• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Atomic Heart |OT| From Russia With Love

Flabagast

The more I play the more I love it tbh (still in the beginning taking my time - been 6 hours and I just reached the open world part). I understand the criticisims but it's right up my alley, we get those kind of weird-Si-Fi/mad-ambition-facility-going-awry/immersive-sim-light kind of cinematic FPS once every two-three years and I find this one pretty good, better than Wolfenstein 2 or even Bioshock Infinite for the moment.

I had to stop for today but is it possible to deactivate all the robots in open worlds areas ? The game seemed to be hinting at it by directing you to a tower and needing to get the deactivation codes from the grandma, but I did not go that far already.

Last edited:
I love this game. I am getting a little motion sickness from it though. My middle-aged brain can't handle it.
You're not alone. I hardly ever get motion sick, but this game's FOV and weird protagonist movement did it.

On PC, I installed the "Flawless Widescreen" app to increase the FOV, and it helped.

hinch7

The upgraded Electro is so OP. It synergizes so well with the energy on melee hit perk along side other crowd control abilities. So much so I haven't needed to use any other gun since I unlocked the secondary/special
- EMP
with its big damage. Frostbyte and Shok tree are 100% worth investing in too, love juggling between the two and stunlocking enemies, in between blasting and melee'ing them.

The game starts off slow with unlocks and enemies were quite annoying most mobs take so many hits to take down. But enjoying it quite a bit more I'm unlocking more abilities that continually make a big difference.

Last edited:

hinch7

True. Its a bit like Mass Effect in the respect. The only thing being is energy management as eats through energy capacity, if not careful. And if when/if I get overwhelmed by several mobs it can get a little intense.. as its a constant power struggle of big attacks and energy regen lol. Still have yet to get the late game weapon unlocks but atm using a shotgun as a backup.

Now really want to see what that last weapon (unlock) can do.

Day 3 hour 4 and Im in A boiler room looking at a naked mustache bot with interesting “parts”.

Had my first game stopping bug after a super slow cart ride around the room fending off flying machines, I get all the way around jump off into the railing and just get stuck there unable to get out. I could turn around but not jump or move out. Had to reload and do that entire room again. 😞

Still enjoying though.

Bridges

Not gonna lie the opening hours of this game really tested me. The checkpoints are rough and the enemies are surprisingly aggressive in a way I didn't expect. The English dub, as everyone has already pointed out, is atrocious. I started in Russian but unfortunately am not proficient enough yet to grasp it without subtitles (which are too tiny and scattered) so I had to switch to English after the intro.

Once I got some upgrades though things really started to click. I put most of my points into Speed and Health and Dodge so now I'm bouncing around and able to take bigger hits without worrying too much. I also have pretty much exclusively used the Axe which has been really fun. It's almost fully upgraded now and I feel like Shok + a couple axe swings is enough to take the stress out of most encounters.

I'm a bit past the first boss now and think I'll be sticking with it. It does not make a good first impression but so far it seems it may be worth fighting through.

yamaci17

Not gonna lie the opening hours of this game really tested me. The checkpoints are rough and the enemies are surprisingly aggressive in a way I didn't expect. The English dub, as everyone has already pointed out, is atrocious. I started in Russian but unfortunately am not proficient enough yet to grasp it without subtitles (which are too tiny and scattered) so I had to switch to English after the intro.

Once I got some upgrades though things really started to click. I put most of my points into Speed and Health and Dodge so now I'm bouncing around and able to take bigger hits without worrying too much. I also have pretty much exclusively used the Axe which has been really fun. It's almost fully upgraded now and I feel like Shok + a couple axe swings is enough to take the stress out of most encounters.

I'm a bit past the first boss now and think I'll be sticking with it. It does not make a good first impression but so far it seems it may be worth fighting through.
using polymer jet and then cartridges to burn freeze or electrify them is fun too

GymWolf

The upgraded Electro is so OP. It synergizes so well with the energy on melee hit perk along side other crowd control abilities. So much so I haven't needed to use any other gun since I unlocked the secondary/special
- EMP
with its big damage. Frostbyte and Shok tree are 100% worth investing in too, love juggling between the two and stunlocking enemies, in between blasting and melee'ing them.

The game starts off slow with unlocks and enemies were quite annoying most mobs take so many hits to take down. But enjoying it quite a bit more I'm unlocking more abilities that continually make a big difference.
The polymer gel synergize better with the electro power than the ice one.

The telekinesis air stomp is also very strong.

The game has so many playstyles to chose, i love this aspect, all the powers are super useful.

yamaci17

The polymer gel synergize better with the electro power than the ice one.

The telekinesis air stomp is also very strong.

The game has so many playstyles to chose, i love this aspect, all the powers are super useful.
im pretty sure people who say it is boring or repetitve did not even bother to explore these stuff

GymWolf

im pretty sure people who say it is boring or repetitve did not even bother to explore these stuff
I'm really not sure how you can score this game less than a 7.

It has everything, incredible art design and interesting plot premise, satisfying combat (especially the melee), puzzles, rewarding exploration that require some brain because even with an x-ray vision you still have to figured out how to reach some chests, great graphic, great performances, a lot of lore everywhere, a sexy fridge, sexy twins, interesting enemies, robust and exciting powers\progression system, and the game doesn't feel more clunky than some other triple A titles in the same genre like prey, dishonored or deathloop, and combat is honestly better than all of these games, i can't stress enough how much they nailed the melee both for hit reactions and precise gore, cutting zombie and robots feels so good, almost dying light 1 level, cyberpunk melee felt good enough but hit reactions weren't as heavy and the gore was kinda random.

Like i'm almost 10 hours in and i still have like 2-3 hours before even reaching the open world part, so the game if you explore and try to find everything is even pretty fucking big, i have no idea how you people reached the open world in 2 hours unless you rushed without exploring anything or if you play on easy...

If people are not playing this because it's not as smooth as doom or because the writing is not on ND level (not for me, i take p3 and charles over edgie and fucking dina every day of the week) it's really their loss.

Last edited:

GymWolf

The axe is weak dude, have you found the project for the machete in the first area when you have to find 4 container to revive the tree? It has 5 attack instead of 3 of the axe (without upgrades) and it's way faster, and the special attack you can unlock is super fucking cool.

Last edited:

yamaci17

that scene at the end of VHDN complex... jeez this game is something else

im just amazed how beautifully animated stuff is. especially in cutscenes and in game interactions

Last edited:

Hugare

that scene at the end of VHDN complex... jeez this game is something else

im just amazed how beautifully animated stuff is. especially in cutscenes and in game interactions
Yeah, this scene is beautiful

Story is going to some predictable places, but I dont care at all. It's engaging and beautifuly presented.

I'm loving the game more and more. Might even become my GOTY so far.

I'm even doing the testing ground sidequests, something that I rarely do in open world games.

All of them have some interesting puzzles that are taking me a while to solve. They are basicaly Portal test chambers that reward you with upgrades for your arsenal.

Much better than 90% of the open world stuff that you find in any other game.

This is one of those games that I'm already sad that its going to be over. It keeps throwing new, amazing areas time and time again.

Denton

So umm when is the best time to go off and explore or visit those testing grounds and what not, narrative-wise? I just finished the exhibition and experienced the freaky dream sequence, and now I am supposed to visit theatre. And btw did I miss anything
regarding Petrov? How is he alive again, was that decapitated body not his?

Hugare

So umm when is the best time to go off and explore or visit those testing grounds and what not, narrative-wise? I just finished the exhibition and experienced the freaky dream sequence, and now I am supposed to visit theatre. And btw did I miss anything
regarding Petrov? How is he alive again, was that decapitated body not his?
When you feel like it.

I started doing theme xactly at the same point as you are right now.

Because unfortunately, the museum is locked off, and I missed some "sidequests" there (searching for the bodies of the rich visitor / finding the cannisters for the lunar room), so I'm not taking any chances and doing everything I can before progressing.

Regarding Petrov

Your boss mentioned that you shouldnt trust that he is dead just by seeing his body. I think he is an AI now or something like that.

Like i'm almost 10 hours in and i still have like 2-3 hours before even reaching the open world part, so the game if you explore and try to find everything is even pretty fucking big, i have no idea how you people reached the open world in 2 hours unless you rushed without exploring anything or if you play on easy...
I don't think I'm even close to the open world part yet lol. I'll try to put in some hours this weekend.

phant0m

I'm playing on the Game Pass PC version, I was looking for a way to change language but didn't see it. Is Russian only available on consoles?

Also, not sure how this got such a lukewarm response from reviewers. Feels like a modern Bioshock/Prey (2017) and looks pretty damn good to boot. There's some cringe dialog for sure but there's also some that's pretty funny. Any game that has a Granny yelling "Eat shit and die!" while firing an RPG is a winner in my book.

Hugare

I'm playing on the Game Pass PC version, I was looking for a way to change language but didn't see it. Is Russian only available on consoles?

Also, not sure how this got such a lukewarm response from reviewers. Feels like a modern Bioshock/Prey (2017) and looks pretty damn good to boot. There's some cringe dialog for sure but there's also some that's pretty funny. Any game that has a Granny yelling "Eat shit and die!" while firing an RPG is a winner in my book.
I'm playing on GP PC, and its there in the option. Dont remember if its in "Audio" or another option.

You can select different voice/subtitles languages, which is pretty great and not present in every game

I wanted to play it in russian but the characters talk so much during combat, usually meaningful stuff, so I gave up and changed to english

And yeah, the reception boggles my mind. It will certainly be remembered as an underrated gem years from now.

Bosses are awesome so far, but that red goo thingy that only gets damage from melee was a bitch to kill.

I've killed it after wasting all my medkits. I dont think that I killed it in the right way.

Last edited:
Finally figured out how to add a cartridge to the weapon.
For anyone wondering, you have to first upgrade your weapon to use cartridge then either find or craft a cartridge and have it in your main inventory. Then bring up the spinning wheel menu select the open circle (mine was at the bottom but I think you can move it) select your cartridge.
This took me Way too long to figure out on my own. If there was a tutorial I missed it.

-Rant on-
I hate draggy cursors in games.
The menu in Atomic Heart uses a combo controller/draggy cursor interface. This works ok for Mouse and Keyboard but I think it's unacceptable for console games.
Please developers I beg you, don't put draggy cursors in your games.
I should be able to get around the entire menu without having to touch the sticks. Use the D-pad, bumpers, triggers and buttons. It can be done, It should be done.
Reading emails is way too time consuming just trying to select them. Have to use the stick to draggy cursor over to the email, press use Then draggy cursor over to the email to scroll, then have to draggy cursor over to the attachment press use, then draggy cursor over to the next email, repeat.
-Rant off-

Flabagast

Finally figured out how to add a cartridge to the weapon.
For anyone wondering, you have to first upgrade your weapon to use cartridge then either find or craft a cartridge and have it in your main inventory. Then bring up the spinning wheel menu select the open circle (mine was at the bottom but I think you can move it) select your cartridge.
This took me Way too long to figure out on my own. If there was a tutorial I missed it.

-Rant on-
I hate draggy cursors in games.
The menu in Atomic Heart uses a combo controller/draggy cursor interface. This works ok for Mouse and Keyboard but I think it's unacceptable for console games.
Please developers I beg you, don't put draggy cursors in your games.
I should be able to get around the entire menu without having to touch the sticks. Use the D-pad, bumpers, triggers and buttons. It can be done, It should be done.
Reading emails is way too time consuming just trying to select them. Have to use the stick to draggy cursor over to the email, press use Then draggy cursor over to the email to scroll, then have to draggy cursor over to the attachment press use, then draggy cursor over to the next email, repeat.
-Rant off-
Yeah I agree for your rant.

Though for the weapon upgrade menu, I find it much more practical to navigate with the D-pad vs the cursor

Alex11

Did anyone else stay in testing ground 1 for a while just listening to the fat house song? That shit was brilliant. Did not expect that at all. Felt like I was back 20 years ago in a London nightclub :messenger_tears_of_joy:

And then you find the trippy loot crate..

The games a head fuck. I love it.

How did you enter Testing Ground 1? I seem to have some sort of bug that everything in the area is dead and can't access the cameras.

Dr.Morris79

How did you enter Testing Ground 1? I seem to have some sort of bug that everything in the area is dead and can't access the cameras.
Thats.. odd. On some of the doors you do have to power them up first. For the first one there is more than one tower that controls the cameras, if you use the wrong one it'll seem like the camera you need is 'off'

I think there is around three control points in the area, did you try them all? I'll be honest, it took me about an hour for it to click for me. After that I carried on doing them all, I havent even done that first boss in the area yet.

Alex11

Yeah, it is, I know the basics, you need a camera to hack the door, I did the boss in that area and after that I overloaded that thing in the sky, and I think something went wrong after that, the robots didn't come to repair it.

So I decided to finish the next mission, maybe it would reset somehow the state, but no, the same, even weirder is that I one-shot some of the robots, but not all of them, so weird, think I just somehow confused the game :messenger_beaming:

Playing it on Gamepass, if that's got anything to do with it.

Bridges

The axe is weak dude, have you found the project for the machete in the first area when you have to find 4 container to revive the tree? It has 5 attack instead of 3 of the axe (without upgrades) and it's way faster, and the special attack you can unlock is super fucking cool.
Oh shit, I think I have the blueprint for this ("Fox" or something?) but I never made it.
Definitely going prioritize upgrading this now, thanks for the tip

Bridges

It's in the Audio section of the settings, but you can only see the option from the main menu. If you check Audio from the pause screen then there will not be a language option.

phant0m

It's in the Audio section of the settings, but you can only see the option from the main menu. If you check Audio from the pause screen then there will not be a language option.
Thanks man! Yeah I was in game when I first looked which is why it didn’t show up

DeaDPo0L84

I'm enjoying the game and as a huge fan of the Bioshock games and Prey it's scratching the itch. But man some of these early missions are 💤. But I'm gonna continue on, I know it's only going to get better.

SZips

Game was alright at best. Tons of jank. Glad it ran fairly well on my 1080 Ti with some compromises. Dumb idea not to include an FOV slider either but I used Flawless Widescreen from the start so it wasn't a massive issue. Dialogue was worse than Forspoken, easily. The puzzle-focused dungeons were a nice change of pace. Weapon upgrades, with a couple of exceptions, just never felt significant enough. And the handful of softlocks encountered were certainly frustrating, especially when it happened in the open world where checkpoints apparently aren't a thing the devs cared to implement with any sort of frequency, if at all.

But that ending? That ending fucking sucked hard. And I supposedly got the "good" ending.

Last edited:
Got an achievement for talking to a cow.
I made it too the open world part. I have so many questions, How does this alarm thing work? Can I somehow get rid of the respawning repair bots?
How do I respec my skill points? There was a tutorial back underground, but I no longer see an option in the Nora.
I've been spending tons of exploring and found enough polymer to fully upgrade the shok.
I'm near the arena where the trailers showed the fight with that big ball. But there is so much to explore around it that I'm lost.
Smurf huts are not safe like the safe rooms back underground. Enemies will still run in and attack you. Scared the crap out of me.

Alex11

I made it too the open world part. I have so many questions, How does this alarm thing work? Can I somehow get rid of the respawning repair bots?
Well, they are endless basically, but there is a floating machine in each area (you see on the map by a circle) that you have to get it down and if you overload it will put them in a cooldown.

How much time, don't know, as I have a bug, I've overloaded one and it stays down for good it seems, so I have an area where everything is kinda dead.

How do I respec my skill points? There was a tutorial back underground, but I no longer see an option in the Nora.
If I remember correctly, there is a button when you hover over an acquired skill that lets you reverse it and you get back what you spend on that skill.

yamaci17

I've been spending tons of exploring and found enough polymer to fully upgrade the shok.
I'm near the arena where the trailers showed the fight with that big ball. But there is so much to explore around it that I'm lost.
Smurf huts are not safe like the safe rooms back underground. Enemies will still run in and attack you. Scared the crap out of me.

you can respec specific skills. just hover over them and you will see a button called "Return". that will respect the entire tree of ability
you cannot indefinitely disable bots, but you can disable for them for a long duration. you have to

1) find a camera hub, through cameras, you must open the door of terminal responsible for Hawk (the flying ecosystem overlord).
2) then go to the said terminal, and you can then overload the Hawk

you can also open the doors of testing grounds via cameras. as a matter of fact you have to. just switch between cameras till you find them. usually a button prompt appears on the terminal/door

GymWolf

Ok i'm finally getting the criticism of the open world being overwhelming with so many enemies and cameras and flying drones but my advice is pretty simple, run.

If you just wanna loot houses you can enter inside them while being chased and enemies many times go away or maybe one of 2 of them follows you, you beat those, loot and exit and go to the next house, you don't have to fight and enemies have the same attention span of when i was 12 years old during the religion lesson at school, it is not ideal, they should tone down a bit how many enemies are out there, but i was expecting worst tbh.

Chose your battles guys.

The map being absolutely useless is the major flaw to me.

GymWolf

Is it weird that when I was having filthy sex with my wife last night, all I could think about was Nora?
7ceygg.jpg

You could have tell her to say nasty things with a robotic voice to make the experience even more realistic.

Yes, use your hardened polymer on me, comrade. (or shit like that)

Last edited:

Salz01

In the second biome currently. Getting tired of the door puzzles, and any sort of puzzle actually. It slows the progress down so much. I don’t mind a few puzzles here and there, but I seriously say ‘ Crispy Critters’ every time I get another fucking puzzle to deal with.

simpatico

Halfway through collecting the 4 canisters to open the door, and this game is amazing. I don't understand how it's not getting more attention. I have a hard time imagining this won't be Top 3 or higher in my GOTY. Easily the most engulfed I've been in a game since Elden Ring.

Hugare

Ok i'm finally getting the criticism of the open world being overwhelming with so many enemies and cameras and flying drones but my advice is pretty simple, run.

If you just wanna loot houses you can enter inside them while being chased and enemies many times go away or maybe one of 2 of them follows you, you beat those, loot and exit and go to the next house, you don't have to fight and enemies have the same attention span of when i was 12 years old during the religion lesson at school, it is not ideal, they should tone down a bit how many enemies are out there, but i was expecting worst tbh.

Chose your battles guys.

The map being absolutely useless is the major flaw to me.
I'm late into the game (theater) and I've been looting pretty much every area no problem

My advice is: scan the area for cameras, and destroy them first. No cameras = no alarms.

Normal enemies dont raise your alarm meter, so deal with the cameras first and there will be no problem. Sure, they regen after a while, but by the time the regen bots arrive you are already out of view from the camera.

Also, teleknesis is way too oo for crowd control. And it regens so fast, so spam away.

I havent finished the theater yet, but the first big area and the museum are still better.

The worldbuilding in this are is amazing tho. Collecting voice diaries you see how the theater's downfall happened, eventualy becoming a brotel. It's at Bioshock's level, even better.

Oh, and the boss fight before entering this area was superb. All the bosses have been fun to fight and WAY better than other immersive sims/open world games.

They are fast, incredibly designed and very rewarding. Enemies in general are very diverse and well designed. They nailed this aspect of the game.

Last edited:

Alex11

In the second biome currently. Getting tired of the door puzzles, and any sort of puzzle actually. It slows the progress down so much. I don’t mind a few puzzles here and there, but I seriously say ‘ Crispy Critters’ every time I get another fucking puzzle to deal with.
Yes, I'm starting to have that problem, solving a door puzzle to enter and find another puzzle gets a bit overdone. Also in the Testing Grounds, although they are fun, and most are pretty easy, there tends to be one too many for me.

The bosses are also a hit and a miss for me, the first one in the open world, the big ball robot, that was awesome and had a cool mechanic. But the rest are pretty basic, dodge, hit, dodge, hit and some are so spongy.

Last edited:

rapid32.5

Halfway through collecting the 4 canisters to open the door, and this game is amazing. I don't understand how it's not getting more attention. I have a hard time imagining this won't be Top 3 or higher in my GOTY. Easily the most engulfed I've been in a game since Elden Ring.
I also really enjoying the game, this is my Bioshock 4 replacement so far. I love every aspect thus far, don’t mind characters talking at all.
Ken Levine better watch out, it would be hard to impress people with Bioshock magic again in 2024.

FoxMcChief

7ceygg.jpg

You could have tell her to say nasty things with a robotic voice to make the experience even more realistic.

Yes, use your hardened polymer on me, comrade. (or shit like that)
Well, to be honest, I’ve asked her to do the robot voice in the past. I’ll just have her add some “comrades” and “Hogwarts” stuff tonight.

simpatico

Something about the standard robots spooks me the hell out when one sneaks up on me. Smacked my mouse across the desk last night. I think it's part encounter design, but the character design plays a part too. Big uncanny valley, unsettling vibe.

ungalo

Finished the game, it was good. It's a bit of a design mess, but nothing that gets too much in the way of fun. Obviously great art direction and soundtrack. The writing didn't bother me, i think it's actually not as bad as some people say, it's just really far from games like Bioshock (from which the game drew a lot of inspirations, really a lot), and kinda weird at times.

Last edited:
Top Bottom