• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TMNT Mutant Mayhem Trailer

SJRB

That April O'Neil

iu

SafeOrAlone

Banned
Considering the target audience, it's a pretty good trailer. Decently funny and the visuals are fantastic.

That said, it's not the tone I want for a TMNT movie.

They have all this hype built up from the recent comic, "The Last Ronin", which is on the New York Times Best Seller list, and the movie they've been building is made strictly for children. They should be aiming at the Marvel/DC movie audience, because there are plenty of older fans and the stories are deserving of that treatment.

jason10mm

Damn I feel like TMNT is perpetually stuck doing an origin movie over and over and over, WE GET IT, their origin is literally the series name!

The art is fine(ish), but that low frame rate....eck. And that April......I'll just say nothing. And did Splinter have a 'fro or a perm?

AJUMP23

Considering the target audience, it's a pretty good trailer. Decently funny and the visuals are fantastic.

That said, it's not the tone I want for a TMNT movie.

They have all this hype built up from the recent comic, "The Last Ronin", which is on the New York Times Best Seller list, and the movie they've been building is made strictly for children. They should be aiming at the Marvel/DC movie audience, because there are plenty of older fans and the stories are deserving of that treatment.
That is the difference between the Comic and the movies. Comic done by Eastman can be dark and gritty. Nickelodeon wants the movies to appeal to a wide audience and have parents take kids. Nickelodeon is trying to do things to appeal to everyone. So they have Eastman write his comic, and then a broader scope with movies.

April in the original comic was a black woman.
bGdXo59U_140520190737lola.jpg

SafeOrAlone

Banned
That is the difference between the Comic and the movies. Comic done by Eastman can be dark and gritty. Nickelodeon wants the movies to appeal to a wide audience and have parents take kids. Nickelodeon is trying to do things to appeal to everyone. So they have Eastman write his comic, and then a broader scope with movies.

Yeah, but I do believe the approach limits the appeal of the movies.

Marvel and DC aren't under any illusion that they can't sell to children, despite having movies that adults can enjoy. TMNT is in the same world as those properties, with the added bonus that it's comic was outselling theirs over the last couple years. The Last Ronin sold like crazy. I really think a larger audience is there if they approach the film in the way they approach the comics.

They can always make more cartoons that are strictly for kids.

DadEggs

Speculation here but i dont think people have an issue with her race, its the art direction. If the movie is good, theyll get over it fast and forget they even moaned in the first place

AJUMP23

Yeah, but I do believe the approach limits the appeal of the movies.

Marvel and DC aren't under any illusion that they can't sell to children, despite having movies that adults can enjoy. TMNT is in the same world as those properties, with the added bonus that it's comic was outselling theirs over the last couple years. The Last Ronin sold like crazy. I really think a larger audience is there if they approach the film in the way they approach the comics.

They can always make more cartoons that are strictly for kids.
Last Ronin was the first comic series I purchased in years. It was great. To me it is weird to see Eastman work as an employee on it and not a creator anymore. He made them but he and laird sold their stake years ago. I think laird will never come back.

SafeOrAlone

Banned
Last Ronin was the first comic series I purchased in years. It was great. To me it is weird to see Eastman work as an employee on it and not a creator anymore. He made them but he and laird sold their stake years ago. I think laird will never come back.
Cool! The Last Ronin was the best TMNT story in years, for my money.

It is weird seeing Eastman as an employee, but very few properties have the creator still pushing them forward nearly 40 years into their lives, so the fact that he is still passionately working on them is pretty special.

I would have never expected Laird to come back...until he did a recent interview on the "Kayfabe" Youtube channel and hinted that he's been pondering what a new TMNT story by him and Kevin would be like. Pretty cool!
Forgot where I read it, but apparently he was in disbelief when someone told him that TLR had made the NY Times Best Seller list. Maybe he realized people still care about the comic version of the property.

TurnOneYeti

I kinda like the art style but man do these studio execs really love to take everything adults enjoyed in their childhood and totally shit on it for for the sake of capturing a younger generation.

Last edited:

AJUMP23

I would have never expected Laird to come back...until he did a recent interview on the "Kayfabe" Youtube channel and hinted that he's been pondering what a new TMNT story by him and Kevin would be like. Pretty cool!
Forgot where I read it, but apparently he was in disbelief when someone told him that TLR had made the NY Times Best Seller list. Maybe he realized people still care about the comic version of the property.

I would like to read this, or hear this.

jason10mm

Yeah, and if she looked like that no one would be complaining. Plus ginger reporter April is the one that virtually everyone grew up with and this film probably owes more to that version than the comics.

Though I hear the OG comic April was based on a mixed race woman, and that hair perm coulda (and was) on EVERYONE at the time.

wacAm0A.jpg

Kacho

Wonder how this will do at the box office. This doesn’t appeal to my nostalgia and my kids won’t care.

Pejo

Does anyone actually like this marvel quipfest dialogue anymore? Holy shit I'm tired of it. Can we have characters actually invested in their story again instead of just telling shitty little jokes the whole time?

SafeOrAlone

Banned
I would like to read this, or hear this.
After this, you can move onto the joint Eastman & Laird interviews they did a few weeks ago. They go through the first few issues of the comic and discuss. Peter seems to have had more coffee in the other interviews. Still waking up in this one lol.

Last edited:

Saber

This art is veeery ugly. And...was that April???
What the heck is happening with TMNT for them to deserve this?

Last edited:
  • Empathy
Reactions: Fuz

SafeOrAlone

Banned
I feel like the art is the least of the movie's issues. It's gorgeous imo. They didn't sterilize everything. There is a raw quality to it and it doesn't ditch the grungy look of the original comics, which is much appreciated.

I just wish it wasn't a story being aimed primarily at children. I think it deserves to be taken as seriously as any other comic adaption but Nick is scared to do it.

I really can't hate on the visuals though.

Batiman

Art style looks dope. Not 100% sold on the humour. Then again I’m not the target audience at my age

Last edited:

Amey

Someone dialed the Artistic filter slider beyond max. Looks interesting in a still frame but as soon as they start moving, eyes can't focus on a single thing.
And who the heck approved Fatpril.

Toons

Looks awesome. Gorgeous art style, looks great and motion and allowed plenty of comic like details to be out in.

Whats even better is they focus on the bond of brothers over mindless action which tells me they have their priorities straight. No tiktok dances, nothing particularly trendy, just played straight and goofy and fun.

And yes, they made April younge recorded a grown adult woman hanging out with teenage boys for her weekend nights was actually kinda strange if you think about it. Seems like she's gonna be a gorilla reporter here, which is cool and blends her origins with a more modern take.

Sign me up.

SafeOrAlone

Banned
Generally speaking, fans were very upset with Megan Fox's casting, but it was like the fifth domino to fall at that point and hope had been lost. Michael Bay came onboard, then he started talking about them coming from a planet of aliens, then they cast Fox. Each sent a shudder through the internet, but fans were basically beaten to a pulp at that point.

poodaddy

I was completely ready to hate it....but I don't. April O Neil always looked black or at least mixed to me in the early comics anyway, and it seems mildly funny.
Also, if you don't like Tribe, I don't like you. Great song for the trailer. I'm a life long Turtles fan man, and I'm 35, but this doesn't seem bad at all. I would prefer it a little darker for sure, but this isn't bad at all, for a trailer at least. I'm not saying the movie will be good, hell it might suck, but this wasn't offensively terrible in any way. I'll definitely take this over the goddamn shameful Bay turtles.

BlackTron

It seems better than the CGI fest movies we got about 10ish years ago but that's a really, really low bar.

I'll probably just watch TMNT 1 again when this releases out of spite.

poodaddy

What the fuck is that shaky camera though...
It's a very annoying and pervasive trend now. I don't really get the appeal of it in anything. Absolutely hated it in Obi Wan, and it just seemed unnecessary and thematically inappropriate in every scene in which it was utilized.

Captiosus

Looks like a hot mess. Like Rogan wants to be closer to the comics but can't because Nick wants TMNT to remain a kid's only property.

But then again, given how writers tried to make a "adult" version of Scooby-Doo Velma, I'm not sure sticking to the more gritty comics would have worked either.

Kacho

At this point you have to wonder why they keep insisting on "suBveRTinG EXpeCaTiOns" when everyone and their mum hates it.
I have to assume studios got the message, but a lot of the stuff coming out over the next year + was already in production, so they can't exactly pull out or make big changes at the last minute. That's why Disney is dumping shit like Pinocchio and Peter Pan on Disney+. It will probably be two years before we see a course correction there.

Last edited:
Top Bottom