• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Arnold Schwarzenegger has a message for those who’ve chosen the path of hate. There's still time.

Klosshufvud

Usually it's the feeling of injustice that later escalates into madness. All great and evil things comes from the belief that one has been treated unjust. Always be critical of people who crusade the feeling of injustice without proper substance.

Fools idol

I see antisemitic comments on some sites occasionally, but it’s usually downvoted hard. Pretty weird bandwagons some people get on.

That being said, Arnie is generally a decent guy, but his “fuck your freedom” comment really threw me off, and does even more so after this video. Kind of ironic

If you were Jewish you would see it a lot more, trust me.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
terminator GIF
film fire GIF by Lionsgate Home Entertainment
terminator ill be back GIF
arnold schwarzenegger terminator GIF

tkscz

Remember the documentary Red Heat where he was a Russian kgb agent? What a bastard!
cocainum.gif

How is it that the god damn Terminator can give a speech on this better than so called activist can? I mean the obvious answer is the man knows how to socialize, but point still stands. He doesn't immediately demonize and dehumanize people in order to portray the same hate they claim others give. Instead he chooses to believe people can change for the better without the need of removing their humanity and seeing potential for people to do better.

Neff

I was ready to say that he's wasting his time trying to convert those entrenched in the habit of blaming marginalised groups for their own inadequacies, but that was all very well worth saying and hearing. Articulate, comprehensive, insightful and effective without being preachy.

Truly incredible fellow.

Power Pro

cocainum.gif

How is it that the god damn Terminator can give a speech on this better than so called activist can? I mean the obvious answer is the man knows how to socialize, but point still stands. He doesn't immediately demonize and dehumanize people in order to portray the same hate they claim others give. Instead he chooses to believe people can change for the better without the need of removing their humanity and seeing potential for people to do better.
This is the message that is completely lost on people who seek out to destroy others. You don't stop hate being perpetuating more racism, hate and bigotry. It's not the answer, and I feel like whenever I've made the same case, it just gets slammed down by the nutjobs on twitter. I left the platform because of that crap when I was told "you can't be racist against the oppressors" when they referring to white people. Racism is racism, but these idiots don't see that.

Not to get too political, but I have mad respect for Arnold, and I wish that demolition man joke was true, and we could vote for him as president. As someone who usually votes left, I would totally vote for him because he looks as all people as deserving of respect, whether you agree with them or not. That's something we need more of, people working together than always trying to one up the others not like you.

Great thing he said here, and he's on his way to earning back my good will after the, "Screw your freedom," comment.

It's going to take a while if I'm going to be honest.

kurisu_1974

is on perm warning for being a low level troll
Wait, who said fuck your freedom and in what context? I didn't watch all of the video, because it just came off as lecturing me about something that I already agree with, which is that hate and antisemitism are stupid.

For more of a history lesson type video, I would strongly recommend watching this:

Dan Ryckert really reinvented himself, I'm glad.

ANDS

Thought gaf was racist. Now knows better, honorary gaffer 2022
Well it's an improvement of what he said last year

Oh no, he had a heated off the cuff response to a global fucking pandemic (a response that a lot of frustrated, stressed out and well-meaning front line people also had at the time). The horror.

. . .seriously, the amount of clown footprints in this thread to push back on a spectacularly non-controversial message is staggering.

Vestal

He was right then and he's right now.
Those outraged are seeing "screw your freedom" in a vacuum. Not actually listening to what he was trying to say and the context surrounding the conversation..

Poor word choice? Absolutely.. But what he was trying to say was on point given the context and circumstances.

edit: What he was saying in that clip equates to the idea that the good of the many outweighs the needs of the individual. Particularly in certain circumstances such as vaccination against infectious diseases.

Last edited:

12Goblins

Lil’ Gobbie
Great thing he said here, and he's on his way to earning back my good will after the, "Screw your freedom," comment.

It's going to take a while if I'm going to be honest.
sometimes you gotta use the ole noggin and look at the context to understand the meaning of things being said. It should be obvious to most that what he said is screw your freedoms when it encroaches on the rights/freedom of others, something we can hopefully all agree on.

I was really moved by the speech he made when Russian invaded Ukraine. I'll never forget it tbh

Last edited:
sometimes you gotta use the ole noggin and look at the context to understand the meaning of things being said. It should be obvious to most that what he said is screw your freedoms when it encroaches on the rights/freedom of others, something we can hopefully all agree on.

I was really moved by the speech he made when Russian invaded Ukraine. I'll never forget it tbh
We're just going to have to agree to disagree, and end it here.

Those outraged are seeing "screw your freedom" in a vacuum. Not actually listening to what he was trying to say and the context surrounding the conversation..

Poor word choice? Absolutely.. But what he was trying to say was on point given the context and circumstances.

edit: What he was saying in that clip equates to the idea that the good of the many outweighs the needs of the individual. Particularly in certain circumstances such as vaccination against infectious diseases.
Yeah I got to go with this I was never aware of the whole "fuck your freedom" thing but on looking at the context behind it yeah I understand where Arnold was coming from. To this fucking day I will never understand how the American population managed to politicise wearing a piece of fucking cloth over their gob to protect their fellow Americans. I would have thought it was blatantly obvious, if you love your country you love your countrymen and you were being asked to do such a minor thing to protect everyone but nooooooooooooooo it was "DON'T TAKE MY FREEDOM".

Anyway I can't say I am that huge fan of Arnold since he still considers himself a republican a party that is doing a hell of a lot that he is complaining about in the video. I like the video and I like the message but if he truly believes that then he should seperate himself from the party that is peddling all that hate these days.

Moneal

Yeah I got to go with this I was never aware of the whole "fuck your freedom" thing but on looking at the context behind it yeah I understand where Arnold was coming from. To this fucking day I will never understand how the American population managed to politicise wearing a piece of fucking cloth over their gob to protect their fellow Americans. I would have thought it was blatantly obvious, if you love your country you love your countrymen and you were being asked to do such a minor thing to protect everyone but nooooooooooooooo it was "DON'T TAKE MY FREEDOM".

Anyway I can't say I am that huge fan of Arnold since he still considers himself a republican a party that is doing a hell of a lot that he is complaining about in the video. I like the video and I like the message but if he truly believes that then he should seperate himself from the party that is peddling all that hate these days.
Do the pieces of fucking cloth do anything, other than make people fucking feel like they are more safe when they are not? The minor thing did nothing to protect anyone. This was known from the beginning. So yes "fuck your freedom" in context was a terrible.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Security theater is bad enough when it’s just at the airport, never mind 24/7/365. Have to enter a restaurant with a mask on, but take it off as soon as you sit. Have to wear a mask on the plane, unless you’re in business class and always have a drink in your hand, then by all means enjoy life. On a train in Europe? Mask on or you’re kicked off, but step off the train into the station and pack with 10,000 other people in close quarters unmasked. Stay home and be miserable and depressed, close your small business and let Amazon and Walmart rake in record profits, for everyone’s safety, unless it’s a BLM protest with 100,000 people shoulder to shoulder.

We should push back against bad policies and call out hypocrisy. It was a ridiculous time to be alive.

It was also a time fraught with many avoidable deaths, limited information, a great deal of misinformation, and as usual, hyperpartisanship determining people’s reactions more than the truth at any given time.

And that’s still the world we live in. I hope we wise up for the next major trials we face as a species, but I’m confident we won’t.

Not going to blame individuals for encouraging prosocial behaviors, though.

Security theater is bad enough when it’s just at the airport, never mind 24/7/365. Have to enter a restaurant with a mask on, but take it off as soon as you sit. Have to wear a mask on the plane, unless you’re in business class and always have a drink in your hand, then by all means enjoy life. On a train in Europe? Mask on or you’re kicked off, but step off the train and pack with 10,000 other people in close quarters unmasked. Stay home and be miserable and depressed, close your small business and let Amazon and Walmart rake in record profits, for everyone’s safety, unless it’s a BLM protest with 100,000 people shoulder to shoulder.

We should push back against bad policies and call out hypocrisy. It was a ridiculous time to be alive.

It was also a time fraught with many avoidable deaths, limited information, a great deal of misinformation, and as usual, hyperpartisanship determining people’s reactions more than the truth at any given time.

And that’s still the world we live in. I hope we wise up for the next major trials we face as a species, but I’m confident we won’t.

One of my favorite examples was the Oscars, where none of the stars were wearing masks, but all of the assistants, drivers, and venue staff had to wear masks. It was completely hypocritical classism.

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
The completely unironic comments on social media saying this is "woke" and that "we lost him" make me wanna put my forehead through my monitor.

It was an excellent message and I feel like this will be one of those those videos made by someone that will be brought up long after they are gone.

Unfortunately to many out there on the internet these days if you express empathy for others wothout any benefit to yourself, believe in equality and human rights for all, and consider compassion and a sense of humanity as core tenets of who you are as a person, you're "woke" and deserve to be recategorized into one of their out groups.

Anyway, Arnold remains a champion when it comes to compassion and human rights.

Fools idol

Well, it’s generally true that you find things more often when you’re looking for them

try riding a subway in any us city while wearing a Kippah and get back to me. This isn't about 'looking for things' it's about the huge increase in anti semitism in the US. It is often subtle, it is becoming alarmingly blatant, as time goes by.

Sleepwalker

The completely unironic comments on social media saying this is "woke" and that "we lost him" make me wanna put my forehead through my monitor.

It was an excellent message and I feel like this will be one of those those videos made by someone that will be brought up long after they are gone.
There was even one here, just disgraceful behavior.

When you watch that video and your reaction is negative you know you're way too deep into the rabitt hole.

Security theater is bad enough when it’s just at the airport, never mind 24/7/365. Have to enter a restaurant with a mask on, but take it off as soon as you sit. Have to wear a mask on the plane, unless you’re in business class and always have a drink in your hand, then by all means enjoy life. On a train in Europe? Mask on or you’re kicked off, but step off the train and pack with 10,000 other people in close quarters unmasked. Stay home and be miserable and depressed, close your small business and let Amazon and Walmart rake in record profits, for everyone’s safety, unless it’s a BLM protest with 100,000 people shoulder to shoulder.

In Ontario when covid was in full swing and many places were shut down, the Jays played in different stadiums that year.

The second the city opened up the policies, people were complaining at why the fuck small business should still be shut down when Rogers Centre (aka Skydome) was suddenly green lit to allow the team back and fans were allowed to come back.

It was retarded.

Masks on entering the stadium and when walking around the concourse. But when it came to the seats, masks off were ok. So buying a hot dog or taking a leak required a mask, but sitting in small metal chairs shoulder to shoulder with friends and random people beside you was fine. Figure that one out.

I literally only have one good friend who is Jewish. But super nice person. I went to school with her.

The hate on Jewish people brings a few things to mind:

- Hating on Jews is easy because according to Google there's only 15M Jews in the world. And most are in Israel. So it's easy to rag on Jewish people when they dont have numbers

- For all you Jewish people out there, stand proud. The reason why people hate on you is because they are moronic jealous lazy asses. Its amazing how much Jewish people have accomplished with so few people

- However, if you want fewer people hating on you, you got to stand up and fight back. Dont be too quiet and just let it pass quietly because I dont think the hate will really go away unless you make a stand publicly

- I never understood the hate. I've never ran into issues with any Jewish people I've met
I'm Jewish but I don't fit the stereotype considering I'm very broke and I'm not very intelligent.

But Jews love to stick together and consider other Jews like family. It's why they succeed despite all the hardships we have gone through in the past.

They are very big on learning and intellectual pursuits and sticking together. Again, a reason why many Jewish people, especially Ashkenazi, excel.

That pisses off a lot of people who are jealous or think there's like some kind of huge conspiracy. As a Jewish person I can tell you there is no conspiracy since my own life has been filled with failure and defeat. Not even all us Jews are equal.

I used to love this guy when I as a kid. Unfortunately his whole "screw your freedom" rant soured me on him. Screw this big pharma shill/fake tough guy.
He's about as RINO as they come. I find some very entertaining and I love his work and I'm sure he's a decent person in real life but he's definitely not what he claims to be. He's straight out limousine liberal.

I do want to say that while his message is cringe-worthy to a degree, he is right. If you have a lot of hate for different races or other people, you should try to make a change. At least he's positive saying you can still change rather than just being a straight out asshole about it.

Last edited:
I'm Jewish but I don't fit the stereotype considering I'm very broke and I'm not very intelligent.

But Jews love to stick together and consider other Jews like family. It's why they succeed despite all the hardships we have gone through in the past.

They are very big on learning and intellectual pursuits and sticking together. Again, a reason why many Jewish people, especially Ashkenazi, excel.

That pisses off a lot of people who are jealous or think there's like some kind of huge conspiracy. As a Jewish person I can tell you there is no conspiracy since my own life has been filled with failure and defeat. Not even all us Jews are equal.
My dad's career has a science background to part of it. He did his share of clever stuff at work which he got recognized. He even earned a plaque back in the day.

I remember him telling us about his science stuff job. In one ear out the other as I've always trended to business and sports talk. But one thing I'll always remember is him saying to us something like.... look at all the Nobel prizes. Lots of Jewish people win those kinds of awards. You could tell he was impressed.

It's kind of a weird thing to tell us since none of us would ever give a shit as kids knowing who the hell has won Nobel prizes for this and that. All me and my siblings cared at dinner was eating and then after that playing games or chatting what time the Leafs game is on. But since he was a smart guy, no doubt I'm sure he dreamed of doing something extra clever to win a global prize. Or else why would anyone track that stuff?

We're not Jewish, but hey now you know even people like my dad respects you. And I say that as a pretty impressive compliment as my parents are very old school, cheap and keep to themselves. Its very rare they compliment anyone.

Last edited:

Mistake

try riding a subway in any us city while wearing a Kippah and get back to me. This isn't about 'looking for things' it's about the huge increase in anti semitism in the US. It is often subtle, it is becoming alarmingly blatant, as time goes by.
I didn’t mean it as a dig at you. Just a fact. When you’re part of something, such as a religious group, or when a serious event takes place, you’re naturally going to be more aware of it. As for crazy shit in US cities, I’ve heard people getting “targeted” across the board. Sounds like a crime problem to me. It’s only going to keep getting worse as everyone with money leaves

BlackTron

I don't dock Arnold too many points for his "fuck your freedom" line, even though I don't agree with it. I think he was speaking out of legitimate concern and thinking he really was on the side of everyone's safety. It makes sense, when there is a terrible virus spreading and killing people, you should do your part to help contain its spread, right? It was a confusing time and at face value the official guidance appears to make sense.

I never got vaccinated and tried my best to avoid any situation where I would need to take a stance on it. On the question of whether it was a good idea, my take was literally I have no fucking clue. Nobody really does. I decided to err on the side of caution and just risk it with an enemy I know (covid) than take on an enemy I don't know (the vaccine) with certainty and on purpose. Even if I caught covid I would just get sick, then get better. I'm not 80. But if I took the vaccine I had no idea what might happen.

The context of everything with the pandemic and big pharma created a situation where there was an obvious motive to fast-track the vaccine as quick as humanly possible, first to deliver an answer to contain the pandemic and also in a race to be the first corporation to get it into peoples hands for the money to be made. Given this situation I was not comfortable being a trial or beta test of this thing. Of course they said it was ready and perfectly safe, but put the whole reality of the situation through a moment of critical thinking and ummm...yeah. However trying to vocalize this at the time would just make you evil or looney.

One guy did argue with me about it when I explained my reasoning. Then his wife got a vaccine and her arm blew up swelling gigantically and turning purple, she was hospitalized. He backpedaled and admitted I was right. My dad as an older guy was really spooked about covid and got everything advised, all booster shots. He told me he thinks the vaccine is why he can't play guitar anymore and he was a pro musician who jammed with some big names back in the day. Only thing he really enjoyed doing that he's good at.

Masks on the other hand. I saw very high possible reward (prevent yourself from getting sick, help contain the virus) for comparatively no risk (the inconvenience of putting a mask on). As a result I felt everyone should wear a mask everywhere at the height of the pandemic and was very critical of people bitching about their freedom being taken away over it -in that context what Arnold said made sense. As time went on, the situation with masks got shitty with hypocrisy and double standards.

Redneckerz

Those long posts don't cover that red neck boy
I think its always good when people that have some influence in the arena use that to promote a message of positivity.

So i get Arnold. Its partially why i stopped commenting on ERA or why i initially left GAF. When you realize that the kind of fuel you try to light is a canister of negative expressions, it becomes initially addicting to light it up. But it also becomes difficult to get rid of.

Nowadays i just mad complain about my job, haha.

Usually people call this growing up.

I reckon some of these users i interacted with would call a piece like this something like cry some more, cunt or something to that effect.

And the prospect of that kind of response is why i made different decisions. I am not an asswipe kind of guy in real life (But i might steal your girl, jk only my right hand is my eternal girlfriend) so why should i perpetuate being one on the internet? I became something i am not. Yes i still may grind some users gears, but i am never again mean to someone just because its an anonymous user on the web.

Behind every avatar and every screenname is a real person with feelings, hopes, desires and emotions. People like you, me, your family.

It is easy to discard that very notion. But as social media becomes ever the more prevalent, so should we be concerned that we lose our own identity.

Mistake

I don't dock Arnold too many points for his "fuck your freedom" line, even though I don't agree with it. I think he was speaking out of legitimate concern and thinking he really was on the side of everyone's safety. It makes sense, when there is a terrible virus spreading and killing people, you should do your part to help contain its spread, right? It was a confusing time and at face value the official guidance appears to make sense.

I never got vaccinated and tried my best to avoid any situation where I would need to take a stance on it. On the question of whether it was a good idea, my take was literally I have no fucking clue. Nobody really does. I decided to err on the side of caution and just risk it with an enemy I know (covid) than take on an enemy I don't know (the vaccine) with certainty and on purpose. Even if I caught covid I would just get sick, then get better. I'm not 80. But if I took the vaccine I had no idea what might happen.

The context of everything with the pandemic and big pharma created a situation where there was an obvious motive to fast-track the vaccine as quick as humanly possible, first to deliver an answer to contain the pandemic and also in a race to be the first corporation to get it into peoples hands for the money to be made. Given this situation I was not comfortable being a trial or beta test of this thing. Of course they said it was ready and perfectly safe, but put the whole reality of the situation through a moment of critical thinking and ummm...yeah. However trying to vocalize this at the time would just make you evil or looney.

One guy did argue with me about it when I explained my reasoning. Then his wife got a vaccine and her arm blew up swelling gigantically and turning purple, she was hospitalized. He backpedaled and admitted I was right. My dad as an older guy was really spooked about covid and got everything advised, all booster shots. He told me he thinks the vaccine is why he can't play guitar anymore and he was a pro musician who jammed with some big names back in the day. Only thing he really enjoyed doing that he's good at.

Masks on the other hand. I saw very high possible reward (prevent yourself from getting sick, help contain the virus) for comparatively no risk (the inconvenience of putting a mask on). As a result I felt everyone should wear a mask everywhere at the height of the pandemic and was very critical of people bitching about their freedom being taken away over it -in that context what Arnold said made sense. As time went on, the situation with masks got shitty with hypocrisy and double standards.
I don’t know if it’s related, but I got a really bad bacterial sinus infection when using masks a lot. Never had that before. We all have our anecdotes. Getting off topic for the thread though.

Anie’s message is a good one, and I wish anybody with authoritarian views took a trip there for some introspection. Despite all our progress as a species, things can go to hell real quick in a short amount of time

VN1X

Oh no, he had a heated off the cuff response to a global fucking pandemic (a response that a lot of frustrated, stressed out and well-meaning front line people also had at the time). The horror.
Yes in the face of a "global fucking pandemic" lets resort to rash and ridiculous exclamations instead of calm and reason.

This "screw your freedom" policy (lockdowns) have resulted in more deaths than they were supposed to prevent btw but I'm the clown. Ok, gotcha.

NecrosaroIII

Ask me about my terrible takes on Star Trek characters
My teenage cousins say that there is a ton of anti-semetism in school, which surprised me because it was pretty much dead back when I was a teenager at the turn of the century. Sad to hear its back in such a big way.

Top Bottom