• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last of Us: Remastered |OT| Game of the Years

arne

The extra epilogue scene they acted out in the The Last of Us: One Night Live is more evidence that
Ellie knows. Their interaction is clearly strained after they return to Tommy's. By that point Joel has most likely also figured out that Ellie knows as he's basically tip-toeing around her.

Some people might not take that as canon though. On that note I just finished the
University of Eastern Colorado section. The part when Ellie tells Joel that he's going to have to sing for her if she gets him out of this
and then seeing the extra epilogue live...Feelssssss

It's not supposed to be taken as canon. Neil was pretty clear about that. One of the reasons it wasn't taped or shown via streaming - so it couldn't be out of context of the whole One Night Live performance.

subrock

Not sure how far I am into the game, been playing for 8-9 hours, but holy shit I hate the combat in this game so much. The die, repeat until you get it right formula sucks so bad. Thought I would enjoy the game more, but so far I'm only enjoying the story.

I know the upgrades carry to NG+, but do the collectibles carry too? I only missed one shiv door and some firefly pendants.

Yes, it all carries over. I don't think you even need ng+.

Don't upgrade holsters. They don't count and you don't need them.

True, but its pretty helpful in battles.

Damn, I was going to do Grounded+ after my Survivor NG and was hoping to finish all the upgrades. Perhaps if I resort to the shiv making glitch I could still manage. Only missed the shiv door at the dam on my first run w/o the glitch.

Depends on how many times you want to play the game I guess. It's certainly possible to get all upgraded weapons in a grounded play through as your second play through. You might pull your hair out though.

I personally found it convenient to bypass a lot of fights. This meant that I missd a lot of parts and supplies to make shivs. Parts are not dynamic and always spawn in the same spots. You could very well look up a guide (theres one on gamefaqs that lists ALL part locations within the guide) and make sure you'll have enough parts by the last workstation. Also I think some supplies always spawn in certain locations too so you may be able to craft a shiv for every door if you look that up.

Of course playing the game on easy only takes like 4 hours and you'd get everything.

Not sure how far I am into the game, been playing for 8-9 hours, but holy shit I hate the combat in this game so much. The die, repeat until you get it right formula sucks so bad. Thought I would enjoy the game more, but so far I'm only enjoying the story.

What difficulty are you on?

I loved the combat playing on hard on PS3. But it seems normal would be a good combination of challenge/ease of play and little frustration.

RedAssedApe

Banned
It's not supposed to be taken as canon. Neil was pretty clear about that. One of the reasons it wasn't taped or shown via streaming - so it couldn't be out of context of the whole One Night Live performance.

welp...i'll shut up now. was this during the show? hype levels were too high during the event. saw neil's lips moving but must not have been able to process what he was actually saying. lol

Superflat

The beauty of the combat is that it can be approached multiple ways. There's no single "right" way to get out of a situation alive.

leng jai

There's no formula for the combat in this game...

Cc23830

I'm trying. I promise. But why am I not enjoying this game!!! Argghh.
It just seems to be sneak, stab, open a cupboard/drawer, run, press square/triangle.

I don't know how far I am In to it. But I feel like I've given it a fair chance. I've basically
saved Joel from dying and then watched Ellie splatter that guys head across the burning restaurant.
So have I got permission to stop playing now?

hawk2025

If you are playing like that, I'm not surprised you're not finding it enjoyable.

This is not required at all.

It just seems to be sneak, stab, open a cupboard/drawer, run, press square/triangle.

I don't know how far I am In to it. But I feel like I've given it a fair chance. I've basically saved Joel from dying and then watched Ellie splatter that guys head across the burning restaurant. So have I got permission to stop playing now?

What difficulty are you guys playing on?

Sintoid

Hey Gaf is there a way to locate which optional conversation I have missed during the story mode? They should be 37 and I actually think I got them all but the counter tells me that I unlocked only 35...

wowlace

I don't know how far I am In to it. But I feel like I've given it a fair chance.
I've basically saved Joel from dying and then watched Ellie splatter that guys head across the burning restaurant. So have I got permission to stop playing now?
You should probably spoiler that info for peeps who do wanna play it through.

JimPanzer

wanna make sure I didn't miss something important like a weapon:

in bill's town you can hear something knocking before you enter the room with joel being hung upside down - I didn't investigate the knocking further but went straight into the room with the rope-trap. did I miss something?

Footos22

I don't know how far I am In to it. But I feel like I've given it a fair chance.
I've basically saved Joel from dying and then watched Ellie splatter that guys head across the burning restaurant. So have I got permission to stop playing now?

you are almost finished, why stop now.

Do you base all your gaming experiences on button inputs?

leng jai

I base a game on how much I interact with it and enjoy it. I just feel like I'm repeating the first 30mins over and over but with different scenary

You could say this about every game when it boils down to it. Make your own fun, there are so many mechanics at your disposal.

Cc23830

You could say this about every game when it boils down to it. Make your own fun, there are so many mechanics at your disposal.

Fair point. But
the point where Ellie was kidnapped and Joel had to find her
was basically doing the exact same 20 minutes twice. Which really was annoying. It's a beautiful game. I can see why the hype. But it is just too linear for myself.

goonergaz

Fair point. But
the point where Ellie was kidnapped and Joel had to find her
was basically doing the exact same 20 minutes twice. Which really was annoying. It's a beautiful game. I can see why the hype. But it is just too linear for myself.

40 mins our of ~18 hrs isn't a bad trade-off!

Cc23830

40 mins our of ~18 hrs isn't a bad trade-off!

It's a fair chunk of the little free time I have though. I'm not a hater, it's just not to my tastes. At the moment I'm mostly playing GTA and Heavy Rain on my Ps3. Kind of playing a back catalogue while the ps4 games catalogue picks up

goonergaz

I found this game has some major spikes, on my initial play-through on PS3 - at the point before you get into the city (and just prior to the sewers where you sneak past the police) I was at rage levels playing on hard. It was becauseI did not know where I should go and it was pure luck when I finally got past.

This time I'm playing grounded (PS4) and there are a few hard spikes and this time the first rage point was the first bloater - man that was doing my head in! I've only just got past it, what I love about grounded is that I feel like achieving in the game but I'm really looking forward to playing it through on easy to pick up all the bits and bobs.

terrible

Banned
If you're not invested in the story and the overall setting I could see the game not winning you over. If you just focus on the gameplay alone you'll really miss out though.

goonergaz

It's a fair chunk of the little free time I have though. I'm not a hater, it's just not to my tastes. At the moment I'm mostly playing GTA and Heavy Rain on my Ps3. Kind of playing a back catalogue while the ps4 games catalogue picks up

I know what you mean, I basically spent one whole evening of my small free time getting past that bloater, but man - the story is such a driver for me, I remember on my PS3 play-through I was playing every night I just simply HAD to play the next bit...it's well worth it.

Cc23830

I will continue it. Just at a slower pace.
I've just gone underground where there seems to be 3 bloaters and a load of clickers. tried stealth. I died. Tried running at them with a flame thrower. I died.
rage quitting does put me off a game

wowlace

I've just gone underground where there seems to be 3 bloaters and a load of clickers. tried stealth. I died. Tried running at them with a flame thrower. I died.

Stealthily approaching that section is the best option. Just move reeeealll slow.

T.O.P

Banned

If it's the same area i'm thinking of (end game more or less), i moved the group around with a couple of bottles, 1 molotov and 1-2 nail bombs in the same point and the entire group was down

goonergaz

Another sticky point, but as said it seems you're so close to the end it'd be a shame to quite.

I think the problem I had was that it took me most of the game to fully understand the way the enemy reacted, and even then it's not predectable which does make it very challanging in places.

You know there's a corridor with a few baddies in - I generally cleared out that area first then used that area (above the bloaters) as a sheild taking out as many silently as possible...but the problem is if you're low on ammo then it'll be painful!

goonergaz

If it's the same area i'm thinking of (end game more or less), i moved the group around with a couple of bottles, 1 molotov and 1-2 nail bombs in the same point and the entire group was down

Yes, molotovs are great - and once you've thrown one throw another bottle in the same area to attrack even more enemy into the area.

Cc23830

Thanks guys. I struggle as my ammo is quite low. I've run to the far side.
found a door with a alley way that leads all the way past the majority BUT the end door is covered by clickers/ runners and bloaters
I'll try again tonight haha

foxbeldin

Thanks guys. I struggle as my ammo is quite low. I've run to the far side.
found a door with a alley way that leads all the way past the majority BUT the end door is covered by clickers/ runners and bloaters
I'll try again tonight haha

iirc, after that corridor, there's just
one runner you have to stealth kill and then you're safe. Clickers and bloaters don't see you so you can just go right past them. At the last moment, i threw a bottle far away to clear the checkpoint and climb.

Ted

This section is passable without killing much and without using any supplies/ammo.

First, always creep whilst aiming a weapon (or a brick/bottle) so you are creeping at super slow speed.

Creep along the right hand wall on the path ignoring the bloaters and clickers on the other side of all the decrepit vehicles. You'll come to a static runner blocking the path (stood behind an RV), stealth up to him and choke him out. Carry on along this right hand path up to where you path is blocked by debris (a lorry cab), wait for the clicker lurking here to be an appropriate distance away and then skirt this debris sticking as far to the right hand wall as you can.

You'll come up to a pathway skirting some water logged ground and there is a door way here. Creep in the door way and take out the first (of three) static infected here silently. You can creep up to and choke them all but if you have arrows you can also use these as long as you one shot head shot them all.

Turn left down a passageway (after the first now dead infected) and you come back out into the main section. You can go back into the room at the end of passageway past the clickers you didn't kill through a door a little further up on the right (up some little steps) but it's not necessary unless you need supplies and there isn't much in here. Onmce back in the main tunnel, ahead of you are some clickers and a bloater. Watch the path of clickers briefly until you roughly know their timing then strike out into the water and directly across the open space heading for the pathway opposite. Once you get to this pathway all the wandering clickers are to your right as is the bloater and the only thing directly in your way is a stationary clicker stood on the pathway ahead of you.

Follow the path until you are just before the clicker then drop of the path and creep diagonally back across to the other wall. Follow this wall to the truck and boost Ellie aboard. Done.

This video does roughly the same though he uses some bricks/bottles at the end to distract the clickers and bloaters that I don't think you need as it makes their paths less predictable.

Youtube vid

If you're not into it by
winter
, you're not into it. You're really close to beating it, but whatever. Its okay to not like the game but I think you're wrong about "I just feel like I'm repeating the first 30mins over and over but with different scenary".

Taking your quote literally... The first 30 minutes is very different from the rest of the game. There's no crafting, barely any enemies really.

I think what you really mean is the gameplay is repetitive. Sure theres a few ladder and pallet puzzles, but there is also
playing as sarah, sniping section, military humvee chase, hanging upside down, deer hunting, horseback riding, something you haven't seen yet (g park), etc.

And you're complaining about
winter
. Arguably the best part of the entire game. Saying that you go through it twice in 30 minutes.
When in reality the first time you go through its with a character that controls differently, you have no weapons, and you're weaker. The second time you have all your old weapons and now you're slow again, but stronger. Not to mention the snow storm makes it disorienting and difficult to tell if you've already been there or not. So while you're in the same location, virtually everything is different.

THIS IS SPARTA!

itbT3fCppOgvm.gif

I enjoyed this far too much.

Also, every time I picked up supplements on my Grounded+ run, I heard Sarah's voice saying "hardcore druwgs"

Just curious. Is there a reason you have your flashlight on?...lol

To get that extra thrust for that kick.

Cc23830

This section is passable without killing much and without using any supplies/ammo.

First, always creep whilst aiming a weapon (or a brick/bottle) so you are creeping at super slow speed.

Creep along the right hand wall on the path ignoring the bloaters and clickers on the other side of all the decrepit vehicles. You'll come to a static runner blocking the path (stood behind an RV), stealth up to him and choke him out. Carry on along this right hand path up to where you path is blocked by debris (a lorry cab), wait for the clicker lurking here to be an appropriate distance away and then skirt this debris sticking as far to the right hand wall as you can.

You'll come up to a pathway skirting some water logged ground and there is a door way here. Creep in the door way and take out the first (of three) static infected here silently. You can creep up to and choke them all but if you have arrows you can also use these as long as you one shot head shot them all.

Turn left down a passageway (after the first now dead infected) and you come back out into the main section. You can go back into the room at the end of passageway past the clickers you didn't kill through a door a little further up on the right (up some little steps) but it's not necessary unless you need supplies and there isn't much in here. Onmce back in the main tunnel, ahead of you are some clickers and a bloater. Watch the path of clickers briefly until you roughly know their timing then strike out into the water and directly across the open space heading for the pathway opposite. Once you get to this pathway all the wandering clickers are to your right as is the bloater and the only thing directly in your way is a stationary clicker stood on the pathway ahead of you.

Follow the path until you are just before the clicker then drop of the path and creep diagonally back across to the other wall. Follow this wall to the truck and boost Ellie aboard. Done.

This video does roughly the same though he uses some bricks/bottles at the end to distract the clickers and bloaters that I don't think you need as it makes their paths less predictable.

Youtube vid

Very much appreciated mate. Thank you

Neolith

So I'm going for the plat and I am doing a run for the conversations. I am doing a conversation and it is not registering when I go to the statistics page in the pause menu. Has anyone else encountered this?

Hubb

So I'm going for the plat and I am doing a run for the conversations. I am doing a conversation and it is not registering when I go to the statistics page in the pause menu. Has anyone else encountered this?

Are you sure it is one of the conversations that counts towards the trophy and are you sure you haven't gotten that one already?

Cc23830

I finished it.
Final thoughts
Excellent story. Really really good. The game is still a bit linear, only so many times a well placed wooden pallet would be in a convenient spot near water. I won't be replaying it but I'm glad I finished it

Hunting rifle and bow are the best weapons to upgrade IMO.

Towards the end of the game, upgrading the flame-thrower is also super useful.

It's going pretty good on my Grounded playthrough. Some sections are absolute chores (the very end of Bill's Town) but I know the game so well now that I never get stuck very long.

Superflat

I did it. I finally did it.

I have every single trophy for this game. Including the ones you don't need for platinum such as grounded trophies.

Hhhnnnnnnggg. I'm gettin there with 7 weeks of MP left. It'll be the first platinum that I'll have worked my ass off for (my only other platinum is The Walking Dead and it required no effort).

I would have a plat for Persona 4 Golden if not for that near-impossible Rise trphy.

Top Bottom