• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox One Launch Thread [Thread being archived 1/1/14]

The new addition of challenges is pretty fun, but what's the point in the Ryse challenges when they give 0 reward? Killer Instict ones give KI credits, Forza give badges and titles, not sure about any of the others but Ryse ones do nothing.

Lima

The new addition of challenges is pretty fun, but what's the point in the Ryse challenges when they give 0 reward? Killer Instict ones give KI credits, Forza give badges and titles, not sure about any of the others but Ryse ones do nothing.

DR3 gives hats and other clothing items.

But they are fun to get. Achievements are achievements. Doesn't matter if they have gamerscore attached or not.

Just like achievements it will take some time to figure them out and use them for some cool stuff.

Redshirt

Banned
Right now, they're just for the fun of it and to decorate your wall of accomplishment, but I think they'd be more interesting if we had statistics to go along with them; something like rare, uncommon, common and so forth.

Lima

Right now, they're just for the fun of it and to decorate your wall of accomplishment, but I think they'd be more interesting if we had statistics to go along with them; something like rare, uncommon, common and so forth.

Yeah they should add what Sony did with the trophies on PS4. Show the percentage of people that unlocked an achievement.

Krakatoa

One thing I loved about the 360 was the way it stored controller preferences under your profile, Why did MS decide to remove this for the one. Now every game I have to go into and set it to inverted.

Not a big deal but it was the small things that made me love the 360.

On a plus side I love how quiet the machine is :)

Edit: stored or scored.

Iacobellis

One thing I loved about the 360 was the way it scored controller preferences under your profile, Why did MS decide to remove this for the one. Now every game I have to go into and set it to inverted.

I also liked how those preferences allowed you to go beyond a game's minimum or maximum sensitivity setting.

jpatez34

Neo Member
Just picked up a XBOX One! Installing Peggle 2, Killer Instinct and the Dead Rising 3 demo.
Already love the new controller but why isn't there any trail versions of XBOX Live Arcade games anymore? I really wanted to give Crimson Dragon a try :-(

Really looking forward to getting more games for this. Will deffo be picking up Forza 5 and DR3, might give Ryse a rental and of course all the future releases.

Also if anyone would like to add me as a friend my gamertag is: Lightbaine

theytookourjobz

Where does it show up when you complete a challenge? On your profile?

clav

Do you have a picture? My kinect shows three IR lights right next to each other in the middle of it and the Xbox Logo is light, just like the Xbox logo on the console itself, all the time.

Yes I do have picture. Also yes to the three IR lights. Voice commands work, too.

The only thing that doesn't work is waking the TV up, so I think the IR blaster is broken. I already configured the TV model in the settings, and the Kinect is right next to the TV base.

All right. I think I'm going to put in a request for the Kinect to be fixed as I don't even get the lightly lit Xbox Logo on it. The only time I see the Xbox logo light up is when it beams an IR sensor. This behavior is not normal right?

Giggzy

Yes I do have picture. Also yes to the three IR lights. Voice commands work, too.

The only thing that doesn't work is waking the TV up, so I think the IR blaster is broken. I already configured the TV model in the settings, and the Kinect is right next to the TV base.

All right. I think I'm going to put in a request for the Kinect to be fixed as I don't even get the lightly lit Xbox Logo on it. The only time I see the Xbox logo light up is when it beams an IR sensor. This behavior is not normal right?

Mine didn't work at first either. What I did to fix it was go into settings and uncheck the "Turn TV On/Off" box, back out of settings, reboot the console, then go back to settings and turn it back on and voilà, everything worked.

Hopefully it does the same for you.

You might want to get it fixed anyways though if the xbox logo light isn't working.

theytookourjobz

Same place as your achievements, IIRC.

I really hope they are able to make some changes to the achievement app. Having to click on each earned achievement to see what it was for is a little cumbersome and to be honest, launching a separate app to view an achievement kinda sucks.

Showed my sister in laws boyfriend Peggle 2, he's not really a gamer at all and doesn't own any consoles. He sat and played it for at least an hour, he then bought the original iOS game to get some Peggle action and I am hearing he's addicted to it.
Everyone loves a bit of Peggle, once you start it's hard to put down.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
Funniest way i've died on Max so far.

http://sdrv.ms/1jTG8ej

Could be useful for glitches maybe.

I kind of wish it didn't have the physics collision where Max gets semi-squished by falling branches and vines. At first it was "wow technology such detail" but now it's a minor annoyance.

Showed my sister in laws boyfriend Peggle 2, he's not really a gamer at all and doesn't own any consoles. He sat and played it for at least an hour, he then bought the original iOS game to get some Peggle action and I am hearing he's addicted to it.
Everyone loves a bit of Peggle, once you start it's hard to put down.

Peggle 2 is the key timed Xbox One exclusive of the generation and will influence the console wars for years to come.

VE3TRO

Formerly Gizmowned
So im connected to Live on the XB1 but it wont download the Ryse update saying there was a problem with the net connection.

Anyone else having this issue? More annoying you cant even skip and play offline like you could on 360.

So im connected to Live on the XB1 but it wont download the Ryse update saying there was a problem with the net connection.

Anyone else having this issue? More annoying you cant even skip and play offline like you could on 360.

You can technically go into settings and disconnect your wireless connection (or unplug your ethernet cable), and then it'd probably work. It's pretty dumb that someone has to do that though.

Otherwise, try the usual "hold power button and fully reboot Xbox, and see if it works then" approach.

VE3TRO

Formerly Gizmowned
You can technically go into settings and disconnect your wireless connection (or unplug your ethernet cable), and then it'd probably work. It's pretty dumb that someone has to do that though.

Otherwise, try the usual "hold power button and fully reboot Xbox, and see if it works then" approach.

Tried and wont work. Hot the same issue with Ac4. Also trying both Ryse and Ac4 offline also boot back to dash. Online settings are fine. 0% packet loss on both, 23ms latency and 50mb down and 11mb up.

If I uninstall the games my saves should be ok due to being in the cloud I hope lol.

CyReN

Uninstalled a game, took it out then put a new game in and the disc drive stopped working. Amazon will have a new one here on Tuesday.

malfcn

Okay I just had a big scare.

Turned on the xbox and had the green screen. Start checking out the TV menus so I don't r what is happening.
Go back and the TV is blank. No dashboard or anything. Console is unresponsive, and I cycle through inputs.
Hold down the home button and the screen sites activity and eventually the dashboard appears. I don't have auto sign in so I click sign in..
And the console asks me for my email to add a new account and shows no accounts. Exit and click sign in again and then they are there. Sign in and my child are default for a bit and then pop into place.
Anyone have this happen?

So only me?

Doodis

My parents came over to see my kids' Christmas gifts today. We played some Forza 5 and then I thought I'd show them how cool voice commands were on the new console.

Didn't work. At all.

Sigh.

My parents came over to see my kids' Christmas gifts today. We played some Forza 5 and then I thought I'd show them how cool voice commands were on the new console.

Didn't work. At all.

Sigh.

Hah. My nephews and niece saw me using voice commands and flipped out.

They then spent the next half hour just yelling anything they could think of at the tv.

They were disappointed to find it didnt work.

I told them it only responds to me.

Im a bad person.

Just noticed this while fooling around with smartglass but is anyone elses "time played" really off in the app? 739 hours seems a 'bit' high for Crimson Dragon.

G_Berry

Banned
One thing I loved about the 360 was the way it stored controller preferences under your profile, Why did MS decide to remove this for the one. Now every game I have to go into and set it to inverted.

Edit: stored or scored.
As an inverted player, the removal of that feature is very disappointing.

You're probably right, too many "yes men" during their dog fooding and didn't want to get in trouble.

Naw, I've known a few people who worked at Microsoft, the problem isn't people not bringing up issues, the problem is those people getting totally ignored by the development teams. Many internal people for example said Windows 8 needed the option to launch to desktop and a fake Start Button to switch between desktop and Metro interface, MS ignored them until after the release when it was affecting sales.

But in this case, I just think the entire system was super-rushed to market. It just seems to be missing a lot of little things, or has lots of bugs or the interface isn't consistent and stuff. Like it was launched a few months early.

MarkusRJR

I'm honestly so surprised how cool the Xbox One runs compared to the Xbox 360. My 360 S spits out such hot air it's insane the more powerful console is cooler.

theytookourjobz

I'm honestly so surprised how cool the Xbox One runs compared to the Xbox 360. My 360 S spits out such hot air it's insane the more powerful console is cooler.

The Xbox One is huge but it's cool and super quiet--which are much bigger deals to me.

Also, the comparison screens for games between you and a friend is pretty cool. Shows more than just what achievements you've got but also, using Ryse as an example, how many kills you have and how much valor each player has earned.

Really enjoying Ryse and Dead Rising 3, both excellent launch games imo. I have some issues with the conveniences and design of the OS at the moment but there is potential and of course updates will be made for it.

One thing I would like to see is some better rewards for challenges such as gamer pics and eventually themes. The current list of gamer pics are ok imo but I would like to see some game specific ones thrown in there and challenges would be a nice way to get them I suppose.

Hawk269

I was able to exchange the power supply to my 2nd Xbox One and it is really quiet like my Day One Edition console. The console is also whisper quiet like the launch system which was a big relief to me.

I really like how all I had to do is put in my email and password and it downloaded and set up my UI just like I have on my main console. The only issue at times is when I play a game on earthier console, when I go to the other one and play the same game it has to do the game save sync, but at times this takes a little while depending on the game. Forza 5 seems to take the longest, but I learned that if I hit "cancel" and then resume it, it does it really quick.

Overall though, even with the sync issue, it is pretty cool how they set it all up and made it so easy to run 2 consoles.

I did notice that all kinds of things break if you have multiple users.

For example, I'm playing Killer Instinct. My wife walks over, it signs her in, "a sign in change occurred" - kicks be back to the title screen even though I was in the middle of a match.

I'm playing Forza, my wife pulls out her smartphone and presses the Xbox 'jewel' button - I get thrown to her Home screen. Why there are no restrictions considering what is happening on the console itself and who is using it etc. is beyond me. (We did if as a test - my wife isn't malicious lol)

The multiuser stuff ATM is pretty messy.

SegaManAU

For example, I'm playing Killer Instinct. My wife walks over, it signs her in, "a sign in change occurred" - kicks be back to the title screen even though I was in the middle of a match.

I'm playing Forza, my wife pulls out her smartphone and presses the Xbox 'jewel' button - I get thrown to her Home screen. Why there are no restrictions considering what is happening on the console itself and who is using it etc. is beyond me. (We did if as a test - my wife isn't malicious lol)

Amazing this stuff wasn't figured out when doing R&D.

I know you can restrict 2nd screen control, but I agree multiple sign in is a bit messy. It also like to sign in my daughter randomly.

Lima

I really like how all I had to do is put in my email and password and it downloaded and set up my UI just like I have on my main console. The only issue at times is when I play a game on earthier console, when I go to the other one and play the same game it has to do the game save sync, but at times this takes a little while depending on the game. Forza 5 seems to take the longest, but I learned that if I hit "cancel" and then resume it, it does it really quick.

That is mostly because Forza always had a save game in the 50-100mb range so I can only imagine Forza 5 being the same.

Top Bottom