• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The obligatory "Guy (Not OP) thinks he knows more than industry folk" thread...

Status
Not open for further replies.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Cmagus said:
Well I know there is no saving this thread... and why would ya :p

But maybe we can lighten it up just a bit and make it a bit more helpful (and student friendly) with a quick and oh so popular question and some answers.

What do you look for in a new hire? Be it a student or self trained?

I don't know if we have recruiters on this forums (or HR) but lets here from artist's and programmers as well, maybe someone may benefit from this?

Or not :p either way, have a good night (or morning) everyone.

Peace
From a producer standpoint, the main things for me are:

Job requirement - Can this person do the work required for the position? Sounds obvious, but someone can be awesome in all the other areas but mediocre in the area that absolutely matters. We rely more on the respective discipline leads and their interview evaluations, but producers will still throw in their opinions as well. Education background may not necessarily matter depending on the position in question and person's experience.

Previous experience - Always a plus, and this doesn't necessarily have to be game industry work as long as its relevant to the position. Having worked on a shipped game is a big plus here.

Personality/attitude - will this person mesh well with the company/team culture and dynamic? How are their communication skills?

Teamwork - Does this person seem like they're a good team player? Or does it seem like they're ego driven and out for personal glory?

Obviously, several candidates will be excellent at the above. So we also try to get a sense of:

Work ethic - Does this person seem like they won't pull their weight? Self-starter? Etc.

Stressful/crisis situations - how will this person perform in less than ideal scenarios, or an emergency, or crunch situations?

Long term outlook - Does this person seem like they're interested in sticking around for the long term?

Into gaming - Might seem obvious, but some people are more into gaming than others. How much this factors into evaluating a potential hire depends on the position.

Potential - Much more important for entry-level positions.

There are other considerations as well, specific per discipline, but these usually fall under the Job Requirement bullet above.

Althane

Out of curiosity (aren't all questions?), when you guys interview someone about a position, do you ever ask them about what games they've played in the past? And what they think of them? (possibly ideas to improve upon them, maybe seeing how much they know of the genre they'd be working in, things like that?)

And, to be honest, would it be really difficult for someone to break in without having shipped a game?

balohna said:
I don't know if you've read anything I've said in this thread, but I just graduated from your school. I've only been out for two weeks. 61 people attempted to graduate, 31 people did, and now 5 of them have jobs. The ones with jobs did not get their jobs from instructors. I had one instructor that was a producer at Backbone, which now no longer exists in Vancouver, but other than that the rest of my instructors are not in any position to hire. If the "Lead Modeller" or whatever you mentioned at EA is who I think he is (I choose not to say his name on here for privacy reasons), he does not do any hiring. He can put in a good word for you, but ultimately he's not the one making the decision.

Anyone with a lot of swing in a company probably isn't teaching on the side. The one guy from Backbone was the exception, and holy shit did he ever look tired 90% of the time. He also missed like 4 classes and didn't give us any assignments back until the second to last week.

EDIT: All five of those people are artists, none of them are designers. Three of them are character artists, which is a real kick in the pants considering we were told the whole time that it's hard to get work as a character artist.
I probably missed your posts.

I'm sure you, as well as I, had learned about networking since you went to the school. Mister EA can put in a good word and learning from him was great. Actually, it was quite mindblowing to see his efficiency. He told us he puts in a word to his company about prospects now and then.

The Backbone guy, he's definitely moved up if you haven't kept up with him. I won't get into it, but he's really happy. He said he got lucky, and definitely informed us about a designers job. Unlike what everyone thinks, I do expect the QA job if it comes to that, but I do expect more from myself in the future.

Have you found work with your education?

I've got a friend who made a pretty crappy game, Path of Vengeance, who won UT mod of the year IGF award, and is out there working. Maybe he got lucky? Vancouver is certainly one of the biggest place to find jobs for the game industry.

