• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox One Launch Thread [Thread being archived 1/1/14]

Montresor

So how would we compare Lococycle to Twisted Pixel's other games? I'm interested in trying that out whenever I finish Max, Black Flag, and Ryse.

Ms. Splosion Man: Among the top 50 games of the gen. It builds on everything that's great about the original game and creates a jam-packed sequel: new platforming gimmicks, better art style, better graphics, amazing music, funnier dialogue, and lots of rewards (pictures, movies, themes, gamerpics, avatar items, songs, etc...).

Splosion Man: Incredible platforming game with simple, tight, elegant controls.

Comic Jumper: Mediocre game play but easily worth a playthrough for its wonderful humour.

The Maw: Twisted Pixel's weakest entry. This game is extremely rough around the edges. I enjoyed my time with it but I can't deny it has bad game play, terrible graphics, and a boring gimmick

So how would we compare Lococycle to Twisted Pixel's other games? I'm interested in trying that out whenever I finish Max, Black Flag, and Ryse.

Ms. Splosion Man: Among the top 50 games of the gen. It builds on everything that's great about the original game and creates a jam-packed sequel: new platforming gimmicks, better art style, better graphics, amazing music, funnier dialogue, and lots of rewards (pictures, movies, themes, gamerpics, avatar items, songs, etc...).

Splosion Man: Incredible platforming game with simple, tight, elegant controls.

Comic Jumper: Mediocre game play but easily worth a playthrough for its wonderful humour.

The Maw: Twisted Pixel's weakest entry. This game is extremely rough around the edges. I enjoyed my time with it but I can't deny it has bad game play, terrible graphics, and a boring gimmick

Lococycle will probably disappoint you. I played it a couple of hours the third day I had the console, but I just have no desire to pick it back up. Maybe next time I play it I'll have a better impression. I feel like Max and Killer Instinct are the downloadable gems of the launch window.

I'm not surprised. A lot of the active posters who have been around here a while get all the consoles, even those who have a clear preference for one over the other.
Yup, hell I don't see why you wouldn't if you honestly do enjoy gaming as your hobby. Why miss out on a ton of exclusives? I'm not afraid to admit I have a huge preference for Xbox, and I still bought a PS4 at launch, because I'm excited for The Last of Us 2/Naughty Dog products.

I have jumped in.
NGs8W6Z.png

Downloaded update, installing it now. Hoping the kinect works this close (I game at a desk).

The drought sent another to the dark side.

Youll be much better off having it high up as it nees to see the floor for proper calibration

derFeef

Clearing a lot of my PC backlog atm and the console<>PC difference is still pretty stark. However - I have really no problem with console game graphics especially if you play games like Max, KI or Forza 5 - beautiful and impressive games when they are on my TV.

Lococycle will probably disappoint you. I played it a couple of hours the third day I had the console, but I just have no desire to pick it back up. Maybe next time I play it I'll have a better impression. I feel like Max and Killer Instinct are the downloadable gems of the launch window.

It's pretty fun, probably won't ever return to it once I've finished it, but it's not as bad as its rep would suggest.

And the OST. Goodness, the OST is amazing.

Anyone else have this issue where your games will continuously crash to the dashboard after the splash screen? It doesn't matter what game I try, they all will just crash until I reset my console.

Caayn

Anyone else have this issue where your games will continuously crash to the dashboard after the splash screen? It doesn't matter what game I try, they all will just crash until I reset my console.
Halo SA and BF4 did that to me multiple times this week. Never had that before. After 6 tries orso of starting the game up it finally went past the splash screen.

I think you will find that most people who are into games and aren't raging fanboys will sooner or later own both consoles.

Yeah, I definitely have my preferences and am open about them, but I'm not an idiot. Good games are good games. Microsoft annoyed me with the reveal but have made a ton of good moves since then. I'm also very excited about ID@xbox as Chris Charla is one of my favorite people in the industry. I also had the OG xbox and 360 at midnight launch... so my "sony fanboyism" pushed this back a whole month!! lol

So I bought Forza, of course, played 3 races - love it. I can deal with the car count (i usually only end up with a couple hundred in forza/gt games. The low track count will wear on me after 50 or so hours. But I dont need/want to be a downer. On the track the game is FANTASTIC. Really happy with it.

I'm renting Ryse and Dead Rising 3. I have the 1 character version of killer instinct, xbox fitness, and some other stuff in my download queue. I get crazy good speeds on XBL (tests on psn give me 25 down, test on xbl gives me 55 - on my pc i get 100 down). So the huge updates for these games aren't an issue.

I kinda feel like the controller is a step back from the 360 controller but it's not like a piece of shit or anything. I'll adapt.

Kinect voice controls are neat... but i'd say my success rate is about 70% in my first couple hours. Hopefully that goes up as i get better at "kinect voice" and MS updates from their end. The UI is confusing. The complete opposite of the PS4 UI. I'm ok with that though, the PS4 is a streamlined gaming machine, this is more and I'm having fun figuring it all out. I like that both exist.

I had been saying before the launch that I figured Forza would be the best exclusive launch title for either company. I can't declare that after an hour with it but I think my hunch was right ;)

Really enjoying the system. It isn't perfect. Neither is the ps4. But it's fun (as is the ps4).

Bsigg12

Yeah, I definitely have my preferences and am open about them, but I'm not an idiot. Good games are good games. Microsoft annoyed me with the reveal but have made a ton of good moves since then. I'm also very excited about ID@xbox as Chris Charla is one of my favorite people in the industry. I also had the OG xbox and 360 at midnight launch... so my "sony fanboyism" pushed this back a whole month!! lol

So I bought Forza, of course, played 3 races - love it. I can deal with the car count (i usually only end up with a couple hundred in forza/gt games. The low track count will wear on me after 50 or so hours. But I dont need/want to be a downer. On the track the game is FANTASTIC. Really happy with it.

I'm renting Ryse and Dead Rising 3. I have the 1 character version of killer instinct, xbox fitness, and some other stuff in my download queue. I get crazy good speeds on XBL (tests on psn give me 25 down, test on xbl gives me 55 - on my pc i get 100 down). So the huge updates for these games aren't an issue.

I kinda feel like the controller is a step back from the 360 controller but it's not like a piece of shit or anything. I'll adapt.

Kinect voice controls are neat... but i'd say my success rate is about 70% in my first couple hours. Hopefully that goes up as i get better at "kinect voice" and MS updates from their end. The UI is confusing. The complete opposite of the PS4 UI. I'm ok with that though, the PS4 is a streamlined gaming machine, this is more and I'm having fun figuring it all out. I like that both exist.

I had been saying before the launch that I figured Forza would be the best exclusive launch title for either company. I can't declare that after an hour with it but I think my hunch was right ;)

Really enjoying the system. It isn't perfect. Neither is the ps4. But it's fun (as is the ps4).

Glad to hear you're liking it! I picked up a 360 controller yesterday to play Brothers on my PC and holy hell, the Xbox One controller just feels so much better in my hands. It's unreal how much more ergonomic the One controller actually is. Kinect will definitely get better. Just right now make sure to calibrate it with a pretty loud volume and it makes it better with a normal inside voice with no yelling.

Also, Titanfall is 3 months away!

Krilekk

Banned
Yeah, had the same experience today going back to 360 after four weeks (shit, time flies) with X1. The X1 controller is better.

Yeah, had the same experience today going back to 360 after four weeks (shit, time flies) with X1. The X1 controller is better.

Yeah, like I said... I'll adapt. And when I do I'm sure i'll feel the same way.

Ryse is awesome. Dead Rising seems like it will be fun but it also feels a bit, for lack of a better word... janky. I felt like I was fighting the camera. The inventory management was a pain (just picking up a dirt covered bagel to eat making me drop my shovel... stuff like that). But the violence is awesome and it's definitely not a bad game. I can see myself getting into it.

Killer Instinct is up next. Then the Zoo Tycoon demo :)

statham

after playing and loving DOA5U, I really hope they announce DOA6 soon. And after using the XBO controller for a month, going back to the 360 controller feels dated.

MrMephistoX

after playing and loving DOA5U, I really hope they announce DOA6 soon. And after using the XBO controller for a month, going back to the 360 controller feels dated.

I'd actually be fine with a DOA5U next gen and PC port since I missed out on it the first time...mind you I have the Vita + version.

Dega

Eeny Meenie Penis
Beat Max earlier (working on some eyes/secrets i missed) and I loved it. I hope MS gives these guys at Press Play a bigger budget/staff to work with next. Would love to see what they can do with that.

EBE

Beat Max earlier (working on some eyes/secrets i missed) and I loved it. I hope MS gives these guys at Press Play a bigger budget/staff to work with next. Would love to see what they can do with that.

definitely. show a lot of talent, those guys.

EBE

i want a 2d Blinx The Timesweeper platformer with some braid like puzzles,novel integration with Upload and Upload Studio, and sweet fur simulation (as i understand it, the original used the harddrive to record ones playthrough of a level)

Defect

My only complaints for the controller are the bumpers and the sticks are slightly loose compared to the 360.

Also it feels so cheap and fragile.

Overall it isn't that bad.

Varg

Banned
Just got the s ranking in dead rising 3. Awesome frigging game. Anyone who wants to add me on xbox live for some dead rising/ryse achievement hunting please do. Gamer tag is

I Try Hard Varg

I'm definitely surprised at all the flack it got from reviews. Sure, it's repetitive, but it just looks so gorgeous. It's like playing Gladiator the movie on console. Maybe not an oscar winner, but a damn fine popcorn flick.

Yea it's strange it got panned so universally. I could see 7s but its crazy how many 6s it under it got.

Prophezz

Banned
Yeah, like I said... I'll adapt. And when I do I'm sure i'll feel the same way.

Ryse is awesome. Dead Rising seems like it will be fun but it also feels a bit, for lack of a better word... janky. I felt like I was fighting the camera. The inventory management was a pain (just picking up a dirt covered bagel to eat making me drop my shovel... stuff like that). But the violence is awesome and it's definitely not a bad game. I can see myself getting into it.

Killer Instinct is up next. Then the Zoo Tycoon demo :)

Yeah going from the 360 to the XB1 takes time to adapt. I'm still getting used to the shoulder buttons (my finger gets cramped from holding the sprint button in DR3). And I agree with you on DR3's camera and inventory issues. It's tough to pick up the item you want that's next to another item and be precise with a horde of zombies around you. If you haven't already, you need to play co-op in this game (especially with a friend) because it makes the game that much more enjoyable! :)

I'm definitely surprised at all the flack it got from reviews. Sure, it's repetitive, but it just looks so gorgeous. It's like playing Gladiator the movie on console. Maybe not an oscar winner, but a damn fine popcorn flick.

I took all the reviews with a grain of salt (much like I did with Knack). Both are game styles that if you like them... they're awesome, if you don't they're "shallow" because reviewers can't think of a better word for a game in which they don't want to take the time to learn so they button mash their way to frustration.

I loved Knack, as a long time fan of 3d action platforms. And I'm fairly certain I will love Ryse as a fan of 3D action brawlers with intensely fucking awesome violence.

Anyone have a problem with bf4 where it bombs out after loading with an error code and stating it took to long to load?

I assumed it was because my internet is down due to an outage but I played single player last night offline without issue .

Put in ac4 straight after and that loaded fine .

On another note can I not access my settings when offline ? If so WTF.

U2NUMB

One of my favorite things to do now is check out my friends game clips and achievement progress via the smart glass app. The stats every game reports are great. Also as I mentioned having progress to achievements built into the so is fantastic.

These are the things for me that help set the one apart.

Bgamer90

Banned
I don't know if you guys noticed but this system is pretty fucking sweet.

I'm liking it.

I just like how no matter what your are doing on your TV, you are always connected to gaming in some way (well, that is if you have the system set up that way).

I think the suits really twisted that into "Xbox let's you control your TV with your voice!" when the actual implementation of many of the Xbox One features was simply "you're never away from your games".

Milennia

One of my favorite things to do now is check out my friends game clips and achievement progress via the smart glass app. The stats every game reports are great. Also as I mentioned having progress to achievements built into the so is fantastic.

These are the things for me that help set the one apart.

If I don't have an Xbox yet (feb i will), is it still possible to check videos etc of people via the app if you have them added via 360?

Bsigg12

I'm liking it.

I just like how no matter what your are doing on your TV, you are always connected to gaming in some way (well, that is if you have the system set up that way).

I think the suits really twisted that into "Xbox let's you control your TV with your voice!" when the actual implementation of many of the Xbox One features was simply "you're never away from your games".

Should have been the original pitch at the unveil. Being able to jump from watching this fantastic Cowboys Eagles game to Dead Rising 3 with little to no effort is amazing.

I'm one chapter from finishing Ryse and this game is such a blast. My only gripe is that the campaign is on the short side as I can easily see myself playing a few more chapters until a finale. I'm not finding too much repetitiveness so far, the combat is actually very entertaining and really takes some thinking on the higher difficulties.

Oh, and the 2nd to last Chapter (7 I think) was absolutely amazing, the cut-scenes, the scenarios, the atmosphere. Best one by far and one that I will remember months from now, thought it was a great memorable and fun chapter and brought out the "sooooooogoooood.jpg" moments.

How exactly does the TV thing work. I am assuming there is a sort of setup involved.

Under settings there is a tab (I think bottom right) that will let you calibrate TV, Cable, etc...

GavinGT

Banned
I'm one chapter from finishing Ryse and this game is such a blast. My only gripe is that the campaign is on the short side as I can easily see myself playing a few more chapters until a finale. I'm not finding too much repetitiveness so far, the combat is actually very entertaining and really takes some thinking on the higher difficulties.

You're in luck, since the final chapter is about 1/3 of the entire game's length (was for me, anyways).

I'd agree with this. The combat is fine, not being able to fail a QTE is a bit crap though. The timing for better combos is sweet, but I would still like to know I've stuffed something so badly it ends the execution. You can bet I'll be getting Ryse 2 though. I hope it stays in Rome.

I've found talking to my Xbox has been a bit hit or miss recently. I think it might be the background noise caused by an overhead fan running (I'm in Australia, it was 40 degrees celcius yesterday). Hilariously putting on an awful Keanu style accent increases its accuracy like 100%.

abadguy

Banned

Pretty much. That said i need to get the arcade stick soon, either that or take the plunge with they adapter that lets me play with my TE stick. I am getting too used to playing KI with a pad, that happened with DOA and i am basically unable to play that properly with my arcade stick.

I definitely think it has decent groundwork for a sequel. I'd rather it stuck to Rome though instead of the rumored "Knights of England" thing.

Wounded

New owner here too. Got Ryse, Forza and Dead Rising and very pleased with them all. Always been an Xbox guy, but got the PS4 originally. Love both consoles, the PS4 controller has improved the most (already loved the Xbox ones.)

Kinect doesn't always pick up my voice, not sure if it's something I'm doing wrong...I'll have to have a fiddle at some point and figure it all.

Ryse is definitely better than I had anticipated, obviously graphically it's superb, but despite it's reasonably basic combat system I'm still enjoying it's gameplay.

Anyone else still getting used to the bumpers? Only real complaint about the controller is that not all the button is pressable, that said, didn't notice it once during my time with it today.

SPDIF

New owner here too. Got Ryse, Forza and Dead Rising and very pleased with them all. Always been an Xbox guy, but got the PS4 originally. Love both consoles, the PS4 controller has improved the most (already loved the Xbox ones.)

Kinect doesn't always pick up my voice, not sure if it's something I'm doing wrong...I'll have to have a fiddle at some point and figure it all.

Ryse is definitely better than I had anticipated, obviously graphically it's superb, but despite it's reasonably basic combat system I'm still enjoying it's gameplay.

Anyone else still getting used to the bumpers? Only real complaint about the controller is that not all the button is pressable, that said, didn't notice it once during my time with it today.

It took me about a week. They felt pretty bad at first, but I just put that down to me using the 360 bumpers for so long. I eventually readjusted and they're fine now.

Top Bottom