• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Atomic Heart |OT| From Russia With Love

The upgrade robot was so much hilarity to me. I would not want my kids to hear it but it had me cracking up.

I am still in the facility and looking for 4 keys for a tree or something. When I finally got an energy gun it was something I appreciated. Overall pretty good, I think I am about 2 hours in.
I play the game with headphones on. I thought it was funny. Nice to actually have a game unafraid of sexuality.

The main character has never once annoyed me. He's just kind of an action hero parody, but it's pretty subtle. Just keeps the tone light and moves it along.

AJUMP23

I play the game with headphones on. I thought it was funny. Nice to actually have a game unafraid of sexuality.

The main character has never once annoyed me. He's just kind of an action hero parody, but it's pretty subtle. Just keeps the tone light and moves it along.
I think the robot loving you is funny. A nice bit of levity in a world of super serious dangers.

That opening first hour was great. Reminded me of Bioshock Infinite but on a grander scale.
I made it to the first manual save room before needing to go to bed. I've only axed maybe 3 or 4 mustache bots So far.
Right at the beginning you get to swim around in that floating gell stuff. Press B to exit. :)

Has anyone been able to reprogram any back buttons on a pro or elite controller to bring up the scan menu rather than press and press and hold right bumper mechanic?

I'm playing on Series X and performance seems to run smooth.
I too am going to complain about the small text size and it's odd placement. Several times I have to move my character over a sign just right to get the translation to popup, It's not consistent.
I've seen a few low frame animations from bots walking around in the distant like stop motion animation.

I'm impressed with what little I've played so far. I've already got a gun in inventory but don't know when or where I picked it up.

Last edited:
Skill Up is probably the best reviewer out there for AAA games and I very much trust his opinions when it comes to the big budget blockbusters, he has an eye for quality in that sense.

But for everything else? Nah. Someone like Worth A Buy is much better, discovered plenty of gems thanks to his channel and he's a bonafide old school PC gamer:

Mac is cool but hes a bit of a negative prick sometimes

Reactions: GHG

FoxMcChief

so far, I’ve only got three complaints, and all aren’t big deals at all.

The font is way too small. Sometimes I had to walk across my room to get closer to see what button I had to press.

The audio mixing isn’t great with a sound bar. Voices are much too low. Also, it seems like the dev has poorly timed when lines of dialogue should start. Everyone talks over each other. As soon as one person is on the last word of their sentence, the protagonist starts his first word. Or vice versa.

Last, the looting (RB button) seems off. Like, things get missed, so I have to let go of the button and start again in order to pick something up.

Other than those things, this game feels AAA. I can’t wait to play more.

GHG

Mac is cool but hes a bit of a negative prick sometimes

He means well and doesn't shy away from saying it as he see it which I respect. We could do with a lot more of that in the gaming "media". There's are reason why publishers are shit scared of giving him review keys.

He likes what he likes and when he dislikes something he really dislikes it. I don't always agree with the games he dislikes but if he likes something I know 100% I'll end up liking it as well.

It didn't. The original installation was 77~GB. The update was 67~GB. Now my system shows the total game size is 77.5~GB
I downloaded the game overnight Monday night on Gamepass. Went to start it Tuesday.....ooops.....another patch of 67GB. My internet sucks.....so can't play it until today. Companies need to get their shit together with unfinished games and patches. This really didn't happen prior to 10 years ago (2012).

Needlecrash

So far, I am really enjoying the game. I do have some minor gripes so far:

• Protagonist and Glove talk too much. Sometimes dialogue is cringy, but not like Forspoken.
  • No remappable controls.
  • Audio mixing is a problem. You'll hear multiple conversations going on at once. Needs a patch.
  • Moving diagonally is at a slower speed than moving in the 4 cardinal directions; hopefully this can get rectified soon.
  • When picking up items, holding RB all of the time WILL NOT get them all. You have to do it several times because it WILL miss some items in the vicinity.

Other than that, it's VERY enjoyable! Died a few times due to the robots fucking me up, but I wasn't dodging. So that's on me, no fault on the game. There is no "Run" button here, but the main character is always running. Hoping for a FOV slider mod soon. The weapons are IMPACTFUL AS FUCK. As much as I wanna use the Shotgun, the Axe is SO satisfying.

Last edited:

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
Yeah, looting can get a little bit annoying some times.

Also... maybe it's a problem on my end, but I noticed that some animations during certain sequences where played at a slower framerate... is it just me? This happened for example with the flying robots during the scene where the granny is shooting them down.

Last edited:

Needlecrash

Yeah, looting can get a little bit annoying some times.

Also... maybe it's a problem on my end, but I noticed that some animations during certain sequences where played at a slower framerate... is it just me? This happened for example with the flying robots during the scene where the granny is shooting them down.
Yea I noticed that too. Same thing with that big snake robot. It's choppy like that and I don't know what's going on there. This isn't the first time I've seen something like that in games. Elden Ring and Dark Souls 2 has that problem. When you see an enemy that's really far, they are moving at a choppy framerate. Like 15 or 30fps or something, but it's VERY noticable.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Some screens from the Xbox version

20-02-2023_3-23-40_pm7ie7u.png

20-02-2023_3-23-41_pmiue49.png

22-02-2023_12-26-23_ajoijq.png

22-02-2023_12-26-23_aflc01.png

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
Yea I noticed that too. Same thing with that big snake robot. It's choppy like that and I don't know what's going on there. This isn't the first time I've seen something like that in games. Elden Ring and Dark Souls 2 has that problem. When you see an enemy that's really far, they are moving at a choppy framerate. Like 15 or 30fps or something, but it's VERY noticable.
Yeah exactly, glad I'm not the only one with that issue. Some games do that for things that are far away but in my case I could swear it happened a few times when the enemy was right in my face.

Needlecrash

Yeah exactly, glad I'm not the only one with that issue. Some games do that for things that are far away but in my case I could swear it happened a few times when the enemy was right in my face.
Yea I noticed that too. When granny was blowing up shit, the flying robots were moving....so choppy. It was VERY bizarre. I don't know if it's a coding issue or what. It's a minor issue but hopefully it can be addressed. If not, I'll keep rolling with it.

TintoConCasera

Yea I noticed that too. When granny was blowing up shit, the flying robots were moving....so choppy. It was VERY bizarre. I don't know if it's a coding issue or what. It's a minor issue but hopefully it can be addressed. If not, I'll keep rolling with it.
By any chance, are you playing on PC and forcing v-sync through the control panel?

GymWolf

I haven't seen his review, but having just entered the wide open world, I don't think it's too bad (so far). You gotta avoid cameras though, they raise alert levels. Killing robots outside of camera view does not raise alarm. Cameras can be temporarily disabled from large distance via SHOK (or a gun..). You can apparently also disable cameras and robots in a given region, but it takes some doing.
Small hint to not waste ammo on cameras, if you throw normal objects to them with the telekinesis you can break them, 3 objects should be enough.

I think the game tells you that but it is easy to miss.

I think you can also damage enemies.

TintoConCasera

I didn't force V-Sync yet, let me see if that works.
No no, I was asking because I have V-Sync forced and was wondering if that might be the issue.

Doing a google search displays some potential fixes of this issue by tweaking some ini files. Could be worth the try.

Needlecrash

Small hint to not waste ammo on cameras, if you throw normal objects to them with the telekinesis you can break them, 3 objects should be enough.

I think the game tells you that but it is easy to miss.

I think you can also damage enemies.
I normally shock the cameras and use the Axe. However, this is useful. I didn't know you could do that. Much appreciated for the tip.

GymWolf

Ok, I expected a 6, 7 levels of good but until now I feel like I'm playing a 9 game?

So I've taken a look at SkillUp's review just to see some of the talking around the game because I didn't dig too much into reviews so I could see what were the shortcomings of the game considered and also it's a review I keep seeing people bringing up and... Dude, there's some bias towards this game?

Don't get me wrong he has some points like sometimes it gets annoying with all the robots they throw at you in the open or not having a strife option.
But then there's some real bullshit, like saying bosses are boring, empty open world, enemies are really spongey or that the story is just an excuse (this comes from a reviewer that literally praised Elden Ring for the same stuff last year) and he even criticizes that the game has a lot of environment and level design variety. Like what!?
He closes his review saying Atomic Heart doesn't have a distinct identity... Which is what this game particularly excels at, which is its distinctive artstyle and world just from the get go.
I stopped listening to that dude years ago, easy on the hears, not so much on the brain cells.

Last edited:

TintoConCasera

Last edited:

adamsapple

Wait, you can ride cars in this ?

How ? I haven't seen a single car I can get into. My current objective shows 1500m and I would love to be able to get there quicker lol

SCB3

Played the first hour on PC, just to see how it runs on my aging 1060gtx 6gb and I have to say, a stable 60fps on High with low shadows is pretty nice, I cannot decide if I wanna restart on Series X or carry on here now

TintoConCasera

I failed the tutorial for the security cameras. Charles scolded me and then the MC went "I'm sorry, but sometimes you just have to shoot some robots!".

Love that they took that scenario into consideration and even made a joke out of it.

raduque

For everybody complaining about a patch on first launch, it's not downloading. The game calls it a download, but it's actually just decrypting or decompressing files. I went through this on PC, I downloaded it when I went to bed on the 20th, and played for the first time on the 21st, and there was no patch to download today. I run dual monitors, and I have Task Manager open to the performance tab on me second one all the time, and during the game's "Downloading" screen after launching it for the first time, there was NO network activity, but my NVME drive was going full tilt, 100% usage.

drotahorror

If you're on hardest difficulty, best get good at that dodge key jeez hah.

Also that lock puzzle is awful, or I'm just trash.

Warablo

The upgrade robot was so much hilarity to me. I would not want my kids to hear it but it had me cracking up.

I am still in the facility and looking for 4 keys for a tree or something. When I finally got an energy gun it was something I appreciated. Overall pretty good, I think I am about 2 hours in.
Ya, that dialogue is pretty hilarious

adamsapple

This is one of those games where it gets more enjoyable and "easier" with the more upgrades and skills you unlock. Good shit.

GymWolf

If you're on hardest difficulty, best get good at that dodge key jeez hah.

Also that lock puzzle is awful, or I'm just trash.
It's the usual lockpick minigame that most game use but with a more obtuse interface and no risk of breaking the lock pick.

when you move the stick left and right you can see the wire moving, those are just different position of the lockpick, move a big then press a, if the thing doens't turn at all, search another position, don't press up and down to move the wire, just left and right.

Last edited:

TintoConCasera

is that to fix 30 frames animations for distant enemies?
Apparently so, yeah. Not only distant enemies, sometimes enemies that are near you would play choppy animations while in a cutscene. 👇

Last edited:
Top Bottom