• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2 wheel GAF UNITE!

Managed to convince my mate to get his bike out of the garage and meet me at Loomies on Sunday for a catch up. I just hope the bike makes it as its been services in Dec 2016 and not been driven. oooh

Maedre

Banned
I did it.

i just bought a Triumph Street Triple RS. I will get her in two weeks.
2017triumphstreettripiozpc.jpg

SatansReverence

Hipster Princess
Got my baby back today. Couldn't be happier even though they didn't replace my "L" plate. Even went for a british ride in the middle of heavy rains haha.

jnYmVbw.jpg

YJ6Z4C2.jpg

I did it.

i just bought a Triumph Street Triple RS. I will get her in two weeks.

Contratulations! That's a great bike. One of the best probably.

Got my baby back today. Couldn't be happier even though they didn't replace my "L" plate. Even went for a british ride in the middle of heavy rains haha.

Nice. Careful out there ;).

The tunnel is far less luxurious than that - there isn't a seating area, you are supposed to sit in the car, so in practice that means sitting on the floor or leaning against the wall for 25 minutes on the bike. They load all the bikes up last for safety, so you just have to sit on the station platform until the cars are all onboard

Ah, that's perfect actually.

Anyway, the trip... It was good, though I was about dead when I got back last night. Unfortunately I got caught in traffic on the way up, and then my exhaust viciously attacked and melted my cordura trousers at a petrol station meaning I had to make a small detour to buy some duct tape to patch it! I just managed to make the cut-off for my train check-in, but they put us on a slightly later crossing which was then delayed, meaning instead of a quick lunch in Bruges we got a nice ride through the city centre before heading back

img_18849gsa0.jpg

So you did it one day? There and back?

And with your SO or were you travelling alone?

Dougald

So you did it one day? There and back?

And with your SO or were you travelling alone?

Yep just about - it was pretty tight as our outbound train was delayed - I should have booked a slightly earlier crossing in hindsight. Mrs Dougald followed on the BMW, was her first time driving on the "correct" side of the road!

If you ever do decide to do that trip to Scotland, I'd probably take the Ferry from the Netherlands though. Probably takes longer, but a lot less riding, and it spits you out North of London so you don't have to cross that mess of a road system

Maedre

Banned
So I left my CB500F today. Took a last tour from Hamm to Dortmund where my Triumph retailer is.

img_09414tugv.jpg

In 10 days I can collect my new RS.

img_0942lcufh.jpg

Only 10 days...

OraleeWey

jnYmVbw.jpg

YJ6Z4C2.jpg
Nice. I like that bike. So your insurance company decided to fix it?

Yep just about - it was pretty tight as our outbound train was delayed - I should have booked a slightly earlier crossing in hindsight. Mrs Dougald followed on the BMW, was her first time driving on the "correct" side of the road!

If you ever do decide to do that trip to Scotland, I'd probably take the Ferry from the Netherlands though. Probably takes longer, but a lot less riding, and it spits you out North of London so you don't have to cross that mess of a road system
Good stuff. Thanks for sharing. It sounds like it didn't rain. The perfect day to go out for a nice ride.
So I left my CB500F today. Took a last tour from Hamm to Dortmund where my Triumph retailer is.

img_09414tugv.jpg

In 10 days I can collect my new RS.

img_0942lcufh.jpg

Only 10 days...
Unfortunately 1 second = 1 year. It will be tough. Hang in there!

Dougald

Good stuff. Thanks for sharing. It sounds like it didn't rain. The perfect day to go out for a nice ride.

Yeah, totally worth it. I think the bloke I met who had his R1150RT shipped over from Wisconsin and was halfway through a month-long tour of Europe had the right idea, though. All he knew is he wanted to be in the Isle of Man by next week for the Manx GP

OraleeWey

Yeah, totally worth it. I think the bloke I met who had his R1150RT shipped over from Wisconsin and was halfway through a month-long tour of Europe had the right idea, though. All he knew is he wanted to be in the Isle of Man by next week for the Manx GP

To be honest with you, I don't really watch that stuff. I say "stuff" because I don't really know how to properly address it. That's a long way for him though, I'm sure he's happy out there. I know I would be.

Dougald

I think being there is definitely more of an experience than watching it on TV. Especially the Isle of Man, being a street course and all

Great working-class heritage here too, a lot less money in the TT and Manx than most motorsport. Hell, even the "famous" Guy Martin was does it on the weekends while he spends his weekdays as a Lorry mechanic

OraleeWey

I think being there is definitely more of an experience than watching it on TV. Especially the Isle of Man, being a street course and all

Great working-class heritage here too, a lot less money in the TT and Manx than most motorsport. Hell, even the "famous" Guy Martin was does it on the weekends while he spends his weekdays as a Lorry mechanic

I think I know the course a little bit though. From the video game Gran Turismo 5 :p
Edit: Maybe not, I might be experiencing the Mandela effect

OraleeWey

You're probably thinking of the Nurburgring?
Definitely not. I definitely know Nurburgring Nordschleife. It's the track that I've always wanted to go to, which is in Germany.
But never will

I don't know where I remember Isle Of Man from though. It's gotta be some game I played.

By any chance did the person you spoke to go to Nurburgring?

Had a nice run out to Loomies on Sunday with a mate. He managed to get the VFR 800 out of the shed at last. Was great weather and man what allot of bikes at the Cafe. Going to have to do that again soon. That tack hero breakfast was awesome.

Dougald

Was it busy? Loomies has always been packed with bikes to the point of me being quadruple parked whenever I've been on a weekend

My X1 Lightning just survived another motorcycle trip to the German Eifel. Think we did about 700km in a single weekend. Would have been more had one of our buddies not crashed his bike during the first few corners of the actual tour we had planned for Saturday. Still, he's alright and that's what is most important. His Triumph couldn't go on though, was leaking oil from the left engine case cover.

I'll post some of the pics I did make tomorrow.

As for the X1, it's due for some new tires I think. Debated not replacing them just yet, but I'm quite sure I'll be seeing the threads again when I take it to the Ventoux in September (like with the Uly last year).

Gyaaah, think I flooded my moped's engine. I was on my way home from work and came to a complete stop at a stop sign, and the moped died. Tried kickstarting it, let it sit and tried it again, nada. Fortunately my friends were around and scooped me and the moped up. After we got it back home, I tried starting it and it did start; then I shut it off and retried it and it didn't work.

I just refilled the tank today, so I'm hoping it's just flooded and not a jacked up starter or electrical system. Here's hoping it'll start tomorrow.

Maedre

Banned
So jealous. Congrats man. That's such a cool bike. My Triumph dealer keeps tempting me with one. It's getting harder to say no.

Wednesday is the day. But i still has to pass the IRCA Auditor Test tomorrow. Its hard to learn when this bike is all i can think off.

There are so many out there its the best to go out and try as many on as you can. If you find a pair you like that works for your climate then go to a bike and grip the handle to make sure you have a comfortable feel. Remember leather gloves will stretch a bit.

Good luck

Dougald

Make sure you get a comfortable size. I suggest trying them on, or if you can't do that, get a flexible tape measure and measure around your hand to find your size.

For my part I swear by Dainese but they're expensive. Gauntlet-style gloves are safer than the short ones, but shorter gloves are better for hot climates, so pick your poison.

Ocho

Cool, thanks for your recommendations. I think I'll grab a cheap $10 pair from Amazon that look like my size and use those for the class, and can buy something more serious after.

Dougald

$10 seems a little cheap, but anything is better than no gloves. Just make sure they are designed for motorcycle use. A bee hitting your hand at 60mph hurts enough with gloves on!

Gloves are that one item of bike gear I keep buying more of. I think my first pair cost me 20 quid, and now I have dozens of the things knocking around in the garage. I'm actually looking at buying a new pair of waterproof gloves as we speak, ha.

I think I'm up to five, although two are retired, a cheap pair of Icons that disintegrated in the palm, and a cheap pair of Olympus that were for winter and had no protection/etc. as such. The middle pair is a super tacky overly-armored gauntlet set that I never use, and now I have a nice pair of A* winter gloves (archer) and summer gloves (gp plus r).

$10 seems a little cheap, but anything is better than no gloves. Just make sure they are designed for motorcycle use. A bee hitting your hand at 60mph hurts enough with gloves on!

Gloves are that one item of bike gear I keep buying more of. I think my first pair cost me 20 quid, and now I have dozens of the things knocking around in the garage. I'm actually looking at buying a new pair of waterproof gloves as we speak, ha.

Did that too the week before last, before I went to Germany. So much rain was expected that I decided to get a couple of Alpinestars goretex gloves. 100 euros and they worked. Kept my hands dry in world ending amounts of rain.

Fucking gorgeous, congrats.

Scotch and I went down to the local dealer last Sunday for a KTM test ride event. While we were there we checked out the Triumph section as well, sat on the new Striple and confirmed again that yes, the seating position is perfection.

Once you've settled in, broke in the engine, gotten a feel for the bike and all that, I would love to hear how those tires are. They look fucking sick, that's for sure.

