• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Thread of Independent, Limited and Region Specific Retail Releases

ITSMILNER

Postage to the UK is around $20 and overtime I've ordered with them I've been hit with an additional ~£20 customs fee.

Damn, did that then, I think I'll hold off on this release unless I can pick it up elsewhere

It would be a good thing really as it might put me off trying to buy every single physical release on Switch : D

Semoreh

I won't take it since I already own a ps4 version and the shipping cost are horrendous, but if I were planning to full-set the console I wouldn't miss it : it will probably get crazy expensive in the future like the first ps4 version did.

ITSMILNER

I can imagine trying to full set the Switch will be too expensive a task! I'm happy picking up what I can get hold of physically without payin through the nose and get the rest digitally

Saoshyant

With so many small-time publishers these days I can't keep up anymore with what indies have gotten physical release, are getting a physical release soon, were rumored to have one but never got one, and my own wishlist. So, I'm wondering if anyone knows if Jazzpunk got one or is getting one. It's not on the OP's spreadsheet, which is probably not a sign of it being a thing, but it's probably worth asking.

Olengie

With so many small-time publishers these days I can't keep up anymore with what indies have gotten physical release, are getting a physical release soon, were rumored to have one but never got one, and my own wishlist. So, I'm wondering if anyone knows if Jazzpunk got one or is getting one. It's not on the OP's spreadsheet, which is probably not a sign of it being a thing, but it's probably worth asking.

Haven't heard anything about that.

Clive

Semoreh

Agreed, Headsup games have been awful communicating if the will be publishing physical copies ala Binding of Issac

Yeah. If there weren't "complete editions" with a manual for the day one games involved, I wouldn't be so worried. But I fear I may miss it and only end up with a subpar edition because of their lack of communication.

Jimm

I just recieved my Tachyon Project for Vita. Again, incredible love and care into the packing and packaging. What a great release. I feel like it's kind of wasted on me as I just wanted the game alone, the box is so lovely but I don't collect LEs so I'll have to find a home for it.

These Switch releases are getting more common which are great, Tiny Barbarian looks so rad I'll have to get on that soon.

Does the spine text on Switch games annoy anyone else though? The vast majority of games are white text but there's some standouts like Has Been Heroes and the US Bomberman R that are the logos. Why not one or the other! Haha it's PAL PS3 all over again

hawk2025

I don’t know why this wasn’t detailed anywhere, but the Tiny Barbarian package is amazing.

It’s not just the manual, it also comes with the little pouch and a keychain, which in Cave Story’s case was Gamestop exclusive.

Manual has lots of art, an interview and a mini comic book intro. Finally, there’s a very nice reversible cover!

If Nicalis keeps this up I’ll buy every single one of their games I have a passing interest in. It helps that the game is also growing a lot on me after the first couple of levels.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
I don’t know why this wasn’t detailed anywhere, but the Tiny Barbarian package is amazing.

It’s not just the manual, it also comes with the little pouch and a keychain, which in Cave Story’s case was Gamestop exclusive.

Manual has lots of art, an interview and a mini comic book intro. Finally, there’s a very nice reversible cover!

If Nicalis keeps this up I’ll buy every single one of their games I have a passing interest in. It helps that the game is also growing a lot on me after the first couple of levels.
I saw this video last week. I thought everyone knew.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pl_uwPMfv7M

TheMoon

Does the spine text on Switch games annoy anyone else though? The vast majority of games are white text but there's some standouts like Has Been Heroes and the US Bomberman R that are the logos. Why not one or the other! Haha it's PAL PS3 all over again

this happens for every gen for every platform. it's a mess.

this happens for every gen for every platform. it's a mess.

Probably because there are no clear guidelines, so it's up to publishers to choose. Or maybe there are different guidelines in different territories.

I usually prefer logos, but the Switch cases are quite slim, so just plain white text on red background is probably the cleaner option.

TheMoon

Probably because there are no clear guidelines, so it's up to publishers to choose. Or maybe there are different guidelines in different territories.

