• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Axiom Verge |OT| Life's A Glitch

bede-x

It should be somewhat clear where the obvious place to progress is using the new ability, but it isn't.

Can't say I agree with this, but then I never really felt stuck. I hope he sticks to the Super Metroid formula and never add objective markers (or fast travel for that matter). There's more than enough games out there with objective markers - IMO it's one the big problems with modern gaming - and none of them have ever managed to capture the feeling of exploring a mysterious hostile environment in the same way Super Metroid or this does.

bede-x

I'm near the end but I haven't seen the secret world, how do you find them?

Entrances are placed randomly, I believe. Look for scanlines, as you are close to one when you see them and they will get clearer the closer you get.

Chitown B

Not sure we're talking about the same place. Look to the immediate right of the entrance from Indi.

OK I figured out my issue. At the right top of Edin, I always forget the game isn't very "set" in control rules. Like, you can dash up, but you can also sort of dash up and to the left or right if you jam on your controller at the right split second. It's not very apparent and if you are following what you think are "the rules" in controls, then you'll miss out on some jumps.

bede-x

I love this game.. but damn.. I suck so bad at the grapple..

It's very precise once you get used to it. Just remember the jump button is not needed and won't launch you further at the end of a swing. Grapple and then push the D-pad when you want off (following up with another grapple if you want to continue instead of falling).

So if you want to go far it would typically be jump once and shoot grapple, followed by: d-pad, grapple, d-pad, grapple etc.

Sir TapTap

I love this game.. but damn.. I suck so bad at the
grapple

Item spoilers:
It's not used all that much fortunately. Just shoot it astraight up and start a swing in the direction you want, then hold the button in that direction to launch off. This way you can swing again by only pressing the O button again. It works weird, but it's fine when you understand it--just took me a while to understand it. You can also adjust length with up and down.

OK I figured out my issue. At the right top of Edin, I always forget the game isn't very "set" in control rules.

Well, that is true, but I don't think that's actually required to get up there, could be wrong.

What's the total of small/large health nodes, power ups, etc.?

I only have three maps to go to find everything.

uhhh about that
appears to be random due to the contents of secret worlds, I think? I couldn't begin to count since the game doesn't track how many small nodes you've got. But the secret areas don't count for 100% so just keep going forward. There are over 100 items total.

Nose Master

Can't say I agree with this, but then I never really felt stuck. I hope he sticks to the Super Metroid formula and never add objective markers (or fast travel for that matter). There's more than enough games out there with objective markers - IMO it's one the big problems with modern gaming - and none of them have ever managed to capture the feeling of exploring a mysterious hostile environment in the same way Super Metroid or this does.

I don't want objective markers, I just mean the level design. If you're using a new ability and the area you've gotten in to is more than a handful of screens, it's safe to assume you're going the way to progress. Most of the time, you go through 20+ screens to end up at a weapon/life upgrade, and it's a dead end. There's no reason to make the paths to extraneous items that long.

DeviantBoi

Well, I got both dots on all maps and I'm at 99% items.

I got all notes, weapons, and power nodes. I got the trophies for them.

I seem to be missing some power nodes and I have no clue where they might be cause I have all maps showing as completed.

Any suggestions?

Philthy

I think someone put it best:

"Remember when the last time you wished there was another good Metroid game?"

"yeah me neither!"

This is one of the best. It's like putting in SotN for the first time not having any idea how good it was when it was first released.

Chitown B

I don't want objective markers, I just mean the level design. If you're using a new ability and the area you've gotten in to is more than a handful of screens, it's safe to assume you're going the way to progress. Most of the time, you go through 20+ screens to end up at a weapon/life upgrade, and it's a dead end. There's no reason to make the paths to extraneous items that long.

Agreed. Super Metroid usually looped around to an exit that was back in the main area. A lot of the drone areas just dead end. You can warp back but it's slightly less than optimal level design.

kvothe

Beat it. Wanted to use the
flamethrower
at the end, but since i didn't find the note that revealed its
passcode
, I figured I'd just go ahead without it instead of cheating. Used the ol'
crouch in the corner with inertial pulse and kilver
technique.

Agree with some other posts here that a fast travel between savepoints would be pretty awesome, but it was still a great game.

Sir TapTap

Alright, I'm stumped. Where do I go after getting the Address Bomb? I swear I've checked every dead end on my map.

Very very close by actually...
did you clear the ones in Edin? There's something very important beyond one of them

Agreed. Super Metroid usually looped around to an exit that was back in the main area. A lot of the drone areas just dead end. You can warp back but it's slightly less than optimal level design.

Why would they not dead end when you can just press O? There is no need for them to loop back, that would majorly restrict level design with no reason. Also there's a grand total of like one drone tunnel longer than 4 or so screens.

Very very close by actually...
did you clear the ones in Edin? There's something very important beyond one of them

Thanks, I found it. They really should've made the doors a different color on the map instead of just a slightly thicker white line.

Now I have no fucking clue how to beat this next boss. It seems like I can't do shit without getting hit, and he rarely opens up his mouth so I can shoot him.

NervousXtian

Thought Emoji Movie was good. Take that as you will.
Thanks, I found it. They really should've made the doors a different color on the map instead of just a slightly thicker white line.

Now I have no fucking clue how to beat this next boss. It seems like I can't do shit without getting hit, and he rarely opens up his mouth so I can shoot him.

If it's the
hornet looking guy, Ukhu Variant.. use the shard gun.. pretty simple as you can just hold down square and worry about dodging

Welp I'm stuck again... No idea where I should go...

where you at?

BTW, the lightning gun.. oh damn.. so great for clearing out old areas as you go.

Chitown B

Why would they not dead end when you can just press O? There is no need for them to loop back, that would majorly restrict level design with no reason. Also there's a grand total of like one drone tunnel longer than 4 or so screens.

right, but it seems inelegant.

Agreed it's not as bad as anyone here is making it out to be.

Sir TapTap

Okay, map on my guide should be final now, unless I missed something in Mar Uru or Ukkin Na, checking those out now. Also I might have fucked up Kur--can someone check out two things for me?
I'm pretty sure I confused the two big outdoor sections in upper Kur, I think the power node fragment in the middle room is actually in the top one, can anyone confirm that? Also, I think there was a large health node above the scorpion boss's room in that single tile room, right?

right, but it seems inelegant.

Agreed it's not as bad as anywhere here is making it out to be.

There's nothing elegant about the map and that's beautiful. Everything's so organic and unique and lovely. Dead ends, huge open spaces, long shafts with multiple exits, lovely variety.

Late game, i think.

Just got p
oisoned, and fought myself. unlocked the second lab coat, and met Ophelia. I don't know what to do now.
anyone know where to go?

Megasoum

Banned
If it's the
hornet looking guy, Ukhu Variant.. use the shard gun.. pretty simple as you can just hold down square and worry about dodging

where you at?

BTW, the lightning gun.. oh damn.. so great for clearing out old areas as you go.

I found the door I was missing
(upper right where you liberate the repair drones)

Ocaso

Honestly, I never felt as if the level design was anything BUT directing me towards the right place. True, I was stumped for a while at times, but glancing at the map helped immensely. I think the developer really hit the right balance between making the next place evident without making it obvious.

Sir TapTap

Okay spoiler free guide is up! Also contains maps (behind links) to a complete map with no items marked, a Metroid style map with generic white dots showing locations of items, and the complete, spoilerrific map with all items marked with explicit icons. Phew, hopefully this is about all that's needed.

NervousXtian

Thought Emoji Movie was good. Take that as you will.
I'm on that boss. What is
the shard gun?

It's below that boss a ways in Edin.. the bottom of Edin. Not playing right now but pretty sure you glitch bomb into the spot.

It's a pretty decent gun too.. hold down button and auto-shoots.

Nose Master

Alright, I give up. With no save point warps (whyyy), I'm tired of combing through the world endlessly. I just got the
ability to teleport where my drone is
. Where next?

Chitown B

edit: so, I figured out a good way to kill the hornet boss.

glitch the 3 bugs he releases and let them float up into him as you back up. Then shoot them and they explode green FOR MASSIVE DAMAGE

Nose Master

Christ. Was staring at the "door" without remembering a basic ability. Good stuff. Bomb jumping is a hilarious way to cheese secrets, btw:
Shoot drone, teleport to drone, tap r1 or r2, repeat. Tapping R1 apparently resets the cooldown.

Hornet wasn't bad, I used Voranj. Crowd him a bit so you have more room to move, he backs up easily. Lock position, fire up and to the left, a lot. You should be able to hit him even when he's spawning little guys. Jump after he shoots his two liquid things to avoid the sting. Only bit of randomness is his adds, but you can prolly switch to that small circular electric shotgun weapon to take care of them easier.

george_us

edit: so, I figured out a good way to kill the hornet boss.

glitch the 3 bugs he releases and let them float up into him as you back up. Then shoot them and they explode green FOR MASSIVE DAMAGE
You sure this isn't a bug? I've tried this repeatedly but it doesn't work.

Edit: Nevermind one-shotted him lol

JonCha

Ah, you will feel very liberated by an item in Kur then. Shouldn't be hard to find now that you know where to look, not many places open yet in Kur.

Is it too high? Is it really? Less vague:
jump, dash up, shoot your drone up, hatch it and it should reach the top of that "too high" thing

Thanks. I actually did that shortly after before you replied but then there are
metal blocks stopping me from drilling the bricks.

Number45

For those struggling with the
hornet
boss:

I actually found the lightning gun better than the shard gun, even though you need to tap square to fire, purely because you can be a little more inaccurate with your aiming and still have a good chance of a hit.

He's still a bitch because spacing him is difficult and he pokes without much warning occasionally. I also tended to use the Kilver for the bugs because that way you can guarantee a close kill and you'll get the health back pretty much guaranteed.

The only significant difficulty spike so far for me.

EDIT: I struggle badly with the dash action on the stick. Much easier with the d-pad, but I'm used to controlling with the stick now because of the 8-way shooting.

no way. NO WAY!

I just realized right near the end of my 3rd playthrough, that you could
ride the giant head in Indi

Man, that would have really helped on my speedrun!

Top Bottom