• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The GTAIV Comparison Head-to-Head Thread Episode V: An Epic Tale of ManBoobs and Woe

Status
Not open for further replies.

inner-G

Banned
beermonkey@tehbias said:
You get double the scaling artifacts.
sweet!

All my games get scaled at some point. Maybe that's why I don't see much difference with stuff like CoD4 and the MGO Beta that aren't native 720p.

Tons of 720p/1080i sets are 1366 x 768 though.

beermonkey@tehbias said:
You get double the scaling artifacts.
Are you kidding me? Halo 3, at it's gimped out resolution, looks better on my 1366x768 TV than on my 1280x768 display. There's definitely less jaggies.

FirewalkR

Dot50Cal said:
Oh god, MikeB on page 63 :lol :lol :lol

The words in his post were poorly chosen and perhaps the whole post was ill-advised, in the context of this thread. In the original context at B3D they were using the zoomed pictures to illustrate the difference in rendering techniques, since people were talking about dithering on the 360. In this thread (and "this is gaf") it was immediately interpreted as a troll attempt, which I don't think were his intentions. :)

KTallguy

Banned
gato2snakedy.jpg

Wow, I can't believe you put the eyepatch on that :lol

I'm wondering if I should go to the midnight launch just for kicks. NEEEERDDDDDDSSSS

(I'll be standing in line with the rest of them :p)

RSTEIN

Comics, serious business!
Jtyettis said:
Balllinnnn

YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEAH

Ok, I'm officially old. I was planning on running out @ 12:00 to get this (hence my passing of time in this thread). But now I'm tired and going to bed :(

I fail. I deserve to die at teh tree of doom.

...I really suggest watching Blim's captured HD footage...not for comparions sake, but because it's just great footage that shows just how gorgeous this game is and we should all be happy :D :D :D

There's something quite beautiful and poetic about this steaming pile of bullshit hitting 100 pages at almost exactly the same time as the game hits stores.

Chiggs

AgentOtaku said:
...I really suggest watching Blim's captured HD footage...not for comparions sake, but because it's just great footage that shows just how gorgeous this game is and we should all be happy :D :D :D

I would rather watch it on my television 3 hours from now. Watching too much footage leads to nit-picking, spoiler-ing, and overall shitheadedness. No thanks!

Chiggs said:
I would rather watch it on my television 3 hours from now. Watching too much footage leads to nit-picking, spoiler-ing, and overall shitheadedness. No thanks!

well I gotta wait till tommorow =p

Tobor

Gary Whitta said:
There's something quite beautiful and poetic about this steaming pile of bullshit hitting 100 pages at almost exactly the same time as the game hits stores.

I know I'm weeping.

Salazar said:
TV and PS3 display. I don't know which boxes to tick or untick, and I figure someone else might.

You said you got a 40 inch Samsung, I got one too and I said this earlier in the thread and greatly applies to you.

HomerSimpson-Man said:
Turn it off, turn it off, TURN IT OFF!!!

DNIe, edge enhancement, digital NR, sharpness....turn it all off!!

It's all just bullet points on the specs sheet that borks your potentially beautiful image quality!

DNIe screws up shadow detail for the sake of more 'vibrant' contrast.

Edge enhancement is just a sin, since why do you even need edge enhancing HD sources anyway, it just creates unneeded image noise.

Digital NR can create just ghastly image delay.

And sharpness is defaulted too high, you got already fixed pixel HDtv, increased sharpness levels just creates more image noise by trying to sharpen picture information that's not really there.

Proper tv calibration is the way.

Regarding the PS3, it's usually best left automatically all checked as the PS3 will determine the best optimal resolution the game output even if it supports higher resolutions, which is mostly 720p. Unchecking resolutions boxes and leaving only a specific resolution output forces it to whatever you want though.

tfur

andrewfee said:
You didn't get Uncharted!?

Proper 720p is nice, but the game does have quite a nasty ‘dithered’ look to it – particularly shadows and objects in the distance. (The depth of field effect causes it I think.) I don't know if that's exclusive to the 360 one though.

Audio quality is pretty awful, but while Blu-Ray has additional capacity, it doesn't mean it's actually being used. Chances are that the assets are the same.

Yeah, B3D mentions a little bit about it (possible dither)... Is the "dither" on certain scenes, or constant. I have seen clips what look pretty good, and others that do seem somewhat grainy. Then other scenes seem like some other processing...

It will be interesting to see what gets discovered in the days/weeks to some...

Can you tell if the sound 5.1 or 7.1? What do you mean by awful?

Flavius

Gary Whitta said:
That's about the most scientific method seen yet to determined which version is superior and I'm buying it: 360 version ftw.

Don't look now, but I believe you just uncovered the key to Metacritic's continued relevancy.

HomerSimpson-Man said:
Congratulations, the 360 side just wanted it more. I applaud this kind of enthusiasm for gaming.
It's a watershed moment, like when Blu-ray finally defeated HD-DVD. Only this time Sony loses.

Salazar

HomerSimpson-Man said:
You said you got a 40 inch Samsung, I got one too and I said this earlier in the thread and greatly applies to you.

Regarding the PS3, it's usually best left automatically all checked as the PS3 will determine the best optimal resolution the game output even if it supports higher resolutions, which is mostly 720p. Unchecking resolutions boxes and leaving only a specific resolution output forces it to whatever you want though.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
Gary Whitta said:
It's a watershed moment, like when Blu-ray finally defeated HD-DVD. Only this time Sony loses.
Gotta give it out to Rockstar for making this possible...only they could make the PS3 lower Res:lol

Chiggs

From Gamespot:

[/quote]visuals, which don't always hold up to close scrutiny but are impressive during typical gameplay, are comparable and feature the same quirks (shadows that flicker, for example) on both consoles. [/quote]

Hmmmmmm!

bishoptl

Banstick Emeritus
Well done, fellas.

Oh yeah, the kicker? This was your one opportunity to get the vitriol, anger, fanboy bullshit, what have you - out of your system. Yup. That was it.

Another friendly piece of advice? Consider the official thread holy ground.

*puts on sunglasses*

Because I do.

YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom