• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Warriors Series Community Thread | Analyzing the complexities of Square and Triangle

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
I don't know if i like the storm rush feature. it feels...OP.

i understand it can be turned off but it's hard not to abuse it. it seems like its too much flash and not enough substance.

almost on the level of "press A for awesome"

Yea it kind of is OP. On higher difficulties, even doing crazy juggle chains, much of the pure damage comes from chipping away with Storm Rush. It's a nice breather though and I am not so bothered by its inclusion. Some of the most difficult duels on Chaos or Ultimate are often decided by linking multiple storm rushes between meager juggle/combo strings.

I'd like a shift away from weapon switching entirely also for the next game though. A lot of these issues sort of stem from that systemic decision, including just equipping someone else's ultimate fused weapon despite the lack of EX moves.

Noi

I bought Ken's Rage 2 during the PSN anime sale. It's pretty bad.

The same friend that asked me to pick it up during the Anime sale had warned me that the game was pretty poop (but wants to round up peeps for the online trophies), but man hearing it is different from playing it. Probably the most egregious aspect so far is all these god damn enemy arenas where the game wants me to clear out 70+ thugs before I can move on. It'd be fine if I only have to do it once, but they want me to do it like 6 times per "stage". Despite increasing the movement speed from the first game, those arenas make the game feel like I'm barely making progress.

Story mode is annoying. Being interrupted every couple of seconds with unskippable "cutscenes" is awful, and using static 3D models as manga panels comes across as super lazy.

I went into Dream mode and this is the only character I can use. His attacks are kind of amusing but none of them stagger officers so he's effectively 100% useless.

hKbuWcE.jpg

The fuk where the priorities for the people who made this? This was supposed to celebrate the series' 30th anniversary. :/

The game doesn't have any version of "Ai o Torimodose!!" (or even Tough Boy). Seriously, dafuq KT? At least the OP team drastically improved for OP2.

heck, i liked FotNS 2 more than the first, even though half of the game is a reatread of the first game and the storyline.

playing the first game is just so slow and cumbersome, i was just happy about the speed and choice of characters/forced use in the storyline rather than having to play the same maps with all characters again and again.

also seeing the Kaioh storyline was interesting. The second game didn't have the badass intro though so that sucks.

Anyhoo, i would only recommend the FotNS Musou games to actual fans of the series. I'm just having fun blasting fools as Jagi in Dream Mode and the story in itself, even though cheaply made in both games, is great and interesting.

I went into Dream mode and this is the only character I can use. His attacks are kind of amusing but none of them stagger officers so he's effectively 100% useless.

you need to complete stages in the storymode to unlock characters.

Noi

Man, I really can't agree. Even a little bit more care was put into designing the encounters in the first game, compared to this game's incredibly lazy "take out 100+ enemies in as little time as possible!" mentality that's basically what you do in every single stage in Legend mode multiple times over. Even when the game has tried to change things up like with the Devil Rebirth boss fight, the result has been the most pathetically easy boss fight I've ever done in a Musou title.

I also dislike how the game feels like it doesn't have a sense of progression. Aside from the act of clearing the stages themselves, there's very little to actually denote how much you've developed a character due to the severely downgraded upgrade system. Having the whole movelist that a character can perform from the start (barring Circle moves) only adds to that since it means you'll never change how you play a character from start to finish. I'm gonna be spamming square > square > triangle with Kenshiro from Chapter 1 to Chapter 35. And why shouldn't I, since that's a move that does a ton of damage, covers a huge radius, doesn't use up any aura and, since most characters have been homogenized to the 9th degree, there's little need to pick up on the nuances of each.

I wouldn't even mind the above as much if the stages were fun to play. Would it have killed them to do more than do back to back to back "Kill X00 group of enemies!" objectives for the entirety of a chapter?

I'll admit that I'm not a huge FotNS fan, but the first game managed to keep me interested and challenged even without being one. This game just seems like a rushed retread that only exists because most of the assets already existed.

My biggest gripe is the huge downgrade in complexity of movesets.

Was everyone sped up? Yes, which is great.
Did many people lose super attacks? Yes.
Did the removal of jumps, proper air combos, jump cancels and R1 cancels nerf the gameplay like crazy? Yes. :(

This killed the game for me because it was nowhere near as fun as the first.

Plus, when the game is constantly pushing you to kill X amount of enemies in Y timeframe, you are penalized for doing anything that isn't spamming your biggest / fastest AoE attacks.

Yeah the timeframe thing is really messed up when you don't use attacks that just kills them straight out =/

And can't believe they didn't bother expanding move sets from the first one and from comments made it even smaller =S

Apparently downloading DW8 on PS4 mostly happens in the background, without it showing up in the Downloads section of the notifications, beyond the first 4 GB. It would be good to know how much longer it takes...

I imagine Omega Force has gotten better about this by now but goddamn.

When the option to join a random person in an online Musou is offered, mention what difficulty they're playing for crying out loud.

I haven't done any SOS requests in Pirate Warriors 2 since the first one I tried. My level 20 character ended up in a Very Hard mission and I died in a single hit.

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
They didn't? Who were the devs then? I always thought that the same team that does OP did Shin Hokuto. The game comes off like a rushed project the team did between OP 1 and 2.

Not sure, but there's no Omega Force logo when the game loads up. I can't remember if it's the same with the first One Piece. Shin Gundam Musou, on Vita at least, also wasn't developed by Omega Force, but that game is actually good, so if it's the same team, at least they got better.

Apparently downloading DW8 on PS4 mostly happens in the background, without it showing up in the Downloads section of the notifications, beyond the first 4 GB. It would be good to know how much longer it takes...

you can check how much you've downloaded on the XMB by pressing Options -> Information.

But beyond the initial download, you will need the whole game before playing any other chapter besides Lu Bu.

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
Samurai Warrior 3 is ridiculously cheap now. Thinking of picking it up, but I already have Chronicles. Is there no point?

If you get SW3, you can't naturally use the online functions anymore. I still got it though and I love it. Murasame Castle can be challenging.

NeonZ

Samurai Warrior 3 is ridiculously cheap now. Thinking of picking it up, but I already have Chronicles. Is there no point?

Well, most stage maps (not the stage flow and objectives) and characters will be shared with Chronicles, aside from the Murasame side of the game. There's Takamaru as an actual new character, but he just has a slightly tweaked generic sword officer moveset (different special and musou) rather than an actual moveset designed around him. The maps have more grunts, but their structure and objectives are generally less interesting than in Chronicles due to lack of officer switching and moral being much less important (I don't think there's even an on screen indicator).

Murasame mode is kind of odd. You'll have very aggressive enemies, which for whatever reason take extra damage from power attacks and little damage from normals. There are also some characters that are unlocked as skins for the character creator, rather than proper standalone characters (Aya, Masanori Fukushima and the normal form of the four castle bosses from Murasame). Also, yeah, there's a character creator, although the number of pieces is limited.

I'm still salty at Z never coming out. I really enjoyed the few stories I did in 3, but I can't stand playing the game on the Wii. It's so slow and plodding. :(

Remeard

So, I have an itch for DW, haven't the series in at least 3 or 4 years so I've missed (apparently) quite a bit.

Should I wait it out and hope for DW8E, go with SW4, or just pick up DW8XL:CE. PS4 by the way.

I'm still salty at Z never coming out. I really enjoyed the few stories I did in 3, but I can't stand playing the game on the Wii. It's so slow and plodding. :(

Heh, I'm currently enjoying 3Z. It's not as slow as I heard from other people and I do like the stories so far.

Great Community Thread! (Informative, too.) I've played very few of these games - but plan on playing both of the upcoming (2014) Warriors titles. Again, awesome thread. Subscribed! ^_^

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
So, I have an itch for DW, haven't the series in at least 3 or 4 years so I've missed (apparently) quite a bit.

Should I wait it out and hope for DW8E, go with SW4, or just pick up DW8XL:CE. PS4 by the way.

Get Warriors Orochi 3 Ultimate a little over a week from now when it comes out. You probably won't need another Warriors title ever again. :lol

Remeard

Get Warriors Orochi 3 Ultimate a little over a week from now when it comes out. You probably won't need another Warriors title ever again. :lol

I might actually end up doing that since Empires is still up in the air for its western release. What is the story mode, and customization/level up typically like? Never played an Orochi ttile

daffy

Banned
Are the add ons for Shin Gundam/Reborn worth purchasing altogether? I kind of just want the Endless Waltz pack for White Reflection. But I'll just get them all if it's worth it, it's not that much more.

Bisonian

As someone who hasn't played a DW game since like the OG xbox, would jumping on that $9.99 DW7 Empires sale be worth it to start to see if I can get back into it? What is the general consensus on that game?

Heh, I'm currently enjoying 3Z. It's not as slow as I heard from other people and I do like the stories so far.
3Z fixed a lot of the issues from the Wii version. That's why I'm so pissed we never got it in English. I want to play THAT version.
Until 4 comes out with all of the new characters from DW8 and SW4.

3Z fixed a lot of the issues from the Wii version. That's why I'm so pissed we never got it in English. I want to play THAT version.

It's pretty enjoyable imported. Missions are straightforward and there's a good guide for the weapon/item abilities and the CAW mode choices or whatever.

Until 4 comes out with all of the new characters from DW8 and SW4.

Well at least that version will probably be the first game that isnt cross-gen, lol

Creaking

He touched the black heart of a mod

Empires most likely will come overseas, I dunno much about Samurai Warriors 4. Complete Edition is great, and I highly recommend it now that it's been patched to proper completion.

I might actually end up doing that since Empires is still up in the air for its western release. What is the story mode, and customization/level up typically like? Never played an Orochi ttile

Story mode is most similar to 7 with a bit of 8's hypothetical stuff mixed in. One long story though. The previous two titles had separate storylines for each "Kingdom". Customization is done mostly through weapon attributes, and you do get a good amount of choice in what you want to stick on any given weapon. Leveling up can be done through regular play, but you also accumulate skill-points which you can spend to level up characters faster. Ultimate also has a color editor for non-DLC costumes, but it's only unlocked once you reach the end of story mode.

Orochi 3 and Dynasty Warriors 8 are different enough that I can recommend both though. 8 has a lot of improved movesets (and one or two that are worse off, unfortunately) and more characters and different gameplay features (two weapons, switch attacks, 3 musou [super] attacks plus a super duper rage musou attack) and it'll do a better job of introducing the Dynasty Warriors story to you than the Orochi series.

It's pretty enjoyable imported. Missions are straightforward and there's a good guide for the weapon/item abilities and the CAW mode choices or whatever.
Yeah, I imported Z. Played it a bit, but would have done so much more if it was in English. The stories in the Samurai Warriors games are my favs in the franchise, and I really liked the few I did in the Wii version.

When I play musou games for pure gameplay it's the Empires games or Orochi games.

NeonZ

As someone who hasn't played a DW game since like the OG xbox, would jumping on that $9.99 DW7 Empires sale be worth it to start to see if I can get back into it? What is the general consensus on that game?

You know what's the Empire games, right? There's no story mode and such, only the mode where you conquer all of China. DW7E allows you to play as a mercenary or officer, not only faction leader, but you always must join a faction that conquers all of China in order to "win". There's also a character creator.

If you know what you're getting into, go for it. If you want a more standard Dynasty Warriors, with story and standard missions, then it's not a good choice.

You know what's the Empire games, right? There's no story mode and such, only the mode where you conquer all of China. DW7 allow you to play as a mercenary or officer, not only faction leader, but you always must join a faction that conquers all of China in order to "win". There's also a character creator.

If you know what you're getting into, go for it. If you want a more standard Dynasty Warriors, with story and standard missions, then it's not a good choice.

yeah, i wouldn't start with an Empires game. Get Orochi 3, Samurai Warriors 4 or Dynasty Warriors 8 XL.

So I'm making the WO3U OT and I'm always terrible with catchy subtitles, so hit me with your best ones!

The only ones I come up with so far are:
Warriors Orochi 3 Ultimate |OT| Sterk, Kasumi & Sophitia Take Over Ancient Asia
Warriors Orochi 3 Ultimate |OT| Releasing Before Capcom Sues For A Game With Cameos
Warriors Orochi 3 Ultimate |OT| Third? Fourth? Times The Charm

Ok, I'm out of ideas afterwards

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Warriors Orochi 3 Ultimate |OT| Still a Better Use of Ryu Hayabusa Than Ninja Gaiden
Warriors Orochi 3 Ultimate |OT| The Ultimate Musou Game
Warriors Orochi 3 Ultimate |OT| Because a Soul Calibur IV Crossover Makes Perfect Sense
Warriors Orochi 3 Ultimate |OT| What Kind of Name Is Sterkenberg Cranach Anyway?
Warriors Orochi 3 Ultimate |OT| Who's In The Game? everyone.gif
Warriors Orochi 3 Ultimate |OT| With NEW Hat!

That's all I've got for now.

alexein

I've got a question , is it normal than on ps4, on the game menu before launching the game i dont see any of the dlc i got for the game, japanese voice or preorder costume.
When i go to the ps store i see that i have 9 elements but i cant download them from my library, i can only do it from the website by downloading to my ps4 in my download list.
I've got ac 4 goty edition and all dlc appears on the game tab and tell me what i own and which one is installed.

deadfolk

So I picked up DW8 for PS4 in the recent sale. Last night I played through the tutorial and the first two Lu Bu missions, failing the second when the dude I was supposed to be protecting got un-protected to death.

Good fun, but there's just soooooo much stuff here for a series noob! Are there any decent guides out there? There's no manual as far as I can tell, so I'm just looking for a getting started guide - not something that will tell me how to win and get the plat.

NZerker12

So I picked up DW8 for PS4 in the recent sale. Last night I played through the tutorial and the first two Lu Bu missions, failing the second when the dude I was supposed to be protecting got un-protected to death.

Good fun, but there's just soooooo much stuff here for a series noob! Are there any decent guides out there? There's no manual as far as I can tell, so I'm just looking for a getting started guide - not something that will tell me how to win and get the plat.

These guys have a really good guide which covers most of the game.

http://feoh.wikidot.com/guide:dw8

esterk

So just found out warriors orochi 3 ultimate is out Tuesday...anyone know if it's any good? I really love the crossover series, but it's a little hit or miss at times.

So just found out warriors orochi 3 ultimate is out Tuesday...anyone know if it's any good? I really love the crossover series, but it's a little hit or miss at times.

I concur, WO3 was fantastic, with the sole exception of the online co-op. Music is awesome, fun DLC (even if there's tons) All the characters are lots of fun and the story mode was awesome.

Top Bottom