• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Alien Resurrection... wtf is this, I don't even...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr. Sam

Lot of Alien threads lately, huh? My definitive order:

1. Alien
=1. Aliens
2. Alien 3
3. Those shitty cash-in cross-overs
4. Alien Resurrection

Man

Zenith said:
they removed its penis entirely. It was meant to have both sets of genitals (penis coming out of giant vagina).

in fact in all of Ressurection there's only 1 full-frontal shot of the alien hybird and that's when it walks towards Ripley on the Betty. the penis is removed and the vagina's outline and folds less pronounced.

here's the original model:

450px-Alien-_Resurrection_-_Newborn.jpg

and here's what was used

new_born_3.jpg

4075364864_af1245b9fa.jpg

note the sagging boobs, stretch marks and massacred vagina.

this last pic showing the proportions makes it look quite the abomination:
1645361a0.jpg.size-300_square-true.jpg
Kinda... *gulp*

MjFrancis

It was a thorough waste of Jean-Pierre Jeunet's talent. Every other movie he has directed is phenomenal - Delicatessen, City of Lost Children, Amélie, A Very Long Engagement - but a desire to break into Hollywood must have distorted his judgment and he took on a horrible script.

Oh, wait, screenwriting credits go to Josh Whedon, it all makes sense now.

WrikaWrek said:
Ron Perlman was the only decent thing about this movie. For all the wrong reasons.

I don't know. I liked the idea of a
robot
Winona Ryder. Made me hope I could buy one for myself.

WrikaWrek

Banned
MjFrancis said:
It was a thorough waste of Jean-Pierre Jeunet's talent. Every other movie he has directed is phenomenal - Delicatessen, City of Lost Children, Amélie, A Very Long Engagement - but a desire to break into Hollywood must have distorted his judgment and he took on a horrible script.

Luc Besson directed it.

edit: Or not. the fuck, always thought it had been him

Raydeen

I knew this movie was doomed when the most exciting thing the director could talk about in the previews was the fact the film stock had extra nitro in it to give it a more silver washed out look.

teiresias

Whedon constantly blames others when something he wrote goes to crap, since he apparently believes it can't be his writing. Whether it's Alien Resurrection where he pretty much blames everyone from the director, the casting director, the production designer, the lighting designer, the composer, Weaver, and on and on, or if it's the infamous 'what happens to a toad when it's struck by lighting?" line in X-Men where he at least relegates his blame only to Bryan Singer and Halle Berry.

Seriously, it will be a miracle if Avengers isn't an eye-roll inducing, nauseating experience; if it is Whedon will blame it on Robert Downey, Jr. probably.

Dead

well not really...yet
MjFrancis said:

Pretty much.

Looking forward to Avengers ;P

selig

Banned
okay, its pretty obvious that you WANT to hate this movie.

action was bad? uhm, no. the diving-scene alone was just fantastic, also featured typical Alien-horror (dear god, a shark would have been bad, but no, aliens underwater closing in to you, wha!).

I really like this movie. Sure, compared to the greatness of Alien 2 and Alien 3, it´s slightly worse, but it´s still a very entertaining movie with lots of typical Alien-moments.

Raist

Banned
Was indeed mediocre. Still better than 2 and 3 though.
Another prime example of "Let's ruin a masterpiece with poor sequels"

Zenith

Banned
Raist said:
Generic action movie full of cliché characters. Way to go, Cameron.

those weren't cliché, those were the characters that set the bar for all action movies. They only seem cliché because so many other films have copied them.

How many lines get quoted from those characters "game over, man, game over", "stop your grinnin' and drop your linen", "nuke it from orbit, only way to be sure", "what are we supposed to use, bad language?"

Patryn

Raist said:

They are cliche BECAUSE of Aliens. Seriously, they were pretty much the first to do all of them. Any time you see that cliche, I guarantee they are ripping off Aliens.

Also: Creating such a brilliant Vietnam War metaphor makes it not generic. Because that was what Cameron was doing: Making a Vietnam flick.

Edit: You know...what Zenith said.

Jin34

Raist said:

Wow this is almos as bad as the Halo fan in Bungie.net that accused Cameron of ripping off Halo in Avatar :lol

G-Fex

it's awful, like Doom. But at least doom is funny cause you can laugh at how bad everyone acts in that movie.

I saw it so long ago that I really can't remember anything about it. I do remember my opinion of it though. I kind of liked the first half, and the underwater scene was cool. Then I was watching the ending and thinking "What the fuck did I just watch?!". It was like the second half of the film was just a massive train wreck.

G-Fex said:
it's awful, like Doom. But at least doom is funny cause you can laugh at how bad everyone acts in that movie.

I have never seen Doom, and I never will.

G-Fex

Barberetti said:
I saw it so long ago that I really can't remember anything about it. I do remember my opinion of it though. I kind of liked the first half, and the underwater scene was cool. Then I was watching the ending and thinking "What the fuck did I just watch?!". It was like the second half of the film was just a massive train wreck.

I have never seen Doom, and I never will.

Good, it's good not to see them take your favorite game and sully it's name.

Raist

Banned
Patryn said:
They are cliche BECAUSE of Aliens. Seriously, they were pretty much the first to do all of them. Any time you see that cliche, I guarantee they are ripping off Aliens.

Also: Creating such a brilliant Vietnam War metaphor makes it not generic. Because that was what Cameron was doing: Making a Vietnam flick.

Edit: You know...what Zenith said.

Just because they were the "first" doesn't mean they were poor characters. He didn't need to turn Alien into a Vietnam flick either, he was writing Rambo II at the same time.

Raydeen

AR also has the stupidest scene ever seen in a Alien movie (yes even worse then Alien 3) - when the leader of the mercs, stops, walks down a long corridor on his own to retrive a gun, even tho he has three already...and gets pulled down and killed by an alien.

Or CAL and her magic door....when she falls into the water...and magically gets around the door plot device that the whole previous scene was built around.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Yeah, that movie made no fucking sense at all. What a waste of a concept.

Speaking of awful movies - just saw Legion last night. WTF was that shit....

I love Alien: Ressurection but i know that i'm in a tiny minority with that.

It is easily the most gorgeous in the series. I think the problem that most people have with it is that they are not familiar with Jeunet's work. He's one of my favourite directors and this movie is very typical for him.

I tend to judge it much more as a Jeunet movie then as a Alien movie hence i like it so much.

Raist said:
Just because they were the "first" doesn't mean they were poor characters. He didn't need to turn Alien into a Vietnam flick either, he was writing Rambo II at the same time.
But you said they were cliche and they weren't. Your opinion of them is another matter.

Yasae

Banned
BattleMonkey said:
Joss Whedon wrote the movie. According to him the characters were all wrong and that his idea for it was basically what the cast of Firefly became. Though I don't see how that would have fit in an Aliens movie.
Read my mind. I didn't know he actually said that.. I just assumed.

WrikaWrek

Banned
Raist said:

You know, i always thought you had some shitty ass taste on the other side. I'm glad to see i wasn't reading you wrong.

it was a significant waste of Juenet's beautiful filmmaking skills, but I found myself entertained. I'm also a sucker for Michael Wincott- although I wish he was alive longer in the film. :D

Amazing that Weaver had to be Juenet's translator through the whole film. :lol

Raist

Banned
WrikaWrek said:
You know, i always thought you had some shitty ass taste on the other side. I'm glad to see i wasn't reading you wrong.

Oh noes, please don't hurt my feelings :(

Zenith

Banned
Raist said:

You are a bad person and you should feel bad.

Raist

Banned
BlackGoku03 said:
But you said they were cliche and they weren't. Your opinion of them is another matter.

They are, in the sense that, unless I'm not aware of it, cliché characters isn't exactly a positive judgement.
I just find it amusing that people would thus use the term "cliché" for poor, boring characters, but all of a sudden the very same kind of characters are amazing if they were the "first ones". And I'm not even sure of that last bit either anyways.

So ignore the term if its use disturbs you, but I fail to see how Aliens' characters are good in any way, and the movie was so far apart from the first one and its main theme felt so out of place that it was the worst of the bunch IMO.

teiresias said:
or if it's the infamous 'what happens to a toad when it's struck by lighting?" line in X-Men where he at least relegates his blame only to Bryan Singer and Halle Berry.
In his defense, she does deliver that line horribly.

Wow at the penisgina. Somehow I never even noticed the final versions vag.

"Hey HR Giger, can you design us an alien with a penis?"

"But its already made out of penises!"

Patryn

Raist said:
They are, in the sense that, unless I'm not aware of it, cliché characters isn't exactly a positive judgement.
I just find it amusing that people would thus use the term "cliché" for poor, boring characters, but all of a sudden the very same kind of characters are amazing if they were the "first ones". And I'm not even sure of that last bit either anyways.

So ignore the term if its use disturbs you, but I fail to see how Aliens' characters are good in any way, and the movie was so far apart from the first one and its main theme felt so out of place that it was the worst of the bunch IMO.

You do know that cliche doesn't mean "poor, boring", right? It has a very specific definition? And, being the first thus matters very much when it comes to cliches? Because at that point the cliche doesn't exist?

If you just want to say you found the characters boring, that's fine. You're wrong, but it's your opinion. But criticizing them for being cliche characters just doesn't work.

And Rambo II is as much a Vietnam war flick as A League of Their Own is a World War 2 flick.

BattleMonkey said:
Joss Whedon wrote the movie. According to him the characters were all wrong and that his idea for it was basically what the cast of Firefly became. Though I don't see how that would have fit in an Aliens movie.

Yeah, Firefly is the wrong tone for Alien as well. Whedon can talk all he wants but he stuffed the script with drama draining jokes and paper thin motivations.

Sure A4 has two sequences from the script in different places, removed an action scene, and the actual ending ending was different but the story is essentially identical to his script. He wrote a very campy film without an escalating plot or story device that was designed to pay off. He deserves as much of the blame as anyone involved in that film.

Alien 3, in the extended cut, is a damn good movie. It just isn't a good sequel.

MetalAlien

Banned
Raist said:
I fail to see how Aliens' characters are good in any way, and the movie was so far apart from the first one and its main theme felt so out of place that it was the worst of the bunch IMO.

First, how does it feel to be so completely alone since Aliens is nearly universal hailed as one of the only sequels to live up to the original?

Second, some of the most beloved characters in cinema history are from Aliens.

Ripley goes from being a by the book annoying overly ambitious officer (in Alien) to a mature level headed leader.

Hudson, single handedly created more one liners than nearly any character...ever.

Burke, the perfect corporate slime ball getting what he deserves.

Vasquez, macho sexy female badass that has never been fully topped only copied.

Drake, hardcore death machine only showing his soft side to Vasquez.

Hicks, loyalty, respect, honor, wisdom.

Newt, plucky survivor in an insane situation. She is both reason to have hope, and reason for them to fight to the death.

Gorman, cocky officer that Ripley use to be, only he learns his lessons too late.

Bishop, you are not sure what side he's on until the very end where he chooses us over them.

Great movie, it is your severe loss to be unable to appreciate it.

teiresias said:
Whedon constantly blames others when something he wrote goes to crap, since he apparently believes it can't be his writing. Whether it's Alien Resurrection where he pretty much blames everyone from the director, the casting director, the production designer, the lighting designer, the composer, Weaver, and on and on, or if it's the infamous 'what happens to a toad when it's struck by lighting?" line in X-Men where he at least relegates his blame only to Bryan Singer and Halle Berry.

I thought David Hayter wrote the screenplay for X-men? After a quick look, it appears he(Joss Whedon) wrote a draft and some things he wrote were implemented into the final movie, but I didn't see anything specific. Wiki says 2 dialogue exchanges made it into the final film.

Anyway, I wouldn't want to die the way that human-alien died at the end. That's my opinion on Alien Resurrection.

Also, didn't Sigourney Weaver really make that basket?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FF44YvDVP8Y

Yes she did. I should stop writing my facts, before checking them. But at least you get to see my train of thought.

Edited to make a little clearer.

Alien: Resurrection didn't kill Hicks or Newt off in the first 5 minutes of the movie, which automatically makes it superior to Alien 3. Don't argue with my logic!

selig

Banned
Gooster said:
Alien: Resurrection didn't kill Hicks or Newt off in the first 5 minutes of the movie, which automatically makes it superior to Alien 3. Don't argue with my logic!

So you would have preferred another Alien-movie about Ripley protecting an annoying little child? Yeah, no thanks. Alien 3 was great, probably the alien-movie I rewatched the most times.

Yasae

Banned
Gooster said:
Those were the worst characters in the film.

Did anybody watch Aliens? Jesus christ. Give me a Ripley, rebuilt Bishop, resurrected Vasquez, and maybe a cloned Drake or something. Not Newt and Hicks.

EDIT: I wouldn't mind an Apone either!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom