• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Will Smith slaps Chris Rock at the Oscars

article-10818-art624368a39fe18.jpg
God this shit comedy gold. It's a shame BB was suspended on Twitter, I know there'd be some top notch comments.

Jim Carey is spot on. Between Denzel and others rushing over to support Will immediately after he'd just attacked someone and that standing ovation they gave him, all they did was reveal what a hypocritical and disingenous mess hollywood and their leading "stars" are. They're happy to pass judgement and cast condemnation on others, positioning themselves as the moral authority and truth speakers but when you get down to it they close ranks and applaud even the most heinous of behaviour. Lest we not forget the standing ovation Polanski got as well as all the signatures and campaigns to "free" him from exile aka the consequences of drugging and raping a child.

I mean hell, they gave a standing ovation to a guy that made a speech about being a vessel of love immediately after having publicly assualted someone for an incredibly mild joke.
Let's not forget they gave a standing ovation to Roman Polanski after being accused of drugging and raping a 13 year old. Hollywood is a cesspit of morally disgusting people.

Edit: sorry about the 3 posts in a row.

Last edited:

SlimySnake

The Contrarian
Academy says they asked Will Smith to leave but he refused. Fuck this guy.

Will Smith may face "suspension" or "expulsion" from the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences for slapping Chris Rock during Sunday's Oscars. The Board of Governors of the body that oversees the awards held an emergency meeting to discuss repercussions for the King Richard star, who just won his first golden statue. According to a new statement on Wednesday, the Academy asked Smith to leave the ceremony but he "refused." The organization admitted they botched the handling of the incident.

"The Board of Governors today initiated disciplinary proceedings against Mr. Smith for violations of the Academy,s Standards of Conduct, including inappropriate physical contact, abusive or threatening behavior, and compromising the integrity of the Academy," the Academy statement begins.

Hardensoul

Will Smith may face "suspension" or "expulsion" from the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences for slapping Chris Rock during Sunday's Oscars. The Board of Governors of the body that oversees the awards held an emergency meeting to discuss repercussions for the King Richard star, who just won his first golden statue. According to a new statement on Wednesday, the Academy asked Smith to leave the ceremony but he "refused." The organization admitted they botched the handling of the incident.

"The Board of Governors today initiated disciplinary proceedings against Mr. Smith for violations of the Academy,s Standards of Conduct, including inappropriate physical contact, abusive or threatening behavior, and compromising the integrity of the Academy," the Academy statement begins.
I’ll believe them if they got the balls to strip Will Smith of the Oscars!

Hes either kicked out or not. Sounds like BS. They all look extremely bad.

So the Academy is now saying they asked Will Smith to leave after the incident but he refused.

What an arrogant douchebag if true.
What, don't they have security at events like this? Were they all playing Pokemon when this went down? Were they on a lunch break?

WTF is this shit? Asked him and he refused so they just let him have his seat anyways? The more this story comes out, the more the academy looks like a complete and utter shambles.

What a fucking joke.

ANDS

Thought gaf was racist. Now knows better, honorary gaffer 2022
What a giant god damned asterisk there is on this win for him. It is like collapsing in the fourth quarter in the Superbowl, dude was about to get everything he has been looking for post-Fresh Prince and international stardom. Imagine if Halle Berry had a "wardrobe malfunction" or Jamie Foxx dropped a couple of "N-Bombs" during their wins.

. . .just really, really dumb. Like I bet more people know about him embarrassing himself than know he won an Oscar.

What, don't they have security at events like this? Were they all playing Pokemon when this went down? Were they on a lunch break?

Forcibly removing him would have been an even bigger shit-show and taken away even more from the remaining moments the man's peers were about to have.

Last edited:

Celcius

°Temp. member
I still can’t believe security just let him walk up on the stage, and then wouldn’t show him the door when he refused to leave. Like, what?

SlimySnake

The Contrarian
This whole situation reminds me of the Zidane World Cup headbutt. Loved famous person throughout his career probably taking insults on the daily but in their biggest moments failing to keep that thick skin. Letting fans and everyone down. At least Zidane got red carded…..
Exactly. the biggest issue is that he wasn't kicked out and on top of that was given a fucking standing ovation by hollywood. Like WTF? How delusional are all these people. They go on stage talking about climate change and civil rights as if they really believe in these things, but have no problems giving a standing ovation to a bully who just assualted someone in front of a billion people?

The academy not going to security after Will Smith refused shows how spineless they are compared to that ref who gave him the red card without actually witnessing the headbutt trusting that line ref who saw it and made that brave call on the biggest stage of the world against possibly the best player of his generation.

Last edited:

ANDS

Thought gaf was racist. Now knows better, honorary gaffer 2022
I still can’t believe security just let him walk up on the stage, and then wouldn’t show him the door when he refused to leave. Like, what?

They likely are under (or were) to give wide latitude for "viral moments" - so think Kanye West or the best picture fuck up a few years back. They almost surely didn't clock Smith as a threat - because why would they?

Ownage

I don't understand why he stays with her. He's rich, attractive, famous, and powerful (probably). Seems like she's nothing special in any way.
Divorce is expensive.

Divorce from a narcissist is 1000000x as expensive. Plus false accusations, drudging up bullshit. It can get really nasty.

Sometimes you're stuck unless you want to upend everything.

MaulerX

Strip his Oscar and ban his ass. Unacceptable behavior.

Absolutely. Like Jim Carrey said they're spineless and won't have the balls to do it.

They need to do something though. Letting rhis go will set a horrible precedent. Everyone will think they can walk on stage and assault a comedian just because they didn't like a joke.

nush

Divorce is expensive.

Divorce from a narcissist is 1000000x as expensive. Plus false accusations, drudging up bullshit. It can get really nasty.

Alimony as well, Will Smith could end his career doing every shitty movie just to keep up payments like Robin Williams (RIP).

Divorce is expensive.

A life time of abuse and misery is no way to live regardless of how much $$$ is at stake. He could easily make that money back doing a few movies anyways. He has the star power and an academy award to back it up.

Absolutely. Like Jim Carrey said they're spineless and won't have the balls to do it.

They need to do something though. Letting rhis go will set a horrible precedent. Everyone will think they can walk on stage and assault a comedian just because they didn't like a joke.
Sets a bad precedent for any other shows.

What's stopping people from storming a stage to slap a comedian or any show host just for the publicity.

What does this hold for future Oscar events regarding security? The fact the academy has moved this slowly to address these issues shows everyone that they are in fact like Jim said spineless. They're a joke is the motion picture academy and this show and award has become a joke and this is not the fault of Will alone.
There are some big issues in that organization.

Alimony as well, Will Smith could end his career doing every shitty movie just to keep up payments like Robin Williams (RIP).
I dunno why people in Hollywood don't just fuck and let that be the end of it.

There's tons of high end ass in Hollywood circles to be had and you don't need to pay millions for it. Just fuck and go home. Tomorrow find someone else to fuck. Jada's ugly anyways and its not the bald head.

Will could be sacked up with Taraji, Halle or Jill Scott. Jill may be an oil tanker in comparison to the rest but that's how you do it. You get that low maintenance, ugly ogre in between the hotties to keep you sane.

DeafTourette

Older than air but younger than the foundations of the earth
The stuff you talk about, if true, is indeed fucked up. Was it just limited to the hairstyles being called "ugly," or did job repercussions actually happen? (And to answer your question, as a dark guy myself, of course those hair styles are not ugly in any way. They're cool!)

The danger with anecdotes is this: Your experiences are very different than mine. As a non-white Hispanic, I've been working in a white-majority industry for over a decade -- in the state that once served as the central hub of the Confederate States of America, where every other street/building seems to be named either after Robert E. Lee or Stonewall Jackson. And NOT ONCE, there wasn't even a HINT of anyone talking badly about my hair, about my ethnic background, about my race, about anything personal related to me. If anything, I had:

(1) A couple of coworkers ask me about the cuisine of my native home country, in a curious and appreciative manner (one of them, he and his wife actually made a dish from my home country!)
(2) Always had supportive team members, all the way. Again, majority white. They have treated me with nothing but kindness, encouragement, and mentorship.
(3) In part because of #2, but in large part due to my own blood, sweat, and tears, I have a very respectable position at the company I work at. People treat (as they have always treated) my opinions with respect and consideration.

So because you and I have lived very different experiences, which do we take as "truth?" The answer is: neither. Data and statistics (hopefully with a large sample size) are king.

