• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple TV |OT|

Guess Who

Banned
You know what they should've used instead of a trackpad on this remote?

An iPod scroll wheel. I'm serious. Four buttons in the cardinal directions to act like a d-pad and a center button to select, just like the old remote had - but a scrollable touch strip as well to scroll vertical lists and scrub through videos. Would've been so much better than this tiny imprecise trackpad shit.

jts

...hate me...
I don't know, I really like the Siri Remote. Loved when I found out about left and right edge clicks - just as precise as having 2 buttons there.

Plus I think the spin around a circle to move/scroll metaphor is dead and burried and Apple has no intention of bringing it back, and I think it's reasonable. Direct scrolling (inverse or not) is consistent throughout the whole ecosystem - I guess a case could be made for the Digital Crown in the Apple Watch, but even that is akin to direct scrolling when viewed from a 2D plane.

dock

I really hate the Siri Remote. It is such garbage. Utter trash.

I gave up using Siri, and I mostly use my Apple TV for Infuse and Netflix.

The swipes are either way too sensitive or barely responsive. Too often button presses are registered as swipes, and swipes aren't registered at all. I would prefer to set my TV's remote control to control the Apple TV, but doing this hogs the 'home' and 'settings' buttons making it impractical in a bunch of cases.

https://itunes.apple.com/app/id1136220915?mt=8&ign-mpt=uo=4
On a separate matter, it looks like Infuse 5 pro offers a few Apple TV features over Infuse 4 pro, such as streaming from dropbox/onedrive etc, and cloud sync for recently watched, etc. It doesn't seem to offer very much though, and seems mostly as an excuse to switch to subscription pay model on the non-pro version of the software.

Aiii

So not worth it
I love the trackpad. Didn't take me long to get used to at all and it really does make navigation a lot less cumbersome than the old four-point directional buttons.

I wish Apple would hurry up with a UHDP AppleTV. It's so annoying having to go between multiple devices to play UHD vs. non-UHD content.

I'm sure it'll drop in Fall 2017.

I'm really liking the Apple TV. There are two things that keep it, and me, from becoming a multiple purchase.

1) Amazon. I was hoping with the Grand Tour being on now, it would have given some incentive for this to happen. I guess not. I guess I'll have to either have multiple devices, or dedicate an old phone to casting it.

2) 4K. While this isn't a concern for me for awhile, it would have been nice. Otherwise, I like it better than I do the Roku, mainly due to Roku's requirements for app UI. PS Vue on the Roku is not a pleasant experience, but is great on the Fire TV and Apple TV.

Lexxism

This is probably a dumb question but I'll ask it anyway. If I bought a movie on iTunes, I will be able to play it on the apple tv right?

Quasar

I love the trackpad. Didn't take me long to get used to at all and it really does make navigation a lot less cumbersome than the old four-point directional buttons.

I find it alright. I do wish there was alt controllers with just buttons though. My parents have quite a bit of trouble using it compared to button remotes and that would make integration with a universal remote easier.

Quasar

I wish Apple would hurry up with a UHDP AppleTV. It's so annoying having to go between multiple devices to play UHD vs. non-UHD content.

I'm sure it'll drop in Fall 2017.

Well I'm having to do that anyway given Apple won't let apps output 24p or the main audio formats. But yeah. And I don't see Apple doing it till they are ready to sell 4K content on iTunes.

Plus of course I own some play content. And whilst I can watch it through YouTube the audio is limited to stereo for some reason.

jts

...hate me...
I find it alright. I do wish there was alt controllers with just buttons though. My parents have quite a bit of trouble using it compared to button remotes and that would make integration with a universal remote easier.

I’m not sure... but I think there is undocumented compatibility with the old Apple Remote.

MM4T2

Of course, stuff like the home button doesn’t exist. No microphone either.

I can try this out tomorrow.

Aiii

So not worth it

As the others said: Apple TV 4 can be controlled with the older model Apple TV's remote. No installation required, just point and click.

Alternatively, it uses HDMI-CEC, so you can also use your TV remote's navigational and pause/play/stop buttons to use and navigate the Apple TV.

And yes, universal remotes work, too: http://www.idownloadblog.com/2015/11/04/how-to-universal-remote-apple-tv/

MrMephistoX

Anyone having weird freezing issues with Direct TV Now and Netflix recently?

The ATV just locks up and I can't navigate back to the home menu without hitting menu several times, even after restarting things are often frozen when I access the apps afresh. Not sure if it's the app or my ATV.

Quasar

As the others said: Apple TV 4 can be controlled with the older model Apple TV's remote. No installation required, just point and click.

Alternatively, it uses HDMI-CEC, so you can also use your TV remote's navigational and pause/play/stop buttons to use and navigate the Apple TV.

And yes, universal remotes work, too: http://www.idownloadblog.com/2015/11/04/how-to-universal-remote-apple-tv/

None support siri though. Well unless there's a high end harmony that has a mic. And I assume you lose volume control with an old ATV remote as well.

Guess Who

Banned
I guess someone at Netflix finally acquired common sense because a recent update appears to have finally made My List appear near the top of the list instead of the very bottom.

not sure I get the TV app... I have unwatched shows in Hulu, but the TV app says I'm all caught up? Isn't it supposed to sync what's in the other apps into TV?

Shit I forgot about that. This is all Netflix's decision, right? Hopefully they'll enable it.

Hopefully we see expanded support down the road. Even for apps that don't have a cable sign-in, like Crackle and The CW app. If it can evolve into a powerful streaming hub I think it would be killer

Edit: as of right now, is there a list of apps compatible with TV?

Edit 2: oh there's one in the app itself. I'm smart I swear

seems like you have to watch a show in another app, then I will appear in the TV app.

Correct. So the TV app doesn't embed anything, it just keeps track of progress and does some deep searching recommendations. Which has actually been pretty good so far! A lot of movies I didn't know were on my various streaming services popped up

Quasar

Surprised to see Crunchyroll included in the TV add support.

Though the genres thing is totally screwed. The TV app listing Shirobako as a scifi show for instance.

Overall though I do think this extra layer is pretty awkward.

Guess Who

Banned
I like the idea of the TV app a lot. People don't really care about streaming services and networks, they care about shows, and simply use services and networks as a means to get shows. So creating a UI around managing shows directly across multiple different services is absolutely the right thing to do for a modern TV box. The problem, of course, is that it's dependent on networks to get on board, which goes against their self-interest because it makes them less important.

Like, conceptually it's great, but until it works with every show and service I use, it's not good enough.

Quasar

I like the idea of the TV app a lot. People don't really care about streaming services and networks, they care about shows, and simply use services and networks as a means to get shows. So creating a UI around managing shows directly across multiple different services is absolutely the right thing to do for a modern TV box. The problem, of course, is that it's dependent on networks to get on board, which goes against their self-interest because it makes them less important.

Like, conceptually it's great, but until it works with every show and service I use, it's not good enough.

What I find awkward is that its just a layer on top of the apps rather than a replacement, so you still have to navigate through the apps and then back out to apples interface. Of course that would get even less takeup by services than it is now.

Still waiting for them to add local storage stuff like the TBs of ripped dvds I have to the app or any search function. The fact that I can search locally stored music in the Computer app but not movies or tv shows still sucks.

Guess Who

Banned
What I find awkward is that its just a layer on top of the apps rather than a replacement, so you still have to navigate through the apps and then back out to apples interface. Of course that would get even less takeup by services than it is now.

I think that's the long-term end game, but yeah, as long as Hulu/HBO/Showtime/et al. need their cut, we're still a long ways off from that.

Quasar

I think that's the long-term end game, but yeah, as long as Hulu/HBO/Showtime/et al. need their cut, we're still a long ways off from that.

Well I don't know if that's the issue. I mean Amazon seems to be managing, having those extra services adding into Prime, which I assuming are all accessible via the amazon video app.

So you could just have apple tv app where you have to login to those other services. Of course I don't know if app makers want to give up control of the interface or user data to Apple. That latter point is why I think Netflix is baulking.

kuppy

Is there a way to disable the new home button function?
Edit: Yes, Settings - Remotes and Devices - Home Button: Home Screen. Good.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area

a little confused here. You don't navigate through the apps... (aside from those not included). Everything surfaces through the TV app. and the TV app knows (through Siri suggestion and integration) what shows and movies are on those apps.

So in reality the TV app is an entire replacement interface (in theory) for ALL of the supported apps.

Now I will admit that the app is WAY WAY WAY YMMV.. For me personally, it has been transcendent. However I also have four supported subs (HBO, Hulu, CBS, and Crunchyroll) as well as probably around a dozen TV Everywhere apps using a family member's credentials. So the benefit to me is aggregation of over a dozen apps worth of content. As an example, I have an anime listing that combines Hulu and Crunchyroll.. And clicking on ANY of them starts playing the episode right there. If Funimation (and obviously Netflix) ever partner in, that is ALL of my anime inside of one single UI.

Then again, if you have 0-1 subs.. and zero TV Everywhere apps (I say zero.. because if you have one then you in fact essentially have more than one), then I see how the TV app will seem oddly clunky.

Just a perspective from a household where the TV app ended up being ridiculously good. I'm really hoping Apple can sweet talk Netflix on there.. but man.. I also see why Netflix wants nothing to do with it. It directly flies in the face of one of Netflix's primary goals. To keep you in their app watching their content. With the TV app and lots of apps linked up to it, for YOU it's an insanely better experience.. but for providers (especially ones spending tons of money producing new content) it's their worst nightmare.. something that takes their content and disassociates it from their brand.. while mingling it in with the same sort of content from competitors.

I "sort of" disagree. While it could be better (c'mon Netflix!!!!!!), in just a day it has changed our habits from routinely going in 2-4 different apps a day to going into 1 app.

I'd also counter that the Netflix absence isn't as brutal as it COULD be, due to Netflix's lineup really only changing once a month. IMHO it is WAY more important for Apple to have secured providers whose content changes daily (as they have). So as it is.. I am really now going into one app in replacement of going into (over a given week) probably 6-9 different apps.

tl;dr I am now switching between TV and Netflix for my Apple TV content.. instead of:
Netflix
Hulu
Crunchyroll
CBS
AMC
FX
HBO
TBS
SyFy
USA
Bravo
DisneyXD

etc

borghe

basically..... if you have access to a TV Everywhere login, you are silly to not use the TV app. End of story. It basically becomes its own "service" by aggregating everything from all apps compatible with your TV Everywhere login

http://www.tveverywherenow.com/

Shown on that page are just traditional (copper) cable providers, but obviously it also include DirecTV, AT&T, Verizon, and a lot of channels are now supporting Sling.

I was really surprised at the sheer number of 2016 blockbuster movies I have access to. I mean I check HBO often.. but a lot of stuff on Hulu, FX, USA, TNT, etc.. that I didn't know either a) that movie was out or b) that channel/app carried new movies, etc.

basically your Apple TV 4 is a streaming box. Use your relative's cable TV login to get access to tons of streaming content all aggregated in one place.

Yep, I agree with all that. Unfortunately Comcast doesn't support single sign on yet so I have to do all the apps manually, but I use my own account for the streaming services and my parents' cable login for the other stuff and I have a crazy amount of content (and like you said, a shocking number of movies) to access

borghe

Yep, I agree with all that. Unfortunately Comcast doesn't support single sign on yet so I have to do all the apps manually, but I use my own account for the streaming services and my parents' cable login for the other stuff and I have a crazy amount of content (and like you said, a shocking number of movies) to access

oops. Thanks for reminding me (I had to clarify this for a buddy also).

SSO is NOT required for the TV app to work. It helps, but if your provider (or the channel's app) does not support SSO, a prompt will come up when signing in on the app saying "we're sorry, this app or provider doesn't support Single Sign On. You will have to sign in to your provider separately"

So if you are signed into SSO with one provider (or no providers), and an app pops up that isn't compatible with SSO or the provider your logged in with, you can still sign in to the app separately through a supported provider and add it to the TV app.

I was just talking to another buddy at work, who only has a Netflix sub (and Amazon, no Hulu), and apparently he doesn't have ANY access to TV Everywhere.. I was surprised.. but apparently there are people out there, and yeah... for those with 0-1 subs, and no TV Everywhere.. I can totally see turning off the TV app (err the remote to it). It doesn't add anything. But yeah, if you even have like 2-3 subs and ESPECIALLY if you have a TVE login.. I heartily recommend the TV app. IMHO it's the first thing in a while that apple's released where my immediate reaction was "holy shit. this is incredible. this is 100% a leg up over everyone else."

and almost GUARANTEED to be copied within the next six months by Google and Amazon.

Top Bottom