• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Zuck announces $12/month blue check for Facebook and Instagram

DanteFox

BsMQELW.jpg
I like how the price is blatantly gouging iPhone users more. Hahaha. They know they part with their money easily.

Tieno

Facebook makes ~$50/month per US user on average. Rest assured that paid blue check users will still be the product.
yep, they want all the money. So it'll be ads plus your subscription money for whatever features they think they can get you paying.

Nobody_Important

“Aww, it’s so...average,” she said to him in a cold brick of passion
These tech companies basically just openly extorting businesses now with these new "pay to protect" tiers of service.

Its fucking ridiculous lol

Cyberpunkd

I like how the price is blatantly gouging iPhone users more. Hahaha. They know they part with their money easily.
I’m sure it’s because of iOS tax. You can still subscribe on the web for the lower price, the feature will carry over to FB app.
Many games and even DLCs are like that, just buy them in your browser.

Last edited:

jufonuk

not tag worthy
Double the income stream. Sell our data. Advertise/commercials now of you want subscription services

If this becomes mandatory I'm gonna just logout my accounts.

Nobody_Important

“Aww, it’s so...average,” she said to him in a cold brick of passion
Facebook and Twitter: Inflation is up? Gas prices are up? Certain foods are more expensive? The majority of the country is living paycheck to paycheck? Then by god lets charge for something that was free/didn't exist before that literally no one needs and that can only hurt our image and damage the good will we have spent years building up! Surely this is a good business decision!

v7g6u9t.jpg

Last edited:

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
Thank God my last social media experienxe was Myspace. Keeping up with all this crap has to exhausting

I know all of you trapped into Social Media and no way to escape it anymore. That must suck
I wonder how many like me never did a Facebook or Social Media, and I was born in the 90's.

They should do a Study Science on us. I bet there would be some things there lol

What song did you embed in the background of your profile?

Goalus

It is a great way to expose Apple's greed. More popular services should do exactly that.

Make Apple users pay double the price via native app - always. Every iPhone has a web browser, so Apple users can easily avoid playing double the price unless they are too stupid.

Last edited:

supernova8

I'm probably not important enough for someone to want impersonate me, plus I have no intention of giving Facebook money knowing they have spent the last 10+ years (or however long I've been on there) collecting and selling my data to the highest bidder. They can fuck right off.

I'm surprised how many people seem to have opted to pay for the blue tick on Twitter. Do people really give that much of a shit?

Last edited:
Thought it was a joke at first.

To be honest, I'm all for it if it pushes people to abandon Facebook. In fact, I think Zuck should force everyone to pay for Facebook, Instagram, and WhatsApp.

I despise Facebook and the sooner the world is rid of it the better.

Thank God my last social media experienxe was Myspace. Keeping up with all this crap has to exhausting

I know all of you trapped into Social Media and no way to escape it anymore. That must suck
I wonder how many like me never did a Facebook or Social Media, and I was born in the 90's.

They should do a Study Science on us. I bet there would be some things there lol
Deep under the sea Myspace Tom waits dreaming. When the stars are right He will emerge and feast.

Lasha

Thought it was a joke at first.

To be honest, I'm all for it if it pushes people to abandon Facebook. In fact, I think Zuck should force everyone to pay for Facebook, Instagram, and WhatsApp.

I despise Facebook and the sooner the world is rid of it the better.

We used to pay for Whatsapp. It was originally like a dollar per year.

Facebook and Twitter: Inflation is up? Gas prices are up? Certain foods are more expensive? The majority of the country is living paycheck to paycheck? Then by god lets charge for something that was free/didn't exist before that literally no one needs and that can only hurt our image and damage the good will we have spent years building up! Surely this is a good business decision!

v7g6u9t.jpg
And thats why so many people are broke. They buy dumb ass shit. The only accounts I can see on Twitter or Meta doing blue verified badges are celebs, politicians and companies. Along with maybe their CEO if it's a company where that person is a figurehead kind of role (ie. Richard Branson kind of guy). Paying $100-150/yr to ensure people know that account is the official page can be important.

Why the hell noname Bobby Broke Ass and Sketchy Sally want to waste their time and money on this who knows.

Out of all the Meta profiles, if they can get 1M annual subs, that's a cool $144M per year. And all they did was add a blue badge. Crazy. But social media addicts will probably eat it up.

Last edited:

Wildebeest

So get this, someone steals your personal information, sells it to everyone who will pay, including foreign tyrants and other criminals, and then for the privilege of being stolen from, they ask you to pay 12 bucks a month, so they can verify the information they are stealing is genuine. And people hand the money over without having their arms broken!

DR3AM

A lot of influencers want to have the blue verification checkmark next to their name. Easy money for Meta. I expect a lot more ads on those accounts.

Blade2.0

You know what they say, if youre not paying for these services, then you aren't the customer, you are the product. I would rather these services had always been subscription based rather than turning into massive spying operations for every element of our lives.
But now you get to pay for a checkmark and be spied on.

Clear

They should be paying you with how much data they harvest and sell on ya.

I know LOL. This is hilarious!

Its weird to think that back in the day one of the key selling points about the internet was that you could be anonymous. Nowadays they are not only encouraging people to give all of that anonymity way, but actually charging people for it!

Strange days indeed.

Top Bottom