• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2016-2017 NCAA Men's Basketball |OT| Villanova has no fans so this is their thread

RR30

Having no PG has killed Duke. They have a bunch of really good parts that don't fit great together.

I think Kentucky is the same way this year. Fox and Briscoe are good players but are horrible together.

D

Deleted member 12837

Unconfirmed Member
Duke Basketball
‏@dukebasketball

Following
More
Coach K uncertain whether Allen and Jefferson will play Tuesday. Says Jefferson is having trouble running:

Just forfeit the rest of the season.

Did something happen to Amile to aggregate things or is it just the wear and tear of the season finally taking its toll on the existing injury?

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
WVU lucky to get a one-point win at TCU yesterday. Lot's of bitching about the foul call on TCU at the end that led to the game winning FT, but thought the foul on us that let them tie it up the prior positions as similar in terms of being pretty ticky tacky late game.

Handled Texas easily I earlier in the week, so have at least one three straight after the meltdown at KU. Was worried that would tank the season.

Final week is at Baylor tomorrow night and then Iowa State at home. Hope we can get both wins as those would be good seed builders for the tourney. Would like to get off the 4 line we've been at lately and up to a 3. Maybe a 2 with a deep run or win in the conference tourney and some other teams going out early in their tourneys.

scoobs

Curious what 4 teams you guys think have the best chance at winning it all this year?

Mine was UCLA, UNC, Nova, KU

Proelite

I'm having a hard time even making a good guess. No team looks great this year.

I disagree, I think the field is more competitive this year than last. There are great teams like Gonzaga, Nova, Kansas, UNC.

Top teams are not on the level of 2015 though.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
Another shitty late game effort for WVU last night. Up 8 at Baylor with around 9 to play, and ended up losing by 11. Oh well, were underdogs anyway, would have just been nice for seeding. Hopefully we bounce back against Iowa State at home Friday.

Huggins needs to rethink the full game/full season full court press next year IMO. It wins us a lot of games, but seems to have us tired out and struggling with shooting/scoring in second half of games as the season winds on even despite having a deep bench.

This is "Senior Night" but it literally might be the last game in Cameron for the entire team minus Frank and Chase (and Vrank and em of course)

Jefferson gone
Jones gone
Giles gone
Tatum gone
Bolden honestly could stay and eat next year but he's probably gone
Allen should go before he fully JMM's himself (but it might be too late)
Kennard should go before he starts to JMM himself

Fjordson

Speaking of Giles, what's up with him so far? I've only watched maybe two Duke games this year, but I never hear about him on like ESPN or anything and I see he's only averaging 4 and 4. Was certain he'd be really good and a top 2-3 pick next year. Is he still coming back from the injuries?

Speaking of Giles, what's up with him so far? I've only watched maybe two Duke games this year, but I never hear about him on like ESPN or anything and I see he's only averaging 4 and 4. Was certain he'd be really good and a top 2-3 pick next year. Is he still coming back from the injuries?

Giles looks like a dude that has had 3 knee surgeries, missed two plus years, and doesn't get minutes. He has flashes, but they're few and far between, and the lack of consistent minutes is likely a good part of that.

This is "Senior Night" but it literally might be the last game in Cameron for the entire team minus Frank and Chase (and Vrank and em of course)

Jefferson gone
Jones gone
Giles gone
Tatum gone
Bolden honestly could stay and eat next year but he's probably gone
Allen should go before he fully JMM's himself (but it might be too late)
Kennard should go before he starts to JMM himself

Jones isn't going anywhere. He's just going to slide over a chair and start holding a dry erase board.

D

Deleted member 12837

Unconfirmed Member
It's awesome to see Amile play so well on Senior Night, but also a bit bittersweet. When Amile plays like healthy Amile, this team is very good. It's basically the team that lost to Kansas at the buzzer + Tatum + a more developed Frank. That's a Final Four-level team.

But getting Amile there requires ample rest and recovery time, and I don't think he's really going to get enough of that as the season winds down. Maybe if we lose super early in the ACC tournament.

edit: lol that dude tripped Grayson

One of my biased UK FB feed things said Grayson Allen appeared to fake being tripped last night, haha.

The more I look at it though...maybe he did.

Media works guys. I'm sheeped.

clav

^ Just saw the winning shot.

Tie game scenario, but a rare sight for the school's team.

Where's that one Northwestern fan with a cat avatar that posts occasionally in this thread? Congrats to you!

Still have some doubts about the team making it to the NCAA. Looks like a bubble team.

Illinois comin through for Goldy. Goldy had to win out to get the double bye. Now they can lose a game if Maryland can hold at home vs Sparty. Goldy can get the 2 seed with 2 wins and a Wisconsin loss tomorrow.

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
BrianFellows clean? Wolverines are shitting on themselves. Hopefully they got none of that stank on him.

You'd think as a Michigan basketball fan I'd be used to these heartbreaking buzzer beater losses by now but NOPE! Still feels like someone ran over both of my dogs.

Congrats though Tekky. You guys are a lock at this point.

clav

NW with no bad losses is in IMO. Congrats.

I don't think NU is in until after the B1G tournament. What if Northwestern drops first game?

You'd think as a Michigan basketball fan I'd be used to these heartbreaking buzzer beater losses by now but NOPE! Still feels like someone ran over both of my dogs.

Congrats though Tekky. You guys are a lock at this point.

Kinda disappointed NU students stormed the court after that game against an unranked team although admittedly I did storm the field after an Illinois football game back in the day.

I suppose they were excited about the execution + difficulty of that final shot.

https://twitter.com/ESPNCBB/status/837125534568099841

THINK OF THE STREAK, NORTHWESTERN

Chicago has already lost one this year. Don't make it two.

Northwestern fans used Cubs as an excuse for streaks. Now there is no excuse.

Possible, of the many, BT scenarios.

NW beats Purdue. Sparty beats Maryland. Goldy beats Wisconsin. All likely, IMO, ok maybe not NW.

1. Purdue
2. Goldy
3. Sparty 3-0 tiebreaker vs next 3.
4. NW. NW, Maryland and Wisc...all 1-2. Sparty isnt taken out of equation in 4-way tie. Instead goes to record vs Purdue. NW would be 1-1 better than the other 2 at 0-1.
5. Maryland. Tie breaker w Wisconsin goes all the way down to NW. Same records vs Purdue 0-1, Goldy 1-1 and Sparty 0-1. Maryland beat NW.
6. Wisc. So even tho Wisc beat Maryland in this 4-way tie they're 6th according to procedure as NW is tiebreaker before.

Middle of the pack can be just as convoluted w scenarios. Thought this was an interesting and possible scenario tho.

Thatd leave Iowa vs OhSt in 7-10 and Mich and Ill in 8-9 assuming all of them win their games. Iowa has tiebreak over Mich heads up.

Barring other upsets in tournament by seed, QF would be this under probable scenario above.

Purdue-Mich
NW-Maryland
----------
Sparty-Wisc
Goldy-Iowa

Should be a crazy tournament. Great league this year. Wouldnt put it past Penn St and Indiana or whomever gets the 5 and 6 seed in 2nd rd, especially if Wisc and Maryland, to make a run.

Quite confident Rutgers and Nebraska will do nothing.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
WVU bounced back from the loss to Baylor with a relatively easy win over Iowa State on senior night. Clinched second place in the Big XII. I'll take it.

Servbot24

Banned
Possible, of the many, BT scenarios.

NW beats Purdue. Sparty beats Maryland. Goldy beats Wisconsin. All likely, IMO, ok maybe not NW.

1. Purdue
2. Goldy
3. Sparty 3-0 tiebreaker vs next 3.
4. NW. NW, Maryland and Wisc...all 1-2. Sparty isnt taken out of equation in 4-way tie. Instead goes to record vs Purdue. NW would be 1-1 better than the other 2 at 0-1.
5. Maryland. Tie breaker w Wisconsin goes all the way down to NW. Same records vs Purdue 0-1, Goldy 1-1 and Sparty 0-1. Maryland beat NW.
6. Wisc. So even tho Wisc beat Maryland in this 4-way tie they're 6th according to procedure as NW is tiebreaker before.

Middle of the pack can be just as convoluted w scenarios. Thought this was an interesting and possible scenario tho.

Thatd leave Iowa vs OhSt in 7-10 and Mich and Ill in 8-9 assuming all of them win their games. Iowa has tiebreak over Mich heads up.

Barring other upsets in tournament by seed, QF would be this under probable scenario above.

Purdue-Mich
NW-Maryland
----------
Sparty-Wisc
Goldy-Iowa

Should be a crazy tournament. Great league this year. Wouldnt put it past Penn St and Indiana or whomever gets the 5 and 6 seed in 2nd rd, especially if Wisc and Maryland, to make a run.

Quite confident Rutgers and Nebraska will do nothing.
I think Iowa gets on the bubble if we win our last regular season game and get one B10 tourney game... doubt we'll do it but at least it seems possible. Wasn't expecting that last week.

Top Bottom