• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Will MS overtake Sony in North America now?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't think Sony can make a FPS as big as Halo, But I think they are on the right track by securing Destiny market deal. It wouldn't be as good as an exclusive, but that's some smart decision.
And better version of multiplat might help a little. Battlefield 4 still have the most players on PS4 right?

I think if Sony can end up with Destiny selling 2:1 in PS4's favor much like CoD on 360 last gen, that would be great for them. It will only further help associate the Destiny franchise with Sony and the PS4. Microsoft did it with Call of Duty last generation. So while it won't be an exclusive per-say, it will for all intents and purposes be considered a "Sony game" by the general populace.

I'm torn personally. On the one hand I dislike MS immensely as a company and would like to see Sony really steal their thunder, even in the US. On the other hand, competition is always good, and I wouldn't mind seeing more of the dude bro shooter game crowd stay on Live. :D

Well "competition" does not mean "they need to sell equally as well," so you can end up having both.

MrMephistoX

I think so early adopters are not a good barometer of anything. There's still millions of 360 owners out there that haven't upgraded to either platform yet. Still the value prop of XBONE isn't readily apparent unless you're a big fan of MS exclusives.

EGOMON

I saw this posted today, and it seems like Microsoft is in for even more trouble soon. Looks like Sony's Team ICE (Naughty Dog) have found a way to get even more power out of the system. I can't wait for the E3 announcements.

http://wccftech.com/playstation-4-a...rmance-boost-ps4-xbox-performance-gap-extend/

Yeah we had a thread about this yesterday and got closed, everyone was calling BS but i believe Sony will free some resources for the devs in the future giving the PS4 a boost

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
Well "competition" does not mean "they need to sell equally as well," so you can end up having both.

True of course. But the tighter the completion the more pressure on all involved to remain consumer friendly and out out as much great first party stuff as possible.

I won't end up with both as I don't game enough to justify multiple platforms anymore. So just PS4 and handhelds for me this gen.

I-hate-u

All depends on E3 announcements. everyone has been hyping MS conference on twitter and Sony has been worryingly silent, so its possible they might dominate the show and start building momentum to overtake Sony in NA sometime next year.

EDIT: BTW by June 9th, the X1 will be $50 cheaper than the PS4 in Canada. That, coupled with strong E3 announcements, MS can really win over undecided gamers who want to upgrade to gen 8 in Canada

jryi

Senior Analyst, Fanboy Drivel Research Partners LLC
If you accept that the digital check ins was actually going to happen, then you also have to accept their statement that you could share those digital games. Which balanced the field, IMO.

The digital check-in mechanism was explained by Microsoft to a detail. All we knew about game sharing was an obscure mention that "your family will be able to test your games". Yes, Major Nelson promised to come back later with a more precise explanation, but before he could do it, Microsoft had already performed their first 180.

I am quite confident, that when Hryb started writing the explanation, he realised that the feature is not nearly attractive enough to redeem the DRM scheme, so he went to Matrick and they decided to save what could be saved at that point. There was never going to be a way for even a single family member to play any of the games in your collection without limits, let alone ten.

Piggus

when did they make it clear? When they hadn't even shown the consumer the system or features? No feedback was had before that, and then they got feedback and changed.

You say it as if it were that simple. They were incredibly stubborn and clung to their "vision" until they started seeing absolutely atrocious pre-order numbers and had no other choice. Only then did they listen to the "feedback" (which had been going on for weeks). Nothing would have changed if the feedback didn't correlate with poor pre-sales.

MilesTeg

Banned
Nothing is impossible. People don't really remember that the PS3 spend almost the entirety of the last gen in third place and even still the gap is close globally and the 360 continues to outsell it. So if Sony could last year I don't see why MS can't.

Nothing is impossible. People don't really remember that the PS3 spend almost the entirety of the last gen in third place and even still the gap is close globally and the 360 continues to outsell it. So if Sony could last year I don't see why MS can't.

Do you think people in Japan, Germany, France, Spain, etc. are suddenly going to care about microsoft consoles?

EDIT: BTW by June 9th, the X1 will be $50 cheaper than the PS4 in Canada. That, coupled with strong E3 announcements, MS can really win over undecided gamers who want to upgrade to gen 8 in Canada

This is exactly where it should be priced. It needs to drop to $349 in the USA now to be properly priced for a one console owner. It still too much for the PS4 owner to buy the system just for exclusives but again we aren't there anyway yet with the games library.

The 360 has spent the entire generation cheaper than the PS3 and also came out a year earlier. There is no way MS comes back to overtake Sony this generation, even in North America, unless they undercut Sony's price by $50-$100.

Not this shit again.

PS3 never took over 360 in NA, in fact the gap widened. The PS3 managed to beat it WW due to strong EU sales and 10 million in JP. XB1 won't have nay of that.

I know that. Perhaps I misunderstood the point of the post I quoted.

Would you elaborate?

I said that it took the PS3 the entirety of the last generation (over 5 years) but it end up surpassing the 360 sales. And if Sony did the impossible then I don't think is too farfetched to think Microsoft can do it this time. That's the opposite of Suddenly.

I said that it took the PS3 the entirety of the last generation (over 5 years) but it end up surpassing the 360 sales. And if Sony did the impossible then I don't thin is too farfetched to think Microsoft can doing the time. That's the opposite of Suddenly.

The PS3 never caught up to or passed the 360 sales in the US. It was never even close. The 360 was competitive with the PS3 globally because of the US and UK being overwhelmingly Microsoft territory.

Salex_

Hmm...I don't understand this sentence. Yeah, the PS3 constantly outsold the 360 worldwide, but that didn't change anything in the US.

The 360 has continued to maintain their lead in the US regardless of the price drops, the mountain of exclusives, and PS+ in the last 5 years. The 360 sold ~15 million more systems in the US compared to the PS3.

Microsoft is going to need something big to change the situation in the US. The friends effect in this age is far more influential than it was at the start of last gen. Everyone wants to play online with their friends and borrow games with them.

Currently, the difference is around 500k, right? I won't be surprised if it started to snowball from here. The big multplats are coming up soon and E3 should be big for both companies for info on announced and unannounced games.

I saw this posted today, and it seems like Microsoft is in for even more trouble soon. Looks like Sony's Team ICE (Naughty Dog) have found a way to get even more power out of the system. I can't wait for the E3 announcements.

http://wccftech.com/playstation-4-a...rmance-boost-ps4-xbox-performance-gap-extend/

The ICE team is working constantly on optimising code for the hardware and they share their stuff with 3rd party devs. They did it last gen and they doing it this gen.
But its not like you'll see a huge bump from one day to the next. It'll be a steady flow of babysteps.

Microsoft is doing just the same btw.

Tex117

Banned
MS is going to have to really work at getting good games on their system. And not just "the next FPS." They are going to actually have to be a video game company.

quetz67

Banned

Because Sony recovered due to a stronger lineup and because of a stronger brand. MS has less studios and a damaged brand. So Sony getting stronger later in a consoles life would point to the gap rather widening.

It is a strange misconception that the underdog always is the one who catches up later.

King_Moc

Banned
The digital check-in mechanism was explained by Microsoft to a detail. All we knew about game sharing was an obscure mention that "your family will be able to test your games". Yes, Major Nelson promised to come back later with a more precise explanation, but before he could do it, Microsoft had already performed their first 180.

I am quite confident, that when Hryb started writing the explanation, he realised that the feature is not nearly attractive enough to redeem the DRM scheme, so he went to Matrick and they decided to save what could be saved at that point. There was never going to be a way for even a single family member to play any of the games in your collection without limits, let alone ten.

You say that like he said he was going to check on it, then they 180'd 5 minutes later. Hryb went away 'to get an answer' and never game back, as the details would have just confirmed what we all suspected. It was going to be an overwhelmingly anti-consumer feature, the negatives of which would far outweigh any benefits. They'd have explained the feature if this wasn't the case. They didn't.

You say it as if it were that simple. They were incredibly stubborn and clung to their "vision" until they started seeing absolutely atrocious pre-order numbers and had no other choice. Only then did they listen to the "feedback" (which had been going on for weeks). Nothing would have changed if the feedback didn't correlate with poor pre-sales.

Microsoft was hoping the outcry was just from a hardcore gamers on the internet. They were hoping that casual gamers would be more easily fooled. Obviously not.

You say that like he said he was going to check on it, then they 180'd 5 minutes later. Hryb went away 'to get an answer' and never game back, as the details would have just confirmed what we all suspected. It was going to be an overwhelmingly anti-consumer feature, the negatives of which would far outweigh any benefits. They'd have explained the feature if this wasn't the case. They didn't.

Microsoft was hoping the outcry was just from a hardcore gamers on the internet. They were hoping that casual gamers would be more easily fooled. Obviously not.

There was a leak from a MS employee that came out and they were going to limit the share to a 1 hour play time. Basically it was going to be a glorified demo.

King_Moc

Banned
There was a leak from a MS employee that came out and they were going to limit the share to a 1 hour play time. Basically it was going to be a glorified demo.

I remember hearing that, but I don't really trust leaks. If true, that'll be why they never bothered clarifying.

I remember hearing that, but I don't really trust leaks. If true, that'll be why they never bothered clarifying.

Well we will never find out. Honestly I think its something that was just said and they never actually had a solid plan in place to execute the sharing plan. That'd why they didn't want to give details on it. If they had a plan in place why couldn't they go into more details unless it would have been worse than how they were talking it up? Also I believe cboat said there was a catch to it around that time. The better question is why can't they still offer that option to people who go digital with software if it was going to be so great?

N.Domixis

Banned
Based on months when both consoles had nothing going on, ps4 was close to 2:1 in Jan and April. Feb and March had the hype of TF and infamous and ps4 was still ahead for both months. If they had not cut the price than may would have been 3:1 with the watch dogs advertising pushing ps4 sales. So unless the price cut doubles and then adds a couple ten thousands above that, the xbox is not passing the ps4. The ps4 has momentum. The xbox success came from casuals that bought into kinect. They aren't coming back this time. The more time the ps4 spends with more sales or even sales between the two, the harder it will become for xbox to become market leader here.

Microsoft was hoping the outcry was just from a hardcore gamers on the internet. They were hoping that casual gamers would be more easily fooled.

Pretty much, they tried to pull the wool over the eyes of their fanbase, but no one was taking the lacklustre bait since it's basicallly the absolute nadir of market focused gaming product. Inferior and overpriced with virtually no kinect appeal or added value with such an atrocious add-on, not to mention xbox brand is despised in Europe and Asia anyway with not many hardcore loyal fans to MS in US. So there's no one to really see them through the dark times unlike PS3/Sony.

All depends on E3 announcements. everyone has been hyping MS conference on twitter and Sony has been worryingly silent, so its possible they might dominate the show and start building momentum to overtake Sony in NA sometime next year.

Dominating an E3 does rarely translate into actual sales, though. It resonates with a very narrow community and lands itself to heated debates on forums...but that is about it.

I said that it took the PS3 the entirety of the last generation (over 5 years) but it end up surpassing the 360 sales. And if Sony did the impossible then I don't think is too farfetched to think Microsoft can do it this time. That's the opposite of Suddenly.

The PS brand is much more powerful than the Xbox around the world. Always been, always will be. That is false equivalency.

Dominating an E3 does rarely translate into actual sales, though. It resonates with a very narrow community and lands itself to heated debates on forums...but that is about it.
It depends on the win. If it's game based with titles a year or two off then they can have little direct impact (Nintendo did this several times) if it's system defining the have long reaches and an immediate impact($599, DRM, etc )

It depends on the win. If it's game based with titles a year or two off then they can have little direct impact (Nintendo did this several times) if it's system defining the have long reaches and an immediate impact($599, DRM, etc )

I agree. I was talking games only. Unless you come out with two-three Minecraft-Halo-GT-Mario selling juggernauts, your win will be more symbolic than anything else.
If MS had reiterated the Xbox360 success in America, I REALLY doubt that Sony displaying Medievil, Crash, The Last Guardian and Shenmue would have changed much in terms of performance...

thuway

I think you have to be in the game to see anything like that because I don't believe there's a website similar to bf4stats that would have that kind of information.

I thought Elite would track that sort of thing. I'm sure someone could easily get 360, Xbox One, PS3, and PS4 numbers. Hm.

Chitown B

Most of my friends (who only owns the Xbox 360 last generation) have PS4 now. Only my friend who's a Microsoft fan boy got the Xbox one.

almost all of my Halo clan bought and X1, or an X1 and a PS4.

I own a 360 & PS3 and bought an X1

my other local friends who own 360's got X1's, or an X1 and a PS4.

In my own personal experience, PS4 is a second system to the X1, if the player already owns a 360. I don't know many people that ditched their gamerscore and all their friends to get a PS4 and play the same multiplatforms with no one.

Chitown B

so the "clung to their vision" for a week. That's barely long enough to have the meetings necessary to change their course. You can't be serious that a company would change their entire course in a day.

I agree. I was talking games only. Unless you come out with two-three Minecraft-Halo-GT-Mario selling juggernauts, your win will be more symbolic than anything else.
If MS had reiterated the Xbox360 success in America, I REALLY doubt that Sony displaying Medievil, Crash, The Last Guardian and Shenmue would have changed much in terms of performance...
Funny how people keep forgetting this is a SEGA game, full and full.

I don't know many people that ditched their gamerscore and all their friends to get a PS4 and play the same multiplatforms with no one.

They'll make new friends.

almost all of my Halo clan bought and X1, or an X1 and a PS4.

I own a 360 & PS3 and bought an X1

my other local friends who own 360's got X1's, or an X1 and a PS4.

In my own personal experience, PS4 is a second system to the X1, if the player already owns a 360. I don't know many people that ditched their gamerscore and all their friends to get a PS4 and play the same multiplatforms with no one.

It being the second system will depend on which system they buying the most software on.
Which is also something MS had lock down last gen , if people buy both but buy all there multiplatform games on PS4 it works bad for MS.

PS4 doesn't really have it's Halo, if Microsoft release a Halo 1-4 collection as rumored you can bet your butt people will pick up the 399 xbox one just to play that. Sony doesn't really have anything that's remotely close to Halo right now. Even though I think a megaton game like The Last Guardian could swing it to Sony for the Holidays because people like me who already own an xbox one would pretty much buy a PS4 on principle I suspect it will have limited appeal outside those who visit sites like IGN. I could be entirely wrong though.

Chitown B

Because Sony recovered due to a stronger lineup and because of a stronger brand. MS has less studios and a damaged brand.

please explain the strong lineup, objectively. Also, damaged brand and less studios?

I have PS3. I bought the Uncharted games, and I'll probably eventually get The Last of Us on PS4 someday. I got some of the HD remasters (God of War, Kingdom Hearts). But I didn't see any sort of lead in exclusives for Sony.

On 360 there's Alan Wake, the entire Gears series, Halo series, Crackdown, Dance Central games, Fable series, Forza series, Left 4 Dead series, Lost Odyssey, Minecraft (originally), PGR, Saints Row (1), Viva Pinata, Witcher 2 - and a ton of XBLA games.

PS3 = GT series, God of War series, Ratchet and Clank series, Beyond Two Souls, Demon's Souls, Dead Nation, Heavy Rain, Infamous, Killzone series, LittleBigPlanet series, Resistance series, The Last of Us, Uncharted series, and a ton of japanese games US players probably haven't heard of.

It's completely subjective. Both had good exclusives and were worth buying.

please explain the strong lineup, objectively. Also, damaged brand and less studios?

I have PS3. I bought the Uncharted games, and I'll probably eventually get The Last of Us on PS4 someday. I got some of the HD remasters (God of War, Kingdom Hearts). But I didn't see any sort of lead in exclusives for Sony.

On 360 there's Alan Wake, the entire Gears series, Halo series, Crackdown, Dance Central games, Fable series, Forza series, Left 4 Dead series, Lost Odyssey, Minecraft (originally), PGR, Saints Row (1), Viva Pinata, Witcher 2 - and a ton of XBLA games.

PS3 = GT series, God of War series, Ratchet and Clank series, Beyond Two Souls, Demon's Souls, Dead Nation, Heavy Rain, Infamous, Killzone series, LittleBigPlanet series, Resistance series, The Last of Us, Uncharted series, and a ton of japanese games US players probably haven't heard of.

It's completely subjective. Both had good exclusives and were worth buying.

WW Playstation is a stronger brand. Again for the millionth time PS3 never recovered form the 360's lead in the US. That gap actually widened. Ps3 was able to do much better in EU and Jp something XB1 cannot do at all.

Damaged brand is just perception but its an important factor nevertheless.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom