• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Baldurs Gate 3 or Starfield?

Which one will you be playing first?

• I will be playing Baldurs Gate 3, love Larian

• will be holding out for Starfield, more excited for that

• I will try and finish BG3 in a week and play starfield after

• I’m not interested in either, waiting on Silksong

Results are only viewable after voting.

samoilaaa

two games that do things totally different

starfield is for people who like exploring ,crafting , that go anywhere and be who you want experience

bd3 is for people who like a story with decision making and consequences

Mozzarella

Baldur's Gate 3 for sure
Larian has proved to me that they are currently the best RPG developer on the market, and with this legacy IP they acquired we are guaranteed a banger deep rpg experience.
Obviously i will play Starfield later, but Baldur's Gate 3 has my biggest attention.
I hope Larian in BG3 learned to fix the loot and got themselves better writers because those two things are the areas they could improve upon, if they land that then i am in for a new masterpiece.

Both are huge open world WRPG games, what do you mean, they are pretty similar As far as genre goes
WRPG is not a genre.

Last edited:

LordCBH

I’m gonna get BG3 for sure. I would say I will wait on Starfield so the community can patch out all the bugs Bethesda never will, but it’s on Gamepass so….day 1.

Kamina

Golden Boy
The one which comes out first, and then i will switch between them based on my how i feel on a day to day basis.
It will be amazing.

Baki

Starfield as I have Gamepass and am happy to wait for a sale on BG3. Also I prefer Bethesda games to Larian.

Sentenza

My original plan was to use Starfield as a way to soft the long wait for BG3 , but that’s not going to happen now.

The current one is to play both. But at this point SF will have to wait the month-and-counting it will take me to play BG3 to completion the first time.

Spaceman292

Two completely different style of games? Why compare them?

Get BG3, so you can give Beth time to patch out the game ruining bugs, for when you're done with BG3.
Can't play both at the same time.

Actually you can. Yes this thread is dumb.

Filben

BG3 because Starfield is going to need another three months until Bethesda patched the biggest issues and the Unofficial Starfield Patch mod on Nexus comes out to fix the shit Bethesda will never bother about.

Zug

Starfield is gonna be ridden with game breaking bugs for months, like usual with oncle Beth'
BG3 has been in open beta for a couple years already.

Both are huge open world WRPG games, what do you mean, they are pretty similar As far as genre goes
Not really similar at all. The gameplay is so different. One is a CRPG which uses random dice throws to calculate attacks and other skill checks (including dialogue). The other is an open world action RPG that will likely have dialogue options.

xrnzaaas

Neither on launch day. I'm not a fan of how Larian turned BG into a Divinity like game and I wasn't blown away by the beginning of the story from the early access version. Starfield will be bugged as hell on launch so I'll wait a few months.

Denton

Starfield is more to my taste, but I am pretty sure BG3 will be a better written and overall better game.

Virex

Abrasive, but well-meaning
Larian's cringe-worthy writing is enough for me to play Starfield first.

BG3 will never be a proper BG game. Infinity engine days are long gone(recently played through Icewind Dale 1 an 2 again). And I miss the infinity engine games. Icewind Dale 2 still actually looks incredible today. And my original discs installed fine on windows 10 as well.

Mephisto40

It's a good job i probably have another 50 years in me to play whatever I like

It's almost as if you don't need to dedicate your life to a video game when it releases

Last edited:

PillsOff

BG3
Nothing beats RPG's with actual systemic reactivity of it's gameplay n story.

Nothings at this point indicated that Starfield is anything more than bare minimum of what it needs to be to turn a profit on Bathesda brand

Last edited:

SpokkX

Equally excited for both.. however

I am currently more excited for Baldurs since I believe Starfield will be 30fps and then I cant play it

Last edited:

Regginator

Neither. With only a Switch and a PS5, unfortunately Starfield is out of the question. And while I am interested in BG3, I'd rather want to play through 1 and 2 first. As well as both parts of Divinity OS. So by the time I'm done with them, there's probably going tot be a 5th anniversary edition of BG3 that I can pick up.

There should be a option with both of them this is how I feel.The option I try to finish it in a week before Starfield comes is wierd I can both at the same time or let one wait

Last edited:

Sentenza

Neither. With only a Switch and a PS5, unfortunately Starfield is out of the question. And while I am interested in BG3, I'd rather want to play through 1 and 2 first. As well as both parts of Divinity OS. So by the time I'm done with them, there's probably going tot be a 5th anniversary edition of BG3 that I can pick up.
If you didn't play BG1 and 2 in twenty years and counting they've been out, you are not going to do it now. Not to mention they are not a prerequisite to play the new one.

Regginator

If you didn't play BG1 and 2 in twenty years and counting they've been out, you are not going to do it now. Not to mention they are not a prerequisite to play the new one.

But I'm doing it right now! :) Ten hours into BG1 and while I didn't think they are necessary for BG3, as an RPG fan I just felt I had to play through them at least once, even though they came out before my time. Went through Planescape (EE) a year ago too, and planning on doing Icewind Dale as well.

Sentenza

But I'm doing it right now! :) Ten hours into BG1 and while I didn't think they are necessary for BG3, as an RPG fan I just felt I had to play through them at least once, even though they came out before my time. Went through Planescape (EE) a year ago too, and planning on doing Icewind Dale as well.
good on you then.
Technical obsolescence aside, they are still excellent games. Especially BG2.

BG3-related bonus:

Matt Frost

Both? You can buy BG3 and Starfield will be on GamePass and if you look around you can find a monthly subscription very cheap

Umbasaborne

Why Dont We Have Both GIF
Do Both Fast And Furious GIF by The Fast Saga
This is the answer, because one is exclusive to ps and one exclusive to xbox, people feel the need to do these either or type comparisons

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
Bethesda haven't developed a good game in 12 years. BG3 takes priority.

I really hope Starfield's cool but their recent track record doesn't really help.

begotten

They're different games and I'll play both.

No doubt I'll enjoy and get more out of BG3 especially when I have subsequent runs with friends. You can actually trust Larian also since they're objectively a better developer.

Roni

Starfield, even though I think these comparison threads are really dumb.

Maybe I'm in the minority in not knowing, but I learned that Baldur's gate & Baldur's gate dark alliance are completely unrelated/different games.

I was initially excited for Baldur's Gate 3, as I thought it was a follow up to the Baldur's gate dark alliance games that I love.

Sadly it isn't 😞
I don't think it's a comparison thread so much as a look what the fuckers are doing thread. This is the type of shit that kills franchises and genres: instead of giving both games time to shine and perform well in their respective launch windows by giving hardcore fans time to play and buy both you center the marketing around casuals and end up trying to run away from games that have even less to do with your game on the calendar.

We didn't get Titanfall 3 right after 2 because of shenanigans like this. Battlefield is in a sore spot right now by making players choose between it and Call of Duty.

If publishers want their franchises and genres of expertise to thrive, they need to give the hardcore audience who is willing to play and spend time with both a hand in doing it.

Top Bottom