• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Axiom Verge |OT| Life's A Glitch

Sir TapTap

When you guys say "lightning gun" against that one boss, are you referring to (item spoilers)
Inertial Pulse, a semi-automatic shot, or "lightning gun" which is the actual name of a short range automatic, auto-targeting lightning bolt?

This hornet boss is kicking my ass. How do I kill it?!

Weapon spoilers:
Shards helps. Also, if you glitch it's little buddy bees, they all explode at once and cause damage to it if they're close--a lot of damage actually

Thanks. I actually did that shortly after before you replied but then there are
metal blocks stopping me from drilling the bricks.

You're looking in the wrong place.
Look at the top of Kur not Ukkin Na.

Wow!

Incredibly helpful. I loved your idea of having three maps :)

Glad it helped! Someone suggested Metroid style generic dots for the map, so I decided to have one like that, one with full spoilers and one with no items since it was pretty easy and less spoilery.

no way. NO WAY!

I just realized right near the end of my 3rd playthrough, that you could
ride the giant head in Indi

Man, that would have really helped on my speedrun!

Awkward

The final boss. Fuuuck this. Goin to sleep.

It's not a great boss IMO. The
flamethrower
weapon is a huge help though, you can also try
Data bomb, and don't forget to glitch bomb the satellites, especially the first wave. Kill them ASAP after breaking the first blue core, as the later ones that spawn are way easier to dodge

EDIT: I struggle badly with the dash action on the stick. Much easier with the d-pad, but I'm used to controlling with the stick now because of the 8-way shooting.
What no use the d pad. The 8 way shooting with it is perfectly fine

edit: there's a passcode in the credits! anyone try it?

Chitown B

Is it too high? Is it really? Less vague:
jump, dash up, shoot your drone up, hatch it and it should reach the top of that "too high" thing

I am like 25 hours into the game and JUST realized
you can hatch the drone early

*facepalm*

however I still have the same issue with the metal that the other person does. edit: nevermind, you can dash through them. I think it's weird that you can only do one layer of dash but sometimes you can do two.

Sir TapTap

I am like 25 hours into the game and JUST realized
you can hatch the drone early

*facepalm*

however I still have the same issue with the metal that the other person does.

...you guys took the hint the wrong way.
Go to the top of Kur not Ukkin Na. "Too high" was in reference to that. But the drone thing will help there

Chitown B

unnamed_zpsqjqiu9ex.jpg

I assume it's like God Mode or something? Not trying it.

TheOfficeMut

Unconfirmed Member
When you guys say "lightning gun" against that one boss, are you referring to (item spoilers)
Inertial Pulse, a semi-automatic shot, or "lightning gun" which is the actual name of a short range automatic, auto-targeting lightning bolt?

Weapon spoilers:
Shards helps. Also, if you glitch it's little buddy bees, they all explode at once and cause damage to it if they're close--a lot of damage actually

You're looking in the wrong place.
Look at the top of Kur not Ukkin Na.

Glad it helped! Someone suggested Metroid style generic dots for the map, so I decided to have one like that, one with full spoilers and one with no items since it was pretty easy and less spoilery.

Awkward

It's not a great boss IMO. The
flamethrower
weapon is a huge help though, you can also try
Data bomb, and don't forget to glitch bomb the satellites, especially the first wave. Kill them ASAP after breaking the first blue core, as the later ones that spawn are way easier to dodge

edit: there's a passcode in the credits! anyone try it?

Awesome. Thank you.

Number45

The purple background with the green lighting strike weapon icon, I think the first. Not at home at the moment so can't check the name.

I don't know why I used the stick for this at all. Played Rogue Legacy recently exclusively with the d-pad. I'll re-train, because that dash is become much more important. >_<

Axiom Verge will probably never be on PS+. Love that he's being so transparent about this.

You get that warning for anything starting with with Axio. And yeah, don't try it on a normal save file. I tried a totally different passcode starting with axio and it didn't seem to do anything, maybe this is the only one that works though. I assume it's some sort of cheat.
I think he also said it won't get a discount for 6 more months. Good stuff

Vire

Axiom Verge will probably never be on PS+. Love that he's being so transparent about this.

You get that warning for anything starting with with Axio. And yeah, don't try it on a normal save file. I tried a totally different passcode starting with axio and it didn't seem to do anything, maybe this is the only one that works though. I assume it's some sort of cheat.

Damn, I was holding out for that since it seems like every Indie game known to man is making its way to PS+...

Sir TapTap

Damn, I was holding out for that since it seems like every Indie game known to man is making its way to PS+...

People say this, but it's really super false. There are more indie games coming month on month than PS+ could ever possibly cover. I wish more devs would be ardently against PS+ because while I love it, encouraging people to wait for PS+ is really nasty all around.

oh Voranj. Yeah I used that all the time.

...there way too many weapons people could be calling "lightning gun" in retrospect. I try to only use the proper names since I have them all now.

I think he also said it won't get a discount for 6 more months. Good stuff

Yep, they were clear about that even before launch which is also cool. I don't think I heard about PS+ before today, but glad they're holding out against it.

Edit:
Man the secrets are really secretive. Found hidden areas and weapons just by accident and experimentation.

I found a new minor secret passage bridging two rooms yesterday when completing the map again. There's some cool ones that don't even lead to items, but let you avoid enemies or skip to parts of the map a bit easier, feels great. I yelled "oh shit!" when I found this one, it's so simple but cool. Done that a few times in this game now. That third boss.

FZW

I think im almost done with this game, that Hornet boss is some bullshit. Gonna give it one more go tonight and ill decide then but there are just some parts of this game that are unnecessarily frustrating.

Chitown B

I think im almost done with this game, that Hornet boss is some bullshit. Gonna give it one more go tonight and ill decide then but there are just some parts of this game that are unnecessarily frustrating.

try glitching his wasps, then when he gets near the little floating white things, shoot them and they'll explode. This takes down about 1/4 of his health at least on Hard. Makes it MUCH easier.

edit: God dammit, nevermind... brain fart. The trick I described below is for the Sentinel.

There's a (potentially unintentional) trick to that one. For some reason you can go back to the previous room to grab some health from the regular enemies, and the boss will retain its existing damage. As long as you don't stray too far.

Props to Sir TapTap for the hint (who else?).

Massa

30 games came out on PS4 in March alone while only 2 games are given for free each month, those are the odds you're dealing with.

NervousXtian

Thought Emoji Movie was good. Take that as you will.
Dammit, how do you get to the room on the bottom right of Kur.

I glitched all the guys so you can jump on them.. but how do you get to the right to go down??

Chitown B

Dammit, how do you get to the room on the bottom right of Kur.

I glitched all the guys so you can jump on them.. but how do you get to the right to go down??

had this issue last night. Figured it out:

Go up to the left, then drill/bomb near the upper left of the screen and get up there - then drill all the way across the top of the screen.

NervousXtian

Thought Emoji Movie was good. Take that as you will.
had this issue last night. Figured it out:

Go up to the left, then drill/bomb near the upper left of the screen and get up there - then drill all the way across the top of the screen.

Thanks, swear I tried that.. but nope.. missed that spot.
Thanks!

Defect

I have 99% of items and all the individual trophies for the notes, map completion, tools, etc

I'm still missing at least one item in Zi. I have no idea where it is. Is there a guide with all the items in zi or something?

Vire

30 games came out on PS4 in March alone while only 2 games are given for free each month, those are the odds you're dealing with.

Yeah, but typically they pick the ones that score well critically and are worth half a damn.

(Transistor, Valiant Hearts, Child of Light, Towerfall, Fez)

Really? Felt like much less to me. I guess I tune out a lot of stuff I don't care about. I do skim through the PSN store every few days as I'm always on the lookout for new digital games, which tend to be the ones holding my interest lately but also tend to drop with barely any notice.

Crypt

I didn't have too much trouble with the game until the final boss fight. It feels impossibly hard without the trick I found on youtube. I think I played it about 15 times before looking for help online.

Took me 15 hours to beat with 95% map coverage and 73% of items. I really hope there is a second one. This was the best game I've played this year.

I didn't have too much trouble with the game until the final boss fight. It feels impossibly hard without the trick I found on youtube. I think I played it about 15 times before looking for help online.

Took me 15 hours to beat with 95% map coverage and 73% of items. I really hope there is a second one. This was the best game I've played this year.

Yeah I did not enjoy the final boss despite it being conceptually cool. After 10 to 15 attempts and suffering carpal tunnel pain from mashing square and double-tapping directional buttons non-stop I decided to go hunt down the
flamethrower
as suggested in this very thread, which suddenly made the boss a cakewalk.

From maddeningly hard to lack of challenge... has to be a better balance! Only a tiny speck on a largely sublime experience though.

JP

I'm completely stuck after getting the
lab coat
. I've gone everywhere I could and I can't seem to progress. Am I supposed to do something with the power source? Because I can't do anything with it. Any hints?

Also, is this jump to the left supposed to be impossible with the high jump right now? Because it seems like I should be able to make it.
cb1td5gwmaalnvn4ru0h.jpg

9 hours in, 25% of items and 36% of the map. This location in the screenshot that people keep posting, I've just picked up the
grappling hook
, before I start tracking all the way back to the start, is that the item that will allow me to get across the gap in the picture?

Sir TapTap

The problem with the final boss is
It's really just a DPS race and there's no reasonable way to dodge it. The satellites drop plenty of health WHEN they drop health, but that's basically RNG. It depends very heavily on your weapon, and is basically impossible with certain ill fitting weapons, crazy easy with the Flamethrower, and pretty manageable with the Data Bomb or Energy Tether, but even then it's not very fun. The boss should have been something more like boss 3 where you break off bits to change the pattern to something more manageable. Boss design in general is the weak point IMO, nothing else felt lacking to me.

9 hours in, 25% of items and 36% of the map. This location in the screenshot that people keep posting, I've just picked up the
grappling hook
, before I start tracking all the way back to the start, is that the item that will allow me to get across the gap in the picture?

Yes, I'm pretty sure you can get across that, or you can get into Indi as well.

TheOfficeMut

Unconfirmed Member
I'm roughly 70% into the game's maps and I am salivating at the prospect of a second game. I love this game. I hope the sequel improves the bosses because those have been my biggest disappointments. That's about it.

Chitown B

grappling hook

yes

In Kur,
does anyone know how to get up on the ledge in the middle "large room" on the FAR upper left? Seems like you are supposed to shoot your drone but it's way too far even with jumping and angling off the top platform. I have the far launcher.

JP

Yes, I'm pretty sure you can get across that, or you can get into Indi as well.

Thanks, didn't want to spend ages making my way to the fas side of the map to find that I needed something else.

Is anybody else finding the boss fights too easy in this on Normal? I struggled with the first one but that was partly down to me not really knowing what I was doing that early on but following that the others have followed really simply patterns and I either get them on my first attempt or on my second. They just seem to be a matter of standing in the right place and jumping or shooting for a couple of seconds at a time.

I'm not suggesting that I'm good at stuff like this, if anything I'd suggest that I'm not and it's really surprising just how easy it's been.

Sir TapTap

yes

In Kur,
does anyone know how to get up on the ledge in the middle "large room" on the FAR upper left? Seems like you are supposed to shoot your drone but it's way too far even with jumping and angling off the top platform. I have the far launcher.

You miss a lot of neat things in this game if you don't glitch all new enemies to understand what they do.
Glitch the wall scorpion thing that's in the wall opposite that cliff, it makes a path

Thanks, didn't want to spend ages making my way to the fas side of the map to find that I needed something else.

Is anybody else finding the boss fights too easy in this on Normal? I struggled with the first one but that was partly down to me not really knowing what I was doing that early on but following that the others have followed really simply patterns and I either get them on my first attempt or on my second. They just seem to be a matter of standing in the right place and jumping or shooting for a couple of seconds at a time.

I'm not suggesting that I'm good at stuff like this, if anything I'd suggest that I'm not and it's really surprising just how easy it's been.

First and second boss are super easy, next couple are just puzzles. Boss design is a bit inconsistent, certainly not a strong point. I don't really recommend playing hard just for harder boss fights, the hardest boss fights are hard for BS reasons IMO.

Chitown B

You miss a lot of neat things in this game if you don't glitch all new enemies to understand what they do.
Glitch the wall scorpion thing that's in the wall opposite that cliff, it makes a path

I thought that was a different spot. I did that before. Maybe I got those things already then.

Number45

grappling hook
You won't actually have to go back that way, but yes that will do it.

Sir TapTap

in Edin, how do I get higher in the area on the left of the middle save point? I can't do it!

You mean above the false ceiling to get that
health node
on the map?
Grapple along the ceiling at the top, then teledash into the "cage" at the far left of the outcropping. Dash when you are swinging and basically kissing the ceiling. You can also use the drone with extended launch after grappling off the left side, but it's harder.

Chitown B

You mean above the false ceiling to get that
health node
on the map?
Grapple along the ceiling at the top, then teledash into the "cage" at the far left of the outcropping. Dash when you are swinging and basically kissing the ceiling. You can also use the drone with extended launch after grappling off the left side, but it's harder.

nice! thanks. I didn't even think of that or know what that thing was.

PooBone

I got this game today and the music is great. I'm an hour or two into it and came across the address disruptor a little while ago. When you're in the game exploring, it's almost a hypnotic way in which I find myself going about uncovering the map and finding new items and secrets. It's fun, but I'm not sure it will get the hooks in me deep yet.

Sir TapTap

I got this game today and the music is great. I'm an hour or two into it and came across the address disruptor a little while ago. When you're in the game exploring, it's almost a hypnotic way in which I find myself going about uncovering the map and finding new items and secrets. It's fun, but I'm not sure it will get the hooks in me deep yet.

The game hasn't even started until a little bit after the third boss.

Top Bottom