• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What you don't like about "Souls-like combat"?

What you don't like from "Souls" combat?

• It's too slow

Votes: 45 24.7%
  • It's too clunky

Votes: 67 36.8%
  • It's too repetitive

Votes: 54 29.7%
  • Relies on stamina bar

Votes: 43 23.6%
  • Bad camera

Votes: 51 28.0%
  • Poor offering of combat options

Votes: 28 15.4%
  • Too focused on single enemy lock-on

Votes: 44 24.2%
  • Too unbalanced

Votes: 29 15.9%
  • Ranged combat options not appealing

Votes: 50 27.5%
  • It's the same if you're fighting a rat or a giant Dragon

Votes: 46 25.3%
  • Other (specify in comments)

Votes: 35 19.2%

• Total voters

.Pennywise

This is a poll only for those that don't like Souls-like combat, don't find it appealing, fair or entertaining.

As someone who is quite critical about "Souls-like combat", I'd like to know what others feel about it when not liking it.

As for myself, I find it way too clunky and the camera is something I find to be absurdly bad when taking on several enemies or flying enemies or speedy enemies or big bosses.

Arachnid

It's too perfect of a system and it ruined other action games for me. Can't enjoy stuff like Bayonetta and DMC anymore.

ab67616d0000b27351724183936a65f45446fb45

EDIT: Holy shit @ the quick wizard above^^^

Last edited:
I voted other. For me the problem is that each game has to do something new to justify itself. Instead of just being better and more streamlined. Bloodborne and Dark Souls 2 are what I meant by that. I loved them, but would prefer not to have to relearn things when they work. Demon's souls to Dark souls was better in my opinion. And it get harder each time because From know that we will cheese all encouters and made boss to punish those attempts . Boss like Sif in Dark Souls 1, who can be beaten first try by anyone, seems to not exist in later titles.
Disclaimer: Bloodborne is the game that made me buy a PS4 and is a masterpiece. My complaint is not about the game itself, it is just an example of what I am complaining about.

cireza

Pretty great poll choices, well done.

I played pretty much all of these games and I am simply not blind to the limitations of the combat mechanics. I always found the lock on wasn't that great either. Also the combat system is really made for 1 on 1, so it becomes pretty annoying when the games throw at you 3+ enemies at once to raise the difficulty. It just doesn't work that well.

Last edited:
I'm close to entirely dismissing Souls games, in part because of my dissatisfaction with it's combat. The only sliver of hope for me enjoying Souls is if I get that magical "it clicked with me!" moment which hasn't happened yet

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
I'd love if combat and overall movement had more weight, and hitting an enemy had more feedback. That, and the awful camera.

Aside from that I think it's a good system.

Last edited:

Supple

Nothing. I don't like the "soulslike" meme genre that came from it though. Whenever I play a game that is labeled "soulslike" I never once think back to the Dark Souls games because none of them play like Dark Souls.

Last edited:

T4keD0wN

Shocked how well split the votes are, good job with the options op.
I usually like souls games despite disliking the combat itself, the only ones where i liked the combat was sekiro and fallen order. Might have something to do with them not being RPGs.
The thing i dislike the most by far is the existence of stamina, i find waiting for a bar to replenish boring. It feels like waiting for a loading screen lol. I absolutely love the "posture" though.

Last edited:

Sentenza

They just have to join the current century in terms of support past 60 fps and then me and From Software are golden, as far as I'm concerned.

YukiOnna

Group fights can really be a weak point and not in a good way. I think Elden Ring did a good job in creating techniques to help with dealing with multiple enemies for every class.
I'd love if combat and overall movement had more weight, and hitting an enemy had more feedback. That, and the awful camera.

Aside from that I think it's a good system.
While I don't think Sekiro would fall under the Dark Souls-Elden Ring category of combat, that was definitely one of the best parts about it. Hits felt like they had a lot of weight and the response was precise.

SafeOrAlone

Banned
Sometimes it doesn’t feel that intuitive to sort and use items in combat but I don’t really have any suggestions to make it better.

Other than that I think it’s great. I mean, you can always strive to be at the level of Ninja Gaiden but no one expects that.

Inspector Q

These are some of the best games around, but if I had to choose one thing that always kinds of irks me then it's the lack of variation in melee attack combos. Using different combinations of light and heavy attacks should give us some more unique animations. You could use these animations to further differentiate one particular weapon from it's counterparts.

Taking Elden Ring as an example, so many times I would find a new weapon and try it out only to be somewhat disappointed in how basic all the attacks looked. The main thing differentiating the weapons were the Weapon Arts, but the actual Light/Heavy attacks were all fairly basic.

Of course, there are so many damn weapons in Elden Ring that it would probably be a bit of a task to give each one entirely unique combo based movesets, so....yeah.

simpatico

I'm close to entirely dismissing Souls games, in part because of my dissatisfaction with it's combat. The only sliver of hope for me enjoying Souls is if I get that magical "it clicked with me!" moment which hasn't happened yet
Just to inject some creativity to how you're playing. I played very slow and stiff at first too. Have some fun and see what you can do within the system. There's a lot of subtle depth that you won't access unless you really try to do some cool stuff. It's worth putting in the reps. Very gratifying.

I'm slow to get anything done. Means I'm stuck in the same area with the same enemy over and over.
I like to move through levels. If I wanted to be stuck in the same area I might as well play the orginal Pac-Man.
Same Maze, Same monster, different high score.

Wildebeest

I enjoyed the 3 dark souls games, but I don't love boss fights in how the real enemy is often the camera and the action is a QTE sequence without prompts on screen and increasingly unforgiving timings.

Last edited:
Just to inject some creativity to how you're playing. I played very slow and stiff at first too. Have some fun and see what you can do within the system. There's a lot of subtle depth that you won't access unless you really try to do some cool stuff. It's worth putting in the reps. Very gratifying.
Thanks for the encouragement! Do you have a first Souls to recommend for beginners? I have Bloodborne, Sekiro, DS1 original and remastered

I am honestly confused by others saying that action genre is not as good for them after souls. I actually find souls games very limiting after playing something like Ninja Gaiden. In souls games, the basic movement is slow and very limited relative to terrain. The souls games cannot even get the momentum of jumps and dodging right (excluding Bloodborne). The attacks are very basic with little variation (excluding Bloodborne). Worst of all the player character has the stamina of a retiree with how often they needs to catch their breath. Also, the whole losing your experience if you die twice without picking it back up is dumb as is the autosave system that makes it so that you need to replay the whole game to experience the good stuff again (excluding Dark Souls 2). A better checkpoint/save system and keeping your experience would just simplify the whole loop with less down time. Also, never understood the rarity of drops being so low in any game, but that is hardly unique.

With that said, I like to play with the truckload of weapons and magic spells the games provide and find parts of the crafted medieval fantasy adventure to be stimulating and some environments breath taking. I even enjoy how many enemies are so lax in the middle of a fight and do not swarm like many action games.

Thanks for the encouragement! Do you have a first Souls to recommend for beginners? I have Bloodborne, Sekiro, DS1 original and remastered
If you want variation in gameplay and like to play aggressively I recommend Bloodborne. If you like stealth and defensive rhythm games I recommend Sekiro. If you want to just explore and abuse archaic A.I. design and overpowered weapon/magic combinations I recommend Remastered. There is really no reason to play the original.

Last edited:

bbeach123

Lack of skills/ability on hotkey .

skills/ability/spell using mana , and you HAD to drink mana potion , who tf does that in action game .

Last edited:
Top Bottom