Maedre

Banned
Fucking gorgeous, congrats.

Scotch and I went down to the local dealer last Sunday for a KTM test ride event. While we were there we checked out the Triumph section as well, sat on the new Striple and confirmed again that yes, the seating position is perfection.

Once you've settled in, broke in the engine, gotten a feel for the bike and all that, I would love to hear how those tires are. They look fucking sick, that's for sure.

Even with my first 100 km I can tell that this tires are really awesome. The bike felt like it was glued to the street.

I will give my review after the first inspection. All I can think about Is driving this piece of perfection. Tomorrow O’Neil check the northern Ruhr-Area.

Dougald

I really, really love those new headlights. The change from the original round lights to the previous-gens bugeye just never sat right with the look of the bike to me. Combined with the new-style low exhaust rather than the underseats my old Triple had makes for a really slick look. I see you have the superior belly pan + flyscreen combination too

There were a couple of new Striples at the bike cafe on Sunday, still a great looking ride. My Ducati hit 6500 miles on the way back (and behaved very well apart from near-enough melting my arse as usual)

Ocho

I decided to get some proper gloves and shoes for my safety course this weekend, I'm excited.

I keep looking at bikes and I feel like the Yamaha XSR900 is the sexiest one I've seen but I read it's not a good first bike. What do you guys particularly think about this? Can someone not learn and adapt quick enough? I feel like it's all about how powerful they are and newbies won't be able to control them well.

For background, I'm 28 years old and pretty careful when driving cars.

Edit: I'm not really considering that bike since it's over my budget. I bring it up just to see what you guys think.

Edit 2: Is ABS mandatory?

OraleeWey

I decided to get some proper gloves and shoes for my safety course this weekend, I'm excited.

I keep looking at bikes and I feel like the Yamaha XSR900 is the sexiest one I've seen but I read it's not a good first bike. What do you guys particularly think about this? Can someone not learn and adapt quick enough? I feel like it's all about how powerful they are and newbies won't be able to control them well.

For background, I'm 28 years old and pretty careful when driving cars.

Edit: I'm not really considering that bike since it's over my budget. I bring it up just to see what you guys think.

Edit 2: Is ABS mandatory?

There's nothing wrong with starting with a big bike. Assuming you're responsible enough. With that being said though, I have learned that riding a motorcycle with bigger displacements leave less room for errors. A simple error on a small displacement motorcycle can perhaps be corrected easier and not be catastrophic than it can be on a bigger displacement motorcycle. Riding a motorcycle is also a whole lot different than driving a car. It's not even the same thing at all. At times, the contact patch between motorcycle tires and the road can be as small as a credit card. Crazy if you think about it. Starting with a smaller bike can be just as fun and reward you with a better learning experience. That's what it basically boils down to. You'll learn a lot when you are taking the MSF Course. Don't sweat it, it's a fun learning experience. Don't be afraid to ask any questions. The instructors are your friends.

Without ABS, if you are in a situation where you grab the front brake and lock the front wheel, it basically means you will go down. ABS will prevent the front wheel from locking up in such a situation like that. It can be very helpful and I don't really see a reason not to have ABS. Unless you are riding off road... You don't want ABS in that case... But that's a different situation. Here's a video that demonstrates ABS on vs off.

https://youtu.be/dJ_UkAFW6cA

It's not really mandatory but you have to keep in mind at all times that you don't have ABS and brake accordingly. I have locked the front tire a few times. Luckily I did not go down. I reacted quick enough and let go. I was surprised by how little it takes to lock the front tire (in the rain). So, when/if I get another motorcycle, ABS is a high priority for me.

Honestly, I like this video. It really puts into perspective how fast fast bike can be. I'm pretty sure I've said that before. It's worth you watching it. It's only like 10 minutes long. Here it is.
https://youtu.be/BglzNAML78M

I'm off to watching it again after I post this...

Dougald

The XSR900 is a big Triple, I'd have probably killed myself on one if I'd started out on an engine like that, and I live in the UK where you have to pass a safety course, a written test and two practical tests to get a license

As for ABS, anyone who tells you that they can brake better without it (in regular driving) is at best delusional. I'd get it if you can but it's by no means mandatory. My current bike is actually my 5th, and it's the first I've had with ABS.

You've probably read this:

http://www.cycleworld.com/yamaha-xsr900-is-great-but-it-isnt-bike-you-want#page-6

but it makes sense.

The odds are good you'll be fine on the XSR900 (but it is very powerful and needs to be approached responsibly, especially when you're still lacking the necessary experience. On the upside, a triple also delivers its power in a linear manner), but the FZ-07 with its 700cc twin would be an even better choice to get started on. All of its power is down nice and low in the rev range, it's delivered in a predictable manner and there's not too much of it. The FZ-07 is quite a bit lighter as well (almost 14 kilos), which will increase your confidence.

As for ABS, Doug has it right.

Maedre

Banned
I would alwasys go with ABS. If you want to start with a Bike like the XSR900 (awesome looking bike) you should choose the one with ABS. There is a reason why it is mandator in Europe.
As someone who startet on a Honda Rebel 125 (Age 16), moved on to a 500cc Honda CB500F and then switched to my new Street Triple yesterday I can say that i would have killed myself with the Street on my first ride.

I asume you are an US citizen. The US driving test are so unfit for trainig someone to drive a motorcycle, i would start with a bike with much less power and do some extra Motorcycle driving lessons.
I was always against the German/European System that made id hard for beginners to ride the big bikes. But since yesterday i can understand it.

Edit:

Yes the FZ/MT-07 is a way better starting bike.

But i would also look into the Suzuki SV650 or Honda CB500/650F/R range.

Edit2: Yes the XSR700 would be perfect too.

When I think back and try to compile my driving experiences through my bikes, I really have to appreciate the low power times. I learned how to squeeze every last kW out of the engines, learned how to corner, learned to countersteer in difficult situations, had my first unwanted meeting with the asphalt (The scars on my knees are still there and it was just a low speed corner breaking without ABS).
You can learn so much on a forgiving low power maschine that would be extremely dangerous on a high power Bike like the XSR900. On the smaller bikes you learn to drive and on the bigger bikes lateron you learn to manage the power.

Dougald

As a beginner it's so easy to just look at the engine displacement and assume that's indicative of power output. While it usually is to some extent, it's not quite true

I started on a Bonneville 800 and that's a far slower and more beginner-friendly bike than say, a CBR600RR, Street Triple 675, or many other things with less displacement. Fallout has it right when he says stick with the FZ-07 derived bikes for now - the thing with powerful engines is they can be very, very easy to ride and are quite sedate at lower revs, but you can get out of control very, very quickly, they are monsters at higher RPM

Watevaman

Had the first motorcycle death of someone I personally know this past weekend. I wasn't great friends with the guy or anything, but I hung out with him enough to know he was a very smart and generous guy with a unique personality. He was always a crazy rider who had even crazier bikes and I guess his time ran out this weekend. Single vehicle accident as far as I know. Sounds like was moving on the highway a bit too fast and struck a guardrail. I'm wondering if it was something on the bike, because he was a great rider with many trackdays under his belt.

Stay safe out there GAF. It's easy to get carried away on a motorcycle, just remember that you're not invincible.

SatansReverence

Hipster Princess
On my continuing customisation of my WR tonight I would dosomething about trying to make it more visible by making LED running lights. Pretty happy with how they turned out and all for $5 :)

0BLJZFY.jpg

Had the first motorcycle death of someone I personally know this past weekend. I wasn't great friends with the guy or anything, but I hung out with him enough to know he was a very smart and generous guy with a unique personality. He was always a crazy rider who had even crazier bikes and I guess his time ran out this weekend. Single vehicle accident as far as I know. Sounds like was moving on the highway a bit too fast and struck a guardrail. I'm wondering if it was something on the bike, because he was a great rider with many trackdays under his belt.

Stay safe out there GAF. It's easy to get carried away on a motorcycle, just remember that you're not invincible.

It's always sad to hear that.

My mothers brother was killed in a motorcycle crash. She's always terrified of me riding because of it :(

Maedre

Banned

Sad to hear. Sometimes there are factors that a rider can't t foresee. Sometimes its a corner, a missplaces Stone or just no luck.
I lost a family friend that was speeding on a country road. he did 200 km/h and more and hit another car in an overtake. He was gone in a blink of an eye. His Z1000 NInja pushed the car he hit several meters against direction. The passengers survived.

@SatansReverence

is this a road conversion?

Maedre

Banned
Dual sport but Im doing more on road than off at the moment. Here in Australia you can get these WR450s fully road registered with ease :)

nice.

When I would live in Australia, I would certainly have a WR450 as Second bike. So much opportunity. Must be nice to live in such a big place with low pupulation density.

SatansReverence

Hipster Princess
nice.

When I would live in Australia, I would certainly have a WR450 as Second bike. So much opportunity. Must be nice to live in such a big place with low pupulation density.

It's great! I live in a city called ballarat which is basically surrounded by forests and bush land. Not even a 20 minute ride to be off road :)

Top Bottom