• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What are you reading? (March 2011)

Finished:

The Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfuss

At the risk of getting the Gaf-wrath, I thought it was only okay. I have to agree with the other poster about Kvothe being a Mary Sue. He never was in any real danger thanks to the framing device of the book, but really, can that guy do no wrong? I also thought that Denna was a pointless attempt at a femme fetale. I wish there was more explanation about her. I found Kvothe's feelings for her a bit artificial or forced.

The setup of the world and the magic system was so good. I just wish the story had more meat using the magic system. It seemed more like a bildungsroman than a fantasy novel. I guess it's definitely a change from the usual *epic* fantasy, but it didn't really wow me.

eznark

Banned
Playing Shogun 2 has inspired me to learn more about the time period. I know GAF is full of Japan fetishists. Any good non-fiction of that time period?

charsace

nakedsushi said:
Finished:

At the risk of getting the Gaf-wrath, I thought it was only okay. I have to agree with the other poster about Kvothe being a Mary Sue. He never was in any real danger thanks to the framing device of the book, but really, can that guy do no wrong? I also thought that Denna was a pointless attempt at a femme fetale. I wish there was more explanation about her. I found Kvothe's feelings for her a bit artificial or forced.

The setup of the world and the magic system was so good. I just wish the story had more meat using the magic system. It seemed more like a bildungsroman than a fantasy novel. I guess it's definitely a change from the usual *epic* fantasy, but it didn't really wow me.
Read the second one to get a better understanding of Denna. Kvothe is less of a mary sue in the second book.

eznark

Banned
charsace said:
Read the second one to get a better understanding of Denna. Kvothe is less of a mary sue in the second book.

until the last third, where he can do no wrong. Kill a dozen cold blooded murderers, sex every chick in the university (but still be bashful about holding Denna's hand), make money hand over fist without trying, improve the lives of urchins and just happen to be in a tavern his love stumbles into ready to save her life
ultimate mary sue

eznark said:
until the last third, where he can do no wrong. Kill a dozen cold blooded murderers, sex every chick in the university (but still be bashful about holding Denna's hand), make money hand over fist without trying, improve the lives of urchins and just happen to be in a tavern his love stumbles into ready to save her life
ultimate mary sue

I wasn't planning on reading the 2nd book so I read your spoiler. Yeah, pretty much what I was expecting. Thanks for saving me the time of reading it =D

finowns

charsace said:

Denna seemed even more silly to me in the second book.

eznark

Banned
nakedsushi said:
I wasn't planning on reading the 2nd book so I read your spoiler. Yeah, pretty much what I was expecting. Thanks for saving me the time of reading it =D

The thing is, except for that first part I gave about as much detail as Rothfuss did.

anyone else think the Maer's wife is Kvothe's aunt? I was sort of thinking that while reading the book then I read a review on GoodReads that totally fleshes out the theory.

mannerbot

eznark said:
The thing is, except for that first part I gave about as much detail as Rothfuss did.

anyone else think the Maer's wife is Kvothe's aunt? I was sort of thinking that while reading the book then I read a review on GoodReads that totally fleshes out the theory.

Yes, I'm certain that's the case. Don't feel like citing anything as the topic's been discussed ad nauseam on Goodreads, but you can check out the threads there if you have any doubts.

nakedsushi said:
Finished:

You know, reading just the first one, I'd be somewhat inclined to say that a lot of those hamfisted bog-standard Mary Sue trappings were intentional. Rothfuss seems like enough of a nerd to know what he's doing, so he injects Kvothe with some familiar aspects of your stereotypical Mary Sue/fanfiction author. He's socially retarded, especially with women. He's naturally gifted academically, but lacks any common sense. He feels constantly ostracized and culturally persecuted. He seemed a somewhat Swiftian parody of an author avatar.

But having read the second book, and especially
the explosion of ridiculousness in the tail end of it
, I kind of wonder if that was ever really the case.

I dunno. Dude writes good prose in any case. I'll probably be on board for the third go 'round just on principle.

stranger.jpg

Pretty interesting so far. It's a very short read but provides a very compact and tight narrative.

Pikelet

nakedsushi said:
Finished:

I liked it a bit better than you did it seems, but Kvothe certainly had a few faults, though they mostly stem from his impatience.

The magic system is neat and the novel is punctuated with moments of great writing, but i agree that the world-building is kind of lacking.

I'm keen to check out the next one...

Pikelet said:
The magic system is neat and the novel is punctuated with moments of great writing, but i agree that the world-building is kind of lacking.

Well, I thought the world-building was great and the magic system got me really excited for the book. But then, he didn't really take those to their full potential. In that way, it was a letdown.

I guess I was expecting at least one type of Mistborn-type crazy magic system fight.

Spoiler about some animal he fights in Name of the Wind:

Even the fight with the draccus was disappointing, since in the end, even though he used sympathy to kill it, it was like dropping an anvil on Wiley Coyote. Just kind of cartoonish.

Salazar

eznark said:
Playing Shogun 2 has inspired me to learn more about the time period. I know GAF is full of Japan fetishists. Any good non-fiction of that time period?

Inventing Japan, 1854-1964, by Ian Buruma, is superb. I realise that its coverage begins pretty close to the Meiji restoration, but it does look back at the shogunate with great style and perceptiveness.

A bunch of people think Buruma is a dick, but this is a great book.

foodtaster said:
What are some good books under 100 pages?

Only a couple of pages of you requirement, but everyone should read this novel!

41tw6wCXtjL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg

eznark said:

I also want to know this, Shogun 2
and Samurai Warriors
makes me really want to learn about about Feudal Japan. Please help!

charsace

eznark said:
ultimate mary sue
the last third never happened!

Denna is a bitch IMO.

Gorgon

foodtaster said:

call-of-duty-black-ops-official-strategy-game-guide-7830f.jpg

just pulling your leg ;p

Anyway, just finished the first two Harry Potter books and, as I've said before, they're actually a little better than I was expecting. Maybe I'll read the rest eventually just for kicks.

I'm now starting Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell. So far so good, but I'm still in the beginning. I'm waiting for Lyndon Hardy's Master of the Five Magics to arrive in the mail and I'll probably make a pause to read that one and then go back to JS&MN again.

foodtaster said:

Under:
Herman Melville, Bartleby the Scrivener.
Thomas Mann, Death in Venice, probably the most formally perfect short novel I know. I've never read anything else that creates such an atmosphere of death and decay.
Kafka, The Metamorphosis, but surely everyone has read this one already.
Victor Pelevin, The Yellow Arrow, not a famous classic like the ones above but a very good post-Soviet satire.

slightly over at 112 pages:
Dostoevsky, Notes from the Underground, by far both the shortest of his great late works and the greatest of his short works.

somewhat further over and one of them totally different:
H. P. Lovecraft, At the Mountains of Madness, one of his best and most substantial works.
George Orwell, Animal Farm, needs no recommendation.

Also, you should consider getting a short story collection. I'd recommend getting a collection of stories by Poe, Gogol or Borges.

Also see:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_novellas

Jarlaxle

Gorgon said:
I'm now starting Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell. So far so good, but I'm still in the beginning.

That book starts out pretty slow I'd say for the first 200-250 pages or so but ramps up and at the end I couldn't put the book down. If you're already enjoying it, you're in for a treat then. Some of the best parts in in the footnotes.

I'd love to read more about Jonathan Strange. Anyone know if she plans on writing a follow-up at all? I know she has written something similar, I wanted to know if there would eventually be a direct sequel or not.

Gorgon

Jarlaxle said:
That book starts out pretty slow I'd say for the first 200-250 pages or so but ramps up and at the end I couldn't put the book down. If you're already enjoying it, you're in for a treat then. Some of the best parts in in the footnotes.

I'd love to read more about Jonathan Strange. Anyone know if she plans on writing a follow-up at all? I know she has written something similar, I wanted to know if there would eventually be a direct sequel or not.

Yes, she's writting a sequel, set a couple of decades or so later in the Victorian period too. I hope it doesn't take another 10 years to finish it.

aristotle

This month I've finished:
186074.jpg

6566722.jpg

7776678.jpg

Name of the Wind was good. I'm eagerly awaiting the second book to arrive at my house. I don't dislike it like some of the posters before me. I understand their reasoning though.

I love Castle. The books where just an extension of the TV show itself. I enjoyed them.

Mgoblue201

Won't stop picking the right nation
I mean to buy The Great Stagnation soon; I have read so much about it that I almost feel as if I am familiar with its arguments. It feels like one of those books that everybody should be aware of.

I would recommend the novella Heart of Darkness. I am not sure of its page count, but it shouldn't take very long to read through.

Jamieee

Neo Member
51l%2BUt2EO%2BL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_OU02_.jpg

Only 300 pages in and loving it so far. I wish it worked more on building the world and also characters though,
it seems like Vin has just become a bit too good too quickly.

Awesome cover too!

Trying to get it over with quickly so I can read The Wise Man's Fear.

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
HarryHengst said:

I'm thinking of ordering that one and David Benatar's Better Never to Have Been: The Harm of Coming into Existence off Amazon. Looks interesting.

Brettison said:
Hmm I need to look into this.

It's a nice little book, but if you already own Smoke & Mirrors and/or Fragile Things, you probably have most of the stories in M is for Magic already. Anyway, I'm starting this now:

125755.jpg

Yeah, there's a short story by Gaiman in it

Jarlaxle said:

Echoing this. The first 200-250 pages are boring as all fuck, but then it goes off and becomes awesome.

The Judge said:
Just finished:
http://trashotron.com/agony/images/2003/03-columns/01-27-03/danielewski-house_of_leaves.jpg[IMG]

What a ride! So weird and interesting. Might even call it perspective-changer.
[/QUOTE]

Oh tits, I've completely forgotten that I bought House of Leaves last year. I should really read it.

The Judge

Just finished:
danielewski-house_of_leaves.jpg

What a ride! So weird and interesting. Might even call it perspective-changer.

Now I'm debating whether I start Gravity's Rainbow for the first time or start a reread of A Song of Ice and Fire for the 5th book. Decisions decisions...

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
Finished

61886.jpg

61901.jpg

@ Curse of chalion - Wow, bujold does a amazing job of writing likable characters and making you fully invested in their fates. The ending was very well-earned at that to, satisfying stuff. And Cazaril is definitely one of the most likable protagonists I've seen in a fantasy story.

Diplomatic immunity was fairly middle-of-the-road in terms of quality for vorkosigan - while it kept me hooked from page 1, it didn't have many stand-out moments.

Now Reading

7841670.jpg

Only managed to read about 30 pages of it so far. Pretty sad that I'll have no more vorkosigan to read after this.;_;

Lafiel said:
*text*

7841670.jpg

Only managed to read about 30 pages of it so far. Pretty sad that I'll have no more vorkosigan to read after this.;_;

I've downloaded al of the Vorkosigan books from the publisher's web site but where do I start from? Is there a recommended order?

Dresden

Lafiel said:
I think she's coming out with a book focused on Ivan soon.

Celery&Lager said:
I've downloaded al of the Vorkosigan books from the publisher's web site but where do I start from? Is there a recommended order?
Just start with Shards of Honor.

mike23

Finished

mAklC.jpg

Was pretty good, but I feel like there could have been more action and at times it felt a little drawn out.

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
Combichristoffersen said:
Interesting how they put the invisible guy's face on the edge of the tree. May be a little hard to make out that there's supposed to be a guy there otherwise, but at the same time you miss (at first, anyway) that the tree bark is horribly unnaturally shaped there.

I'm a military junkie and I love my WW2 books

51GXu9dLImL._SS500_.jpg

Femme Fatale: Love, Lies and The Unknown Life of Mata Hari
by Pat Shipman

158449-L.jpg

The Deceivers : Allied Military Deception in The Second World War
by Thaddeus Holt

5105TBJ3MBL._SS500_.jpg

Taqwacore
by Michael Muhammad Knight

This book is really interesting. Most literary Muslim characters are kinda stereotypical but the characters in this book are "unique"

51B25DQF6NL._SS500_.jpg

Orwell: The Observer Years

Narag

Monroeski said:
Interesting how they put the invisible guy's face on the edge of the tree. May be a little hard to make out that there's supposed to be a guy there otherwise, but at the same time you miss (at first, anyway) that the tree bark is horribly unnaturally shaped there.

Thinking it was just a stylistic choice since the hand is clearly visible.

I was in the mood for some light reading so I started this yesterday and finished it this morning:

Halfway to the Grave by Jeaniene Frost

It was exactly what I was in the mood for. The plot is cliched and very Buffy The Vampire Slayer, but the dialogue was decent and got a chuckle or two out of me. Not exactly high-brow literature, but a nice palette cleanser before I dive into some deeper books and reach some epiphanies.

mike23

TestMonkey said:
hard_days_knight.jpg

Nice light reading after the 960 page Lonesome Dove. Not sure what I'm gonna start up next. Gardens of the Moon or Wise Man's Fear maybe.

Powering through this series now because that cover looked cool plus the description on Goodreads sounded good.

Done with

UxoYv.jpg
2JZJx.jpg

and 25% through

shRJO.jpg

They're pretty interesting and I like how I can easily read through an entire book in 3 hours.

Forsete

The Devil in the White City - by Erik Larson
DWCity.jpg

Bringing Chicago circa 1893 to vivid life, "The Devil In the White City" intertwines the true tale of two men - Daniel H. Burnham, the brilliant architect behind the legendary 1893 World's Fair, striving to secure America's place in the world; and Dr. H.H. Holmes, the cunning serial killer who used the fair to lure his victims to their death in his elaborately constructed "Murder Castle."

KidDork

Jarlaxle said:
The+Darkness+That+Comes+Before.jpg

Just started this tonight. Very early into it but it seems really interesting. Seems to be a slower read initially which is not a bad thing, just writing that demands more attention and thought to it.

Bakker actually writes in a cafe about three blocks from my house. I haven't had the nerve to go over and be a fanboy, but he is there most days, staring at his laptop.

As for me, I just finished this:

Hater.jpg

I thought it was a very effective horror novel, and with the upcoming film, it seems like the perfect story to be told through jerky digital hand cameras. Moody does a good job of imagining a world where our fears and paranoia are taken as far as they can go. It's unrelentingly bleak and violent, unsurprisingly. I'm interested in where he will take the story in the next book of this planned trilogy.

To completely cleanse my palate, I'm going back to Murakami's The Wind-Up Bird Chronicles tonight.

I finally finished The Gripping Hand. Much better than I expected based on reviews. Not as exciting as The Mote in God's Eye, but it would be hard to match the excitement of first contact.

I doubt it will ever happen, but I'd love to see another book in this "Motie series" by the original authors. Niven and Pournelle are two talented guys.

I guess I'll be working on Lord of Light now, which I'm really enjoying so far. It's been too long since I read any science fiction.

Top Bottom