• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Atomic Heart |OT| From Russia With Love

Alex11

Finished it after 30 hrs, great game, amazing atmosphere, Bioshock feelings throughout of course, but also some Prey ones at certain moments.

But yeah, this is a game that is at least an 8, really don't understand the ones that rated it lower or those that simply don't recommend it at all, that is a bit of nonsense.
That being said, I agree with some of the complaints, and due to the bugs, some quite serious, it deserves to have at least a half a point taken away.

And also the ending, felt a little rushed and lackluster, I have a feeling some things were cut.

Have to say, I'm surprised by just how much dialogue is packed into this game, devs went the extra mile to flesh out this world and it's characters. The map, however, is absolutely atrocious, maybe the worst I've ever seen. Sometimes you come across stuff like this in a game and ask "how did the devs ever imagine this was acceptable?". This game could have done with another 6 month delay, wonder if the Gamepass deal had anything to do with getting it out now.

Anyway, I've been collecting body parts for a girly friend. Telekinesis is much better than freeze, good I experimented with this sooner rather than later. Standard pistol is super effective against most enemies, especially when combined with powers. Any time a game has inventory/weight limits my first order of business is to increase those, no different here, get those backpack upgrades!

Last edited:

Hugare

Latest patch notes

SaoQLWn.png

Sylvester Stallone Facepalm GIF

Flabagast

Have to say, I'm surprised by just how much dialogue is packed into this game, devs went the extra mile to flesh out this world and it's characters. The map, however, is absolutely atrocious, maybe the worst I've ever seen. Sometimes you come across stuff like this in a game and ask "how did the devs ever imagine this was acceptable?". This game could have done with another 6 month delay, wonder if the Gamepass deal had anything to do with getting it out now.

Anyway, I've been collecting body parts for a girly friend. Telekinesis is much better than freeze, good I experimented with this sooner rather than later. Standard pistol is super effective against most enemies, especially when combined with powers. Any time a game has inventory/weight limits my first order of business is to increase those, no different here, get those backpack upgrades!
The polymer throw is also a really good power once upgraded, although I feel it’s a little overlooked by players. It really lits the battlefield and do massive damage.

I’m all in on elemental damage and it s great

Last edited:

oji-san

The polymer throw is also a really good power once upgraded, although I feel it’s a little overlooked by players. It really lits the battlefield and do massive damage.

I’m all in on elemental damage and it s great
The only time i used it so far and actually bought it for was one of the testing grounds. Will try it in combat as well.

Last edited:

The Stig

this game is great. i needed something in the vein of prey. performance on steam is great even on my old toaster

RGB'D

Man this game is pretty great. The dialogue is kind of grating but I just accept it as B/C tier movie and it doesn't bother me as much. But I'm loving the gameplay and powers, and more importantly, the world building. But Bioshock/Prey/Half Life are basically my favorite games of all time so this make sense. PC gamepass ftw.

ChoosableOne

ChoosableAll
The game is going well actually. Not great as Bioshock 1-2, but still good. But I got stuck between rocks or boxes 3-4 times and 30 minutes of my time went to waste on the last one. They should fix this immediately!

There are other negative aspects as well. Respawning of robots irritates me. Cameras and locked doors are everywhere, it slows the tempo quite a bit. I know these kind of games have these mechanics, but it seems a bit too much in this one. Performance drops a lot in the external environment, I had to turn down some of the settings, but I still think the game is well optimized. Inventory management is chaotic. And I would prefer a detailed map(with fog of war) instead of quest markers.

I tried it with Russian voice-over, but contrary to the general opinion, I found English voice-over more effective and better. There is a lot of dialogue, I couldn't play it while trying to read all the subtitles.

Denton

There was a trailer years ago for Atomic Heart that was sort of psychological and focused on agent P-3 (who from what I remember looked different back then). I think the trailer was only in russian. I cannot find it on youtube. Does anyone remember it and better yet, have a link to it?

Flabagast

I am loving the game so far but I must say that doing test ground after test ground is becoming a little tiring. How long is remaining just before the theater ?

This game is a treat. Not on my radar at all but now hits all the right buttons. Just rummaging through an underground lab facility filled with killer robots is just comfort food for me idk.

Also tried 1 minute of the english vo and noped out, way to try hard Duke Nukem. In Russian, it actually pulls off the vibe quite well. Everything is so surreal.

mogor

Just finished the game. I really loved the art & design from the trailers, made me want to play the game right away. It's a bit uneven, the inventory system didn't make much sense, going full melee with the shield upgraded made the game rather easy in the late game. Things never got stale, though, it has a great length, the worldbuilding is awesome and the game kept me engaged the whole way through. Very reminiscent of Bioshock, for sure. Really looking forward to their next game, one thing that they could really improve upon is the stealth system, pretty much useless in this game.

jaysius

I'm getting a bug on Series X Gamepass where when I load my game, I'm missing my 2nd dodge, when I go to the Nora unit my tree is showing I HAVE the extra dodge, but it doesn't recognize it until I remove and readd it, this also goes for other character skills.

This game is buggy af.

Currently running through the Pavlov area, This place is basically the "We don't go to Ravenholm Anymore" from Half Life 2.
Fought my way down a few floors before getting stuck in in one of the rooms inside a bed, Had to restart from the safe room at the top of the level. :(

Also trapped myself inside the Hawk control thing near the Pavlov, I used the little spider bug to deactivate the Hawk but heard enemies behind me so moved further inside but the doors then closed trapping me inside. Had to restart the area again. :(

I'm getting a bug on Series X Gamepass where when I load my game, I'm missing my 2nd dodge, when I go to the Nora unit my tree is showing I HAVE the extra dodge, but it doesn't recognize it until I remove and readd it, this also goes for other character skills.

This game is buggy af.
I think the second dodge can only be done after you hit an enemy. Either that or mine is bugged too.

Bogroll

Likes moldy games
I think the second dodge can only be done after you hit an enemy. Either that or mine is bugged too.
I've never had a problem with second dodge. Have you checked with Nora to checked you selected it as a few times i thought I changed something only to find it hadn't changed.

Last edited:
I've never had a problem with second dodge. Have you checked with Nora to checked you selected it as a few times i thought I changed something only to find it hadn't changed.
I'm just gonna chalk it up to a bug I can live with. I've done all the testing area's so my guns are powered up all the way. Plushies are my only real bane. If more than 2 show up at a time I'm screwed.

jaysius

Nope, if you buy the 2nd dodge, you get a 2 over in the left corner.

That 2 goes back to 1, until I GO INTO the NORA and UNINSTALL and REINSTALL the mod.

If I then SAVE I'm in a room with a SAVE and NORA, and then I LOAD my game the fucking 2nd DODGE is GONE AGAIN.

Also from loads I've lost skills.

This is a game loading issue.

Last edited:

GymWolf

I am loving the game so far but I must say that doing test ground after test ground is becoming a little tiring. How long is remaining just before the theater ?
You are not forced to do all of them.

I only did the ones that contained parts for the weapons i was using and the map tells you what you find inside any of them.

Watching the credits roll now. I think I got the bad ending though the alternative seemed rather bad as well. I don't know if I can change the ending at the save point.
31.5 hours of play time. Very long game, full of content, I did all the testing grounds.
Due to a several bugs I had to replay several areas over from save points. Usually getting stuck somewhere in the world geometry, seemed to be railings the most problematic.

I'm giving this game a B rating.
If the bugs had been more problematic I would make it a B-.
If the overworld hub had been better constructed and designed, I would have given a B+.
It's the wonderful art, world, sound, music and overall personality on display that keeps it from being a C average game.

Good gameplay, good enemies, good weapons and powers.
Controls need to be fixed so that diagonal movement isn't slow.
Perhaps I'm being too lenient, but I really did enjoy my playthrough.

Game was a huge showcase of art and imagination.
That last bit into the archives was a total homage to Bioshock. :)

Last edited:

Flabagast

Watching the credits roll now. I think I got the bad ending though the alternative seemed rather bad as well. I don't know if I can change the ending at the save point.
31.5 hours of play time. Very long game.
Due to a several bugs I had to replay several areas over from save points. Usually getting stuck somewhere in the world geometry, seemed to be railings the most problematic.

I'm giving this game a B rating.
If the bugs and been more problematic I would make it a B-.
If the overworld hub had been better constructed and designed, I would have given a B+.
It's the wonderful art, world, sound, music and overall personality on display that keeps it from being a C average game.

Good gameplay, good enemies, good weapons and powers.
Controls need to be fixed so that diagonal movement isn't slow.
Perhaps I'm being too lenient, but I really did enjoy my playthrough.

Game was a huge showcase of art and imagination.
That last bit into the archives was a total homage to Bioshock. :)
How long is left after the theater ?

Is it possible to go back roam in the open world after the ending ?

How long is left after the theater ?

Is it possible to go back roam in the open world after the ending ?
You have the entire Pavlov area which is smaller than the theater. But I'd say your 4/5 of the way complete after the theater.

It had an option in the menu to return to area.

Last edited:

Bridges

Watching credits roll right now. What an incredible game, absolutely loved it. I felt pretty overpowered by the end of it, but that felt very rewarding after how brutal the opening hours are. Plus, the final boss still proved very challenging and needed multiple attempts even with all of my upgrades.

I was very surprised by the ending as well. A lot of the game's story feels pretty predictable but I did not expect it to go the direction it did.

I really hope we get a sequel in the future, would love to see more of this world and mechanics with a little bit more polish.

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
I finally got around to starting the game. I haven't played it long enough to fully judge it yet, but I'll say this is one of the most miserable opening experiences of a game I've had in recent memory. I'm just not enjoying myself. At all. I haven't gotten out into the world yet and I've been playing for a good 4 hours. I find the combat incredibly repetitive and overly frustrating. The weapons are severely limiting. I don't enjoy the melee combat at all, but I find it the most efficient way to kill enemies, and it's also the most repetitive way. Swing swing dodge... swing swing dodge. Rinse, repeat over and over and over again. So far I've only invested in a couple abilities... shock and freeze and I've found both virtually useless thus far. The lockpick mini games are starting to get really annoying already and I haven't even gotten out into the world yet.

Not going to fully judge it yet until I get out of here. I had no idea the opening areas of the game were going to be this long, I mean my god. Hopefully my opinion changes on it once I play it some more, but I'll see.

Last edited:

bender

What time is it?
I finally got around to starting the game. I haven't played it long enough to fully judge it yet, but I'll say this is one of the most miserable opening experiences of a game I've had in recent memory. I'm just not enjoying myself. At all. I haven't gotten out into the world yet and I've been playing for a good 4 hours. I find the combat incredibly repetitive and overly frustrating. The weapons are severely limiting. I don't enjoy the melee combat at all, but I find it the most efficient way to kill enemies, and it's also the most repetitive way. Swing swing dodge... swing swing dodge. Rinse, repeat over and over and over again. So far I've only invested in a couple abilities... shock and freeze and I've found both virtually useless thus far. The lockpick mini games are starting to get really annoying already and I haven't even gotten out into the world yet.

Not going to fully judge it yet until I get out of here. I had no idea the opening areas of the game were going to be this long, I mean my god. Hopefully my opinion changes on it once I play it some more, but I'll see.

I'm earlier on than you but I'm a little annoyed by the amount of lootable objects in the environment. It feels like that is all I'm doing.

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
I'm earlier on than you but I'm a little annoyed by the amount of lootable objects in the environment. It feels like that is all I'm doing.
Totally agree. Just running around holding R1 and just running the reticle over every drawer and cabinet is getting tedious already.

Roberts

Totally agree. Just running around holding R1 and just running the reticle over every drawer and cabinet is getting tedious already.
I don't know, there is something addictive about pulling all the drawers open with my sovietski jedi powers. Imagine doing that at RDR2 speed! I'm halfway through and it never gets old.

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
I don't know if I just haven't picked up on the best way to approach combat yet, but I'm still in the loooong beginning area, and I must have died like 30+ times already. I find myself running out of ammo, and stuck fighting several robots at once. Maybe it's because I'm so bored by the combat and the ridiculous endless stream of enemies you have to fight in every god damn room, to where I stop giving a shit about trying to perfectly dodge and just start hacking to get it over with. It's ridiculous how much damn damage and health some of those robots have. I don't remember any of the reviews talking about difficulty, but I can't remember a FPS I found as frustrating as this in terms of enemies. There's way too many of them, they're all the damn same, and they pack a punch. I'm going to start just skipping them altogether if I can.

My opinion on the game has not changed. I fucking hate it. It's fucking miserable. I'm still in this freaking opening area, just how long is this? I have to get these cannisters and each cannister has its own room that has its own puzzle. It's absurd how over the top long and tedious they made this section. My god. And how after spending countless chunks of my time picking up untold amounts of materials I somehow only have enough for a few upgrades.

I hope so much that 1) I get out of this damn place soon and 2) once I do the game changes. Otherwise, early contender for my worst game of the year 2023 award.

oji-san

Which melee weapon do you guys like best?

Most of the game Pashtet, later on Zvezdochka. Both fun.

Finished the game at about 40 hours, did all the testing grounds. Ending was cool and leaves place for a sequel.
My biggest issue with the game is that you become overpowered about mid game, the first 15 hours were much more fun to play, once you upgrade all your skills and weapons you become an unstoppable monster including bosses, in fact the first open-world boss was also the most challenging and fun.
After all the years they delivered big time, for the sequel i would like to see harder enemies and perhapes drop the open world as it was less interesting then the underground areas, they have the basics here for another great game as Atomic Heart looks and runs great.

Last edited:

oji-san

I don't know if I just haven't picked up on the best way to approach combat yet, but I'm still in the loooong beginning area, and I must have died like 30+ times already. I find myself running out of ammo, and stuck fighting several robots at once. Maybe it's because I'm so bored by the combat and the ridiculous endless stream of enemies you have to fight in every god damn room, to where I stop giving a shit about trying to perfectly dodge and just start hacking to get it over with. It's ridiculous how much damn damage and health some of those robots have. I don't remember any of the reviews talking about difficulty, but I can't remember a FPS I found as frustrating as this in terms of enemies. There's way too many of them, they're all the damn same, and they pack a punch. I'm going to start just skipping them altogether if I can.

My opinion on the game has not changed. I fucking hate it. It's fucking miserable. I'm still in this freaking opening area, just how long is this? I have to get these cannisters and each cannister has its own room that has its own puzzle. It's absurd how over the top long and tedious they made this section. My god. And how after spending countless chunks of my time picking up untold amounts of materials I somehow only have enough for a few upgrades.

I hope so much that 1) I get out of this damn place soon and 2) once I do the game changes. Otherwise, early contender for my worst game of the year 2023 award.
Best time in the game imo, later on you'll miss it, well not the very begining but sevrel hours in is more fun then later on. Anyhow if you like the setting i'll suggest keep going as it's really going to be easier after some upgrages.
There's a skill that keep you from getting hurt when dodging, TK skill with extra damage to enemies when falling is great. all shok upgrades are good, i also replaced frezze with the polymor jet and it's awesome, you can spary the enemies and then zap then, very good. Keep going.. in a few hours you will be a monster.

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
Man... if enemies pin you up against a wall, that's pretty much it. You're KO'd. Nothing you can do you can't move, you're stuck while they just slash away at you.

TwinB242

Man... if enemies pin you up against a wall, that's pretty much it. You're KO'd. Nothing you can do you can't move, you're stuck while they just slash away at you.

There's a really frustrating part later on that highlights that issue. My enjoyment of the game really plummeted at that point.

Last edited:

Bridges

Get the Telekinesis Polymer asap and that makes this much less of a problem. Always keep a melee on you so you can hack away enemies that try to pin. Reading through your other posts in this thread I think a lot of your concerns will go away once you are able to upgrade your glove more. Enemy volume/frequency will only increase though, especially in the open world.
Which melee weapon do you guys like best?
Switched to the Pashtet after being recommend to in this thread, then never looked back. It's so fast and strong, and its unlockable ability is completely game changing.

Filben

Man, I hope so much they going to fix the broken lighting and shadows on the open world areas. It's real immersion breaking, but the game itself is so much fun! (and I like the protagonist)

Top Bottom