XiaNaphryz

balohna said:
I had one instructor that was a producer at Backbone, which now no longer exists in Vancouver, but other than that the rest of my instructors are not in any position to hire. If the "Lead Modeller" or whatever you mentioned at EA is who I think he is (I choose not to say his name on here for privacy reasons), he does not do any hiring. He can put in a good word for you, but ultimately he's not the one making the decision.
This has been brought up previously in the thread and ignored by him.

LAUGHTREY

Modesty becomes a woman
Althane said:
Out of curiosity (aren't all questions?), when you guys interview someone about a position, do you ever ask them about what games they've played in the past? And what they think of them? (possibly ideas to improve upon them, maybe seeing how much they know of the genre they'd be working in, things like that?)

And, to be honest, would it be really difficult for someone to break in without having shipped a game?

Wouldn't being a tester on a game fit that criteria?

Althane said:

That is almost always the very first question I've asked (and been asked). Especially if the person looks nervous. They relax a bit when they are just chatting about recent games (since that's something that they probably talk about often).

Also: "what did you think of the last game we shipped?" It's such a trap, and it's so fun seeing how they answer it.

Althane

LAUGHTREY said:
Wouldn't being a tester on a game fit that criteria?

I was under the impression that being a tester wasn't really all that much prestige, the lowest rung on the ladder, as it were. Though, I guess that would also count. Word from those in power?

Also: "what did you think of the last game we shipped?" It's such a trap, and it's so fun seeing how they answer it.

Now that's almost evil!

Though there's no way I'd go to a job interview WITHOUT expecting that question. I'd feel sorry for the person who didn't answer it (shows they didn't do their research into this job...)

flarkminator said:
I'm a designer at Ready at Dawn, and I'm pretty sure I wouldn't give a shit what their involvement was with a school my criteria wouldn't change.
So if you happen to have a "School of Ready at Dawn" that your company doesn't need to pay for to run, you have direct control over what education people need to work at your company, you wouldn't consider their education at that school when you interview them?

keanerie

Alski said:
First off I don't think anyone said that writing doesn't matter in games. And secondly you may not need experience in other elements of game design but very few studios actually hire narrative designers, an exception would be Bioware, but even they look for an immense amount of writing experience before they would even consider you.

Most studios that I have worked for, the designers come up with the plot lines, and will hire external Hollywood types to contribute and create the dialog.

Yeah I meant to imply or say something about the second point. Guess it got lost in my train of thought.

And I think someone on the first page mentioned something like "look at what sells nowadays carnival games lol who needs writers," which is what I was responding to initially.

Wait a minute, woah what happened to this thread? I've had Iaido Sword on Ignore since yesterday and hadn't noticed the kerfuffle he generated here. Yowzers. :lol at the thread title change.

Althane

Onix said:
Bare with me ... I'm just catching up on this thread.

WAT!?!?!?

Oh, yeah.

Just keep reading. Like I said, I'm going to go through this thread tomorrow, but I'm almost afraid of having to spend all day catching up on it!

element

do you ever ask them about what games they've played in the past? And what they think of them?
all the time. it is a fairly standard questions when I do interviews. I want to find out what people play for fun, what they play to understand and breakdown.

Unlike what everyone thinks, I do expect the QA job if it comes to that, but I do expect more from myself in the future.
So would you consider your education and the money you spent to be well spent if the first job out of school is a $10/hr testing job?

No. I have worked with people where their project never shipped, and some who worked on MODs and some who were history majors and were just smart. It just depends on your skillset and what you can contribute to the team.

Sqorgar

Banned
XiaNaphryz said:
From a producer standpoint, the main things for me are:

Job requirement - Can this person do the work required for the position? Sounds obvious, but someone can be awesome in all the other areas but mediocre in the area that absolutely matters. We rely more on the respective discipline leads and their interview evaluations, but producers will still throw in their opinions as well. Education background may not necessarily matter depending on the position in question and person's experience.

Previous experience - Always a plus, and this doesn't necessarily have to be game industry work as long as its relevant to the position. Having worked on a shipped game is a big plus here.

Personality/attitude - will this person mesh well with the company/team culture and dynamic? How are their communication skills?

Teamwork - Does this person seem like they're a good team player? Or does it seem like they're ego driven and out for personal glory?

Obviously, several candidates will be excellent at the above. So we also try to get a sense of:

Work ethic - Does this person seem like they won't pull their weight? Self-starter? Etc.

Stressful/crisis situations - how will this person perform in less than ideal scenarios, or an emergency, or crunch situations?

Long term outlook - Does this person seem like they're interested in sticking around for the long term?

Into gaming - Might seem obvious, but some people are more into gaming than others. How much this factors into evaluating a potential hire depends on the position.

Potential - Much more important for entry-level positions.

There are other considerations as well, specific per discipline, but these usually fall under the Job Requirement bullet above.
What absolutely terrible criteria. It sounds like you are shopping for a car, not a person.

M3wThr33

Banned
element said:
That is the biggest thing I feel sorry for many of these students who go to these schools is they have a degree or a certificate that they really can't use outside of games. Especially considering how much some of these schools cost.

Little known secret is the forum is setup to find talent.

That was my biggest fear at DigiPen, was wondering if I'd still want to be in the game industry, if the degree mattered, if anyone would care.

In the end, I got it, the school got accredited on a basic level at least, and I had learned enough to land a job. But I look at some of these schools and just fear for dumb, easily brainwashed kids that think their school is the best for game development, as if that's not a broad enough category on its own.

Hilariously though, I have to commend Iaido's school for churning out such top notch people. I mean, look at all the press their IGF submissions have recieved. Oh that's right. Nothing from the Art Institute has won ANYTHING in the IGF, much less a mention outside of the entrants page. Meanwhile my school continues to get awards, including one for a game I worked on.

Sorry balohna, but I have to bring Iaido down off of his high horse. I know individually there's great people at every school, but he's talking as if you're going to come out of AI and make a six figure salary scribbling game ideas onto napkins. Additionally, I find it hilarious he's willing to settle for QA, given all that he 'knows' about the industry. Granted, one of my friends at work is a designer who was in QA for years, but settling for QA is something you shouldn't do at a game school.

balohna

Some people get much more expensive and tougher degrees from better schools and can't get any job, so starting as a tester and being like "Oh hey, but I also can design games" to people that work in the same building as you isn't really a bad thing.

minus_273

Banned
Iaido Sword said:
So if you happen to have a "School of Ready at Dawn" that your company doesn't need to pay for to run, you have direct control over what education people need to work at your company, you wouldn't consider their education at that school when you interview them?

so you mean to say you go to a school that feeds directly into a company? why are you posting here man, you are guaranteed a job

Mercutio

Sqorgar said:
What absolutely terrible criteria. It sounds like you are shopping for a car, not a person.

Pretty common. I've been through interviews like that, and depending on the way the interviewer does it, it can be really dehumanizing.

Iaido Sword said:

At most I would consider it a free pass at a test, but beyond that no.

If their education served them well enough then they should pass the test with flying colors, right? Just because I tell someone pearls of wisdom doesn't mean they are actually listening to me (irony?). So why should any kind of school be considered a sign of superior quality?

LAUGHTREY

Modesty becomes a woman
Althane said:
I was under the impression that being a tester wasn't really all that much prestige, the lowest rung on the ladder, as it were. Though, I guess that would also count. Word from those in power?

Where would games be without testers? I've heard a lot of stories about testers going from in-the-door guys to way up the proverbial "ladder" (Harold Ryan of Bungie for instance). Though I'm sure, cheese and all, that the testers job is just as important as anyone else in the process.

As far as I've heard, a serious testing job is not just "lulz playing a game and getting monies", you have to play the game over and over again, and try to break the game and find bugs and mishaps. You're not the consumer playing for fun, you're pretending to be a consumer, and doing absolutely everything possible in a game to make sure that it won't break. Go pick out your favorite game, then play one single part of it a thousand times and see if you still like it.

element said:
Little known secret is the forum is setup to find talent.
yeah 2-4 years ago when i stumbled onto that place it was pretty fucking intimidating, but the community is awesome. I need to start posting work there again and get a new sketchbook going.

Teriyaki

Althane said:

Yup. I ask what games they play and make them tear them apart (improvements, why do they think something designed this way, changes they would make if they were faced with restrictions and so on).

It's fine if the genre's not your first love, but honestly, you want to go in having played our games or else you're wasting my time.

Althane said:

This depends what you mean by breaking in and what team you're looking to join. If you've never shipped a title, I would look for self-created games/scenarios that demonstrate ability for entry level design positions. Basically, show me something.

element said:
So would you consider your education and the money you spent to be well spent if the first job out of school is a $10/hr testing job?
There was this guy I knew in the school who went into the 3D Modeling program. He was great with Maya and Photoshop, but failed at all his classes involving 2D art. He got pretty pissed at the school, has an EA QA job now and mocks the rest of us that he's going to get a modeler job without the school.

Quite frankly, it was because he lacked discipline and was weeded out for it.

Saying that, QA is a job in the field. Anyone can do it, but an educated game designer will stand out at his job at QA because he or she knows what the problems are. The education will excel the person's position in the company. I'm not saying that's what will happen, but it is logical. A person with no idea how to balance a game will not get up there without being in QA for quite a long time.

I'm content with a $10/hr job. Why? Because I'm not in it for the money. I just love games.

minus_273

Banned
Iaido Sword said:
LOL!

I have an EA Lead modeler teaching me Maya.

I have the Hothead Studio Lead Designer teaching me about game design.

I’m connected with the game industry as I know all these industry leaders.

I’m in the game just by being a student there.

holy shit are you fro real?

Iaido Sword said:

I think it might somehow help you to get an interview, but it won't help you that much when doing that interview.

element

I want to make it clear that I am not saying school isn't important. I think there is a place for school and education. My stance is a generalized education will help you in life far more then these specialized schools. Go to USC, UW, Carnegie Mellon, or others.

I LOVE that question. Here at Monolith, we have created games that have won awards and what not, and it is always fun to see someone answer all happy 'Oh I loved NOLF2, you guys really nailed that', and then ask 'How would you improve it'. That is actually a really make or break point for some people as it is a perfect question to measure how they communicate criticism. If you fail that, then your resume gets trashed.

Production jobs are like that.

Depends on what side of QA you are working on. There is developer side QA and publisher side QA. Typically publisher side QA is a little lower level, but still very important.

M3wThr33

Banned
Iaido Sword said:
I'm content with a $10/hr job. Why? Because I'm not in it for the money. I just love games.

That's QA-level talk right there, son. Better start learning how to fill out bug reports.

Althane

LAUGHTREY said:
Where would games be without testers? I've heard a lot of stories about testers going from in-the-door guys to way up the proverbial "ladder" (Harold Ryan of Bungie for instance). Though I'm sure, cheese and all, that the testers job is just as important as anyone else in the process.

As far as I've heard, a serious testing job is not just "lulz playing a game and getting monies", you have to play the game over and over again, and try to break the game and find bugs and mishaps. You're not the consumer playing for fun, you're pretending to be a consumer, and doing absolutely everything possible in a game to make sure that it won't break. Go pick out your favorite game, then play one single part of it a thousand times and see if you still like it.

True. Although, what I've heard of actual testing jobs is very much "Play this section of the game to find every bug in there." solved by playing... and playing.. and playing.

Though it's not PLAYING, since you're doing this on an unfinished product. So, it's more like GRINDING through the game.

Which is why it's on the bottom rung. It's NOT fun.

And from what you guys are saying, it sounds like after I get my degree (in CS...), I'd stand a good chance of getting a job SOMEWHERE with a game company. That's good, I suppose. =)

I think I should spend a summer or two testing my own skills and seeing how they go.

Edit: Element worked on NOLF2? Dude, I loved that game! Wish more games would show up in the 60's spy genre. =P

M3wThr33 said:
That was my biggest fear at DigiPen, was wondering if I'd still want to be in the game industry, if the degree mattered, if anyone would care.

