• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Alien Resurrection... wtf is this, I don't even...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Puddles

Banned
I FINALLY got around to watching the last film in the Alien Quadrilogy. I don't even know what to think. The first half was pretty good, despite some flaws, and for awhile I was liking it more than Alien 3. But in the second half, everything just started falling apart, and the flaws became even more noticeable, ruining any chance the film had of being anything more than mediocre. I'm not really in the mood to write an essay, so I'll just list my thoughts on the film. The film is old enough and mediocre enough that I'm not going to bother spoiler tagging anything. Here we go:

1) The premise is retarded. It wouldn't work. Unless the alien DNA mixes into human DNA after the facehugger impregnates someone, they wouldn't be able to get alien genetic material from Ripley's blood. This would not be a fatal flaw if the execution were better, since it does allow for some pretty neat ideas. One of my favorite scenes was when Ripley discovers the lab full of failed clone experiments. That was one of the bright spots in the film. But generally, everything is executed so poorly that by the time I got to the end of the film, I was just Picard-facepalming at every scene.

While the alien escape scene was quite excellent, it brings up a glaring plot hole: they didn't seem to have any kind of contingency plan for the alien escape at all. Housing multiple aliens together in the same cell was just asking for trouble. If the goal was to domesticate them, why would you want to let them communicate with each other? And again, I never got the feeling that anyone had thought about what to do if the aliens escaped. It seems like the whole plan was to just abandon ship if that happened, but even that is retarded if the escape pods are located in a place that the aliens can easily reach within minutes of escaping.

2) There isn't really a likable character in the whole thing aside from Ripley and maybe Winona Ryder's character. And since Ripley spends most of the film acting crazier than Shia in Transformers 2, that pretty much leaves us with only Winona to root for, which is never a good thing. Actually, I take that back. I liked Michael Wincott's character a lot, but he dies so early on that we spend the majority of the film watching a bunch of losers and degenerates.

I know that the audience is supposed to sympathize with the handicapped guy with a speech impediment, but I just found him extremely annoying. Will Ferrell, sorry, Ron Perlman was absolutely awful. The black guy with the Travis Bickle arm holsters was pretty cool, but he doesn't really get to do much, and his death scene was completely retarded. He falls about 30 feet into a pool of water. He could have easily survived. Also, watching the cripple with the speech impediment try to claw his way up that ladder was like watching a fat kid with honey all over his legs trying to outrun a hungry tiger. You're supposed to be really invested in this character's struggle, but it just comes off as comedic more than anything else. Completely kills the tension.

I also hated the "survivor" that they found. I guess he has a redeeming moment at the end when he uses the chestburster inside of him to take out the evil general, but aside from that he was just dead weight for most of the film.

Horror films are a lot more tense if you actually care about the characters. This one completely failed at that. Compared to the casts of the first two, which were filled with great characters, this completely shits the bed. There's no one who comes close to Hicks, Hudson, Vasquez, Parker or Dallas. Even Alien 3 had better characters overall. Fuck, even the dropship pilot from Aliens that they ripped off in Starcraft was a better character than anyone in this film.

3) It's very rarely frightening or suspenseful. The aliens might as well have not even existed for much of the second half of the film. We're following this group of characters trying to make their way to the ship, but once they get out of the water and up the ladder, it never feels like they're being hunted at all.

4) The human alien doesn't make for a very good climax at all. I get that it's supposed to disturb us more than anything else, but it wasn't even very good at that. The look of the creature was more comical than anything else. It would have benefited a lot from a better design.

5) The action was poor. The standout scenes are definitely the alien escape sequence and the beginning of the underwater sequence. Everything else sucked. Will Ferrel bending over backwards to fire down at the alien on the ladder sucked. Black Travis Bickle not taking more shots at the aliens when they were underwater was retarded. The characters seem to frequently forget that they're holding heavy weaponry. The aliens themselves don't really do much at all.

6) Massive logic failures. One of the key scenes in the movie makes climbing this ladder a huge ordeal, but somehow Winona Ryder is able to find an alternate route to the upper level in a few minutes after falling into the water. They're supposedly in a distant sector of space, but somehow they are able to reach Earth in 3 hours of sublight travel. It doesn't seem to matter that a huge spaceship crashes into the surface of the planet and creates a huge explosion that seems to engulf an entire continent.

7) Ripley's character makes no sense. Does she love the aliens or hate them? Does she think of them as children, or does she want to kill them? The character seems to contradict itself every few minutes.

There were also countless problems with the execution of the film that I can't even get into: poor musical cues, bad editing, , bad design, etc.

It wasn't offensively bad, but it wasn't good either, which sucks, because there was a lot of potential there.

Don't even need to read the OP to understand what all the problems with the movie are. Christ it was bad. Alien 3 was OK I guess...that script posted in another thread looked interesting (I read ~1/2 of it, bits and pieces). Aliens was my favorite of the bunch.

edit: and yes, the human alien was absolutely lulz-worthy. There was so much campiness and horrible dialogue throughout it made me cringe constantly.

Sapiens

Another boring entertainment brought to you from a writer suffering from some sort of head swelling brain injury.

Puddles said:
7) Ripley's character makes no sense. Does she love the aliens or hate them? Does she think of them as children, or does she want to kill them? The character seems to contradict itself every few minutes.

I think I heard this was Weaver's idea. She proposed the whole love angle thing.

Dennis

Banned
Darklord said:
Still better than Aliens 3.
No.

It goes like this:

Aliens > Alien >>>> Aliens 3 >>>>>>>>>>>Aliens 4

The fourth movie was quite possibly the most infuriatingly bad movie I have ever had the displeasure of viewing.

Puddles

Banned
If Resurrection had maintained the decent level it was at for most of the first half, I might have liked it more than Alien 3. But it goes to shit in the second half.

Yeah, it should have been about Wincott's character. He was the only interesting guy in the whole damn thing. I've warmed to 3 a little bit over the years, but I still don't care much for it. I'd give it the slight edge over Resurrection, but both are movies I wouldn't mind never seeing again.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
There were actually some good ideas here, obviously the premise was mind-numbingly stupid (the 'science' behind the cloning of Ripley and the embryo was laughable) but the central idea of Ripley empathising with the Aliens was interesting, just a shame that they built a stinking turd of a movie around it. The original Newt-clone centered script would have worked better given the story.

Sapiens

I NEED SCISSORS said:

That said, both are still shit, and have nothing on the first two.

Well, at least Alien 3 has some nice cinematography going for it. I can't think of a single nice feature of 4 though. Someone said it felt like a fanfic, and they're totally right.

Sapiens said:
Well, at least Alien 3 has some nice cinematography going for it. I can't think of a single nice feature of 4 though. Someone said it felt like a fanfic, and they're totally right.

Like I said in another thread - cubed whiskey, and Ron Perlman.

Whisky_300.jpg

Puddles

Banned
A potential Alien 5 set on wasteland Earth could have been amazing with a good script. They could easily work out some kind of explanation for how some of the aliens were able to survive the destruction of the spaceship. Too bad Weaver is like 60 years old now.

Also, Ron Perlman was one of the worst things about Resurrection. I like him as an actor in other films, but he was god-awful in this one. He looks almost exactly like Will Ferrell, and in this movie he somehow managed to act exactly like Will Ferrell as well. And Will Ferrell shouldn't be anywhere near an Alien film unless he's watching it in theaters.

Feathers

The whiskey scene was the best scene. However the army guy in charge was the worst character in the series.

And I'll still watch it, even if it approached AVP levels of shit.

AFreak

Banned
Wait a second, Will Ferrell was in this movie?

I dodn't even remember him in there, and why would they cast a comedian for a horror movie? Was he the comic relief?

kinoki

Illness is the doctor to whom we pay most heed; to kindness, to knowledge, we make promise only; pain we obey.
I like the forth one. :'(

Puddles said:
Too old Weaver is like 60 years old now.
She could pull off another Alien movie.

It's pretty funny reading what the screenwriter had to say.

"It wasn't a question of doing everything differently, although they changed the ending; it was mostly a matter of doing everything wrong. They said the lines...mostly...but they said them all wrong. And they cast it wrong. And they designed it wrong. And they scored it wrong. They did everything wrong that they could possibly do. There's actually a fascinating lesson in filmmaking, because everything that they did reflects back to the script or looks like something from the script, and people assume that, if I hated it, then they’d changed the script...but it wasn’t so much that they’d changed the script; it’s that they just executed it in such a ghastly fashion as to render it almost unwatchable."

Puddles

Banned
AFreak said:
Wait a second, Will Ferrell was in this movie?

I dodn't even remember him in there, and why would they cast a comedian for a horror movie? Was he the comic relief?

:lol

It was Ron Perlman. In this film, I thought he looked almost exactly like Ferrell.

Joss Whedon wrote the movie. According to him the characters were all wrong and that his idea for it was basically what the cast of Firefly became. Though I don't see how that would have fit in an Aliens movie.

mjc

This was the one that Joss Whedon wrote right? Did the execs just abandon most of his stuff in favor of rewrites or something? Someone fill me in.

mjc said:
This was the one that Joss Whedon wrote right? Did the execs just abandon most of his stuff in favor of rewrites or something? Someone fill me in.

He claims the characters were completely wrong from how he wrote them. But even so I don't see how that could have saved the abomination of the movie which was just an awful premise from the get go.

Not everything Whedon does is gold

sonicmj1

mjc said:

If you want Whedon's opinion of what went wrong, you could look at the post made 20 minutes prior to yours.

Zenith

Banned
I liked this film.

mjc said:

he had nothing to do with the human/alien and the ending was meant to take place on Earth. also some big chase sequence on jeeps inside the spaceship.

Dead Man

Puddles said:
I know that the audience is supposed to sympathize with the handicapped guy with a speech impediment, but I just found him extremely annoying.
I agree with most of what you said, but here, I think he is just talking with his normal voice, which happens to have a french accent, since he is french.

sonicmj1 said:
If you want Whedon's opinion of what went wrong, you could look at the post made 20 minutes prior to yours.
Of course, that post did not mention the screenwriters name, or give a source. Way to help a guy out. :lol

nico

Banned
Okay I can't totally hate this film simply because the cinematography is fucking beautiful, just fantastic eye sex.Also, I disagree with you about the human alien I thought it was quite well done and as you said there are a few other good scenes but yes it does have a lot of problems still i would rank them:

Aliens>Alien-->ARes----->AVPR>A3>AVP

Patryn

As parts of a series, Alien 3 is worse simply because of the way it completely shits over the ending of Aliens.

As individual movies, Resurrection is probably worse.

Dead Man

Patryn said:
As parts of a series, Alien 3 is worse simply because of the way it completely shits over the ending of Aliens.

As individual movies, Resurrection is probably worse.
Yeah, I'll buy that.

I read Whedon's script long before the movie was made. There are only two things I remember from the script that did not make it into the movie.

1) Nightmares of cornfields that are flooded by blood

2) The new alien is this white, four-legged jumping creature, kinda like a spider

One thing that was added during production and then removed digitally: ALIEN BONER.

itxaka

Defeatist
nico said:
Okay I can't totally hate this film simply because the cinematography is fucking beautiful, just fantastic eye sex.Also, I disagree with you about the human alien I thought it was quite well done and as you said there are a few other good scenes but yes it does have a lot of problems still i would rank them:

Aliens>Alien-->ARes----->AVPR>A3>AVP

Alien > Aliens >> Alien 3 >>> AVP >>> A4 = AVP2 >>>> Avatar

Zenith

Banned
Man said:
Do we have a image of this? Just curious.

they removed its penis entirely. It was meant to have both sets of genitals (penis coming out of giant vagina).

in fact in all of Ressurection there's only 1 full-frontal shot of the alien hybird and that's when it walks towards Ripley on the Betty. the penis is removed and the vagina's outline and folds less pronounced.

here's the original model:

450px-Alien-_Resurrection_-_Newborn.jpg

and here's what was used

new_born_3.jpg

4075364864_af1245b9fa.jpg

note the sagging boobs, stretch marks and massacred vagina.

this last pic showing the proportions makes it look quite the abomination:
1645361a0.jpg.size-300_square-true.jpg

"i say we ditch the cripple, no offense"
"none taken!"

:lol i always laugh at that part for some reason.
it was an alright movie but very disappointing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom