• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2 wheel GAF UNITE!

OraleeWey

On my continuing customisation of my WR tonight I would dosomething about trying to make it more visible by making LED running lights. Pretty happy with how they turned out and all for $5 :)

0BLJZFY.jpg

Man, that's great. It's looking really nice. I like it.

Ocho

Thanks for all the videos and opinions/advice. The XSR900 is beautiful and if it came down to just looks, I would definitely buy it, but yeah I'm a little bit scared after the comments and reading about it. Sucks to hear the american safety courses are not up to par.

My intention has been the get the SV 650 with ABS, and paint it (I'm not a particular fan of red).

Shame the XSR700 isn't available in the USA. You guys miss out on loads of cool models. But at least you get the z125 pro...

Yeah kinda weird it's not available. You'd think interest for a modest capacity cafe racer inspired and affordable bike would definitely be there. (It being almost three grand cheaper than a Duc Scrambler.)

SatansReverence

Hipster Princess
On my continuing customisation of my WR tonight I would dosomething about trying to make it more visible by making LED running lights. Pretty happy with how they turned out and all for $5 :)

0BLJZFY.jpg

That looks awesome. Gives the bike a total different look.

Cheers :)

Getting some sleeker mirrors and a sticker kit is next. Might consider some supermoto wheels im the future too!

Maedre

Banned
Thanks for all the videos and opinions/advice. The XSR900 is beautiful and if it came down to just looks, I would definitely buy it, but yeah I'm a little bit scared after the comments and reading about it. Sucks to hear the american safety courses are not up to par.

My intention has been the get the SV 650 with ABS, and paint it (I'm not a particular fan of red).

No white or black version in the us?

Good Choice for a first bike.

Dougald

Wow I just checked, SV650 in the USA only comes in Red or White, and if you want ABS it's just Red! You can have Red/White/Black/Blue here.

If you want to change the colour I'd recommend getting it vinyl wrapped instead. It's cheaper, and it allows you to return the bike to stock when you sell it, which most people appreciate more than the previous owners custom tastes. Or just buy the white non-ABS model

The 650 is a pretty common training school bike here for people taking their full "big" test, as it's fairly small, inexpensive, lightweight, meets the power requirements for the test and is easy enough for beginners to handle under instruction. My wife actually learned to ride a big bike on the last-gen 650. It's still so good that I'd happily have one as my only bike, too. There is something to be said for a pure "motorcycle" without fancy extras or crazy design choices.

OraleeWey

Some weird stuff is going on in the US market.There is a 250 Tenere and a 660 Tenere that's not available in USA but is available in Mexico. I would totally be seriously looking at those bikes.

Man, the XT660Z Tenere is a fuel injected dual sport...

Edit:
Alright guys, question time. I'm about to get some time off work sometime soon and if a trip like this doesn't happen, then it won't happen until next year... Any chance this is doable in a single day?

From my starting point to the start of BRP (Blue Ridge Parkway) which is on the South of the map, is about 4 hours. BRP would be the reason for this trip. BRP is about 105 miles long and it would take a minimum of 3 hours to complete. So there alone is a 7 hour trip minimum. One option would be, after that 7 hour trip (start of trip to end of BRP), before entering the beginning of Skyline Drive (North of Route 64), which is at Rockfish Gap, I could stop for the day there and rest at an hotel. Then continue the trip the next day by going North on Skyline Drive and heading home. That would be option #1. Option #2 is to do the entire thing in a single day. But none of this accounts for having to make stops, traffic (if any), sightseeing, eating, gas, etc.

What do you guys think? Am I out of my mind trying to attempt the entire thing in a single day?

I think you could do it in a single day, but you'll have more fun dividing it in two parts. Most kilometers I've ever done on a single day is close to 600 I think, but with a large part being highway, not actually sure whether that makes it harder or easier.

Anyway, for fun and safety I'd recommend doing it in two days.

Dougald

Two days. You need a break every few hours for gas (and for your own safety!)

I did this (and back again) in one day just the other week and I was getting towards my limit. And an hour of that journey was channel tunnel. And it was mostly motorway! Admittedly the KLR will be a much smoother ride but still.

The most saddle time I've ever done in a day was 560 miles, which I did over ~13 hours, and it near enough destroyed me for a few days afterward

Maedre

Banned
Two days. You need a break every few hours for gas (and for your own safety!)

I did this (and back again) in one day just the other week and I was getting towards my limit. And an hour of that journey was channel tunnel. And it was mostly motorway! Admittedly the KLR will be a much smoother ride but still.

The most saddle time I've ever done in a day was 560 miles, which I did over ~13 hours, and it near enough destroyed me for a few days afterward

What did you pay for the Eurotunnel?

Im planing a Trip to Cornwall in the Spring next year and i am going back and forth if i use the Tunnel or a Ferry.

Was there ever an Euro Bike GAF meeting?

Dougald

What did you pay for the Eurotunnel?

Im planing a Trip to Cornwall in the Spring next year and i am going back and forth if i use the Tunnel or a Ferry.

Was there ever an Euro Bike GAF meeting?

£15 each way was the day trip rate for bikes. I'm sorry to say that I think it's more expensive if you're coming from Europe into the UK. American chap who bought a single ticket on day told me he paid €90, so it pays to book ahead. The tunnel is definitely the way to go with a bike vs the ferry though, I'd always take that option. Plus you get to stand at the back with all the other bikers and find out where everyone's going. The UK "border" is actually just after the ticket booths in France, so once the train arrives you go straight out onto the roads in Kent.

If you're going to Cornwall the other option would be ride to North-West France and take the ferry to Plymouth, rather than crossing to Dover. It takes a lot longer, but you might find out its less riding time, plus you avoid having to ride past London.

EuroGAF meetup would be awesome. I actually live about halfway between Dover and Cornwall, so we could definitely arrange something.

Maedre

Banned
£15 each way was the day trip rate for bikes. I'm sorry to say that I think it's more expensive if you're coming from Europe into the UK. American chap who bought a single ticket on day told me he paid €90, so it pays to book ahead. The tunnel is definitely the way to go with a bike vs the ferry though, I'd always take that option. Plus you get to stand at the back with all the other bikers and find out where everyone's going. The UK "border" is actually just after the ticket booths in France, so once the train arrives you go straight out onto the roads in Kent.

If you're going to Cornwall the other option would be ride to North-West France and take the ferry to Plymouth, rather than crossing to Dover. It takes a lot longer, but you might find out its less riding time, plus you avoid having to ride past London.

EuroGAF meetup would be awesome. I actually live about halfway between Dover and Cornwall, so we could definitely arrange something.

Nice, I never thought of Plymouth. In my youth we were many times in Truro and always took the dover / calais connection. Would be nice to see those places again. This time understanding the language a little bit more.

Dougald

Spring is definitely the time to go if you want to enjoy the roads. In the summer it will be absolutely packed with holidaymakers, which in Cornwall means miles of traffic caused by slow caravans. I'd avoid Easter too, schools here get two weeks holiday around then and a lot of people will head down there.

The main advantage of coming the "long" way from Calais is you can travel down the A303 past Stonehenge if that interests you. Or if you want to take longer, there are some fantastic roads in the Mendip hills near Cheddar Gorge.

Maedre

Banned
Spring is definitely the time to go if you want to enjoy the roads. In the summer it will be absolutely packed with holidaymakers, which in Cornwall means miles of traffic caused by slow caravans. I'd avoid Easter too, schools here get two weeks holiday around then and a lot of people will head down there.

The main advantage of coming the "long" way from Calais is you can travel down the A303 past Stonehenge if that interests you. Or if you want to take longer, there are some fantastic roads in the Mendip hills near Cheddar Gorge.

Nah, I saw stonehenge as a kid. Was cool, but i dont want to see it now through a fence.

But hell yeah, I need to start planing this trip this autumn. And because my wife wants to visit southwest england too, I will be there two times next year.

Is Waze usable in england to avoid....stuff?

Dougald

I don't really use Waze, but I downloaded it and it seems to have all the speed cameras I know of in it, as well as local roadworks. Google Maps is generally pretty accurate for traffic too.

I have been using the Apple Maps the last few months just because it integrates great with my watch. I have also been finding that some of the street view photos are more upto date than the google ones. Waze is supposed to be great as its driven by the community to get more details traffic information.

OraleeWey

Two days it is. I'm going to go ahead and make the preparations.

Stonehenge from behind a fence? That's just sad. People do stupid shit don't they?

You guys should definitely do a GAF meet.

Dougald

Stonehenge from behind a fence? That's just sad. People do stupid shit don't they?

Honestly, I've never actually been. I've driven right past it dozens of times (there's a main road right next to it which they're planning to divert under a tunnel, not exactly the romantic way to view a 5000 year old monument). Bunch of rocks in a field!

Guess I'm in 2 wheel gaf now.

Have a 1990 HD 883 Sportster, obv my first bike. Got endorsed last weekend with only a few points off. Got my helmet, gloves, and a mesh jacket. Tried to wear boots but they're too big to fit between the shifter and the peg.

Just rode it for about an hour with my bro (on his vrod), love it. I was a bit anxious at first but I'm a bit more comfortable now. Never going to claim I'm at ease on the bike, as I shouldn't be.

Made sure to get it checked out, was in good condition besides the carb being put together wrong.

Already looking to make plans on Labor day for a short cruise :p.

Live in FL, great weather to bike in, not so great drivers to bike around >_>.

Dougald

Pictures, man! We must have pictures! I hope the Harley serves you well, the 883 (or that new Street 750) seems like the solid choice for a beginner who wants to ride a H-D

If you're having trouble with larger boots then maybe you should try some TCX shoes. Obviously not as safe as larger boots but they are fairly solidly constructed and probably a lot cooler in Florida...

Pictures, man! We must have pictures! I hope the Harley serves you well, the 883 (or that new Street 750) seems like the solid choice for a beginner who wants to ride a H-D

If you're having trouble with larger boots then maybe you should try some TCX shoes. Obviously not as safe as larger boots but they are fairly solidly constructed and probably a lot cooler in Florida...

Thank you!

Was looking at options to have the shifter gear extended, I know you can get forward shifters but a kit for that is a bit pricey. I'll take a look at the shoes.

Congrats Schweinehund! You will not regret it.

220 kilos and 48 hp are perfect for the first bike

Yup I don't feel intimidated by it at all after having taking it for a few more rides. Took it on a commute to work and got a better handle on frequent shifting and stopping. I hear that (older) sportsters aren't so great for cruising because of the vibration, but so far I love it for my needs.

I decided on the sportster because of the price, condition and the frame caught my eye. I didn't want a beast of a motorcycle but I felt like I'd outgrow the 250cc bikes we trained on during the endorsement. I'm already looking at other bikes down the line (may skip over a 1200 bike or conversion), I like the fatboy frame but I'm not strictly interested in HD, just like older looking frames and cruisers over sport bikes. I'll get some pictures up later for sure!

So, there's some talk of a hurricane possibly hitting East Coast USA. Category 3.

Freaking mother nature ruining my plans.

DIpF-6uVoAARoSz

Global warming is making these hurricanes more powerful than they need to be.

Source:
https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.cn...us/hurricane-irma-forecast-weather/index.html

Ahhh yeah I saw that :/, labor day was looking to be so good for riding. I live more toward central florida.

Dougald

BMW quoted £600 to replace the front brake discs. W.T.F.

Max, help me out, have you paid out to have the front discs changed on a boxer before?

I decided on the sportster because of the price, condition and the frame caught my eye. I didn't want a beast of a motorcycle but I felt like I'd outgrow the 250cc bikes we trained on during the endorsement. I'm already looking at other bikes down the line (may skip over a 1200 bike or conversion), I like the fatboy frame but I'm not strictly interested in HD, just like older looking frames and cruisers over sport bikes. I'll get some pictures up later for sure!

Should do you well that bike. I started on a Bonneville 800 which is almost identically specced apart from a slightly more powerful engine, and the riding position is pretty similar to the more upright Sportster style. Should do you good.

Watevaman

BMW quoted £600 to replace the front brake discs. W.T.F.

Max, help me out, have you paid out to have the front discs changed on a boxer before?

Should do you well that bike. I started on a Bonneville 800 which is almost identically specced apart from a slightly more powerful engine, and the riding position is pretty similar to the more upright Sportster style. Should do you good.

Discs themselves are pretty expensive. Is it a dual rotor setup?

I'd also recommend changing them yourself unless you're really pressed for time. Can't be that bad, right?

Dougald

I'd definitely change them myself, but those discs have been on there for 15 years and I *guarantee* it'll need a blowtorch (which I don't have) at the very least to get all those bolts off without them stripping. Last time I changed a disc a 5 minute job turned into drilling out a stripped bolt

Looking online it does seem to be that the Brembo front discs that BMW spec are probably around £240 each (there seem to be loads of slightly different options that vary in price/model number), and it's a twin-disc setup on the front wheel

SatansReverence

Hipster Princess
I'd definitely change them myself, but those discs have been on there for 15 years and I *guarantee* it'll need a blowtorch (which I don't have) at the very least to get all those bolts off without them stripping. Last time I changed a disc a 5 minute job turned into drilling out a stripped bolt

Looking online it does seem to be that the Brembo front discs that BMW spec are probably around £240 each (there seem to be loads of slightly different options that vary in price/model number), and it's a twin-disc setup on the front wheel

Might almost be worth it to get them to do it as quoted but usually you can avoid breaking/stripping bolts by being careful and using plenty of WD40. Also remember not to just back them out if they're tight, wind 'em back and forth adding WD as you go.

Just heard back about my sticker kit and they finished the design
Going to need to change the radiator shrouds to a non textured version but I'm loving it so far.

Watevaman

I know it's a big initial investment, but I found that having an impact wrench or even an impact driver makes stubborn bolts/nuts so much easier to get off. Most bike parts don't require too much force, but just last weekend when I changed my front sprocket, the impact wrench had no issue getting the nut off no problem.

But, if those rotors are gonna cost 240 quid each, I guess it's worth having someone else do them unless you want to go aftermarket for another brand of rotors.

Maedre

Banned
Just had a nice tour from Hamm-Möhnesee-Meschede and back. I really love the Sauerland.

A good friend with his Honda VTR1000 SP1 accompanied me. Its a shame that he refused to use my spare Sena SMH5.

Dougald

I know it's a big initial investment, but I found that having an impact wrench or even an impact driver makes stubborn bolts/nuts so much easier to get off. Most bike parts don't require too much force, but just last weekend when I changed my front sprocket, the impact wrench had no issue getting the nut off no problem.

But, if those rotors are gonna cost 240 quid each, I guess it's worth having someone else do them unless you want to go aftermarket for another brand of rotors.

I have a manual impact wrench but I really want a proper electric impact gun

The problem I have is BMW love using those horrible Torx bolts and I can just see it stripping in my mind when I think about doing the job myself. Hell, the damn sump plug had one that nearly stripped when I was just changing the oil (now has a nice normal metric bolt in)

Basically... don't buy European if you want cheap maintenance. But we all knew that already...

Ocho

Hey guys. So I had my MSFT basic course this weekend and here are my observations:

The 'lecture' portion of the class was very boring, mostly because they sent me the handbook when I subscribed to the class, and me being the nerd that I am and actually reading through the whole thing, there was no new info talked about. To be fair, it was nice to go over the things that I had read to make sure I remember them for whenever I start riding. The guy that gave the class also tried to get the group interested and attentive, so that was nice and he certainly had experience. The written test was very easy.

The driving range tho... very fun. It was incredible going from how do I turn on a bike to oh nice I kinda walk the bike with some friction zone clutch to oh look I can put me feet on the bike and go.

It was a two day thing, and I had the bad luck of Saturday being one of the hottest days in the SF bay area ever. Two guys actually dropped out because they couldn't finish the activities due to the heat. I ended partially dead after class, had to cancel my plans, and just rest. My arms also hurt.

Sunday was a lot better, less hot, nice breeze, I actually ended the day feeling great after a quick shower.

One of the issues I had with the driving range was the amount of people and traffic. We were 9 guys on my group and some went really slow, I felt like I couldn't put to practice what the instructor wanted me to do because I was going too slow. Like breaking and turning.

The hardest thing for me was always looking straight ahead/never looking down. It took some time and I'm sure it's gonna take more time to become confident enough not to look down some time to see if my foot is where I want it to be. Oh and I stalled the bike a lot. Probably the one who stalled the most. I could never get the thing to properly engage. I kinda got the hang of it the last hours, but I'm still not confident.

I did feel I was one of the "fastest" (aka 20 mph) and quickest learners of the group. No one dropped the bike in my group tho.

Of all the theory about driving a bike, counter steering was the thing that I just couldn't fucking understand why they instructed to push right to go right. So I've been riding a bicycle all my life (like most people), which also has counter steering, and I've never felt like I turn to the opposite direction to go where I want. I just kept leaning and turning like I've always done and apparently I was counter steering just fine, but I don't think I was doing anything like the instructors said we should do. I even looked up some youtube videos after the class. Looks like most people get confused about how this technique is thought.

I'm still not sure how I'll feel driving on the streets, fortunately my commute to work is like a 4-5 mile distance and I don't need to go by highways, so I'm excited to get a bike and drive around the neighboring streets and get used to the riding more.

Oh and after some time I felt my balance confidence increase a lot, I was able to stay on the bike at much lower speeds without having to put a foot down, however sometimes after stopping I couldn't lean left and had to put my right foot first (instructors didn't like that).

I passed the thing and should get my endorsement in 7 to 10 days. What would you guys recommend I practice over and over when I get a bike?

OraleeWey

Thanks for the update. Regarding counter steering, it's true what you say. A lot of confusion. But you do it naturally, so try not to worry too much about it. Just push down on the handle bar in which ever direction you want to go.

You should practice emergency stopping. The point is to give it the maximum amount of braking without locking the front tire. If you need to, also practice the clutch. Sounds like you need to just give it a little bit more gas. Those bikes at the MSF course are very forgiving (btw what bike did you test ride on?). And try to practice u turns without putting your foot down at low speed. Maintain smooth throttle, use the rear brake to slow down and look in the direction you want to go.

You'll be out in the road in no time.

Maedre

Banned
Thanks Ocho for this report. Ist this MSF all you have to do to get a Motorcycle license?
That doesent seem that much.

As mentioned you should practice emergency breaking and evasion techniques.

In germany we have at least do 12x 45 min lessions.

5x 45 min in towns and on the country road with 30-60 mph
4x 45 min in the highway (Autobahn) with 50.80 mph
3x 45 min in the dark mostly combined with Country reoads, Town roads and highway

these are the mandatory leassons but at the beginning we had to practice the following:
- slow slalom
- fast slalom
- emergency breaking
- do small circles
- evasion without breaking (countersteering)
- evasion with breaking (countersteering)

The interesting part of counter steering is that if youknow the physic behind it you know a mighty tool to evade dangerous situations.
diagram.gif

This is what can happen if you do not know how counter steering works
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VVE79XT8-Mg

After a 100km 190 km/h Autobahn session. What a ride without fairing :D... So now I have to let do the first service appointment.
just for new oil and a new oilfilter -.- not that i would be able to do this myself...

It has been a perfect week so far. The new Street Triple is fucking great bike and i havent even pushed my rev above 7k. I'm curious how this bake will behave abouve 10k.

SatansReverence

Hipster Princess

Nice work.

Getting sore arms is usually a case of being too tense. Grip the bike with your legs instead of death gripping the bars.

Counter steering is something most people do naturally already, but it's still a good idea to practice low speed maneuvers in an empty car park for obstacle and accident avoidance.

When I did my learners test here in Australia about 3-4 months ago it was fairly similar. 2 day course with lots of theory stuff on the first day.

Since I have been riding since before I was 10 both the instructors I had said to me that I must be bored trying to start from absolute zero because of the other people in the class. First bike "riding" was actually being pushed down the range by the other students lol. Still enjoyed it all and even though my road riding hasn't exactly gone smoothly it was still worth it!

Dougald

The thing about counter steering is, you are doing it even if you think you aren't, because it's impossible to turn a two-wheeler without doing it.

If you're having trouble and over-thinking it, just remember to "look where you want to go", especially at slow speeds. If you look at the vanishing point of that corner, you'll go round that corner. Or, as I did when I was learning, if you look at that lamp-post you'll definitely mount the pavement and nearly ride into it...

The best way I found to "practice" counter steering was to very gently push the bars while I was already cornering, you'll quickly find how easy it is to tighten up your steering while moving.

Maedre

Banned
The thing about counter steering is, you are doing it even if you think you aren't, because it's impossible to turn a two-wheeler without doing it.

If you're having trouble and over-thinking it, just remember to "look where you want to go", especially at slow speeds. If you look at the vanishing point of that corner, you'll go round that corner. Or, as I did when I was learning, if you look at that lamp-post you'll definitely mount the pavement and nearly ride into it...

The best way I found to "practice" counter steering was to very gently push the bars while I was already cornering, you'll quickly find how easy it is to tighten up your steering while moving.

Thats right, but many try to do the wrong thing in panic situations.

Dougald

Yes, there have been many times I've come into a corner a bit too fast, or there has been an obstruction in the road. Gently and calmly countersteering is almost always the best thing to do

That video you posted was a good example, braking (unless you have bosch cornering ABS) is only going to make the bike stand up and go in a straight line into the lorry. If he'd gently pushed the inside bar and carried on that footage would have been long deleted as just another ride.

Just push down on the handle bar in which ever direction you want to go.

This is the only language I could never become comfortable with... because you can't push handlebars "down". You push either side forward, on the plane defined by rotation around the steering column, and the bike leans in the direction of the side you push.

Maedre

Banned
This is the only language I could never become comfortable with... because you can't push handlebars "down". You push either side forward, on the plane defined by rotation around the steering column, and the bike leans in the direction of the side you push.

ok

pull the right handelbar to yourself and the bike will fall to the left. The bike will turn left.
pull the left handelbar to yourself and the bike will fall to the right. The bike will turn right.

or

push the right handelbar to the bike will fall to the right and turn right.
push the left handelbar to the bike will fall to the left and turn left.

It seems kind of hard to explain. My wife still don't knows what counterstearing means.

Ocho

Thanks for the update. Regarding counter steering, it's true what you say. A lot of confusion. But you do it naturally, so try not to worry too much about it. Just push down on the handle bar in which ever direction you want to go.

Pushing down is exactly what it feels like I'm doing. Even when the instructors were demonstrating, I could never figure out of they were "pushing" to the opposite direction like they mentioned. To me it was more lean and push down. They told me that was wrong. Maybe I wasn't going fast enough, or maybe I was doing naturally and I can't even remember doing it lol.

You should practice emergency stopping. The point is to give it the maximum amount of braking without locking the front tire. If you need to, also practice the clutch. Sounds like you need to just give it a little bit more gas. Those bikes at the MSF course are very forgiving (btw what bike did you test ride on?). And try to practice u turns without putting your foot down at low speed. Maintain smooth throttle, use the rear brake to slow down and look in the direction you want to go.

You'll be out in the road in no time.

Yeah, stalling came down to not using enough throttle. It took me some hours to finally find a decent spot. We had emergency braking, swerving out of danger, and stopping during a corner. For emergency stop, they recommended I lightly tap the rear brake and go even lighter the more pressure I apply to front brake. That may need some practice, but I was able to stop fine. During the formal evaluation I felt the rear tire lock a little bit, but I was able to keep it straight.

I was riding a '09 suzuki dual sport I think. Not sure what model.

Thanks Ocho for this report. Ist this MSF all you have to do to get a Motorcycle license?
That doesent seem that much.

As mentioned you should practice emergency breaking and evasion techniques.

In germany we have at least do 12x 45 min lessions.

5x 45 min in towns and on the country road with 30-60 mph
4x 45 min in the highway (Autobahn) with 50.80 mph
3x 45 min in the dark mostly combined with Country reoads, Town roads and highway

these are the mandatory leassons but at the beginning we had to practice the following:
- slow slalom
- fast slalom
- emergency breaking
- do small circles
- evasion without breaking (countersteering)
- evasion with breaking (countersteering)

The interesting part of counter steering is that if youknow the physic behind it you know a mighty tool to evade dangerous situations.
diagram.gif

This is what can happen if you do not know how counter steering works
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VVE79XT8-Mg

Wow, those are proper lessons. I wish we could have some road time, but it's illegal without a license.

And holy shit that video is eye opening. I understand now why they say steer the opposite direction lol. I may never have felt this was the case in our training because I don't think I was going fast enough.

Nice work.

Getting sore arms is usually a case of being too tense. Grip the bike with your legs instead of death gripping the bars.

Counter steering is something most people do naturally already, but it's still a good idea to practice low speed maneuvers in an empty car park for obstacle and accident avoidance.

Yeah, my arms were fine the second day when I relaxed the grip a lot of used more legs. I for sure need to keep practice up.

Vanishing point? You mean not the exit but the turn?

right, oh and target fixation. baaad thing

They kept drilling this into us. Don't look at the front driver's wheels. Head up, looking ahead.

I guess it feels like pushing down when you initiate the the tilting rotation to curve?

As an update, and probably a mistake, I've decided to buy a new bike. I don't want to deal with sketchy sellers or having to repair things before I get comfortable riding, so I'll look for something this month. SV650 is my best bet, price is decent but no ABS (good thing of no ABS, I can grab the white and blue one). XSR 900 with b mode, abs, and traction control still calls me though. I requested a quote for a Ducati Scrambler Icon, but being 186cm tall and 90 kilos (6'1, 205lbs), not sure if I fit there properly.

I still need to wait 7-10 to get my endorsement and then however many days it's gonna take to get the DMV to mail my license.

OraleeWey

When we took the class we got our endorsement at the end of the class. I wouldn't have thought they mail you it.

The bike you rode on might've been a DR200S?
suzuki-dr-200se.jpg

And yeah, my instructor taught me to push down on the handle bar. Honestly, the more you look into it the more confusing it gets. Don't even worry about it, it just happens.

Most important thing is to look where you want to go.

This is a clip from a video Doug once sent me. Explains counter steering
https://youtu.be/4PbmXxwKbmA

Edit: I know there are tons and tons of people who are against buying new, but for me it gave me the peace of mind that I wanted. I'd rather pay a little bit more for the convenience of knowing how I treated the bike. When I bought my 06 (gosh I miss it so so much), there were a few problems with it I had to fix. I decided to sell it and go ahead and buy a new one. So, no disapproval for buying new from me.

Dougald

Vanishing point? You mean not the exit but the turn?

The vanishing point is the point where you can no longer see the road in the corner, essentially as far forward as you can see. It's a good shout to look there as if you notice the vanishing point getting closer, you know the turn is getting tighter (and vice versa)

I too have no objection to a new bike, just keep in mind that you may well ding/drop it. But then I have dropped 3 of 5 bikes and Oraleeway has a new bike that is still fine, so maybe it's just me....

The Scrambler would be a good shout for a first bike bike, though I would say I found the fuelling very jerky in the first year model I rode. Also I'm only 5'8" and it was a little small even for me! Very fun ride though, but I felt it was a little basic for a Ducati in terms of finish.

Ocho

The bike you rode on might've been a DR200S?
suzuki-dr-200se.jpg

That was exactly it. I found it rumbly at first when I sat on it, but later on not so much. I guess I got used to it. Are all bikes rumbly? Or are newer bikes smoother?

Why do people seem to be against electronics for a first bike? Is it wrong that I prefer to ride a bike that will let me know when my brakes would've locked up if not for ABS? I can still understand I've gone over my limits when ABS triggers, no?

I can understand how traction control might be doing more for me, but isn't it safer?

That was exactly it. I found it rumbly at first when I sat on it, but later on not so much. I guess I got used to it. Are all bikes rumbly? Or are newer bikes smoother?

It's a single piston carbed bike, it will definitely be more rumbly than a newer fuel injected v-twin or inline-4, etc.

Why do people seem to be against electronics for a first bike? Is it wrong that I prefer to ride a bike that will let me know when my brakes would've locked up if not for ABS? I can still understand I've gone over my limits when ABS triggers, no?

Many people consider ABS a must-have at this point (European regulations require it I believe), I don't think there's much discontent against it. Suzuki is sort of lagging in this department so even my VStrom doesn't have ABS, although it does have TCS.

Top Bottom