In the end, I got it, the school got accredited on a basic level at least, and I had learned enough to land a job. But I look at some of these schools and just fear for dumb, easily brainwashed kids that think their school is the best for game development, as if that's not a broad enough category on its own.

Hilariously though, I have to commend Iaido's school for churning out such top notch people. I mean, look at all the press their IGF submissions have recieved. Oh that's right. Nothing from the Art Institute has won ANYTHING in the IGF, much less a mention outside of the entrants page. Meanwhile my school continues to get awards, including one for a game I worked on.

Sorry balohna, but I have to bring Iaido down off of his high horse. I know individually there's great people at every school, but he's talking as if you're going to come out of AI and make a six figure salary scribbling game ideas onto napkins. Additionally, I find it hilarious he's willing to settle for QA, given all that he 'knows' about the industry. Granted, one of my friends at work is a designer who was in QA for years, but settling for QA is something you shouldn't do at a game school.
http://www.igf.com/2006finalistswinners.html

Search Path of Vengeance. It's a crappy game, but it won.

It's the only one I can think of since it is of my friends, but I've seen more posted around the school.

balohna

M3wThr33 said:

AI student game that won at IGF:

http://www.igf.com/php-bin/entries2006.php?entry_id=225

Expected reply: "OH LOL ONE GAME"

The game I worked on was barely working by the time we were done. We had 3 programmers that didn't have comp sci degrees or anything. We had 6 months to work on the project, and during that time we also had 7 other classes and individual portfolios to worry about. The art is great though, and in my opinion the design is solid as well. Our programmers also did a great job, all things considered.

XiaNaphryz

Sqorgar said:
Again, this is from a producer's perspective, so it's going to look like a checklist, but that's not how we actually try and get the information in the interview. Well, mediocre producers might just go through a standard checklist each time, but they're probably not good personnel managers anyway.

You want to talk to the applicant and engage in real conversation, get a sense of who they are, their long term goals, their creativity, what they think they can bring to the table, etc etc. It's up to us to evaluate what we hear and how it matches with what we're looking for. When you get a bunch of applicants for a position with similar backgrounds and work experience, you have to consider a wide range of factors to try and make the best decision. But by no means do you approach the process like a factory line and make an obvious show of it. Ultimately, staffing the team and keeping the project on track falls to the production staff, so there has to be some structure and process to hires to make it easier and beneficial to the team.

Althane

Iaido, can we see some of YOUR work?

I mean, really. You throw these things around, but... what've you got to show? I mean, we have bigwigs from the industry right HERE talking to us. And you're just a student.

Teriyaki

Sqorgar said:
Think of it from the business side. The company will be making a heavy investment if they hire you and wants to do everything it can to ensure they will a good return.

It's more like buying stock. :D

minus_273 said:
so you mean to say you go to a school that feeds directly into a company? why are you posting here man, you are guaranteed a job
Not to that extent of course, but the school works under direct relations to the local developers.

Of course those developers would consider educational background if it was from a school they have relations with.

Mercutio

Iaido Sword said:
Saying that, QA is a job in the field. Anyone can do it, but an educated game designer will stand out at his job at QA because he or she knows what the problems are. The education will excel the person's position in the company. I'm not saying that's what will happen, but it is logical. A person with no idea how to balance a game will not get up there without being in QA for quite a long time.

Oh man. Nothing, and I mean nothing, is more screwed than a QA guy who thinks he knows more about design than the actual designers... regardless of whether he does or not.

Iaido Sword said:
There was this guy I knew in the school who went into the 3D Modeling program. He was great with Maya and Photoshop, but failed at all his classes involving 2D art. He got pretty pissed at the school, has an EA QA job now and mocks the rest of us that he's going to get a modeler job without the school.

Quite frankly, it was because he lacked discipline and was weeded out for it.

could it be that he thought he didn't need nor had any traditional drawing skills? and maybe the lack thereof was a contributing factor to his failure?

as far as i know and im concerned traditional drawing/painting skills are beneficial to an artist no matter what area they plan on going into.

ok now im really going to sleep

M3wThr33 said:
I stand corrected. That site is kind of a bitch to navigate.
No problem. I'm not mad at you.

It seems more like some college battle to me. :lol

But tell me something, was Digipen worth your time? Would you recommend someone to goto Digipen if they wanted to get into the industry?

balohna

Most people that know a bit about games can GET a job in QA, but that doesn't mean anyone can do it, especially not well.

Althane

Mercutio said:
Oh man. Nothing, and I mean nothing, is more screwed than a QA guy who thinks he knows more about design than the actual designers... regardless of whether he does or not.

Heh, I'd be surprised if they didn't kill me for going "Hey, why'd you do this this way instead of doing it that way?"

(I'm big on asking questions, I already know how I think, I want to know how everybody else thinks. Which would probably wear out in a business environment pretty quickly)

XiaNaphryz

Althane said:
True. Although, what I've heard of actual testing jobs is very much "Play this section of the game to find every bug in there." solved by playing... and playing.. and playing.

Though it's not PLAYING, since you're doing this on an unfinished product. So, it's more like GRINDING through the game.

Which is why it's on the bottom rung. It's NOT fun.
Grinding through testplans isn't supposed to be fun, it's work. The same can be said of several tasks for any entry-level position. Entry level engineers aren't necessarily going to be coding cool stuff at first, they'll be doing a lot of grunt work. Entry level production staff have to do a lot of administrative and logistic work.

QA can be a fun experience. Yes, there can be tedium and long hours, but again it's true in all areas. And you can learn a lot of the game dev process as you move up in QA.

Raistlin

Althane said:
Oh, yeah.

Just keep reading. Like I said, I'm going to go through this thread tomorrow, but I'm almost afraid of having to spend all day catching up on it!

:D

Yeah, I need to hit the hay ... but holy crap, this thread looks like its going to be epic!!

For people that are in the industry or related ones, this shit is just incredible :lol

element said:
I LOVE that question. Here at Monolith, we have created games that have won awards and what not, and it is always fun to see someone answer all happy 'Oh I loved NOLF2, you guys really nailed that', and then ask 'How would you improve it'. That is actually a really make or break point for some people as it is a perfect question to measure how they communicate criticism. If you fail that, then your resume gets trashed.

Yup. A lot of newbs tend to translate the question into "Please kiss my ass and tell me all our games are perfect". Also, true story, here's an answer I got once: "I'm not sure that I've played any of your games, what have you released?"

I think that question weeds out more people than any of the meatier ones. It got promoted to "phone interview" question during one big hiring session, to help reduce the number of people brought in for more time consuming in person interviews (sadly, I wasn't doing the phone part of hiring, so I didn't get to experience the joy personally during that round).

M3wThr33

Banned
Iaido Sword said:
No problem. I'm not mad at you.

It seems more like some college battle to me. :lol

But tell me something, was Digipen worth your time? Would you recommend someone to goto Digipen if they wanted to get into the industry?

I feel it was worth my time, but you HAVE to go in it knowing that you want to program or animate. Going in there to be a game designer (As many many many people do) is just going to be throwing away your money and wasting years of your life.

element

Saying that, QA is a job in the field. Anyone can do it, but an educated game designer will stand out at his job at QA because he or she knows what the problems are.
So not true. Hits head against wall...

how are you going to pay for your school? That is your typical bright eyed game lover. Making games is a business, it is hard work, it eats your soul, kills your friendships. Come back after a year in the industry, your opinions will change...

Andronicus said:
could it be that he thought he didn't need any traditional drawing skills? and maybe the lack thereof was a contributing factor to his failure?

as far as i know and im concerned traditional drawing/painting skills are beneficial to an artist no matter what area they plan on going into.
It's necessary to learn the 2D to master 3D. Perspective, shading, colour balance, scale, and all that need to be considered as you make a 3D model.

You can't just make a model and hope it works out in the end.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom