• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Will Smith slaps Chris Rock at the Oscars

gradient

Resident Cheap Arse

Jim Carey is spot on. Between Denzel and others rushing over to support Will immediately after he'd just attacked someone and that standing ovation they gave him, all they did was reveal what a hypocritical and disingenous mess hollywood and their leading "stars" are. They're happy to pass judgement and cast condemnation on others, positioning themselves as the moral authority and truth speakers but when you get down to it they close ranks and applaud even the most heinous of behaviour. Lest we not forget the standing ovation Polanski got as well as all the signatures and campaigns to "free" him from exile aka the consequences of drugging and raping a child.

I mean hell, they gave a standing ovation to a guy that made a speech about being a vessel of love immediately after having publicly assualted someone for an incredibly mild joke.

Well lets just make some examples...

Like..youre roasting someone like..Peter Dinklage...on stage..

Youre using his dwarfism as materials...

And somehow..hes angry and took offense for what you said...and proceed to file a lawsuit...

Do you think hes justified ( for what he did) or nothing hes out of the line for doing that and shouldve just acepted what you said to him...
A lawsuit? For making fun of him? Are you serious?

I hope you don’t live in the US. Otherwise, you are a good example of how pitiful our education system is. He would be laughed out of the courtroom if he filed a lawsuit because he didn’t like your joke. So, whether he wanted to accept it or not, he wouldn’t really have any choice but to get over it.

Got any more pathetic examples? I hope you can do better than that. What right do you think people have not to be offended?

The comments after Jim Carey are bat shit insane. They will literally protect the elite at any cost as long as their skin pigmentation is the right hue. Rules for thee but not for me.

They literally have no agency or autonomous thought, all that reporter is talking about are skin color and the complexity of the situation. There are no layers to be "peeled back" here, there's nothing to unpack. She outright says "I was actually grateful for twitter because I really needed help unpacking and processing this thing in the moment". How f"cking idiotic do you need to be so dependent on social media to form your own opinion?

Also, how fragile are these people? They have knots in their stomach and can't sleep because a dude slapped another dude?

Faust

Perpetually Tired
Staff Member
They literally have no agency or autonomous thought, all that reporter is talking about are skin color and the complexity of the situation. There are no layers to be "peeled back" here, there's nothing to unpack. She outright says "I was actually grateful for twitter because I really needed help unpacking and processing this thing in the moment". How f"cking idiotic do you need to be so dependent on social media to form your own opinion?

Also, how fragile are these people? They have knots in their stomach and can't sleep because a dude slapped another dude?

Anyone who states they need to use Twitter for any validation is someone who should not be taken seriously.

Between Denzel and others rushing over to support Will immediately after he'd just attacked someone and that standing ovation they gave him, all they did was reveal what a hypocritical and disingenous mess hollywood and their leading "stars" are. They're happy to pass judgement and cast condemnation on others, positioning themselves as the moral authority and truth speakers but when you get down to it they close ranks and applaud even the most heinous of behaviour. Lest we not forget the standing ovation Polanski got as well as all the signatures and campaigns to "free" him from exile aka the consequences of drugging and raping a child.

I mean hell, they gave a standing ovation to a guy that made a speech about being a vessel of love immediately after having publicly assualted someone for an incredibly mild joke.
All of this is spot on.

Also your post brought something not being overly talked about -- people like Denzel, Tyler Perry, and maybe others rushing to "comfort" or support Will Smith.

I previously had some respect for Denzel, but I lost some of it based on that. I hope he explains his thought process at some point down the line.

Thaedolus

Well let just make some examples...

And somehow..hes angry and took offense for what you said...and proceed to file a lawsuit...

Do you think hes justified ( for what he did) or nothing hes out of the line for doing that and shouldve just acepted what you said to him...

Meme Wtf GIF

Ristifer

Are you asking if he should be justified in suing someone over dwarf comments/a joke...?

Can we get more memes in here, please?

12Goblins

Lil’ Gobbie
All of this is spot on.

Also your post brought something not being overly talked about -- people like Denzel, Tyler Perry, and maybe others rushing to "comfort" or support Will Smith.

I previously had some respect for Denzel, but I lost some of it based on that. I hope he explains his thought process at some point down the line.
I mean they are likely longtime friends who know the personal shit he's had to deal with... you don't have to condone his behavior to make sure somebody is doing okay. lot of times it's these people that are key to letting Will know that what he did was not ok

until Denzel comes out and says yeah Chris rock deserved to be slapped for that, I wouldn't throw him under the bus

I mean they are likely longtime friends who know the personal shit he's had to deal with... you don't have to condone his behavior to make sure somebody is doing okay. lot of times it's these people that are key to letting Will know that what he did was not ok

until Denzel comes out and says yeah Chris rock deserved to be slapped for that, I wouldn't throw him under the bus
I think that’s right. The only thing I will say is that I hope people had enough decency to ask Chris if he was ok, considering he’s the one who got attacked on national television.

jason10mm

I think that’s right. The only thing I will say is that I hope people had enough decency to ask Chris if he was ok, considering he’s the one who got attacked on national television.
I'm curious if he could sue the Academy for the lack of security in allowing an unauthorized person to walk up on stage and hit him.

If not, then I'd expect some verbiage to that effect to be added to everyone's contract hereafter :p

I don't think folks in this day and age realize just how unprecedented this really is. To have an audience member of such a group run up and STRIKE a host on stage? Will really ought to be ousted from SAG but then again, so many of their members have done odious things so I doubt they want to shine the light too brightly.

tygertrip

The reality is that Smith should be charged with misdemeanour battery, even if Rock doesn't want to press charges.

You think that anyone other than a multi-millionaire would get away without consequence? Try slapping your boss or co-worker on camera and see what happens!

Its ridiculous. You cannot set a precedent where you can physically assault someone for a joke at your wife's expense. GTFO out of here. If Jada had slapped Chris Rock it'd be a different matter, because at least then it'd be the injured party retaliating.

The only way this works is (1) if you assume a woman needs a man to defend her honour on her behalf, and (2) black men hitting each other is "just part of the culture". So its both sexist and racist, while being slathered in a whole other layer of hypocrisy due to everyone involved being extremely rich and priveliged.
LOL. Only a little bitch-ass soyboy would press charges over a slap. Damn dude, that is some cringe right there.

tygertrip

You're trolling, but not well. It is obvious.

Clear

LOL. Only a little bitch-ass soyboy would press charges over a slap. Damn dude, that is some cringe right there.

Its about the precedent. You can't handwave off cunts stepping to COMEDIANS because their fee-fees get hurt by a fucking joke.
Especially if its s a rich, famous actor - because if you let that slide its obvious why they're getting given a free pass.

GloveSlap

Its about the precedent. You can't handwave off cunts stepping to COMEDIANS because their fee-fees get hurt by a fucking joke.
Especially if its s a rich, famous actor - because if you let that slide its obvious why they're getting given a free pass.
This is all true. Comedy was already on life support and this certainly doesn't help.

belmarduk

The comments after Jim Carey are bat shit insane. They will literally protect the elite at any cost as long as their skin pigmentation is the right hue. Rules for thee but not for me.

Not too long ago, the Oscars audience gave a raucous standing ovation to Roman Polanski, whose crime was far worse than Smith’s. Polanski is white. It’s odd that you would feel the need to interject race into this.

Not too long ago, the Oscars audience gave a raucous standing ovation to Roman Polanski, whose crime was far worse than Smith’s. Polanski is white. It’s odd that you would feel the need to interject race into this.
Woody Allen's personal life is a disaster. Yet nobody in Hollywood ever badmouths him. Only the press and tabloids make fun.

Celebs sure have a knack for cheering for weird people.

FunkMiller

Jim Carey is spot on. Between Denzel and others rushing over to support Will immediately after he'd just attacked someone and that standing ovation they gave him, all they did was reveal what a hypocritical and disingenous mess hollywood and their leading "stars" are. They're happy to pass judgement and cast condemnation on others, positioning themselves as the moral authority and truth speakers but when you get down to it they close ranks and applaud even the most heinous of behaviour. Lest we not forget the standing ovation Polanski got as well as all the signatures and campaigns to "free" him from exile aka the consequences of drugging and raping a child.

Yep. A bunch of self serving, virtue signalling cunts, who say one thing and do another at every opportunity.

They’ll bleat and moan about everyone on earth, and how people need to change and the world needs to be a better place… but as soon as something or someone threatens their own cozy community or their personal bottom lines, they’ll throw all that shit out of the window.

It’s odd that you would feel the need to interject race into this.

Did you find Jenna's response strange here? Do you think her opinion or tone would change if one of the parties involved were a different race? Do you think she believes in colorblindness or do you think she's race obsessed?

I don't think this situation has many layers or requires much time to think. Will Smith assaulted a comedian for using the wrong words. He did bad and he should feel bad. I get the feeling that people like Jenna and Gayle King want to separate society based on something other than "People who do bad stuff should be punished". Maybe I'm seeing something that's not there though.

Last edited:

Ownage

All of this is spot on.

They're called attention whores. They go where the cameras will be and where the focus is. Lots of these in politics too.

I think that seals it for me. Jim Carey is probably my favourite actor of all time. Just love the guy
I saw him in something else that made me think about him differently than I historically had. I think it was called "The Actors Roundtable" or something like that, where he was with 5 or 6 other actors just reflecting on a bunch of different topics.

He seems like he may have some demons (seems to gravitate towards negative/dark thoughts), but out of that whole crew he was the most honest and straightforward. His level of sincerity and honesty was pretty refreshing, actually.

Methos#1975

America media! Here in Europe it was a 5 sec thing. I imagine all USA tv channels are talking about it non stop.
Lol Americans in general, it was all we talked about at work last night and I had to turn off Facebook notifications since my friends were flooding it in memes lol

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion

Ironic that on Twitter, from what I saw, everyone is calling Smith a cuck

Chittagong

What I hate about this whole situation is that Will Smith's actions just help to perpetrate the violent black male myth and gives racist more ammo to use in their black on black crime narrative.

I think you have to have something of a racist world view for your mind to go there. It wasn’t until the retards in era started pushing this ‘violent blacks’ narrative that such an idea even crossed my mind.

Rather I thought that “here we go, another unhinged rich celeb like Britney, Kanye or John McAfee”. The fact that they are have ended up in positions in life that feed their narcissism, with wealth that removes basic inhibitors of bad behaviour like the fear of going to jail or losing a job is the real culprit, not skin colour.

EDIT: Might as well add Ezra Miller to that list

Last edited:
The simple fact that this would challenge the invasion of a country in recent replies is proof enough most of you need to step the fuck up.

The world does not revolve around Will Smith.

Last edited:
Top Bottom