Question: are you Afro-Latino?

And it's not just anecdotal evidence based on people I know ... There's been numerous articles about it... Even lawsuits filed like the one from Chastity Jones for having locs (I hate the term dreadlocks but they DID tell her that to her face) ... Of course she ended up losing that fight ... They don't look "unprofessional" to me...

VpAJ9aN.png

Or this little girl sent home with her whole natural hair saying it's inappropriate... It's a fauxhawk! All her hair was still on her head ..

kH1Nu5f.jpg

My question was because non-black people don't usually have the tight coils black hair does, which makes our hair, largely, unique. There IS a history of implicit bias towards black hair in schools, the work place, etc. And by history I don't mean ancient.

It's partly the reason why many black women used relaxers, hair straighteners, extensions and wigs to "fit in".

There's even a bill being considered in the Senate (it passed the House) called The CROWN Act no idea if it'll pass the Senate or die there but if you want to read up on the bill...

Last edited:

Ownage

A life time of abuse and misery is no way to live regardless of how much $$$ is at stake. He could easily make that money back doing a few movies anyways. He has the star power and an academy award to back it up.
I have a hunch the Academy will let him keep the Oscar but expel him from the group. It's been done before. Might not happen, but my hunch is this.

nush

Jada's ugly anyways

I think they were Childhood sweethearts and she's been with him from before The Fresh Prince. A role he would not have got if she hadn't kicked him out the house to go an socialize when his music career was in the dumps. Unless that was someone different he was dating, I don't keep up with Hollywood relationships.

To those calling Will a psychopath...

What else has he done that rises to the level of being a psychopath?

You judge people on their worst day? Should people judge YOU on yours?
I’m sure if I had my worst day broadcast live around the world, people probably would judge me on it.

Anyway, I don’t think he’s a psychopath, just seriously emotionally unstable.

DeafTourette

I think they were Childhood sweethearts and she's been with him from before The Fresh Prince. A role he would not have got if she hadn't kicked him out the house to go an socialize when his music career was in the dumps. Unless that was someone different he was dating, I don't keep up with Hollywood relationships.

Nope. Jada was close friends with Tupac, not Will. Will was married during Fresh Prince... That's who his oldest child is with... His ex-wife. They're actually still close to this day.

I have a hunch the Academy will let him keep the Oscar but expel him from the group. It's been done before. Might not happen, but my hunch is this.

I think they'll suspend him for a few years from the Academy... I doubt the SAG or whatever other guild will suspend him. Maybe he'll have to pay fines or go on an apology tour and/or PUBLICLY apologize to Chris Rock.

That's more than Adrien Brody had to do after he kissed Halle without her permission. She wasn't pleased with it at all.

nush

I think they'll suspend him for a few years from the Academy... I doubt the SAG or whatever other guild will suspend him. Maybe he'll have to pay fines or go on an apology tour and/or PUBLICLY apologize to Chris Rock.

I'm pretty sure low-key he won't be getting any more Oscars, even if nominated.

DeafTourette

I'm pretty sure low-key he won't be getting any more Oscars, even if nominated.

Sean Penn got nominated years after his shenanigans... It'll be years before Will can be nominated again. He just better be focused on fun movies and not Oscar performance type stuff.

DeafTourette

My worst day involved the death of a family member.

Nobody is calling him a psychopath, just a dumb-ass.

He assaulted him on national TV. It was filmed.

I've been on this thread from jump... Some on here DID call him a psychopath.

It's because of this video;

Friends with Louis CK and letting him say the N word.

Watching it now as I surf the net. Im only 10 minutes in as they are gabbing about what it takes to be a comedian. I'll see how the remaining 40 minutes go, but if Chris Rock is he white man's black man for sitting on a panel with 3 white comedians (Seinfeld, Gervais and Louis CK) and not spazzing out over CK (havent heard that part yet), thats some claim.

Edit: Just got to it now by luck... ballpark 15-17 minute mark.

Awwww..... poor babies cant take it that Rock and CK seem like longtime good buddies (I never knew this) talking about N word in a 2012 video. Unless they start talking about it again, it's already over at the 18 mark. The panel joked about it for about 1 minute or two, and they have already moved on to another topic.

Last edited:
Top Bottom