• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Arnold Schwarzenegger has a message for those who’ve chosen the path of hate. There's still time.

Husky

THE Prey 2 fanatic
The title made me think of this, very similar message
Wg1sufm.jpg

ACESHIGH

Banned
All in all It's a great message, but I wonder if he can put himself in the shoes of the civilians that were bombed by unmanned drones in the middle east. Or in the civilians of countries that suffered coups and dictatorships south of the border aided by (drum roll)... "the good guys"

After all, he talked about taking responsibility. It's long overdue. But it might be risky for his career.

Could have mentioned red based hatred ideologies that actually have a larger kill count as well. But he might stir some feathers there.

I literally only have one good friend who is Jewish. But super nice person. I went to school with her.

The hate on Jewish people brings a few things to mind:

- Hating on Jews is easy because according to Google there's only 15M Jews in the world. And most are in Israel. So it's easy to rag on Jewish people when they dont have numbers

- For all you Jewish people out there, stand proud. The reason why people hate on you is because they are moronic jealous lazy asses. Its amazing how much Jewish people have accomplished with so few people

- However, if you want fewer people hating on you, you got to stand up and fight back. Dont be too quiet and just let it pass quietly because I dont think the hate will really go away unless you make a stand publicly

- I never understood the hate. I've never ran into issues with any Jewish people I've met

ANDS

Thought gaf was racist. Now knows better, honorary gaffer 2022
All in all It's a great message, but I wonder if he can put himself in the shoes of the civilians that were bombed by unmanned drones in the middle east. Or in the civilians of countries that suffered coups and dictatorships south of the border aided by (drum roll)... "the good guys"

After all, he talked about taking responsibility. It's long overdue. But it might be risky for his career.

Could have mentioned red based hatred ideologies that actually have a larger kill count as well. But he might stir some feathers there.

If you response to a message of absolute positivity is "Yes, but. . ." then you are part of the problem.

Moneal

I literally only have one good friend who is Jewish. But super nice person. I went to school with her.

- Hating on Jews is easy because according to Google there's only 15M Jews in the world. And most are in Israel. So it's easy to rag on Jewish people when they dont have numbers

- For all you Jewish people out there, stand proud. The reason why people hate on you is because they are moronic jealous lazy asses. Its amazing how much Jewish people have accomplished with so few people

- However, if you want fewer people hating on you, you got to stand up and fight back. Dont be too quiet and just let it pass quietly because I dont think the hate will really go away unless you make a stand publicly

- I never understood the hate. I've never ran into issues with any Jewish people I've met
It really goes back really far. The catholic church made usury sin in the 12th century. This meant the only ones allowed to charge interest on money lent were basically jews. This allowed some jews to become quite wealthy. This caused a ton of jealousy. It's like how so many hate bankers today.

Edit: got my century wrong it was the 12th not 4th. The 4th was when it was banned for the clergy.

Last edited:

Mistake

I see antisemitic comments on some sites occasionally, but it’s usually downvoted hard. Pretty weird bandwagons some people get on.

That being said, Arnie is generally a decent guy, but his “fuck your freedom” comment really threw me off, and does even more so after this video. Kind of ironic

Last edited:

ACESHIGH

Banned
If you response to a message of absolute positivity is "Yes, but. . ." then you are part of the problem.

Great message if taken at face value but I don't believe history is as Saturday morning cartoonish as Arnold tries to portray here.
Stepping outside of the NATO sphere for a while helps to see the bigger picture. There are more than 200 countries in the world with different points of view.

Wasn't he gunning down latinos by the dozen in Commando? Never mind, those are evil...

Last edited:

Moneal

Great message if taken at face value but I don't believe history is as Saturday morning cartoonish as Arnold tries to portray here.
Stepping outside of the NATO sphere for a while helps to see the bigger picture. There are more than 200 countries in the world with different points of view.

Wasn't he gunning down latinos by the dozen in Commando? Never mind, those are evil...
Didn't the guys he kill in commando kidnap his daughter, and weren't most of them his old military buddies.

ANDS

Thought gaf was racist. Now knows better, honorary gaffer 2022

Yeah. You watched that video and took the wrong message from it. A hint: it isn't (exclusively) about Antisemitism.

Kilau

clown-your-wig-sir.gif

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch

Pretty sure commando wasn't a documentary...

I see antisemitic comments on some sites occasionally, but it’s usually downvoted hard. Pretty weird bandwagons some people get on.

That being said, Arnie is generally a decent guy, but his “fuck your freedom” comment really threw me off, and does even more so after this video. Kind of ironic
Wait, who said fuck your freedom and in what context? I didn't watch all of the video, because it just came off as lecturing me about something that I already agree with, which is that hate and antisemitism are stupid.

For more of a history lesson type video, I would strongly recommend watching this:

Last edited:

poodaddy

The Auschwitz stuff got me. I don't practice, but my family are German Jews. I'm aware that I'm lucky to even be here, as my great grandfather came to America before my grandfather was born. I don't understand how anyone can be racist at all, just utterly puzzling to me.

Arnie's a huge inspiration to me. He's such a treasure, and still a hell of a speaker.

Mistake

Wait, who said fuck your freedom and in what context? I didn't watch all of the video, because it just came off as lecturing me about something that I already agree with, which is that hate and antisemitism are stupid.

For more of a history lesson type video, I would strongly recommend watching this:

Arnie said those exact words during covid in an interview, pushing the vaccine. I understand his sentiment, but it doesn’t exactly jive with the history of Auschwitz and all…
Post edit: perhaps it was “screw your freedom” and I remembered incorrectly. Still not good

Last edited:

Clear

It was a nice speech and a nice sentiment, but it really misses the hard truth that evil deeds are often the result of good intentions.

The uncomfortable truth is that the Nazi's were trying to create a utopia, and the final solution was in their twisted minds laying the foundations for that utopia. I'm sure many among them were psychopaths and sadists who delighted in their abuses, but the majority went along because they wanted to be perceived as "good Germans". The distasteful aspects made palatable by peer support and the idea that in the end, they were making sacrifices for a greater good.

They believed that they would end up on the right side of history.

Sorry Arnold, but its not about strength. Its about conscience and consequence. Its about not allowing dogma to overrule basic humanity and compassion.

If ever you find yourself excusing cruel or barbaric acts because they serve a greater good, then you need to seriously stop and think about whatever movement you are part of.

It really goes back really far. The catholic church made usury sin in the 12th century. This meant the only ones allowed to charge interest on money lent were basically jews. This allowed some jews to become quite wealthy. This caused a ton of jealousy. It's like how so many hate bankers today.

Edit: got my century wrong it was the 12th not 4th. The 4th was when it was banned for the clergy.
Maybe.

But I dont think the average person who hates Jews read about ancient history. I didn't know that fact until you posted it. I think the average anti-semite is just a bandwagon hater just for the sake of it.

They got to lay blame on a group as the world's boogeymen since they look at themselves in the mirror and see a dumbass sack of shit. So to make them feel better, just jump on the anti-Jew train.

Moneal

Maybe.

But I dont think the average person who hates Jews read about ancient history. I didn't know that fact until you posted it. I think the average anti-semite is just a bandwagon hater just for the sake of it.

They got to lay blame on a group as the world's boogeymen since they look at themselves in the mirror and see a dumbass sack of shit. So to make them feel better, just jump on the anti-Jew train.
I am not saying that is exactly why people hate them today. This history makes them easy to blame. Most anti Semitic people think they have all the money and power. It is a pass e down history without context.

Elder Legend

Yoir Aee Member

Thanks. I am Russian Jewish who came from the mountains. Or also known as Gorski Jew. The word "Gorski" means mountain in Russian but that is written in English letters for the sake of easier pronunciation.

I came to the USA in 2000 from Russia as a refugee. During my parents time there was a lot of antisemitism in schools, colleges and just country in general. We would hide our identity, because if people knew you were Jewish it was pretty bad.

Also, isn't our lord and savior on Neogaf @evillore also Jewish?

Last edited:

Nobody_Important

“Aww, it’s so...average,” she said to him in a cold brick of passion
The completely unironic comments on social media saying this is "woke" and that "we lost him" make me wanna put my forehead through my monitor.

It was an excellent message and I feel like this will be one of those those videos made by someone that will be brought up long after they are gone.

CGNoire

What an Amazing Human Being he is.
We dont deserve this Man.

A part of me will die when he goes.

Also Shout out to Bill Burr for spreading the message on what an Absolute Badass this guy is.

Nico_D

As good as that was (skimmed), I think it would be more benefecial for the world to talk about hate in general, whether it is against jewish, gays, men or women. Talking about only one group makes a lot of haters sigh in relief and continue justifying their own hate towards whatever group of people they are hating.

anthony2690

Beautiful message from Arnie.

I find it interesting though, I don't know whether it's just a UK thing, I know all about WW2 atrocities & the awful stuff that happened to the Jews, due to history lessons in school.

But antisemitism is a word I've never ever heard before, I genuinely had to Google it.

Also why did Hitler/Germany dislike the Jews so much? It just seems so sad/barbaric to target people for their religion. 😞

Last edited:

Mr Reasonable

Completely Unreasonable
As good as that was (skimmed), I think it would be more benefecial for the world to talk about hate in general, whether it is against jewish, gays, men or women. Talking about only one group makes a lot of haters sigh in relief and continue justifying their own hate towards whatever group of people they are hating.
It might be that an audience might be able to see a parallel between the way that Jews, women, gays, trans people, people of colour etc are treated.

Mr Reasonable

Completely Unreasonable
Schwarzenegger puts a message out that nobody could disagree with and people still want to try and defame him.

Last edited:

Nico_D

It might be that an audience might be able to see a parallel between the way that Jews, women, gays, trans people, people of colour etc are treated.

Hating people who hate jews, women etc. is hate too and when there's hate, there's also reaction which begets more hate. Hate is hate despite where it is directed and it's never good, especially for the person themselves. Not if the idea is getting better as humankind. This is why I don't really believe in protests: while people have the freedom of speech and right to protest whatever they like, I don't see it having any effect other than to piss of and invite more hate on the opposite side of the argument. While democrazy may not be perfect, it's probably the most reasonable way to try to change things - other than trying to change ourselves which is probably the only thing we can directly influence.

Mr Reasonable

Completely Unreasonable
Hating people who hate jews, women etc. is hate too and when there's hate, there's also reaction which begets more hate. Hate is hate despite where it is directed and it's never good, especially for the person themselves. Not if the idea is getting better as humankind. This is why I don't really believe in protests: while people have the freedom of speech and right to protest whatever they like, I don't see it having any effect other than to piss of and invite more hate on the opposite side of the argument. While democrazy may not be perfect, it's probably the most reasonable way to try to change things - other than trying to change ourselves which is probably the only thing we can directly influence.
Who's hating? The message Arnold is putting out that everyone is applauding (most people) is about positivity, the potential for redemption and having the strength to personally do better.

You can try and shoot that down if you like, but it won't spoil my day, only yours.

Last edited:

Bojji

Maybe.

Yes most people that hate Jews now hate them for no logical or personal reasons, mostly because their parents/grandparents told them at some point that they hated them. Where i live population was 33% polish, 33% German and 33% Jewish before second world wat. Of course majority of hate comes from jealousy, many Jews were landlords and had the money while polish (and many German) people were struggling to live. Then Hitler army entered Poland and rest is history.

Mineral said what is the origins of this hate and that's exactly the reason why Jews were hated trough history and kicked out of many countries in Europe before settling down in Poland (and now Israel).

Thaedolus

The completely unironic comments on social media saying this is "woke" and that "we lost him" make me wanna put my forehead through my monitor.
Mouth breathing troglodytes seem to associate an admonition to treat others with a basic level decency and respect with themselves somehow being repressed.

And imagine coming in here trying to “well awkshually” the actual son of an Austrian WWII vet about the motivations of the nazis and nitpick his message of love and redemption. People are so tribalistically brain dead these days.

Top Bottom