• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The obligatory "Guy (Not OP) thinks he knows more than industry folk" thread...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mercutio

Althane said:
Heh, I'd be surprised if they didn't kill me for going "Hey, why'd you do this this way instead of doing it that way?"

(I'm big on asking questions, I already know how I think, I want to know how everybody else thinks. Which would probably wear out in a business environment pretty quickly)

I've never known anyone personally who did this sort of thing. I've known people who have done QA, and talked about people like that. They hate that kind of guy. Not the kind that asks questions with intent to learn.

Somnia

Iaido Sword said:
I'm content with a $10/hr job. Why? Because I'm not in it for the money. I just love games.

I told myself this once before and it fucked up my progress. Trust me you need to be happy where you work, but money makes a big part of that happiness.

Althane

XiaNaphryz said:
Grinding through testplans isn't supposed to be fun, it's work. The same can be said of several tasks for any entry-level position. Entry level engineers aren't necessarily going to be coding cool stuff at first, they'll be doing a lot of grunt work. Entry level production staff have to do a lot of administrative and logistic work.

QA can be a fun experience. Yes, there can be tedium and long hours, but again it's true in all areas. And you can learn a lot of the game dev process as you move up in QA.

Sorry if I ever gave the impression that QA would be a fun job. Here's my opinion on it (as a 19-year old college student who's not worked a day in the industry so far):

QA is all about testing things again and again, poking them and prodding them so they break. Then you figure out what you did to make it break, and report it back.

Repeat x10000.

Now, I'm pretty sure you can have great fun with your colleagues and all, but chances are the JOB itself won't be fun. The COMPANY may be excellent however.

However, I also figure that it will be a good position to start if I go into the industry exactly for the reason you said: You can learn a lot (and from the way I learn, this is exactly the best way of me doing it!).

My one complaint is that my parents are gonna be "We put you through college for THIS?" for a while.

Edit:
I've never known anyone personally who did this sort of thing. I've known people who have done QA, and talked about people like that. They hate that kind of guy. Not the kind that asks questions with intent to learn.

Sorry, your post is a bit confusing. Is it that "likes to ask questions to learn" kinda guy that's hated, or just the constantly "peppering you with questions because he thinks his way might be better" guy?

balohna

Iaido Sword said:
It's necessary to learn the 2D to master 3D. Perspective, shading, colour balance, scale, and all that need to be considered as you make a 3D model.

You can't just make a model and hope it works out in the end.
That's true to an extent, but some of the best environment modellers I know aren't good at 2D art. I guess it's safe to say the truly fantastic ones draw well though.

Character artists though, they likely need to know how to draw.

M3wThr33

Banned
Mercutio said:

It's much easier to move up in a company by being friendly. You can have the best ideas in the world, but you're a jerk about it no one is going to care. If you develop a relationship outside of your little group, it'll help you a lot.

M3wThr33 said:
I feel it was worth my time, but you HAVE to go in it knowing that you want to program or animate. Going in there to be a game designer (As many many many people do) is just going to be throwing away your money and wasting years of your life.
I really don't think art or coding are the only options. There are some demands for designers, but I admit, not a great demand.

They don't have a game design program to set you up for failure. It has its purpose and it was created because those companies wanted it.

balohna

Althane said:
Sorry if I ever gave the impression that QA would be a fun job. Here's my opinion on it (as a 19-year old college student who's not worked a day in the industry so far):

QA is all about testing things again and again, poking them and prodding them so they break. Then you figure out what you did to make it break, and report it back.

Repeat x10000.

Now, I'm pretty sure you can have great fun with your colleagues and all, but chances are the JOB itself won't be fun. The COMPANY may be excellent however.

However, I also figure that it will be a good position to start if I go into the industry exactly for the reason you said: You can learn a lot (and from the way I learn, this is exactly the best way of me doing it!).

My one complaint is that my parents are gonna be "We put you through college for THIS?" for a while.
An instructor of mine said QA was the most fun he ever had in the industry. I think it's more to do with the relatively laid back attitude than the actual work itself.

Althane

balohna said:
An instructor of mine said QA was the most fun he ever had in the industry. I think it's more to do with the relatively laid back attitude than the actual work itself.

Interesting. Well, I'm sure I'd have fun wherever I went (I'm just that kinda guy who has trouble complaining in life), so that's good. =P

Still, $10 an hour is pretty ... yeah. $80 a day isn't a great amount to live on. Better start saving now, da?

Somnia said:
I told myself this once before and it fucked up my progress. Trust me you need to be happy where you work, but money makes a big part of that happiness.
That depends on your mindset. I was already happy with the $10/hr job I had prior to thinking about getting into the industry.

M3wThr33

Banned
Iaido Sword said:
I really don't think art or coding are the only options. There are some demands for designers, but I admit, not a great demand.

They don't have a game design program to set you up for failure. It has its purpose and it was created because those companies wanted it.

I mean at my school. DigiPen only added some game design degree VERY recently, AFTER I graduated. I have no clue about it. Before that, DP was only THOSE two, but people still went there expecting something else.

Althane said:

Repeat x10000.

That's a good summary of QA. The job itself isn't fun, but the people around you can make if tolerable.

Mercutio

Althane said:
Sorry, your post is a bit confusing. Is it that "likes to ask questions to learn" kinda guy that's hated, or just the constantly "peppering you with questions because he thinks his way might be better" guy?

Oh, I mean that (from what I've heard) people tend to like the guy who asks questions because he genuinely wants to learn.

Basch

M3wThr33 said:
That was my biggest fear at DigiPen, was wondering if I'd still want to be in the game industry, if the degree mattered, if anyone would care.

In the end, I got it, the school got accredited on a basic level at least, and I had learned enough to land a job. But I look at some of these schools and just fear for dumb, easily brainwashed kids that think their school is the best for game development, as if that's not a broad enough category on its own.

I'm actually considering attending DigiPen. The degree is nice, but I'm just looking for the skill sets and realistic application development companies are hiring for. Do you feel they offered valuable experience in those departments? I hope I have the qualities and characteristics they look for in prospective employees. It's a gambling game, but I intend to make it. I'm not giving up. They are offering two new fields in Game Design. One specializing in the technical aspects, and the other in the artistic. I'm still deciding which one I want to take, but would you say the overall environment and experience helped you in building a possible future career? Thanks for anything you are willing to share. :D

balohna

Althane said:
Interesting. Well, I'm sure I'd have fun wherever I went (I'm just that kinda guy who has trouble complaining in life), so that's good. =P

Still, $10 an hour is pretty ... yeah. $80 a day isn't a great amount to live on. Better start saving now, da?
If it makes a difference, he worked up quickly and was eventually a producer on the SSX series at EA. It probably sucks if you're stuck at the bottom. I agree the money isn't that great. I'm shopping around for design jobs, but if I can't get one soon I'm going to get into QA ASAP.

Somnia

Iaido Sword said:
That depends on your mindset. I was already happy with the $10/hr job I had prior to thinking about getting into the industry.

That's great and all, but try having a family or living a nonstressed life at 10/hour

balohna said:

That depends on the place. Some places that have their own QA department, it can be enjoyable and laid back because of the friends you make with co-workers.

I have heard that places like VMC are pretty much like a factory.

Althane

balohna said:
If it makes a difference, he worked up quickly and was eventually a producer on the SSX series at EA. It probably sucks if you're stuck at the bottom. I agree the money isn't that great. I'm shopping around for design jobs, but if I can't get one soon I'm going to get into QA ASAP.

Here's a question that you might know:

Is it likely to start in the QA position and work your way up the company, or is it more likely that you'll be shifting gears from company to company?

(This is actually a good example of me in action. If I don't know about a subject, I find people who do, and keep asking. I DO shut up when people don't want to talk to me though. =P )

M3wThr33 said:
I mean at my school. DigiPen only added some game design degree VERY recently, AFTER I graduated. I have no clue about it. Before that, DP was only THOSE two, but people still went there expecting something else.
Yeah, I think it is pretty new at my place as well. I believe I heard that designers are a role that is never looked at because it gets filled, but companies are finding that they do need designers with the training to do what designers do.

I hope Balohna can confirm this. Do you know when they implemented this program or if it was implemented at your time at school?

Undeux

element said:
how are you going to pay for your school? That is your typical bright eyed game lover. Making games is a business, it is hard work, it eats your soul, kills your friendships. Come back after a year in the industry, your opinions will change...

Seriously. I dropped out of school for a while to work a job in the gaming industry. I worked my ass off for a few years and realized that I completely hated my life, so I quit and went back to school. I'm not saying that everyone would feel that way, but I definitely wish I hadn't jumped into a shitty situation just because I was excited to work in gaming.

Edit: I also had awesome, fun times and ended up getting into a much better situation at work after the first year or two, so don't take that to mean that I think the gaming industry is horrible, it's just not necessarily what I dreamed of .

element

Also, true story, here's an answer I got once: "I'm not sure that I've played any of your games, what have you released?"
I have had that before. I personal favorite was 'I really don't enjoy the games you guys make.' :lol :lol

It's necessary to learn the 2D to master 3D. Perspective, shading, colour balance, scale, and all that need to be considered as you make a 3D model.
how ever many pages ago you told me that this stuff isn't important and that a natural skill or talent for that doesn't exists. >continues to hit head on wall<

Teriyaki

Althane said:
Heh, I'd be surprised if they didn't kill me for going "Hey, why'd you do this this way instead of doing it that way?"

(I'm big on asking questions, I already know how I think, I want to know how everybody else thinks. Which would probably wear out in a business environment pretty quickly)

This is fine in some context. If you're willing to learn, people are willing to teach, but don't do it during crunch. :D

Personally, I like people who show an interest in self-improvement. It shows passion and commitment, and if they move on to something better...well, some things are just greater than the project or the job.

M3wThr33

Banned
Basch said:
I'm actually considering attending DigiPen. The degree is nice, but I'm just looking for the skill sets and realistic application development companies are hiring for. Do you feel they offered valuable experience in those departments? I hope I have the qualities and characteristics they look for in prospective employees. It's a gambling game, but I intend to make it. I'm not giving up. They are offering two new fields in Game Design. One specializing in the technical aspects, and the other in the artistic. I'm still deciding which one I want to take, but would you say the overall environment and experience helped you in building a possible future career? Thanks for anything you are willing to share. :D

Like I said, they added the design degree after I left, but if it's like their other degrees:

You get out of it what you put into it. Just trying to pass is NOT the goal
The curriculum will change year to year. They will make you feel like a guinea pig.
You will be surrounded by people EXACTLY like you and make friends. (And enemies)
You will have a slight understanding of the industry and good preparation, but don't fool yourself. STAY HUMBLE. Shit changes from when the teachers used to work.

But don't be fooled. DigiPen is easy to get into, but hard to stay in.

Honestly, it's been almost 2 years since I finished up there and I'm not the best resource for it, but if you are DEDICATED to it and know that it's the degree you want, you'll do fine. The good students get job offers about 2-3 months before graduating. If you don't get one by then, you're in trouble.

balohna said:
You should go back to school and find those instructors you met that worked in the industry. They can probably connect you into any QA job.

The Backbone guy you were referring is now in a new studio with one game out. From the sound of it, the company may be looking for more people. They have three designers for three games. Should look into it.

balohna

Althane said:

Is it likely to start in the QA position and work your way up the company, or is it more likely that you'll be shifting gears from company to company?

(This is actually a good example of me in action. If I don't know about a subject, I find people who do, and keep asking. I DO shut up when people don't want to talk to me though. =P )
I don't mind talking, but my knowledge is fairly limited. I'm in Vancouver and most QA is done through Volt/VMC for EA. It's outsourced, but you work on the EA Burnaby campus. I've heard it's possible to work your way up and catch the eye of someone at EA, but I'm expecting to have to look for work elsewhere. The instructor I spoke of did QA at EA back when it was all internal, and back then I think it was fairly standard for someone to move up like that. This would have been the late 90's.

element

I think it's more to do with the relatively laid back attitude than the actual work itself.
QA is not relaxed. At least it isn't anymore. It is cutthroat, stab others in the back, because everyone wants that next step up, either it be a design job, art job, or production job.

The instructor I spoke of did QA at EA back when it was all internal, and back then I think it was fairly standard for someone to move up like that. This would have been the late 90's.
SO TRUE. Volt/VMC does shipyard type stuff here in the Seattle area. They need 16 people and 20 show up. 4 people get to go home and are told, 'you should show up earlier next time'.
Read this article. http://www.seattleweekly.com/2007-0...-harder-than-an-afternoon-with-xbox-right.php

Althane

Teriyaki said:
This is fine in some context. If you're willing to learn, people are willing to teach, but don't do it during crunch. :D

Personally, I like people who show an interest in self-improvement. It shows passion and commitment, and if they move on to something better...well, some things are just greater than the project or the job.

Would any of you guys suggest an internship (are there any?) in this kind of situation?

Right now I'm doing summer research at my school, and I've pretty much determined that, while interesting, this isn't what I want to do (although, to be fair, the professor that I'm doing the research FOR ... well, let's just say that every time I told someone else that, they just laughed at me. I shoulda taken the hint). Payed, unpaid, it doesn't really matter, but some experience (and connections) would be really helpful.

Do you guys know of any such internships?

balohna

Iaido Sword said:
You should go back to school and find those instructors you met that worked in the industry. They can probably connect you into any QA job.

The Backbone guy you were referring is now in a new studio with one game out. From the sound of it, the company may be looking for more people. They have three designers for three games. Should look into it.
United Front? They have no games out and 2 projects going on. It's probably a good idea for me to apply there anyways. I tried to get back in touch with him, but he hasn't gotten back to me yet.

There might be confusion because there are two former Backbone producers working at AI. I'm talking about Dan.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Althane said:

Depends on the company. If you're doing QA for a publisher that doesn't have internal development, you'll have to jump to another place if you're looking for a non-production role. If the place you're at does have internal teams, then it all depends on how regularly entry-level positions open up. You'll have more opportunity at larger companies obviously, so if you're at a smaller company that might only get 3 or 4 entry level openings a year and don't have the patience (or can't afford the patience) to wait, you'll be looking around to other companies for openings.

Just remember that you typically have an advantage applying for a position in your current company than outside, especially if you know people on the dev side and work with them regularly. You lose this advantage applying elsewhere, and are likely competing with that company's own internal candidates as well.

Myself, I jumped around 3 other companies QA departments before ending where I currently am. Spent another couple years in QA, moved up to lead, and then transferred over to Production when the opportunity was there.
Althane said:
Would any of you guys suggest an internship (are there any?) in this kind of situation?

Right now I'm doing summer research at my school, and I've pretty much determined that, while interesting, this isn't what I want to do (although, to be fair, the professor that I'm doing the research FOR ... well, let's just say that every time I told someone else that, they just laughed at me. I shoulda taken the hint). Payed, unpaid, it doesn't really matter, but some experience (and connections) would be really helpful.

Some companies offer internship programs, yes. Just look around their company websites. We currently have 6 or so interns working here for the summer. Do note though that some sites won't post any info until the appropriate time period leading up towards application time.

Mercutio

Althane said:

What really kind of sucks is that so many internships these days are essentially unpaid, and you're expected to do as much work and at a similar level of quality to those working full time. You do learn, it's simply unfortunate that it's more about free labor and less about teaching possible future employees.

I'd love to encourage people to avoid that kind of thing, but I know people will always fight tooth over nail for them.

element said:
how ever many pages ago you told me that this stuff isn't important and that a natural skill or talent for that doesn't exists. >continues to hit head on wall<
It wasn't about talent. If he can't draw because he lacked talent, then I must be talented at drawing even though I never drawn before. I aced that course and he couldn't even bother to follow instructions.

He played with Maya and Photoshop a lot. He's "talented" at it, but he's been working at it for a long time. He just wanted to be in courses in which he could glide through to his diploma.
M3wThr33 said:
Like I said, they added the design degree after I left, but if it's like their other degrees:

The curriculum will change year to year. They will make you feel like a guinea pig.
You will be surrounded by people EXACTLY like you and make friends. (And enemies)
You will have a slight understanding of the industry and good preparation, but don't fool yourself. STAY HUMBLE. Shit changes from when the teachers used to work.

Honestly, it's been almost 2 years since I finished up there and I'm not the best resource for it, but if you are DEDICATED to it and know that it's the degree you want, you'll do fine. The good students get job offers about 2-3 months before graduating. If you don't get one by then, you're in trouble.
Oh, I'm doing more than passing. I get pissed off at myself for getting a B (85-89%) in a course. I have to constantly make work that I feel like I can put in one of my future games that I thought of. Apparently, I modeled a shit ton of mechs.

Oh don't have to tell me about changing curriculum. I was a damn guinea pig for one course and paid quite heavily for it. It's the worst course ever with the worst instructor ever! He was a programming who thought he could design, but he's not a designer and he doesn't know how to design games. He screwed the entire class outright. Good thing I was able to drive myself and make a near perfect final project.

I feel the same way about my school. I'm not sure if this is true, but they say my Art Institute is the only school in Canada open 24/7. The students live there and push their limits to completing projects. The good ones are there to make their projects absolutely exceptional.

My buddy who won the IGF award said he stayed at school for a week drinking Red Bulls and stinking pretty damn hard. I am definitely prepared to sweat hard to get through school. It is definitely hard work already.

balohna said:
United Front? They have no games out and 2 projects going on. It's probably a good idea for me to apply there anyways. I tried to get back in touch with him, but he hasn't gotten back to me yet.

There might be confusion because there are two former Backbone producers working at AI. I'm talking about Dan.
Ah yes, wrong person. Dan? I'll pm.

Don't want to let these names out.

XiaNaphryz

Mercutio said:
What really kind of sucks is that so many internships these days are essentially unpaid, and you're expected to do as much work and at a similar level of quality to those working full time. You do learn, it's simply unfortunate that it's more about free labor and less about teaching possible future employees.

I'd love to encourage people to avoid that kind of thing, but I know people will always fight tooth over nail for them.
Our training department is trying to avoid that situation, and we actually have contracted a university professor to help oversee the interns and their work. This particular prof had worked with us while on sabbatical as a tools engineer, so he knows our pipeline and process.

balohna

I spent several sleepless nights at AIV, especially this past quarter. When I wasn't staying over night I was there for 10-14 hours during the day.

Basch

M3wThr33 said:

Thanks. I'll definitely keep everything here in mind. I always welcome criticism. Matter of fact, I like it when people are able to tear apart what I'm working on so I can build it back up and make it even better. The enemies though... Seriously? Why the hate? Competition, I'd assume. My goal is to learn. Grades don't matter, but it would be nice to see an 'A' after all the hard work. :D Change is synonymous with Technology. So that part is to be expected. Thanks again for the feedback. I'm taking so much notes from this thread. Really, you guys are invaluable. Much love. <3

Mercutio

XiaNaphryz said:
Our training department is trying to avoid that situation, and we actually have contracted a university professor to help oversee the interns and their work. This particular prof had worked with us while on sabbatical as a tools engineer, so he knows our pipeline and process.

Nice to know companies are working on it. Sounds like you guys are way beyond anything I've heard of... that seems great! Usually it's the smaller places that have a problem with it. Especially in the boutique CG animation market.

Oh, random piece of design advice for people:
I find that a lot of people in school will continue working on a model / rig / animation even if it isn't working out. Bite the bullet and start it again from scratch. It might SEEM like it will take longer to do that, but you've learned from your early mistakes without even knowing it and you'll be surprised how much better the second stab will come out.

M3wThr33

Banned
24/7? God damn. I'd kill myself if DP did that. The kids never go home as it is and certain rooms smell to HIGH HEAVEN. What is it with nerds and not knowing how to take a god damn shower?

Basch said:
Thanks. I'll definitely keep everything here in mind. I always welcome criticism. Matter of fact, I like it when people are able to tear apart what I'm working on so I can build it back up and make it even better. The enemies though... Seriously? Why the hate? Competition, I'd assume. My goal is to learn. Grades don't matter, but it would be nice to see an 'A' after all the hard work. :D Change is synonymous with Technology. So that part is to be expected. Thanks again for the feedback. I'm taking so much notes from this thread. Really, you guys are invaluable. Much love. <3

It's more that roommates didn't always mesh well with me. People lied about their cleanliness habits and certain tolerances. I suppose it's just general college experience.

balohna said:
I spent several sleepless nights at AIV, especially this past quarter. When I wasn't staying over night I was there for 10-14 hours during the day.
Yes, I also had the 3 course a day at one semester. 4 hours per course is brutal.
Basch said:
The only enemy I made is this guy who looked at me funny. He looks at everyone funny.

I was in a room playing board games with some guys, he came in every five minutes to sharpen his pencil. Talk about creepy.

XiaNaphryz

Mercutio said:
Nice to know companies are working on it. Sounds like you guys are way beyond anything I've heard of... that seems great! Usually it's the smaller places that have a problem with it. Especially in the boutique CG animation market.
This is actually the first year of our new intern program, we just lucked out into having had that prof work with us last year and he had a good enough experience that he agreed to help out with the intern stuff. :D

M3wThr33 said:
24/7? God damn. I'd kill myself if DP did that. The kids never go home as it is and certain rooms smell to HIGH HEAVEN. What is it with nerds and not knowing how to take a god damn shower?
It's pretty hardcore there.

People sleeping on sofas or even on the floor. I live quite close enough to get a good nights sleep on my bed. Some people come from out of town to goto school. Imagine need to drive 2 hours to get to school. I know one guy who does it. I would just sleep at school rather than pay the ridiculous gas price.

balohna

Oh, I've never had 3 classes. I meant just staying at school late/coming to school early every day.

I'm kind of an odd case because I chose not to pirate any software, so I had to go to school when I wanted to use Photoshop. It was a good way to make friends though.

Mercutio

M3wThr33 said:

That's almost always a sign of poor time management early on in the project.

kamikaze

Somnia said:
That's great and all, but try having a family or living a nonstressed life at 10/hour

oh, come on! that $10/hr turns into $15/hr when you're doing OT...good-bye ramen hello chef boyardee! :D

it's probably been mentioned, but to those thinking of working QA, $10/hr can work for a few months and maybe even longer but unless you're good at keeping your costs of living low, it'll wear on you.

Mercutio

balohna said:
Students with poor time management skills? Crazy.

I know, right? Nuts. The hilarious thing is that they don't realize how massively unproductive you are if you don't sleep and work that much. Time to decompress and think things through makes good designs great. 1 well rested hour is worth 4 tired and crazy hours, in rough math. YMMV.

bluemax

Banned
Games industry internships are still really new. I did a tools scripting one that was unpaid and applied for a few others that I never heard back from (mostly with bigger places like Sony/EA).

Project experience and technical knowledge seemed to be the most important things when I interviewed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom