• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What you don't like about "Souls-like combat"?

What you don't like from "Souls" combat?

• It's too slow

Votes: 45 24.7%
  • It's too clunky

Votes: 67 36.8%
  • It's too repetitive

Votes: 54 29.7%
  • Relies on stamina bar

Votes: 43 23.6%
  • Bad camera

Votes: 51 28.0%
  • Poor offering of combat options

Votes: 28 15.4%
  • Too focused on single enemy lock-on

Votes: 44 24.2%
  • Too unbalanced

Votes: 29 15.9%
  • Ranged combat options not appealing

Votes: 50 27.5%
  • It's the same if you're fighting a rat or a giant Dragon

Votes: 46 25.3%
  • Other (specify in comments)

Votes: 35 19.2%

• Total voters

rodrigolfp

Gamepads 4 Life
Voted everything but the bad camera. Camera is ok. And at least lame ass lock on for baddies is optional...

Last edited:

kyussman

I've only played Dark Souls,Bloodborne and Dark Souls III but I enjoyed the combat in all of them.....can't say I had any real issues.I'm over these types of games at this point but I'm glad they are having so much success in a world of shitty open world trash and GAAS nonsense.

.Pennywise

I don't like when they hit me through walls lol
Ghost.jpg

oji-san

I'm bad at them, the combat is just too difficult to me, and then there's no checkpoint system or manual saving, so the whole level again. Tried Wo Long and can't enjoy anything about it, even the none stoppable menus annoys me, gave a fair share of Souls game a try and never could get anywhere far then 1-2 hours, will buy Elden Ring when it's 10 buck just to say myself i tried.

I just want a souls combat game that’s more like ghost of Tsushima in its structure. None of those leveling stats. Not losing stuff and going to get it back. Etc. A normal mission and side mission open world game with souls combat.

I checked the 4 that felt the most true:

-The unbalanced nature of the games is a gift and a curse. If you happen to spec right, you're having a blast and you are experiencing the best version of the game. For that person, it's a 10/10 experience. If you spec wrong however, you have to then either try and power through it with a +15 worthless weapon, or grind to get the materials to +15 a weapon from the wiki list that everyone else deemed as the best ones to have.

-The bad camera is mostly true and is a key problem of the genre. There are still very few 3D soulslikes that fully fix this problem and one of the few that do is a third person shooter(Remnant: From the Ashes), but it has the benefit of being a shooter.

-Speaking of Remnant, it's also one of the few games that managed to get ranged combat right, but that's due to the enemy AI behavior that will flank you, shoot back, and have swarms that rush you down if needed. This type of design can't work in other souls games, so at this point I think that the ranged combat is built poorly in other soulslikes, because the devs don't want to bother trying to balance around that and they don't want their own experience to be too easy either.

Bloodborne is a top 3 all time game for me, but even I can admit that the guns(especially the longer barrel ones) not having a range of more than a few feet in front of you, was very silly to look at. Somehow, for that game, it just works 🤷‍♂️

It's nice for 1vs1 fights.

The more enemies you add, the worse the combat gets.

Something like Dragon's Dogma combat is more appropriate for lots of enemies (also big enemies) at the same time.
Finally, this is also true. The best usual option for 1v3 fights in soulslikes is to run backwards into the most hallway-esque room so that the enemies can line up, which is essentially finding a way to cheese a system that is inherently flawed. Also in the case of a dual boss fight, you're hoping and praying that the big guy to your right side that's off camera, isn't charging up some one hit kill animation while you're busy fighting the speedy guy.

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
Bad camera in enclosed spaces, limited by stamina/MP when enemies/bosses don't have this problem, stiff methodical combat for every fight, ridiculous hitboxes, would rather play the game rather then Soul grind to get stronger.

begotten

Soulsborne games remind me of why I like Mega Man games.

You know what game-play loop you're getting with the traversal, small iterations and boss re-skins - so the games are fun, familiar & cozy.

There's nothing I love or hate about the games tho' apart from the "hardcore" fans who exaggerate the difficulty and story-telling.

Sethbacca

I feel more like I'm fighting the control scheme than the enemies. That's about 99% of the reason why I dislike Souls games.

MikeM

Other for me.

Demon Souls doesn’t seem to have checkpoints. As someone with finite gaming time, the idea of slogging through an entire level again at death is not appealing in the slightest.

Could also be that there is a check point system and I had no idea how it worked or even existed.

ungalo

What i don't like is more about the influence it has on both action and RPG genres, rather than the combat itself. I think it has all the stigmas of modern gaming where a game must be everything all at once. I think because of that now every RPG must be an action game and every action game must be an RPG.

And if we talk about the Souls game themselves, i guess that's both the best and the worst quality they have.

Labolas

Appreciate the series and the genre, and Fromsoft deserves all the praise they get but I'm not a fan of how every thing feels so slow and clunky. I think Team Ninja has done a better job with the genre imo.

Paltheos

Wonky hit/hurtboxes and uneven difficulty curves and unfun game mechanics.

The first is especially apparent in grabs in this series. Dark Souls 2 is pretty famous for this I think in terms of size, and DS3 has some 1-frame "I turned 180 degrees instantly fuck you" grabs too. Hitboxes for regular attacks being inconsistent is a problem throughout the series though. Watchdog of the Old Lords from Bloodborne has a swift lunge-bite that hasn't seemed entirely consistent to me (based on my own experience and moreso from side-side video footage from others I've seen).

Uneven difficulty curves and unfun game mechanics mostly relates to bosses and Elden Ring's probably the worst in this regard. Some bosses' startups on attacks are so fast they push the limits of human reaction speed (Godrick's tornado spin) and - the shit that really grinds my gears - button-prompt reactions from bosses that only sometimes go off and where guessing wrong as to how the boss acts next can land you in serious trouble. Margit, the very first boss of the game, has some followups that he only uses if you're attacking him during his string but he doesn't *always* use it, and if you choose to dodge and he doesn't use the FU, he'll have enough time to start his next attack string and probably hit you as you're recovering. Or maybe I just suck. I'd played all these games though and none of the first bosses had pissed me off like he did (I'd grinded for him too!)

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
I think parrying feels great, but at my old age it’s just hard to pull off at times.

They should have an old man mode.

kevm3

Souls is the only series that I like 'souls-like' combat in. Other games that try to mimic it make the games slow, clunky and they don't really seem to get the difficulty right, so it's just frustrating and not fun. Tunic is one such example where I hated the 'souls' inspiration. Beautiful game, but the combat made me stop playing.

Raven117

Hit boxes, and sometimes that silly pause in some attacks from enemies where it just becomes trial and error to time it properly.

GymWolf

The one thing this thread proves is not enough people have played Bloodborne.
All the thinsg i said apply to bb aswell, hell bb could be one of the very worse when it comes to shitty camera and absurd weapons compenentrations, you literally don't have to go further than the first 2 bosses to test that.

First boss is a nightmare when he is close to you on that fucking small bridge and you can see a zoom of his hairy bulge in your face, and gascoigne hits you (and you hit him) throught fucking trees and tombstones (except the famous spot where you can cheese him)

Maybe you were talking about other people but some flaws are present in every from soft game.

Last edited:

Antwix

I don't like when they hit me through walls lol
This is probably the only thing I dislike (aside from the camera sometimes on bigger bosses). The fact that an enemy can swing some huge ass scythe/axe/sword in a tight corridor while you clang and bounce off the walls is infuriating haha

spawn

I really like the combat in Fromsoft titles and in Nioh. I really disliked Lords of the Fallen for bad camera and too clunky so I voted for that.

Drizzlehell

Weird hit detection and some enemy attacks sort of homing in on you when you dodge just a couple of frames of animation too late. Feels so fucking cheap. I think it was mostly a problem with Dark Souls 2.

I’m not going to vote because none of those things bother me, what does though is enemies can clip through walls and shit and hit you in Souls games.

Last edited:
Every option in this poll is a valid criticism and should be improved in future games.

I experience each of these issues every now and then, but thankfully not often enough to make me dislike the combat overall.

It would be nice if blocking attacks was more viable against bosses, when you put up your shield most of the time the boss' attack depletes all of your stamina, leaving you open. So you have to dodge everything.

Nickolaidas

-The unbalanced nature of the games is a gift and a curse. If you happen to spec right, you're having a blast and you are experiencing the best version of the game. For that person, it's a 10/10 experience. If you spec wrong however, you have to then either try and power through it with a +15 worthless weapon, or grind to get the materials to +15 a weapon from the wiki list that everyone else deemed as the best ones to have.
There are literally people who kill the Fume Knight in DS II when they are level one. ONE.

It's all about being good in those games.

wolffy71

I'm just so over rolling/dodging. It feels like I've done it a billion times. Idk how you replace it but I've just had enough.

Last edited:

Mossybrew

Never have been and never will be a fan of the stamina meter, so I picked that. Worse than the combat though is the way these games punish death - tedious trips back to try to reclaim your corpse with all enemies respawned, don't care for it one bit.

There are literally people who kill the Fume Knight in DS II when they are level one. ONE.

Souls fans say this often, but it is simply not a good rebuttal. The issue here is that I'm discussing averages. The average person playing souls games simply won't be good enough to solo a boss as a level one with a beginner sword while their character is in underwear. That is reserved for people with insane memorization, speedrunners, and sweatlords. The rest who are just good enough to beat the game, have a higher likelihood to experience what I've discussed.

Considering this, my point still stands.

Nickolaidas

Souls fans say this often, but it is simply not a good rebuttal. The issue here is that I'm discussing averages. The average person playing souls games simply won't be good enough to solo a boss as a level one with a beginner sword while their character is in underwear. That is reserved for people with insane memorization, speedrunners, and sweatlords. The rest who are just good enough to beat the game, have a higher likelihood to experience what I've discussed.

Considering this, my point still stands.
I get what you're saying, but I think the average person can't play Souls games *well*, period. They're hard games and demand concentration, fast reflexes and strategy. Most average gamers have all the above dilluted due to hand-holding, health regen after five seconds, respawn points taking them five seconds before they died, etc.

If FROM wanted to make a game that asks more of the player, that doesn't make the gameplay lacking.

That said, single player offline mode not having a pause button is totally unnecessary, imo

Sgt.Asher

Enemy grabs: hit detection always seems wonky, the animations lasts way to long, and there is no way to break it once grabbed. Sekiro did it best with the warning sign, and the attacks were quick.

Rhazkul

It gets very repetitive if you focus on a single weapon for a playthrough (which is the only optimal way, you will otherwise hit a brickwall if you don't focus on a single stat+weapon). Combat boils down to: dodge/parry, Light Attack, Light Attack, dodge, Heavy Attack....for 30 hours or so. Yawn. And Magic-type builds suck ass in Dark Souls & Co simply because lack of AoE.

Last edited:

Shubh_C63

great poll.

Repetitive and no difference between rat and a dragon.
Even though I know the mechanics the cat and mouse nature takes too much time for even low tier enemies. Also game is way too punishing. Bloodborne had the perfect balance.

lyan

People always find ways to finish games in unintended ways, this doesn't imply anything lol.
With enough research you can even beat a lot of turn based rpgs without any leveling while many will rant about grinding in those games, it's about the general experience.

Crayon

Okay that's only for people who don't like it so I won't vote but I would say stamina bar. It's just so simple. It's intuitive but there's nothing to it.

I get what you're saying, but I think the average person can't play Souls games *well*, period. They're hard games and demand concentration, fast reflexes and strategy. Most average gamers have all the above dilluted due to hand-holding, health regen after five seconds, respawn points taking them five seconds before they died, etc.

If FROM wanted to make a game that asks more of the player, that doesn't make the gameplay lacking.
What you’re discussing and what I’m discussing are becoming two different things. Your post is implying that I’m approaching this from the general angle of “souls games are too difficult” but that’s not what I’m discussing at all.

I’m talking about two specific issues:

1)Being soft-locked into a set of weapons, stat builds, or armor deemed as “the best for end game” as an average souls player.

There are certain bosses which become monumentally harder if these players haven’t specced correctly and end up with mediocre weapons and mediocre armor in terms of stats and ability late game(such as if they can’t stagger or handle stagger, or cause/deny bleeding, poison, etc). It is a light funnel that exists, and we should stop pretending it doesn’t just because a select few can beat the games without it.

2)The game forcing you down certain builds, as an average souls player, by having the same enemy types and bosses suddenly hit for 3x to 5x damage late game(mainly an Elden Ring and DS2 issue), instead of continuing an exponential ramp, creating more unique moments, and making the combat scenarios themselves more creative instead of just the environments.

Fighting a dragon who can kill you in 3-5 hits earlier in the game and then suddenly fighting the same model/type of dragon later on who now kills you in 1 hit doesn’t make you suddenly appreciate the game more because this is a new engaging moment. Instead, it just means that the numbers for that mob were annoyingly cranked up to the point where you either have to A) Grind B) Make zero mistakes or C) Find a way to cheese. This isn’t balancing, yet it keeps being excused.

Asking more from a player should be making creative combat situations that the player has to navigate around, not cranking up damage numbers to the point where they hit a wall and have no choice but to be very selective about their builds.

In ANY other game you guys would drag it through the coals for doing this, and even as a souls fan I can see this as a glaring flaw, and yet a lot of the rest of you cannot or will not allow yourself to see this type of flaw, and instead will defend it to death because of some benign fear of it being taken away in the future because of complaints. Now that it is solidified that Souls isn’t going away anytime soon and From Software is Namco’s new golden child multimillion seller, I think it’s fine to point out these flaws as fans.

There is a reason why people consider Bloodborne and Sekiro as superior games. Honestly, I agree with them. They are more balanced, more creative, and are more memorable experiences due to those creative factors and more. Again, Elden Ring would have literally beaten Bloodborne for me in personal ranking if it wasn’t for the last 20% of the game being such a drag(by last 20% I mean the two snow areas and much of what is after).

Nickolaidas

What you’re discussing and what I’m discussing are becoming two different things. Your post is implying that I’m approaching this from the general angle of “souls games are too difficult” but that’s not what I’m discussing at all.

I’m talking about two specific issues:

1)Being soft-locked into a set of weapons, stat builds, or armor deemed as “the best for end game” as an average souls player.

There are certain bosses which become monumentally harder if these players haven’t specced correctly and end up with mediocre weapons and mediocre armor in terms of stats and ability late game(such as if they can’t stagger or handle stagger, or cause/deny bleeding, poison, etc). It is a light funnel that exists, and we should stop pretending it doesn’t just because a select few can beat the games without it.

2)The game forcing you down certain builds, as an average souls player, by having the same enemy types and bosses suddenly hit for 3x to 5x damage late game(mainly an Elden Ring and DS2 issue), instead of continuing an exponential ramp, creating more unique moments, and making the combat scenarios themselves more creative instead of just the environments.

Fighting a dragon who can kill you in 3-5 hits earlier in the game and then suddenly fighting the same model/type of dragon later on who now kills you in 1 hit doesn’t make you suddenly appreciate the game more because this is a new engaging moment. Instead, it just means that the numbers for that mob were annoyingly cranked up to the point where you either have to A) Grind B) Make zero mistakes or C) Find a way to cheese. This isn’t balancing, yet it keeps being excused.

Asking more from a player should be making creative combat situations that the player has to navigate around, not cranking up damage numbers to the point where they hit a wall and have no choice but to be very selective about their builds.

In ANY other game you guys would drag it through the coals for doing this, and even as a souls fan I can see this as a glaring flaw, and yet a lot of the rest of you cannot or will not allow yourself to see this type of flaw, and instead will defend it to death because of some benign fear of it being taken away in the future because of complaints. Now that it is solidified that Souls isn’t going away anytime soon and From Software is Namco’s new golden child multimillion seller, I think it’s fine to point out these flaws as fans.

There is a reason why people consider Bloodborne and Sekiro as superior games. Honestly, I agree with them. They are more balanced, more creative, and are more memorable experiences due to those creative factors and more. Again, Elden Ring would have literally beaten Bloodborne for me in personal ranking if it wasn’t for the last 20% of the game being such a drag(by last 20% I mean the two snow areas and much of what is after).
I have yet to finish Elden Ring, so I cannot comment on that. However, both in Demon's Souls, Dark Souls and Dark Souls II - which I've beat - the game gives you ample of items and equipment which can help you balance or empower your character to overcome EVERYTHING. You didn't invest in making your character able to handle heavier loads and now can't effectively roll when wearing an armor heavy and sturdy enough to withstand the upcoming boss? Wear a ring that boosts your equipment load value and makes you able to roll. Low poison resistance? Wear this ring. The X opponent is weak to magic but you never made a magic build? Imbue a weapon with magic properties and fuck him up. Many opponents hit you with fire? Wear rings and armors with heavy fire resistance.

Many people think that Souls games are just well-timed rolls. They aren't. There is a great amount of customization options which can help you make your character better suited to handle a challenge.

Personally, in order to keep my character more easily versatile, I almost never raise an attribute much higher than the others. I try and have his stats equal, with only STR and DEX having 5 numbers higher than the other stats.

To this day, this tactic never failed me in PvE situations, and I can still hold my ground relatively well in PvP until I stumble upon a VERY well-planned power-gamer.

Last edited:

GymWolf

I checked the 4 that felt the most true:

-The bad camera is mostly true and is a key problem of the genre. There are still very few 3D soulslikes that fully fix this problem and one of the few that do is a third person shooter(Remnant: From the Ashes), but it has the benefit of being a shooter.

-Speaking of Remnant, it's also one of the few games that managed to get ranged combat right, but that's due to the enemy AI behavior that will flank you, shoot back, and have swarms that rush you down if needed. This type of design can't work in other souls games, so at this point I think that the ranged combat is built poorly in other soulslikes, because the devs don't want to bother trying to balance around that and they don't want their own experience to be too easy either.

Bloodborne is a top 3 all time game for me, but even I can admit that the guns(especially the longer barrel ones) not having a range of more than a few feet in front of you, was very silly to look at. Somehow, for that game, it just works 🤷‍♂️

Finally, this is also true. The best usual option for 1v3 fights in soulslikes is to run backwards into the most hallway-esque room so that the enemies can line up, which is essentially finding a way to cheese a system that is inherently flawed. Also in the case of a dual boss fight, you're hoping and praying that the big guy to your right side that's off camera, isn't charging up some one hit kill animation while you're busy fighting the speedy guy.
Remnant was such a good game yeah.

I love the situations of multiple enemies in the world, crowd control, surviving in a hostile terrain against foes... the part I enjoy least is the actual boss battles where you have no room to maneuver.

Jigsaah

Other. I don't like that they eventually let you teleport to whatever bonfire you wanted. I appreciated having to learn the map without having a map in Dark Souls 1.

I also don't like the bell maiden in Bloodborne and the choice for pvp in Elden Ring without consequence. Yes you could opt out of PVP in Dark Souls by staying undead/hollow, but it came at a cost of lower health/ item discovery.

I also don't like the netcode not improving over the course of 5 games.

I also don't like repeated bosses in Elden Ring.

I also hated chalice Dungeons in Bloodborne needs to get certain specced weapons

I hated the lack of build variety in Bloodborne.

I hated Dark Souls 2...period.

Nickolaidas

Yes you could opt out of PVP in Dark Souls by staying undead/hollow, but it came at a cost of lower health/ item discovery.
I think that being hollow still allowed players to invade you. Not 100% sure on Dark Souls, but in Dark Souls II, hollow means nothing, in terms of invasion.

Demon's Souls, yes, absolutely. Soul form = no invasions, but no help from players either.

Jigsaah

I think that being hollow still allowed players to invade you. Not 100% sure on Dark Souls, but in Dark Souls II, hollow means nothing, in terms of invasion.

Demon's Souls, yes, absolutely. Soul form = no invasions, but no help from players either.
Im pretty sure I got thru the Cat forest in Dark Souls 1 by staying dead. At least in the early days of the game, you could not step foot in that forest while alive and not get invaded 2 or 3 times by players from that covenant. Same thing happens in Dark Souls 3. I'm not 100% on Dark souls 2. In all cases you could invite people to invade via the red soap sign, though I don't believe red signs were available in DS1.

farmerboy

Have only played Demons Souls and really enjoyed it. Will play Bloodborne at some point, would love a patch. The combat is its own thing and its enjoyable. I enjoy the methodical nature of it.

In saying that, I enjoyed the Berserker King and Gna fights in GOW more. The spectacle, the mechanics, the feeling of brute force, the speed. Its insane.

Top Bottom