I usually prefer logos, but the Switch cases are quite slim, so just plain white text on red background is probably the cleaner option.

no, they're literally flipping coins. it's not even consistent within publishers or regions or series or anything really. there is absolutely no pattern. they're just nuts. it's not even as simple as "this logo is more vertical so we have to use plain text" ...they're all just mad!

mr lurtle

Looks like Max: The Curse of the Brotherhood gets a retail release:

MAXCBPS4.jpg

https://www.base.com/buy/product/max-the-curse-of-brotherhood-ps4/dgc-maxcbps4.htm

Jimm

no, they're literally flipping coins. it's not even consistent within publishers or regions or series or anything really. there is absolutely no pattern. they're just nuts. it's not even as simple as "this logo is more vertical so we have to use plain text" ...they're all just mad!

Yeah even within game series on the same platform it's wildly inconsistent. I just find PS3 and PS4 the worst haha. XB1 spines look nice as they are mostly logos not white text but I don't collect for that. The PAL PS2 was so mint. But you're right, every platform is a mess haha

And here I was wondering what SOEDESCO was up to after being one of the first in the business, just to vanish from the market right after.

Their still kicking; the physical release World to the West, after a bunch of delays, was released just last month.

It's nice that they're starting to release XB1 titles in North America now. Stuff is much more appealing when you don't have to factor in import costs.

ITSMILNER

I just recieved my Tachyon Project for Vita. Again, incredible love and care into the packing and packaging. What a great release. I feel like it's kind of wasted on me as I just wanted the game alone, the box is so lovely but I don't collect LEs so I'll have to find a home for it.

These Switch releases are getting more common which are great, Tiny Barbarian looks so rad I'll have to get on that soon.

It bugs me as the PAL boxes the spine art is centered whilst on my US copy of Cave Story and Asia copy of I Am Setsuna the spine art is at the top of the spine

Jimm

It bugs me as the PAL boxes the spine art is centered whilst on my US copy of Cave Story and Asia copy of I Am Setsuna the spine art is at the top of the spine

Yeah my I Am Setsuna definitely stands out because of that. Australian releases throw another thing into the mix where some games have the game's age rating on the spine. All games on every platform, DVD and Blu Ray releases here have the rating on the spine... some Switch games do some don't. So dumb haha

Semoreh

Just seen that Axiom Verge (Switch version at least) is showing as releasing January 2018 on Amazon UK now : /

That's the worst case of systematic postponing I've seen in a while.
Well, that and Don't Starve.

I received my Undertales from Fangamer. Great packaging, with a custom sized box for each game (one small for the vita, one bigger for the PS4, one even bigger for the PS4 CE).
I ended up paying import fees though, but I expected it so wasn't surprised.

JDH

Looks like the spreadsheet hasn't been updated in some time. Just wanted to throw it out there how much I appreciate it :D

Looks like the spreadsheet hasn't been updated in some time. Just wanted to throw it out there how much I appreciate it :D

My primary internet device for the past ~5 months has been a phone and an older laptop, both of which don't handle Google sheets very well.

Sounds like the repairs to my home will be done next month; I'll absolutely be going back through the doc once I'm back there with my desktop.

chashodges

Neo Member
My Undertale package arrived, or rather my customs bill arrived. £20+ as expected.

Lets hope I get a decent amount of enjoyment out of it, given the ridiculously high price to import!

emb

My Undertale got here this week as well, should be fun. Also grabbed Tiny Barbarian a couple days ago.

I had Axiom Verge written down for today, but I had either picked up the wrong date or it got pushed a little. Amazon is telling me Nov. 21 now.

I know its had plaudits, but considering I could have picked it up a bunch of times on Steam for very little, and I will have now plumped over a hundred pounds into the Vita and PS4 edition I hope I enjoy it!

well if you end up not liking it at least it'll be a valuable lesson

try before you buy!

FWIW, I really enjoyed Tiny Barbarian... except the final boss, which was super hard. Sounds like the devs might consider toning it down in a patch.

Top Bottom