• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Mandalorian | Season 3 Official Trailer | Disney+

Book of Boba Fett killed any interest I had in this series. The Grogu arc ran its course with a satisfying conclusion in S2. Speedrunning to reunite the characters prior to S3 belittled the entire story. The child's antics are no longer fun and novel, they're tired and eye-roll inducing. The Order 66 reveal is unnecessary and serves only to satiate fanboys who cum every time a lightsaber is on screen.

I was excited for all the potential new directions after S2, but Grogu is what makes the $$$ so status quo is what we get. What a disappointment.

jason10mm

If grogru keeps on escalating in power, how do they fit him into the film time-line?

I'm guessing he'll get stuck into Carbonite at some point so he can jump past eps 7-9 and carry on from there.

AJUMP23

If grogru keeps on escalating in power, how do they fit him into the film time-line?

I'm guessing he'll get stuck into Carbonite at some point so he can jump past eps 7-9 and carry on from there.
Maybe he leaves for a closer galaxy. He heads to a far away galaxy instead of a far far away one.

Grogu/Yoda's race is extremely long-lived. He could be starring 3 trilogies from now.

Book of Boba Fett killed any interest I had in this series.
Yeah that was pretty mediocre but the Obi-Wan Kenobi show was even worse and was pretty much why I won't even resubscribe despite hearing Andor is good. However, they had the first two episodes of that on television and it looked boring as all hell. Although I admit I watched this just a few days after my father passed away so that could have cloudied my mood.

I might, just might, resubscribe for Mandalorian because I like the first two seasons and the character. It looks like Mandalorian is also visiting Coruscant in this new season. They really seem to neglect Coruscant in Star Wars nowadays which is funny because it's pretty much the New York City of the Star Wars universe. It's probably my favorite planet in the Star Wars Universe out of the prequels. I just love the idea of a citywide planet with huge skyscrapers.

I wish they would make Otherspace canon one day. I love that series of modules for the Star Wars RPG way back in the day when it was d6.

I'm not a big star wars fan or anything, but was thinking about starting to watch either this or the Boba Fett show.

Which one is better?

As for me:

- I dont have big interest or knowledge about the SW universe (i'm just happy to check out a sci-fi show), but ya I know who Boba Fett is and general knowledge fans would know

- I like my shows gritty. So the less stupid jokes and comedic relief characters the better

- A show I can watch and not be too concerned about remembering stuff from earlier episodes. So whichever series is easier to understand as a whole without worrying about if I missed or forgot about an important plot line or character 5 episodes ago. If one of the series is more episodic the better (each episode or two can be contained in it's own plot like watching a sitcom)

Last edited:

Jaybe

- I like my shows gritty. So the less stupid jokes and comedic relief characters the better

Andor is my much higher recommendation based on this. It’s a fantastic espionage show, that just happens to be in Star Wars universe. Nothing really corny. Some dark pieces. I think you’d like it the best of the new shows. If you had to pick between Mandalorian or Boba, Mandalorian is the easy choice.

I'm not a big star wars fan or anything, but was thinking about starting to watch either this or the Boba Fett show.

Which one is better?

As for me:

- I dont have big interest or knowledge about the SW universe (i'm just happy to check out a sci-fi show), but ya I know who Boba Fett is and general knowledge fans would know

- A show I can watch and not be too concerned about remembering stuff from earlier episodes. So whichever series is easier to understand as a whole without worrying about if I missed or forgot about an important plot line or character 5 episodes ago. If one of the series is more episodic the better (each episode or two can be contained in it's own plot like watching a sitcom)
I saw someone bring up a good point that the family and mainstream friendly stuff like Mandalorian can help them fund projects like Andor.

So watch Andor. Good shit. Also if you like animated stuff, the Bad Batch is an awesome follow-up to Clone Wars. Gives me SW: Republic Commando vibes.

DeafTourette

Older than air but younger than the foundations of the earth

Which one is better?

As for me:

Gritty... Watch Andor.

Episodic... These new shows aren't very episodic as they have actual character/story arcs. The seasons aren't very long so episodic wouldn't work for them.

