• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Alien Resurrection... wtf is this, I don't even...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yasae

Banned
agrajag said:
Well, sounds like it'd be a pretty cool movie if they adapted that comic. Too bad it'll never happen with Alien 3 and Resurrection screwing the continuity.

I resented Alien 3 killing off Newt and Hicks not so much because I loved them as characters, but because it made the plot of the previous film trite and pointless.
Feel free to explain yourself in detail.

mantidor

megashock5 said:
I suppose that's possible, but still, the whole thing with the newborn was terrible IMO.

The newborn thing was handled terribly but I thought the idea behind it was pretty interesting. I don't know, resurrection isn't exactly a great movie but for me it was watchable at least.

Tedesco!

Alien Resurrection is a crap movie, sure, but it is still better than the atrocious AVP1 and 2. I would have loved Alien 3 to be the end of Ripley's story, with Alien 4 being the beginning of someone else's story, but c'est la vie.

MetalAlien

Banned
I enjoy AVPr by thinking of it as a really advanced fan film and not a official movie.

AVP1 that lady annoys me. APVr is kinda fun and it is really violent so I forgive it.

Tedesco!

Count Dookkake said:
AvP is better than people give it credit for. It is on par with Alien 3.

I'd have to disagree tremendously. AvP is the Big K to the Coca Cola Alien franchise. It's what happens when people who are responsible for making movies, and have little to no experience, make movies. AvP brought us bulked up Predators and a sped up Alien life cycle. It's crap. The only movie AvP is better than is it's sequel.

Tedesco! said:
I'd have to disagree tremendously. AvP is the Big K to the Coca Cola Alien franchise. It's what happens when people who are responsible for making movies, and have little to no experience, make movies. AvP brought us bulked up Predators and a sped up Alien life cycle. It's crap. The only movie AvP is better than is it's sequel.

The quoted post is what happens when people who don't know about movies talk about movies. Paul Anderson has lots of experience.

Daigoro

yeah it was crappy, so was 3. they were both worth a watch at least, just because, and 4 has fucking Perlman in it.

anyone with sense knows that they were all down hill from Alien though. (Aliens was a great sci-fi action film, and i love it. but it does not touch the greatness of Alien.)

Melchiah said:
BTW, those who liked the cast of Aliens might want to check out Kathryn Bigelow's Near Dark (1987), which features the actors and actresses of Bishop, Hudson and Vasquez as vampires. It's a bit different kind of vampire flick.

Trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SYo14eZHRNA

great movie.

agrajag

Banned
Yasae said:
Feel free to explain yourself in detail.

My post was self-explanatory, but sure, I'll bite. Aliens worked really hard to get us to care about these characters. If most viewers didn't care about these sole survivors by the end of the film, the makers didn't do their jobs to well. To kill them off without seconds of the sequel is almost like making all of the previous plot points a dream sequence. Like it didn't matter, because you're basically pressing a reset button on the plot to shoehorn another one in.

Puddles

Banned
The first half of AvPr was worse than a Lifetime tv movie. God, it was awful. You can tell that they were trying to establish likeable characters and get us invested in their stories and personal struggles, but goddamn they failed hard at that.

However, the second half of AvPr is probably better than anything that's come since Alien 3. Some genuinely good action sequences, set pieces and horror scenes.

I'd rather have a straight Alien sequel though. The presence of Predators in a movie means that the Xenomorphs are automatically nerfed, because you can't really have an army of Predators down there for them to fight against.

Macam

Banned
Aliens vs Predator was terrible, terrible, terrible.

Really though, I can't think of a more popular movie franchise that is so utterly hit and miss as the Aliens franchise.

GhaleonEB

Dreams-Visions said:
I've randomly see people say that. what is it about Alien that makes people revere it above Aliens?
Brilliantly filmed, designed, edited and paced. Perfect sense of steadily rising tension, believable characters, a haunting score and a thoroughly terrifying creature design. It's pretty much a perfect horror film.

Personally, I love Alien and Aliens equally, though they're very different films.

Dreams-Visions said:
I've randomly see people say that. what is it about Alien that makes people revere it above Aliens?

For me, it was the unending sense of dread. The crew really didn't have any way to combat the Xenomorph other than the ineffectual flamethrowers. The way the Xenomorph was handled was masterful as well; for a while, you only caught glimpses of it as it stalked its prey.

Brett's death scene still ranks up there as one of my favorites.

I also liked the cast a lot more.

GhaleonEB said:
Brilliantly filmed, designed, edited and paced. Perfect sense of steadily rising tension, believable characters, a haunting score and a thoroughly terrifying creature design. It's pretty much a perfect horror film.

Personally, I love Alien and Aliens equally, though they're very different films.

The most amazing thing to me above all else is how well the movie holds up; after 31 years, it's just as good as the day it was released. The only set pieces that stand out at all are the computers.

GhaleonEB

WickedAngel said:
The most amazing thing to me above all else is how well the movie holds up; after 31 years, it's just as good as the day it was released. The only set pieces that stand out at all are the computers.
Agree. I watched the director's cut for the first time just a few months ago, and it holds up, end to end. What surprised me the most was how solid the visuals held up; the practical, model and matte painting effects were still entirely convincing. And the overall craftsmanship is something I don't think I've seen in a horror film since I first saw it as a kid.

Honestly, that the series had that kind of a beginning and ended with tripe like Resurrection makes me kind of angry.

LowParry

All this talk has got me to order the Quad. Blu Ray should be out later this year or so they say with lots more extras.

Yasae

Banned
agrajag said:
My post was self-explanatory, but sure, I'll bite. Aliens worked really hard to get us to care about these characters. If most viewers didn't care about these sole survivors by the end of the film, the makers didn't do their jobs to well. To kill them off without seconds of the sequel is almost like making all of the previous plot points a dream sequence. Like it didn't matter, because you're basically pressing a reset button on the plot to shoehorn another one in.
Your post was not self-explanatory.

If this is all Alien 3 "reset," meh. I could care less. You failed to mention the egg from the queen, which frankly is a less plausible link for a sequel compared to a couple of bad characters dying. How did she lay an egg in the cryogenics compartment after only riding in the leg crawlspace for a small ship? Or maybe that's a stupid question and I'm missing something, but it bothered me a lot more than Hicks and Newt dying. A shitload of people die in these movies. The manner in which their deaths happen is definitely convenient from a plot POV, however, and it was among the weakest manner for them to go.

agrajag

Banned
I don't remember that part, sorry. Basically, Ripley fought really hard to protect Newt and at the end of Aliens she was triumphant. To take that away in mere minutes takes ruins her triumph. For me anyway.

Puddles

Banned
WickedAngel said:

The slow-moving dude in a 7 foot black rubber suit looks a lot less convincing after the lithe, beast-like xenomorphs we've gotten in subsequent films.

Also, after Ash gets beheaded and they turn him back on, I swear to god it looks like he was just involved in the most epic bukkake scene of all time.

Alien 3 had convinced me that we need a hard, inviolable LAW stating that you can't start filming a major studio production without a finished script.

Ollie Pooch

In a perfect world, we'd all be homersexual
Puddles said:
The slow-moving dude in a 7 foot black rubber suit looks a lot less convincing after the lithe, beast-like xenomorphs we've gotten in subsequent films.

Also, after Ash gets beheaded and they turn him back on, I swear to god it looks like he was just involved in the most epic bukkake scene of all time.
There's a cut in that scene where it goes directly from the 'fake' head to the 'Ian Holm' head without any other shot to separate them. It's horribly jarring and really bothers me :lol

Yasae

Banned
agrajag said:
I don't remember that part, sorry. Basically, Ripley fought really hard to protect Newt and at the end of Aliens she was triumphant. To take that away in mere minutes takes ruins her triumph. For me anyway.
Yet she triumphs again in the third film. Weyland-Yutani has its best chance to get an alien specimen - cause let's face it, they're not quite rich or smart enough to go fight a war to trap some xenomorphs - and she takes that away from them with complete power.

There were significant events in the third film. People just made up what they would've liked to see before they saw it. That's purposely killing something with expectations. People duck out of threads and go on media blackouts so this doesn't happen to them, even if it's usually for avoiding overexposure.

Melchiah

Inspired by this thread, I watched Aliens director's cut yesterday for the first time, and I was surprised how much extra scenes it had:
-Ripleys's baby who had died of old age, while she was in space in hypersleep.
-The finding of the alien craft and the eggs by Newt's parents.
-The sentry scenes.

Furret

Banned
Yasae said:
Your post was not self-explanatory.

If this is all Alien 3 "reset," meh. I could care less. You failed to mention the egg from the queen, which frankly is a less plausible link for a sequel compared to a couple of bad characters dying. How did she lay an egg in the cryogenics compartment after only riding in the leg crawlspace for a small ship? Or maybe that's a stupid question and I'm missing something, but it bothered me a lot more than Hicks and Newt dying. A shitload of people die in these movies. The manner in which their deaths happen is definitely convenient from a plot POV, however, and it was among the weakest manner for them to go.

His post was self-explanatory.

Jumping into every Aliens thread and pretending that your peculiar opinions on Alien 3 and Newt and Hicks deserve any more credence than the guy who thought Ash ruined Evil Dead 2 is getting boring.

Oh, and the phrase is "couldn't care less".

Tedesco!

Count Dookkake said:
The quoted post is what happens when people who don't know about movies talk about movies. Paul Anderson has lots of experience.

I was speaking mainly of the people at Fox who green lit the script, but Paul Anderson would fit as well. Uwe Boll has experience too, it doesn't mean he is a competent director. AvP comes off as a movie from someone who heard about Aliens and Predators, but didn't really know much about them. So instead of researching the source material, they decided to go with what they thought would be "cool". So you could say that it's the fault of the studio execs and the director.

Tedesco!

Melchiah said:
Inspired by this thread, I watched Aliens director's cut yesterday for the first time, and I was surprised how much extra scenes it had:
-The sentry scenes.

The only scene missing that I would like to see is the
Burke grenade
scene.

AVP could have been a good film, it had a decent premise but it had lot of issues.

1.) Horrible Preador costumes
2.) More than half the movie does not involve aliens or predators
3.) The predators were total pussies
4.) Was filmed for PG-13

A darker R rated version of the film with more Aliens and Predators kicking ass would have been good.

AVPr did waste lot of time with shitty characters no one cared about, but at least it was made for R and had some actually kick ass action.

Puddles

Banned
Melchiah said:
-The sentry scenes.

The first time I ever watched the film, it was the director's cut. I don't think I've ever actually seen the theatrical. But I can't imagine how they could possibly cut those scenes. To me, those scenes are crucial. They add so much to the characters, and they're a big part of the reason why Aliens is a bona-fide masterpiece and not just some schlocky scifi horror film. Not to mention that the scene with Newt's parents effectively jump-starts the horror aspect of the film.

Furret

Banned
Puddles said:
The first time I ever watched the film, it was the director's cut. I don't think I've ever actually seen the theatrical. But I can't imagine how they could possibly cut those scenes. To me, those scenes are crucial. They add so much to the characters, and they're a big part of the reason why Aliens is a bona-fide masterpiece and not just some schlocky scifi horror film. Not to mention that the scene with Newt's parents effectively jump-starts the horror aspect of the film.

All those scenes are absolutely terrible and the reasons for cutting them are blindingly obvious.

Ripley's baby makes the relationship with Newt much too straightforward, as if she's just on the rebound. In the theatrical version it's the first time that Ripley shows any genuine human empathy, as if Newt has been the first to bring it out in her. (Also, as Cameron commented at the time, Weaver's acting isn't very good when she finds out about her child's death.)

The scenes with Newt's parents make it far too obvious what's happened, ruining the tension of the marines' arrival.

The sentry gun scene portrays the aliens as mindless animals, completely at odds with the rest of the film (and Alien).

Truant

The film had a totally different vibe to it than the others. It was a lot more satirical and self-aware, and just more absurd in its form. Jeunet masturbated his style all over this. I personally think this is the only good part of the film, and that this quirkyness is kinda charming. It's just not good in any other department.

LowParry

Furret said:
The sentry gun scene portrays the aliens as mindless animals, completely at odds with the rest of the film (and Alien).

If I remember right, wasn't it explained in a way that the aliens were testing ways through their barricade methods? I didn't view that scene as them being mindless. More like they were testing to see how long they'd last or maybe a diversion.

Furret said:
Actually that scene does exactly the opposite since they stopped attacking and decided to find another way in as it was clear they werent going to get in that way (unless they attacked for a few more seconds) so it shows how smart they really are.

Furret

Banned
CcrooK said:
If I remember right, wasn't it explained in a way that the aliens were testings ways through their barricade methods? I didn't view that scene as them being mindless. More like they were testing to see how long they'd last or maybe a diversion.

They may have said something like that, but the scene went on forever and dozens of aliens were killed for ultimately no reason whatsoever.

Compare this to the way they acted when the marines discovered the nest or when the came in through the ceiling in medical.

In general Aliens does portray the creatures with less individual intelligence than Alien, but in this scene it totally tips the balance and completely changes the audience perception of them.

The theatrical cut is vastly superior.

LowParry

Furret said:
They may have said something like that, but the scene went on forever and dozens of aliens were killed for ultimately no reason whatsoever.

Compare this to the way they acted when the marines discovered the nest or when the came in through the ceiling in medical.

In general Aliens does portray the creatures with less individual intelligence than Alien, but in this scene it totally tips the balance and completely changes the audience perception of them.

I'll have to check it out again. Been a while since I've watched it. Got the Quad incoming this week. :)

Tedesco!

Furret said:
All those scenes are absolutely terrible and the reasons for cutting them are blindingly obvious.

Ripley's baby makes the relationship with Newt much too straightforward, as if she's just on the rebound. In the theatrical version it's the first time that Ripley shows any genuine human empathy, as if Newt has been the first to bring it out in her. (Also, as Cameron commented at the time, Weaver's acting isn't very good when she finds out about her child's death.)

The scenes with Newt's parents make it far too obvious what's happened, ruining the tension of the marines' arrival.

I wouldn't say that they they're terrible scenes. Knowing that Ripley's child grew old and died without Ripley only reinforces Ripley's desire to do right by Newt, as if helping Newt will somehow make up for the lost time with Ripley's daughter.

I also don't see how the scene with Newt's parents ruins any tension. You are shown the facehuggers before you see the Aliens in the Theatrical Cut. They discuss what happens when a facehugger attacks. I don't see how that kills any tension.

The sentry gun scene only reinforces the fact that the Aliens are an intelligent species, as it forces the Aliens to find another way in.

Furret said:

No it doesn't, it shows that they are a learning and smart. The scene did not go on forever either, it was like less than 3 minutes of Aliens trying to approach from two different areas. It shows that they have an actual survival instinct and they do discuss it in the film.

The aliens are not geniuses, they don't know things about technology, but they are shown to be capabl of learning things that no bug or animal would. Alien did not show us anything that suggested that it was intelligent other than natural hunting instinct.

Melchiah

I'm going to watch Alien 3 and Resurrection again this week as well, so can anyone tell me what are the differences between the theatrical version and the director's cut? I'm not really in the mood for watching the 3rd, unless there are major differences and/or extra scenes.

Furret

Banned
Tedesco! said:
I wouldn't say that they they're terrible scenes. Knowing that Ripley's child grew old and died without Ripley only reinforces Ripley's desire to do right by Newt, as if helping Newt will somehow make up for the lost time with Ripley's daughter.

I also don't see how the scene with Newt's parents ruins any tension. You are shown the facehuggers before you see the Aliens in the Theatrical Cut. They discuss what happens when a facehugger attacks. I don't see how that kills any tension.

The sentry gun scene only reinforces the fact that the Aliens are an intelligent species, as it forces the Aliens to find another way in.

Taking a good 10 minutes and dozens of deaths to realise that it's dangerous to go a certain way down a corridor is a sign of high intelligence? A small cat could have worked that one out after the first bullet was fired.

The facehuggers aren't seen until the marines enter the complex in the theatrical cut, up until that point you also aren't given any hint as to what has happened. As far as the audience is concerned the colonists could have been attacked by space jockeys or left the planet.

Newt's family scene is not only unnecessary from a story perspective it spells out too much of what will happen.

As for Ripley's kid, it's just more interesting to find her bonding naturally with Newt. Again, watch the films up until that point - she's pretty much an ice queen in both films until she meets Newt.

Furret said:
Taking a good 10 minutes and dozens of deaths to realise that it's dangerous to go a certain way down a corridor is a sign of high intelligence? A small cat could have worked that one out after the first bullet was fired..

It wasn't 10 minutes, not even close to 5.

By this logic cats are smarter than most military commanders. It is common that "troops" are sent to their death to learn a valuable lesson, and your dealing with a species that is not as intelligent as a human. Alien drones are expendable, if they were truly stupid "bugs" they would have kept going until every alien in the complex was dead.

Ollie Pooch

In a perfect world, we'd all be homersexual
Furret said:
Taking a good 10 minutes and dozens of deaths to realise that it's dangerous to go a certain way down a corridor is a sign of high intelligence? A small cat could have worked that one out after the first bullet was fired.
To be fair, small cats aren't hell bent on impregnating humans to reproduce.

It probably does make them seem more like a mindless horde (was this scene 10 minutes? it seemed much shorter from memory), but the whole sequence with the group holed up in the Operations room and the claustrophobic feeling is made even more effective by the sentry scene, I think. It's the sense of impending doom that someone mentioned earlier that makes it so effective.

I love how this thread slamming Resurrection has turned into one singing the praises of my favourite movie - I really could talk about it all night. Must watch it soon.

Tedesco!

Furret said:
The facehuggers aren't seen until the marines enter the complex in the theatrical cut, up until that point you also aren't given any hint as to what has happened. As far as the audience is concerned the colonists could have been attacked by space jockeys or left the planet.

Never mind it is a sequel to a movie called Alien...

The company finds Ripley floating in hyperspace after destroying her ship escaping from an alien. She has a dream about a chestburster. The planet on which the derelict ship full of alien eggs resides also happens to be the same planet that the company is colonizing. En route to the planet all they do is talk about aliens. Of course the audience should think the colony was attacked by space jockeys.

Newt's family scene is not only unnecessary from a story perspective it spells out too much of what will happen.

How does it spell out too much? The family rolls up to a ship, and the dad gets a facehugger. That's it. What does it give away? If anything, it better explains how the colony was attacked, considering the planet looks different from the first film and the use of the name Archeron/LV-426.

The movie is called Aliens. Don't you go into it knowing you're going to see Aliens?

dalyr95

I disagree. The only extra scene I hated was the bit with Newt's parents, ruined the tension and "surprise" of what happened to the colony.

The sentry guns show they adapt their tactics and are intelligent creatures along with "They cut the fucking power man!"

Daughter scene explains why Ripley is so protective of Newt after having lost a daughter (who was a similar age when she saw her last)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom