• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2 wheel GAF UNITE!

Wolfe

It's about 500 miles or so one way. Depending on where I'd want to go.

That's about the situation I'm in being in the bay area, and having done the Seattle to Napa (basically, northern bay area) ride a couple times when visiting back home I don't really have the desire to do it again for just an eclipse, and if I did I would take 101 as opposed to 5 but that would take longer and I don't really have the savings atm to be able to afford that even if I wanted to.

Maybe I'll make sure I've got the time and money for the one in 2024 or whenever lol. Think I'll only have to go all the way to Texas for that one...

Dougald

I say do it. I was able to catch the last one in the UK in 1999 (and there won't be another here until 2090!).

It's not that amazing but it's a good excuse to ride out, grab a cheap hotel or AirBNB and take the opportunity. You may never be able to again...

OraleeWey

Looks like it might not be possible after all. Everything around the path in SC is taken and whatever is left has absurd prices.

I'll do some more digging on the internet when I get home... For now, it ain't looking good.

OraleeWey

If there's any bike made for carrying a tent it's gotta be the KLR

Looks like there will be some low-capacity Triumphs coming out soon...
I'm curious to see what they'll come up with.

Yeah, I heard on the radio that some airbnbs are charging $10k a night for the eclipse. I also vote for camping.
Camping is opening a whole different can of worms for me. I'm not experienced. I'll do some research and see if it's possible and if I can prepare myself in time I'll do it.

Ocho

The more I look at the SV650, the more I want it. Taking a course in two weeks, getting my license after, and then scheduling a test drive.

Maedre

Banned
The more I look at the SV650, the more I want it. Taking a course in two weeks, getting my license after, and then scheduling a test drive.

The SV650 is a really good package. If it had traction control I would buy one. But I think the new Street Triple R will be my next.

Does anyone have experience with android phone navigation apps that can 1. generate a twisty road route on the fly 2. import gpx files and 3. once you have imported a gpx file - navigate to the start of that track without catching on fire?

I've been researching a couple of hours and it's already driving me up the walls.

Dougald

It's a great little bike - a Ducati Monster without the pretentiousness
I am aware of the irony as a Monster owner
or pricetag. They even run (heavily modified) versions in the Lightweight TT

Hell I've been riding for 6 years and currently own a much more powerful bike, and I'd still happily have an SV as my only ride

Does anyone have experience with android phone navigation apps that can 1. generate a twisty road route on the fly 2. import gpx files and 3. once you have imported a gpx file - navigate to the start of that track without catching on fire?

I've been researching a couple of hours and it's already driving me up the walls.

I'm afraid I just use a paper map and get lost. Though if you find one (that's also on iOS) I'd love to hear about it. Be nice to generate a twisty route back to the Eurotunnel next week. Although I suspect that area of Belgium is flat as a pancake...

I'm afraid I just use a paper map and get lost. Though if you find one (that's also on iOS) I'd love to hear about it. Be nice to generate a twisty route back to the Eurotunnel next week. Although I suspect that area of Belgium is flat as a pancake...

There's one on iOS that I can't try because I'm on Android, it's called 'Scenic'.

So yeah, I can't test it, but I hear good things, so you could give it a shot.

Thanks, yes, that's one of the ones I was looking at. Haven't been able to test it yet because the app doesn't respond when I try to buy some maps. It looks good (the features), but I'm hesitant to spend money on something where they can't even get the part to work that's supposed to make them money.

Still, if I can get it to work, I'll report back with my findings.

OraleeWey

There's one on iOS that I can't try because I'm on Android, it's called 'Scenic'.

So yeah, I can't test it, but I hear good things, so you could give it a shot.

Thanks, yes, that's one of the ones I was looking at. Haven't been able to test it yet because the app doesn't respond when I try to buy some maps. It looks good (the features), but I'm hesitant to spend money on something where they can't even get the part to work that's supposed to make them money.

Still, if I can get it to work, I'll report back with my findings.

Ok, this is the other option I know. https://kurviger.de/en
Does that help ?

OraleeWey

Alright, so that app totally works. Thanks for the tip, OraleeWey. Good stuff!

giphy.gif

Which one of the two worked,
though?

Dougald

Kurviger doesn't have an iOS app, serves me right for owning an iPhone really

Scenic seems... okay (it picked out the best stretch of road I know of in East Berkshire anyway, so its not totally useless). I might load it up on Wednesday and see what it suggests.

Dougald

Finished extensively prepping my bike for wednesday

img_1875acbak.jpg

Ok I just put a sticker on the back, pumped up the tyres and took off the seat cowl.

They got you a pretty good spot it seems. Be honest though, how fast are you going to be hurrying back upon arrival to make sure nobody rakes their suitcase across the bike?

Dougald

I'll post up a couple of photos tomorrow but for now I'll say that apparently French customs are taking after North Korea in that if they see you have a switched off GoPro they demand you wipe the entire SD card... Next time I cross the border I'll just pocket it. Weird as British customs (who are usually strict as hell) didn't give a shit, and even weirder as the French didnt even ask me to take my helmet off

Good little trip otherwise

So do they transport the bikes on trailers? Or clean them again once they get wherever they're going? Those bikes are very pretty but the overly cleaned look always comes off a bit precious to me.

That Kawasaki looks like a beast. Reminds me of playing Horizon: Zero Dawn for some reason :p.

OraleeWey

I'll post up a couple of photos tomorrow but for now I'll say that apparently French customs are taking after North Korea in that if they see you have a switched off GoPro they demand you wipe the entire SD card... Next time I cross the border I'll just pocket it. Weird as British customs (who are usually strict as hell) didn't give a shit, and even weirder as the French didnt even ask me to take my helmet off

Good little trip otherwise

That sucks. But just in case, it would probably be a good idea to have a secondary useless micro SD card to "wipe" off. Just so that there's no suspicion of you hiding the original one...

Went out tonight, saw a few nice bikes.

Sy5KLA6.jpg
I like the Kawasaki one : )

GAF I need your advice on a Kawasaki Versys 1000 I am looking at.

Ok, so I might have an opportunity that I cant pass up but......

A local dealer has the bike on sale for cheap...I mean very cheap, roughly $4700 off list. I ask for an OTD quote with the breakdown of the charges and there is a $1043 prep/freight charge on there. Now the bike is still basically at a price point where other dealers have marked them down to move them BEFORE any of the tax and license and its still roughly $2700 off of normal list....but good lord, that prep and freight charge is astronomical.

Should I balk at it? Or take the deal regardless because, well, its still a damn good deal?

OraleeWey

GAF I need your advice on a Kawasaki Versys 1000 I am looking at.

Ok, so I might have an opportunity that I cant pass up but......

A local dealer has the bike on sale for cheap...I mean very cheap, roughly $4700 off list. I ask for an OTD quote with the breakdown of the charges and there is a $1043 prep/freight charge on there. Now the bike is still basically at a price point where other dealers have marked them down to move them BEFORE any of the tax and license and its still roughly $2700 off of normal list....but good lord, that prep and freight charge is astronomical.

Should I balk at it? Or take the deal regardless because, well, its still a damn good deal?

what's the total price?

What year? LT version (with the panniers) ?

The LT is the only option they sell for the 1000 here in the states, so yeah. Its got the panniers and its a left over 2016

the dealer said it was purchased at auction from another dealer who could not move the inventory, which is how they are selling it for so cheap.

EDIT: Ive been bait and switched. This is a USED bike despite being listed on their website as new, the individual page says its new, and they said that it was shipped to them in a crate.

2ND EDIT: apparently not a bait and switch but a confusion on stock numbers...the offer still stands. What makes me leary is I would have to fly down to go get the bike and ride home

Stevey

So do they transport the bikes on trailers? Or clean them again once they get wherever they're going? Those bikes are very pretty but the overly cleaned look always comes off a bit precious to me.

That Kawasaki looks like a beast. Reminds me of playing Horizon: Zero Dawn for some reason :p.
We ride them to the meets, they're usually in like a 20-30mile radius from our houses so not a long ride, never seen anyone clean a bike at a meet, just clean them at home.
Never ride them in the rain is the key.
Got half way to one the other week and turned round to avoid the rain.
But like my dads Scrambler was only rebuilt this year, so in reality its as clean as a brand new bike would be.

Dougald

That sucks. But just in case, it would probably be a good idea to have a secondary useless micro SD card to "wipe" off. Just so that there's no suspicion of you hiding the original one...

In future I'll just pocket it, but it doesn't make much sense to me as they didn't care about it on the UK side when I left (in fact the french customs chap there didn't even bother looking at my passport). The setup at Eurotunnel, by the way is you actually "cross the border" before you get on the train, so once you're at the other side you ride straight out onto the motorway. It's not like you can see the tollbooths in Google Maps ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I might be able to recover the footage anyway, I don't have a Bachelors in Computer Science for nothing...

They got you a pretty good spot it seems. Be honest though, how fast are you going to be hurrying back upon arrival to make sure nobody rakes their suitcase across the bike?

The tunnel is far less luxurious than that - there isn't a seating area, you are supposed to sit in the car, so in practice that means sitting on the floor or leaning against the wall for 25 minutes on the bike. They load all the bikes up last for safety, so you just have to sit on the station platform until the cars are all onboard

img_1879qas9q.jpg

Dougald

Anyway, the trip... It was good, though I was about dead when I got back last night. Unfortunately I got caught in traffic on the way up, and then my exhaust viciously attacked and melted my cordura trousers at a petrol station meaning I had to make a small detour to buy some duct tape to patch it! I just managed to make the cut-off for my train check-in, but they put us on a slightly later crossing which was then delayed, meaning instead of a quick lunch in Bruges we got a nice ride through the city centre before heading back

Anyway, as most of the footage I got was possibly confiscated by zealous French customs officials (I'll have a go at getting the Bruges footage later), here's some okay pics

img_1878eys6n.jpg

img_18849gsa0.jpg

img_18901esb0.jpg

I met a bloke on the tunnel on the way back who'd had his R1150RT shipped over to Germany from Wisconsin and was riding through Europe. He was headed all the way to the top of Scotland, then back down to the Isle of Man for the Manx TT. What a lucky bastard

In Summary:

- The tunnel is still the way to travel across the channel on a bike (but take your GoPro off)
- You can ride all the way to Belgium and back from where I live in a day, but you probably shouldn't
- You can tour on a Ducati Monster, but you probably shouldn't. The pain!
- Belgians may drive like crazy but when there's traffic they all move out the way for bikes. All the British tourists blocked me on purpose which was about right.
- If you get upgraded to an earlier train and the other bike in your group doesn't, just go to that train anyway. The guys running the ticket check can't be arsed to make every biker stop, take their gloves off, rummage in their pockets for the ticket and hand it over

Great update and thanks for sharing the photos. We went to Bruge twice and really enjoyed it. Its great to have the option to get to EU on the train as I really dont mind the 25min stand. Last time the one guy I met on the train he was rolling him some cigarettes.

Top Bottom