I'd recommend Mandalorian over Boba BUT the last 3 episodes of Boba are required viewing going into Mandalorian season 3. Boba is the lesser show. Even though I enjoyed it, they nerfed Boba.

DGrayson

Mod Team and Bat Team
Staff Member
Grogu/Yoda's race is extremely long-lived. He could be starring 3 trilogies from now.

He'll still be a baby at the time of the ST.

How long is this dude going to be a baby? Grow up already Grogu.

Without knowing the physiology of the species we really dont know. For all we know once they hit 100 years they metamorphize from a baby to an adult in a day.

And these details I really dont want to know. Yoda being mysterious is what made him cool. Baby Yoda was fine for Season 1 but the more they reveal about him the worse its going to get. Didnt they learn their lesson from Solo?

ManaByte

Without knowing the physiology of the species we really dont know. For all we know once they hit 100 years they metamorphize from a baby to an adult in a day.

And these details I really dont want to know. Yoda being mysterious is what made him cool. Baby Yoda was fine for Season 1 but the more they reveal about him the worse its going to get. Didnt they learn their lesson from Solo?

Grogu is 50 at the time of Mando, which is only 29 years before the ST. He's probably not going to suddenly grow up into a full grown Yoda that quickly. Yaddle was about half of Yoda's age. She was 477 at the time of TPM and her death and obviously looked younger than Yoda. Just speculation but the race probably reaches maturity around 200 or 250 years old.

Ammogeddon

Thought there would be a thread on season 3 but evidently not.

Just finished watching episode 1. Off to a great start. They crammed so much into this episode it’s crazy.

The IG series droids are my favourite, so pleased Mando is bringing him back.

BlackTron

Book of Boba Fett killed any interest I had in this series. The Grogu arc ran its course with a satisfying conclusion in S2. Speedrunning to reunite the characters prior to S3 belittled the entire story. The child's antics are no longer fun and novel, they're tired and eye-roll inducing. The Order 66 reveal is unnecessary and serves only to satiate fanboys who cum every time a lightsaber is on screen.

I was excited for all the potential new directions after S2, but Grogu is what makes the $$$ so status quo is what we get. What a disappointment.

I agree. Season 1 and 2 was the best star wars since OT. Then Boba Fett showed up and DESTROYED the momentum they had.

Even if the Boba Fett show stank, Mando could still have been good if they didn't mess up the arc by forcing Mando and Grogu into it. It was done in such a way that if you don't watch Boba, you aren't prepared for Mando S3.

They had a great story and Disney could not even sit still for five minutes without milking it into submission.

Edit: Of course we haven't actually seen the show yet, but it's a bad taste walking in after the Fett show that left us with a rushed Grogu return and the N1 fighter with no place to put a bounty. And that's ignoring its biggest issue. doing a disservice to Fett himself.

Last edited:

ADiTAR

I dunno if I forgot most of what happened before, but this episode felt all over the place to me. Mando zipping across the galaxy for something he already knew, I think I remember they said it in the previous season of what he needs to do for redemption, or maybe I'm wrong.

Then he goes to revive a droid, and it's kinda like, why not find a new droid. It's a very silly arc.

Then he goes to that castle for no given reason, because I thought he was going to find the missing part for the droid.

So far it's very silly.

Grogu is redundant and the pirates, which I'm assuming they are making as the villain, look silly and non-threatening.

I'll wait for the second ep, but so far it should have prob ended at s2.

Nankatsu

How in the hell is grogu back?

They legit end season 2 with a banger just for him to be back right at the first episode of season 3?

With the explanation of: he came back to me? Lol, what?

EDIT: they crossed narratives with the book of Boba Fett. Now I get it why I didn't understand half the episode.

Last edited:

jason10mm

Not the best of Mando, but the croc fight at least looked good (though you'd expect a bunch o'Mandos to have heavier firepower) and the space fight was ok. WTF was that pirate captain, space Davey Jones? Guess we'll see more of him. Rubbing out Dune that way as well, at least they mentioned her.

TheUsual

Man, really should have read a recap of the finer details of the series. Forgot alot of stuff. Episode was meh to me.

Kev Kev

I wonder what those space whale creatures that Grogu saw in hyperspace have to do with everything...? It could be a big plot point or just a cool extra thing they added. My mind went to that giant asteroid space worm that they flew into in the original trilogy.

Good first episode. I feel the same way I did after the first episode of Boba Fett, which is to say it wasn't super eventful, but enjoyable none the less. I did end up really enjoying Boba Fett, and Andor was of course fantastic, so I have high hopes this will be another home run for the franchise.

Kenpachii

I wonder what those space whale creatures that Grogu saw in hyperspace have to do with everything...? It could be a big plot point or just a cool extra thing they added. My mind went to that giant asteroid space worm that they flew into in the original trilogy.

Good first episode. I feel the same way I did after the first episode of Boba Fett, which is to say it wasn't super eventful, but enjoyable none the less. I did end up really enjoying Boba Fett, and Andor was of course fantastic, so I have high hopes this will be another home run for the franchise.

Are grogu creatures not like the Pinnacle of the force users, could be they see more things then humans can see. I though it was something along the line of that.

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
Ep 1 felt a little stuffed, but not in a chaotic way. I guess they really needed to line up several threads right away.

BlackTron

Overall it's still fun to watch but definitely nowhere near as tight as early Mando. The space battle was cool because for a show called Star Wars we don't get too many. The way he used the N1 to run circles around everything reminded me of how the ship handled as an unlockable fighter in Rogue Squadron, some sort of hyper A-Wing.

Glad they at least addressed what happened to Cara Dune by tossing a line in there instead of just pretending she never existed.

But absolutely every detail having to do with the IG unit was so stupid I couldn't handle it.

Edit: I was thinking about it more and just had to vent about how little sense IG-11 makes.

1. The point of his self-destruct was to prevent his design from being captured. Yet after using it, a guy who didn't even like droids is able to cobble it together and turn it on. Worst self-destruct ever.
2. Upon losing its memory chip in the self-destruct, it reverted to its old programming that had supposedly been lost in S1 when its "neural harness" was shot so badly that the droid required extensive, time-consuming reconstruction by an ugnaught that's actually good at it, and then needed to relearn everything from scratch, even how to use its limbs. If it could have ever reverted back to its original programming, why did it need to do that?
3. Reasoning would indicate that IG-11's new personality had been lost if the memory chip was fried, because a new one from across the galaxy will not have a backup of his programming on it. Yet this is the only way Mando can get back the droid he "trusts".

It's just like the most shoddy fetch-quest ever.

Another edit: The only way it can possibly make sense is if IG-11's new personality is still stored somewhere in the droid, but it lacks the right type of memory to load it or something, thereby defaulting to some kind of original manufacturer ROM type programming that does not require the memory chip. But that is a tough sell too, because IG-11 retained the directive from the Guild to kill Grogu, meaning he still had memories and data from before he was shot by Mando that he was able to load just fine. What????

Last edited:

Stitch

They're Purrgil and were first seen in Rebels. They're probably important for the Ahsoka series, which is basically a live-action sequel to Rebels.

Last edited:

Kev Kev

They're Purrgil and were first seen in Rebels. They're probably important for the Ahsoka series, which is basically a live-action sequel to Rebels.
Very cool. I like how they are weaving different characters and story arcs into each series. That episode in Boba Fett with Luke, Mando, Ahsoka and Grogu all in one place was a high point in the franchise for me personally.

jason10mm

So the baby yoda was fully trying to hump that little mechanic creature, right?
I don't think the writers even know anymore. They kinda boxed themselves into a corner by limiting Grogu to a few coo sounds and infantile behavior yet such a long maturation period that we can't really expect any growth within the show.

Mossybrew

I don't think the writers even know anymore. They kinda boxed themselves into a corner by limiting Grogu to a few coo sounds and infantile behavior yet such a long maturation period that we can't really expect any growth within the show.
Yeah I was just thinking along these lines last night, almost certainly they didn't initially have plans for him to be in the show for so long, but he became so popular they decided to just run with it.

Top Bottom