• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple TV |OT|

empyrean

Gave in and bought one. First impression: "really Apple. I pay a lot of money (relative to other streaming devices) and find out you cheaper out by not including a hdmi cable in the box"

I really hope Apple's next revision to this is willing to throw out a lot of the existing concepts in order to get it right (just like watchOS 3 did). I think the Apple TV really, really needs to also carry built-in microphone functionality like the Amazon Echo (and it'd be nice if it could function as a WiFi base station too while they're at it). As-is, despite having an app store, it still feels like a 'hobby' and not a serious contender product yet.

empyrean

Maybe a stupid question but ummm is there no way to view my iTunes movie collection other than to go to the "movie" app and then scroll to the "purchased" tab? No way to custom sort or change the view etc?

Quasar

Maybe a stupid question but ummm is there no way to view my iTunes movie collection other than to go to the "movie" app and then scroll to the "purchased" tab? No way to custom sort or change the view etc?

Not really. Not even if you download them to a pc running itunes. There it just offers three sort order options.

And how would you sort them? Its got reverse purchaee order, alphabetical and genre.

Quasar

I really hope Apple's next revision to this is willing to throw out a lot of the existing concepts in order to get it right (just like watchOS 3 did). I think the Apple TV really, really needs to also carry built-in microphone functionality like the Amazon Echo (and it'd be nice if it could function as a WiFi base station too while they're at it). As-is, despite having an app store, it still feels like a 'hobby' and not a serious contender product yet.

And there you're just adding a lot of expense to function as a access point and a always on multi-array mic and speaker.

Personally I've come round on the latter not being a good idea. I'd hate to see that as their answer to alexa/google home given how it limits the use cases as it means it being connected to an on tv set.

NetMapel

Guilty White Male Mods Gave Me This Tag
I sort of refuse to buy movies/tv shows from iTunes until they implement rent-to-buy function. I don't mind renting a movie and buy it if it is good. But I hate the idea of basically double paying if I buy the rented show afterward. Just subject the rental price from the buy price, is that so hard? :p

Last year, Apple shelved its plan to sell you TV. Now Apple has a new plan: Tell you what’s on TV and help you watch it.

Apple has started talking to TV programmers and other video companies about creating a digital TV guide that would work on both Apple TV boxes and other Apple devices, like iPhones.

The idea is to let users see what kind of programming is available in video apps made by the likes of HBO, Netflix and ESPN, without having to open up each app individually, and to play shows and movies with a single click.

http://www.recode.net/2016/8/4/12379572/apple-tv-guide

Sounds useful enough. Probably tvos 11 or later.

http://www.recode.net/2016/8/4/12379572/apple-tv-guide

Sounds useful enough. Probably tvos 11 or later.
Sounds like the search index already has a lot of the infrastructure for this.

I'd love for two features to get added: alerts to tell you when a film/show pops up on a subscription service you have, and a centralized watch progress list (so if e.g. you watch the first 45 minutes of a movie on Netflix, iTunes knows that and can start you where you left off after the movie is no longer on Netflix if you choose to buy/rent it, or HBO GO knows it if that movie pops up there).

kuppy

Had a power outage yesterday and today the Apple TV remote wasn't working responsively. Didn't connect those two dots at first and was quite surprised by it.

Recharging the remote didn't help. Restarting the Apple TV didn't help. Repairing the remote didn't help.
Pulling the power cable for 30 seconds did the trick though.
Maybe something for you to keep in mind if you come into a similar situation.

The more I think about the digital TV guide (and the fact that the Siri search index essentially already provides a lot of the information required to make it happen), the more I think it'd be a serious power move by Apple in the cord-cutting wars - specifically, in the sense that it'd be aggregating the assorted TV services and getting closer to the customer than they are, and that represents a way to control the entire experience *and* transform them into simple suppliers who can be negotiated with (rather than people with a direct relationship to the customer).

It seems like such a simple thing but I can see why cable companies and Hulu/HBO/Netflix would be wary.

I can also see how in some minor ways it might damage the user experience - really, only with regard to Netflix, since I believe their metadata/algorithm/recommendation game is stronger than Apple's.

However, it'd be great for tvOS to add the ability to e.g. queue up multiple shows from multiple providers so you can just sit back and watch.

Still think the greatest weakness of the AppleTV is that the Siri Remote kinda sucks, but as a platform for aggregation it actually seems stronger than I had thought at first glance.

Quasar

The more I think about the digital TV guide (and the fact that the Siri search index essentially already provides a lot of the information required to make it happen), the more I think it'd be a serious power move by Apple in the cord-cutting wars - specifically, in the sense that it'd be aggregating the assorted TV services and getting closer to the customer than they are, and that represents a way to control the entire experience *and* transform them into simple suppliers who can be negotiated with (rather than people with a direct relationship to the customer).

It seems like such a simple thing but I can see why cable companies and Hulu/HBO/Netflix would be wary.

I can also see how in some minor ways it might damage the user experience - really, only with regard to Netflix, since I believe their metadata/algorithm/recommendation game is stronger than Apple's.

I just expect I'd find it useless if apples cross app search is any guide with basically all the services I use not included. And thats leaving aside how Apple leaves it all languishing outside the US.

Deku Tree

http://www.loopinsight.com/2016/08/26/this-should-not-happen-when-you-sit-on-your-apple-tv-remote/

When the Loop criticizes your remote like this, then you know that you have a problem.

BrokenRemote.jpg

The remote was laying at the back of a chair, positioned at an unfortunate angle. One sit-down later, and kablooey, you can see the results. The plastic shattered, the remote bent, and the glass shattered to powder. Pretty amazing, actually.

Well, now they’re making television remotes out of fine china. Our’s bounced off the couch and hit the (hard) floor. Completely shattered. Just think of the irony…Apple goes on about how this remote is perfect for gaming, and then they make it out of a freaking wine glass.

My 2 cents, Apple should work on making a more durable remote. In the meantime, I will be making do with the Remote app on my iPhone and feeling a little disappointed.

Blackhead

Redarse
What's wrong with the remote? It feels very sleek in your hand the touchpad is great and unless you sit on it or drop it I'm sure it will be fine for a while.

Fixing the Apple Remote
iMore said:
It's almost impossible to tell which side is up and the buttons aren't as intuitive as they could be

How to fix the new Apple TV’s remote
Marco said:
Picking up the remote in any orientation... should never result in accidental input. Picking it up should feel safe.

Sesuadra

Unconfirmed Member
I can't wait for the dark skin for the Apple TV. Every evening the blinding lights..

Just needed to get that of my chest

Quasar

Even the most diehard Apple fans I know don't like the Apple TV remote.

I actually prefer using my Steelseries Nimbus to control the Apple TV.

Certainly my parents who I bought one for really dislike it. Its the touchpad they dislike. They really much prefer buttons like on the ATV 2/3 or any other remote. As they've never really used trackpads before and not having as fine motor dexterity due to age I'd not considered their issues. Wish there was a third party button remote I could buy for them.

Me...I'm fine with it for the most part. Wish it wasnt slim like it is and wish it wasnt symmetrical and wish it was backlit, but I'm generally fine with it.

adroit

I bought a classic AppleTV remote at the local Apple store today. Works perfectly with the "new" AppleTV. I've officially retired the Siri remote.

So we getting tvOS 10 today? iOS and watchOS pages at apple.com say release today, but tvOS just says coming soon.

They have released the GM though, so can't be far off.

Phreaker

Installing now. So, does this update have the solution in place so that you don't have to go to websites and type activation codes every so often for each App?

Phreaker

no, it's "coming soon"

OFFS, that was the only thing I even knew about this update and was really looking forward to. That is by far the worst thing for me about Apple TV. I have a lot of Apps, and well if you do, then I don't need to tell you. :) Oh well, at least it's still coming.

Quasar

Got the new tvOs installed.

Pretty low impact update, but I do like most of the changes. Dark mode is so much better for my projector.

I do like the dark mode, just wish it was inherited by apps.

Happy to see that the changelog for apps has been restored.

I'm not seeing any improvement with siri, despite Apples claims.

The Apple Music update seems a bit better, though its hard to tell as I'm no a subscriber.

Ninja Dom

Noob question.

In the YouTube app how do you get it to update to the latest videos in your Subscriptions without quitting the app using the task manager (double top right button press) and reloading it?

GWX

Noob question.

In the YouTube app how do you get it to update to the latest videos in your Subscriptions without quitting the app using the task manager (double top right button press) and reloading it?

No way that I know of. Shitty ass app.

SteaG

Noob question.

I've noticed that entering and then leaving any channel page force an update of the app.

I'm really starting to get pissed off with the lack of VUDU and Amazon Video apps, even if they were just pure video players like on iOS

Thinking about picking up an AppleTV 4.

Question: Can Infuse play MKV from an SMB share? Is Infuse still the go-to?

Also, what about side-loading Kodi? Anyone have any experience with that? Can that play MKVs on an SMB share?

Fox1304

Thinking about picking up an AppleTV 4.

Also, what about side-loading Kodi? Anyone have any experience with that? Can that play MKVs on an SMB share?

I've infused both Infuse and Plex. Both are a godsend on the ATV. Totally changed my way to consume content.

dock

Infuse is the killer app for Apple TV 4 if you have network media storage. MKVs work great, and I like the subtitle downloading feature.
It's well worth the price imo.

Top Bottom