• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Axiom Verge |OT| Life's A Glitch

Sir TapTap

Well, advice still stands, you really got to bait the flies and run back, since they move fast and through walls. They should die pretty easily on Normal though, just take them on one at a time, a single one is possible to dodge, 2+ gets really hairy. Depending on your gear you can take them out at range, but you must have the Kilver and it works.

Debating whether to buy this by Tuesday for the discount and to support the dev. I just spent like $350 on vintage gaming and I have a new baby at home. Realistically it might be summer before I could play it. Since some have scoffed at the price I wonder if this game will be due for a sale sooner than some other indies. I could see it being in a mid-summer flash sale.

Glad everyone is enjoying it. Wish I could game....!

Sir TapTap

Debating whether to buy this by Tuesday for the discount and to support the dev. I just spent like $350 on vintage gaming and I have a new baby at home. Realistically it might be summer before I could play it. Since some have scoffed at the price I wonder if this game will be due for a sale sooner than some other indies. I could see it being in a mid-summer flash sale.

Glad everyone is enjoying it. Wish I could game....!

They've confirmed they won't be doing a sale for at least 6 months. And I think the review scores and impressions have shut down most of the $20 whining. I strongly recommend picking it up now because of the 6 months thing, the discount, and it being one of the finest games I've ever played.

Chitown B

Hard Mode? This is part of the reason I don't recommend hard mode for a first playthrough. Gotta be super careful in Edin. Glitch enemies and bait them with the Kilver. Two shots should do it for those big-eye fly things on Hard, one on normal. Don't forget your
drone
has basically infinite HP if you stay away and shoot it in to bait enemies. Just jump around the flowers, you can't just back up and shoot, let them fly past you. Take your time and clear out what's in front of you or you can't run back.

hate Edin. I'm on hard. But I'm a Super Metroid veteran.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Picked this up Friday night and was playing a whole bunch on Easter... think I have something like 47% of the map done. Just got the
Grappling Hook
and made it to what seems to be near the top of the world, hit a save point and then hit a dead end so now I'm backtracking trying to figure out where to go (and collecting items I couldn't get before...).

Very good game, probably the best indie Metroidvania yet... even though it's sooooo blatantly Metroid, it does enough unique stuff that keeps it fresh, and is mechanically very sound. I'm the kinda person who sometimes continues playing NES games as they slowly glitch up, and I think this game is made for those people.

My loves:
-Music is pretty good, especially in the first
outdoor[/spoiler area.
-Does a good job at conveying the 'mystery' atmosphere present in a lot of early NES games. It's pretty vague, slightly confusing, and not at all in-your-face with tutorials/exposition.
-Great sprite work on the bosses.
-A nice challenge level... not ridiculously so, but you still need to pace yourself, learn enemy patterns, and not rush into things. A few 'cheap' hits here and there i.e. off-screen spiders who will quickly jump down at you. But the placement of save points is great and the enemies all take a decent bite out of you, HP-wise.

My issues with it:
-sound effects are really loud and some very harsh
-character portrait is dorky
-bosses are HP sponges with easy patterns.
-
grappling hook
control is weird and touchy

Overall a great game and I'm very happy with it. Friends, who are huge retro gamers, also seemed to be quite into it once we all realized that this is more than just a Metroid clone.

Megasoum

Banned
OMG... Those green headcrab kind of thing are a real bitch!

How the fuck do you get those off your drone? This is just fucking stupid....

Chitown B

I'm sure it can go in, not exactly sure the physics of it. Only did it once. If nothing else, you can do it later after getting all tools anyway. I rather like how getting more tools lets you bypass more tedious ways of getting around in the game, great for the sense of progression. Part of why I don't want fast travel in, you would miss out a lot if you never traversed an area more than once.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cDy2uYrA3Co

*shrug*

Chitown B

Well, advice still stands, you really got to bait the flies and run back, since they move fast and through walls. They should die pretty easily on Normal though, just take them on one at a time, a single one is possible to dodge, 2+ gets really hairy. Depending on your gear you can take them out at range, but you must have the Kilver and it works.

it's funny, I never used the Kilver after I got it. It seemed like it would be weak and he zero range. But I'm trying it now and it's pretty powerful.

DeviantBoi

CB7FPktXIAA9XZ6.jpg

Does anything change after I finish the game? I just go back to my last save and start exploring the map and getting the items I missed?

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Did anyone get the trophy for glitching all enemies? I'm kinda curious what I may have missed. As I was going for 100% I made sure to go after enemies, particularly using the
glitch bomb a ton, and getting things like the cocooned spider and big armored creature that spews steam.

Shoot the egg directly into the mouth

Regarding the spoiler:
You can miss using the robot, but not the items it brings you do. With the best dash and enhanced launch you can just barely make it up there without it. Pretty neat to do it the right way though

Yeah I liked that bit before the last boss, and Trace's general allusions to being a reluctant combatant.

Huh, I definitely missed figuring out what to do with this flying robot.

What does it bring you then?

Is Sir Tap's map of Edin complete? I seem to be missing a note there and have checked all those spots thoroughly. Also does anyone know where those bugs that you get the health upgrade from are?

They've confirmed they won't be doing a sale for at least 6 months. And I think the review scores and impressions have shut down most of the $20 whining. I strongly recommend picking it up now because of the 6 months thing, the discount, and it being one of the finest games I've ever played.
Thanks for that info! I didn't know about this and so I'll get it now. I've never had an issue with the price. It's just a time thing.

On the "verge" of giving up, I think. Have super jump, lab coat 1, passcode, far drone launch, but the only progress areas seem to be Edin from the right (can't throw drone high enough) or the Kur high point (requires teleporter, which I don't have). Indi is only partially accessible by drone and Zi is maxed out.

Any ideas? (I guess the sirtaptap map would be helpful if it had a legend to the upgrades apart from the minor stuff.)

Chitown B

On the "verge" of giving up, I think. Have super jump, lab coat 1, passcode, far drone launch, but the only progress areas seem to be Edin from the right (can't throw drone high enough) or the Kur high point (requires teleporter, which I don't have). Indi is only partially accessible by drone and Zi is maxed out.

Any ideas? (I guess the sirtaptap map would be helpful if it had a legend to the upgrades apart from the minor stuff.)

Upper right of Kur is the grappling hook. You can swing over into Indi and then go up the middle to the middle part of Edin.

Sir TapTap

Did anyone get the trophy for glitching all enemies? I'm kinda curious what I may have missed. As I was going for 100% I made sure to go after enemies, particularly using the
glitch bomb a ton, and getting things like the cocooned spider and big armored creature that spews steam.

Huh, I definitely missed figuring out what to do with this flying robot.

What does it bring you then?

Haven't gotten all glitches, I'm wondering if (boss spoilers)
the little hornets from the big hornet boss count and are missable, and if it all has to be in the same save file. Also all 3 final boss forms.

It takes you to where you get
the turbine.Not a big deal like I said, there's a little cliff you can shoot up to instead

CB7FPktXIAA9XZ6.jpg

Does anything change after I finish the game? I just go back to my last save and start exploring the map and getting the items I missed?

No, the game is designed for replays, not NG+ or anything. Ending spoilers:
There are at least 2 endings but if your items/map are both green on that screen I think you got the "better" of the two

OMG... Those green headcrab kind of thing are a real bitch!

How the fuck do you get those off your
drone
? This is just fucking stupid....

Heheh. Play that like a stealth section, but you can just fire your laser in their direction to kill them. If you get stuck more than once you're probably dead though. You can do it later but I'd recommend getting to the end. There's a
_ gun _
in it for you if you're doing what I think you are.

hate Edin. I'm on hard. But I'm a Super Metroid veteran.

Super Metroid isn't exactly hard combat-wise either.

That map was only really intended to be for 100%/speedrunning. Working on a spoiler-free sort of thing but it's kinda hard to write. Especially since everyone's getting stuck on stuff I had no issue with, but I think I know the biggest problems so far. But yes, as per above,
you're missing the grappling hook in Kur, and possibly the glitch gun 2. I think a lot of people miss the "obvious" posts here, there's a room clearly designed for the drone in lower Kur and a gate clearly showing glitch gun lvl 2 as the requirement in upper Kur

I don't have a clue where I should go. Done 2 bosses, got 4 weapons and been to 4 different new areas since my last boss and every where I get to a dead end. Really bumming me out

Sir TapTap

Is there a way to tell from the in-game map what items I'm missing?

Not exactly-- a yellow/purple dot on the map of an area tells you if you have 100% items/map in that area. Gotta use my (incomplete, sorry) map otherwise

I don't have a clue where I should go. Done 2 bosses, got 4 weapons and been to 4 different new areas since my last boss and every where I get to a dead end. Really bumming me out

There's something waiting for you in the top of Zi. You need to go the long way around (to the right, up, then left. Just left of Kur). If you can't jump high enough, you missed something in Kur.

JonCha

Yeah I'm stuck too.

The last boss I did was the hornet. I know there are two new areas to explore but I don't see how to get the routes - ones blocked by an unbreakable and the other is too high ...

Not exactly-- a yellow/purple dot on the map of an area tells you if you have 100% items/map in that area. Gotta use my (incomplete, sorry) map otherwise

There's something waiting for you in the top of Zi. You need to go the long way around (to the right, up, then left. Just left of Kur). If you can't jump high enough, you missed something in Kur.
Jeah. Each room I go I cant reach tons of platforms. Thanks for the tip ;)

Sir TapTap

Jeah. Each room I go I cant reach tons of platforms. Thanks for the tip ;)

Ah, you will feel very liberated by an item in Kur then. Shouldn't be hard to find now that you know where to look, not many places open yet in Kur.

Yeah I'm stuck too.

The last boss I did was the hornet. I know there are two new areas to explore but I don't see how to get the routes - ones blocked by an unbreakable and the other is too high ...

Is it too high? Is it really? Less vague:
jump, dash up, shoot your drone up, hatch it and it should reach the top of that "too high" thing

bede-x

Has there been any talk about how they're gonna adapt the controls to the Vita? I'm definitely gonna go through it again on PC and maybe Vita, but it would depend on the controls. What's gonna be mapped to the touchscreen?

DeviantBoi

Don't know if this has been mentioned...

In Kur, in the room below the two side-by-side save rooms, there's a health node that's not on SirTapTap's map. It's in the hidden area and you need the drone to get to it.

Chitown B

Has there been any talk about how they're gonna adapt the controls to the Vita? I'm definitely gonna go through it again on PC and maybe Vita, but it would depend on the controls. What's gonna be mapped to the touchscreen?

you can see how it works now if you play remotely. It's not ideal. drill is top right front touch screen.

Sir TapTap

Didn't get a final control scheme when I asked, Vita version is still in active dev after all.

Gonna guess (item spoiler)
glitch bomb and maybe the grapple
? Definitely used very little, though that second one would be a bit fussy without a physical button. Quick select will probably be sacrificed but maybe there will be touch select to make up the difference. The drill actually works fine on the touchscreen too, that's what it is on remoteplay. Left Stick could be set to some controls as well, just like you can now, though aside from quick select I'm not sure what you'd even want on it.

Don't know if this has been mentioned...

In Kur, in the room below the two side-by-side save rooms, there's a health node that's not on SirTapTap's map. It's in the hidden area and you need the drone to get to it.

I think that's on my updated (but not yet uploaded) map, I'll double check when I'm home

you can see how it works now if you play remotely. It's not ideal. drill is top right front touch screen.

It's just the default remoteplay setup, not indicative of how the Vita version will work. Tom confirmed he left remoteplay settings at default

Ah, you will feel very liberated by an item in Kur then. Shouldn't be hard to find now that you know where to look, not many places open yet in Kur.

Is it too high? Is it really? Less vague:
jump, dash up, shoot your drone up, hatch it and it should reach the top of that "too high" thing
GOT IT! Thanks :D

Megasoum

Banned
Heheh. Play that like a stealth section, but you can just fire your laser in their direction to kill them. If you get stuck more than once you're probably dead though. You can do it later but I'd recommend getting to the end. There's a
_ gun _
in it for you if you're doing what I think you are.

Yeah I got the
gun
and then died exactly 10 pixels away from the
note
in the other room lol. I'll try again tonight.

Chitown B

Alright well what the heck is this?

CBodTcVWEAAJY52.jpg

Because I've done literally everything between these two spots.

can't figure out how to get over this either. I've decided this has to be the way I need to go since I don't have a gun to
distort the 3rd level glitches
and those are blocking all of my currently unexplored paths.

bede-x

Gonna guess (item spoiler)
glitch bomb and maybe the grapple
? Definitely used very little, though that second one would be a bit fussy without a physical button.

The glitch bomb wouldn't be too much of a loss on a touchscreen. The grapple though? As soon as you realise that you can't jump after a grapple and use the momentum, it works so precisely on a regular controller and, like you, I can't imagine that translating well to the touchscreen.

Will be interesting to see what they decide.

Mesoian

can't figure out how to get over this either. I've decided this has to be the way I need to go since I don't have a gun to

You need to turn around. There are other things you need to get first.

Sir TapTap

sure but how else would it work? There aren't 4 triggers on a Vita.

Yeah, some buttons will be sacrificed, but I imagine the final setup will be different. Could use rear touch as a single button, discreet touch areas on the front pad, make select something other than "open the last menu you had open", turn the left stick into buttons by default. Lots he could do, will be interested to see the final layout. It's certainly not easy to map to the Vita controls perfectly.

The way forward is in
edin
, enter from the left. Don't forget you can
teledash up

Yeah I got the
gun
and then died exactly 10 pixels away from the
note
in the other room lol. I'll try again tonight.

It's pretty intense, in the room with all the zombie things I just barreled through them...you can kill them one by one if you're clever though. Ignoring them until you get the item is a one way trip but if you already got the other goodie you might as well.

Sir TapTap

Worknig on the spoiler free "walkthrough" which is more like a series of hints. Would it be too much to expose optional weapon names when suggesting boss strategies?

Worknig on the spoiler free "walkthrough" which is more like a series of hints. Would it be too much to expose optional weapon names when suggesting boss strategies?
You could reveal a few letters of the weapon name, so it's only recognizable when you already acquired the weapon.

Nose Master

I'm really trying to, but I just don't like this game that much. I love metroid clones, but there's a lot off about this. The glitch gimmick is cool, yeah. The level design is getting to be pretty annoying, though. Everytime you get a new ability there's about 30 paths that are unnecessarily long that wind up being a dead end with another 1/5 of a life piece or a weapon that's creative, but ultimately useless. It should be somewhat clear where the obvious place to progress is using the new ability, but it isn't.

The enemies being bullet sponges / hitting too hard / never dropping health is also the worst.

Sir TapTap

I've entered that way. The door at the top is glitched when I get up there. I even went up and to the right to grab another gun, with the drone.

Not sure we're talking about the same place. Look to the immediate right of the entrance from Indi.

I'm really trying to, but I just don't like this game that much. I love metroid clones, but there's a lot off about this. The glitch gimmick is cool, yeah. The level design is getting to be pretty annoying, though. Everytime you get a new ability there's about 30 paths that are unnecessarily long that wind up being a dead end with another 1/5 of a life piece or a weapon that's creative, but ultimately useless. It should be somewhat clear where the obvious place to progress is using the new ability, but it isn't.

The enemies being bullet sponges / hitting too hard / never dropping health is also the worst.

If you pay close attention, it should really be quite apparent where a LOT of the abilities are used. There are many, many moments where it's telegraphed you're going to need something to get past something, or moments where you realize a dead end isn't. It's not going to hold your hand but the game does give hints.

You didn't start on hard, did you? Nothing should really hit all that hard until pretty late game. Hard mode also reduces health drops.

Chitown B

Not sure we're talking about the same place. Look to the immediate right of the entrance from Indi.

If you pay close attention, it should really be quite apparent where a LOT of the abilities are used. There are many, many moments where it's telegraphed you're going to need something to get past something.

I'll look again. I know I can teledash up...

This is what I have right now:

11049482_10152946359437039_7122722520188315864_o.jpg

Sir TapTap

I'll look again. I know I can teledash up...

This is what I have right now:

How the heck did you find the
orbital discharge
, Im' so mad I didn't notice that one on my own. Anyway, you're fine, just enter Edin from Indi and look right (and keep an eye out for things above you)

Chitown B

How the heck did you find the
orbital discharge
, Im' so mad I didn't notice that one on my own. Anyway, you're fine, just enter Edin from Indi and look right (and keep an eye out for things above you)

haha. I honestly don't remember :) I'll look thanks

Sir TapTap

Not quite ready for primetime, but anyone brave or who has beaten the game anyway can check out my spoiler free walkthrough and give me feedback. I tried to be as specific but vague as possible, never really done this before. I just kind of point out the major places where people get stuck, where/how to use your newest traversal power, boss tips, stuff like that.

I was kind of hoping to avoid spoiler tagging (because I mean, how) and instead wrote it to be read scrolling down line by line if you need more help.

Top Bottom