone go home now.

f@luS

More than a member.
MobiusPigeon said:
live>>>>>>>>>>psn.
ps3 only lack some features , but its not live or psn's. its core (in the system) feature like ingame messaging and other stuff like this

but the quality of the online game is exactly the same

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
besada said:
I'm shocked you thought this necessary. Shocked, I tell you.

This thread is perfect and the OP did alot of work. Keep all the comparison crap in this thread and out of the offical thread.

FrankT

darkressurection said:

We've also had reports that the 360 version looks sharper, brighter, and the colors better. So in that sense one could say the PS3 version actually is worse. It goes both ways.

HaloFans said:
GAF will probably be jumping on another DLC argument that it doesn't matter when the X360 DLC comes out.

I only have a 360, so I'll be getting the 360 version. Plus I have 5000 points sitting in my account right now that are begging to be used.

The DLC thread will be absolute Bitter Tear Frosting in epic proportion.

Treo360 said:
Are you fucking serious? I mean really?

Fanboy shit.
Why are so many people bawwwwwing over this thread? Some people like me have both consoles and want to know the differences so they can get the best version. What's so fucking fanboyish about that?

Jtyettis said:
We've also had reports that the 360 version looks sharper, brighter, and the colors better. So in that sense one could say the PS3 version actually is worse. It goes both ways.

The DLC thread will be absolute Bitter Tear Frosting in epic proportion.
ALL of those could be dependent on TV settings though, so it really isn't a valid argument.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom