• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Audiophile GAF

Ironbunny

Heres the main point from the video and it is what most audiophiles agree upon. No need to watch the video and click it due the trigger topic.

"Experience things for yourself and then come up with your own conclusion"

Last edited:

teezzy

Banned
Heres the main point from the video and it is what most audiophiles agree upon. No need to watch the video and click it due the trigger topic.

I think you'd be shocked how many people ignore this very obvious advice though. Audio and video equipment are both such easy rabbitholes to fall through.

People are never satisfied with what they have and are often convinced their gear just isn't good enough. They focus more on what "audiophiles" should like rather than what they actually enjoy

This cheapaudioguy is my kind of dude tbh. He has no stuffiness whatsoever about him which is super rare as far as audiophiles go

Reallink

The problem with that is our aural memory is dogshit and we're very easily biased into hearing things that aren't there. That's how people wind up buying $10,000 power cables and $3,000 cable risers. Same is true on the opposite end of the spectrum. In isolation we will find middling speakers to be fantastic, but with a direct point comparison we'd find them to be pretty terrible. Such a comparison is very difficult if not impossible for the average end user to perform due to the necessity of different placement/positions, the speed of switching required, and the extreme importance of exact level matching. So no, drawing your own conclusions will lead a lot of people down some dark paths.

Last edited:

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
cat lady meow GIF by America's Funniest Home Videos

Chittagong

Last edited:
I am tempted to replace my OG AirPods for the Pro 2s but will probably just keep my AirPod Maxes as my go to.

My friend has the newest AirPods and he's spamming me how awesome they are, haven't have a chance to listen to those yet.

I've started the preparations to refurbish my Yammies next month, unfortunately my health issues funked up my schedule.

Also bought a book about loudspeaker building in Polish from scratch. Will redo my Saba enclosures while I am at it, since they started to deteriorate. I was having hard time deciding the wood material.

Thank God someone put a book together.

trxkpQc.jpg

Density of different materials.

MDF has almost the same density as plywoood. And is not as stiff may be a more friendly building material for a noobie, since the simple stiffening frame should make it not resonate. I plan to use natural wood thick 1mm veneer which then I can stain and varnish.

dvusrJI.jpg

Stiffening the enclosure - types.

There's also chapter about damping materials and whatnot. And internal standing waves. With diagrams what stuff do what inside the enclosure. Type of glues to use in building the enclosure etc

A really nice read. All put in together for students and enthusiasts.

Last edited:

Iglooghost - Yellow Gum, the end drop jumped from 1wpc to like 25wpc - insane

1 wpc
Kinneret

1wpc - another Kinneret track

A few tracks I've been having on repeat during this week. They just pump like crazy, all in closed enclosure. Surely some BR loudspeakers can go even lower.

Last edited:

Iglooghost - Yellow Gum, the end drop jumped from 1wpc to like 25wpc - insane

1 wpc
Kinneret

1wpc - another Kinneret track

A few tracks I've been having on repeat during this week. They just pump like crazy, all in closed enclosure. Surely some BR loudspeakers can go even lower.

Woofer excursion is the most satisfying thing ever imo

Woofer excursion is the most satisfying thing ever imo
Yeah. Check out this bad boy. Can go up to 10cm Xmax if pushed with more power although the manufacturer listed 8cm. Check the surround

Only 500 units made. For Polish Audio Video Show, I think - would have to verify it.
20cm diameter.

The only other woofers with similar build currently produced are Deaf Bonce Machete.

Last edited:

Mamofish

Been loving my A12t pair from 64audio, this is my first time listening with something of real quality. Amazing detail! Going through all music I know and i'm hearing so much more out of it. Wish I would've been on this a long time ago.

txnxwVn.jpg

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
I'm looking into getting the new SMSL C200 DAC/amp it seems unbelievable value for money and has been reviewing excellently.

https://www.smsl-audio.com/portal/product/detail/id/799.html

I'm also looking at getting a pair of Hifiman Sundara headphones and a Schiit Loki+ to go with the C200.

Anyone got any of the above???
Loki mini+ here. It does the job and does it well. I like the option to bypass the processing entirely when its not needed.

I've heard positive things about the other 2 but haven't had the chance to listen to them unfortunately.

Looking at the new Esoteric gear announced at the Tokyo Audio Show

🤤
"Special wave-shaped heat sink to reduce peak resonance"
"Dual honeycomb grills and semi-floating top panel for heat exhaust efficiency and a sense of sound emission"

... at least the name of the company fits the product perfectly XD

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
Just started my audiophile journey
Audio-Technica AT-LP60XBT
Audioengine A2+ speakers
Fiio m11s DAP
Fiio FH5s IEMs

VaA55LK.jpg
Welcome, brother! Don't be afraid to stop in when you have questions or feedback on gear!

Dunno if it's of interest for you, but Discogs is nice if you get into collection vinyl. I use primarily for keeping track of my own collection but you can also pick up new & used vinyl, which is nice for the harder to find stuff.

Last edited:
Going to check out buying the Yamaha RX-V4A. Goes for $600 cdn. Seems like they are fixed up from a few years ago which I read it didn't work right (needed to sent back and patched).

It looks like it does everything pretty well including 8k and 4k/120. Only thing its missing is Dolby Atmos.

I'm not a big audio nut or anything but my home theatre receiver from like 10 years ago is archaic.

If anyone has any recos on other gear feel free to tell. I dont want to spend more than the $600 cdn (about $450 US). But if there's better brands and model I'm all ears.

Last edited:

Con-Z-epT

Seems like they are fixed up from a few years ago which I read it didn't work right (needed to sent back and patched).
There was a problem with the Panasonic chipset that's responsible for the HDMI 2.1 signal. You couldn't get the full resolution / frames with it.

Do you have a source for this because iam also interested in one of these?

There was a problem with the Panasonic chipset that's responsible for the HDMI 2.1 signal. You couldn't get the full resolution / frames with it.

Do you have a source for this because iam also interested in one of these?
I remember reading about this a year ago when I was browsing for a new receiver, but only lately started thinking about it again as I'm in the shopping mood to finally buy one.

It looks like as long as the models affected are made in late 2021 or later, you (and me) are good. I'm eyeballing it at Costco. I'm assuming they arent selling old ass models. But just in case, I'll return it as they got great return policies.

HDMI 2.1 board exchange of select 2020 AV Receivers with Certain Gaming, Video Devices
(November 2021)​

Affected models: RX-V4A, RX-V6A, RX-A2A and TSR-700
For certain pass-through compatibility with: Xbox Series X, NVIDIA RTX30

From the time we launched several AV receivers in 2020, we stated that we would support emerging HDMI 2.1 capabilities – including pass-through of 4K/120Hz or 8K/60B – in these models via future updates. A hardware update is required on the above AV receivers only for customers who plan to connect Xbox Series X or NVIDIA RTX30 at 4K/120Hz or 8K/60B to these select AV receivers.

Please Note:
  • You will not need this HDMI board update unless you are planning to connect an Xbox Series X or an NVIDIA RTX30 video graphic card device at 4K/120Hz or 8K/60B signal transmission.
  • The HDMI board update keeps the specifications of your model’s AV receiver the same - 4K/120AB, 8K/60B HDMI 2.1 (with firmware update) with up to 24Gbps on specified inputs will continue to be supported.
  • Above models manufactured later in 2021, are unaffected by the pass-through issue, requiring only a future firmware update to enable certain HDMI 2.1 capabilities.
Participating in this complimentary board exchange program requires you to send in your current AV receiver to a repair facility with turnaround times estimated at 8-10 business days (includes shipping times). Shipping materials are also available if needed.

If you desire the hardware update and want to check if your model is affected, please sign in or sign up using the form on this page.

Con-Z-epT

I remember reading about this a year ago when I was browsing for a new receiver, but only lately started thinking about it again as I'm in the shopping mood to finally buy one.

It looks like as long as the models affected are made in late 2021 or later, you (and me) are good. I'm eyeballing it at Costco. I'm assuming they arent selling old ass models. But just in case, I'll return it as they got great return policies.

HDMI 2.1 board exchange of select 2020 AV Receivers with Certain Gaming, Video Devices​

(November 2021)​

Affected models: RX-V4A, RX-V6A, RX-A2A and TSR-700
For certain pass-through compatibility with: Xbox Series X, NVIDIA RTX30

From the time we launched several AV receivers in 2020, we stated that we would support emerging HDMI 2.1 capabilities – including pass-through of 4K/120Hz or 8K/60B – in these models via future updates. A hardware update is required on the above AV receivers only for customers who plan to connect Xbox Series X or NVIDIA RTX30 at 4K/120Hz or 8K/60B to these select AV receivers.

Please Note:
  • You will not need this HDMI board update unless you are planning to connect an Xbox Series X or an NVIDIA RTX30 video graphic card device at 4K/120Hz or 8K/60B signal transmission.
  • The HDMI board update keeps the specifications of your model’s AV receiver the same - 4K/120AB, 8K/60B HDMI 2.1 (with firmware update) with up to 24Gbps on specified inputs will continue to be supported.
  • Above models manufactured later in 2021, are unaffected by the pass-through issue, requiring only a future firmware update to enable certain HDMI 2.1 capabilities.
Participating in this complimentary board exchange program requires you to send in your current AV receiver to a repair facility with turnaround times estimated at 8-10 business days (includes shipping times). Shipping materials are also available if needed.

If you desire the hardware update and want to check if your model is affected, please sign in or sign up using the form on this page.
Some sites state that both the XsX and the PS5 are affected and others say its just the XsX. Weird...

Will surely buy one in the next months since my system is also about 13 to 14 years old.

Good lord this Vinyl collecting game is expensive lol Trying to hunt down Nine Inch Nails - Ghosts I-IV and I'm seeing prices of $200+ same with Spacemonkeyz vs Gorillaz - Laika Come Home trying to go for a complete artist collection for both NIN and Gorillaz

Last edited:

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
Good lord this Vinyl collecting game is expensive lol Trying to hunt down Nine Inch Nails - Ghosts I-IV and I'm seeing prices of $200+ same with Spacemonkeyz vs Gorillaz - Laika Come Home trying to go for a complete artist collection for both NIN and Gorillaz
Yeah the price of vinyl has gotten terrible in the past 5 years. I used to be able to pick up a new LP on release day for like $15. Now I am lucky if it's $30 or less.

hSE54mM.jpg
RvTm0Md.jpg

Tomorrow I drive with the enclosures to the carpenter workshop 💪. He asked to empty out the damping and foam seals from under the drivers and switches. I need to catch wires and stuff with a zipper in one place today and they're ready for refurbishment.

BTW. Seals did not survive- will have to redo them, I was thinking about large piece of 1mm rubber mat. And redo the seals from it. Should be more airproof than foam anyways and durable too.

Can't wait! To pick them up after renovation. I'm curious about the end effect.

Last edited:
Top Bottom