• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battlefield V |OT| EA (doesn't) want YOU!

cryptoadam

Banned
TTD problem for me has kinda gone away lately. I dont know maybe you guys aren't playing it right. I can now actually survive a hit or two most of the times. If someone gets me then its usually because I gave up my position. And remeber health does not auto regenerate, so if you don't heal up you are going to be dieing a lot quicker from fewer bullets.

If they adjust the TTD I won't complain but for me it was a huge issue the first week and since then its feels slightly faster than BF 1, but the entire game is speed up so it kinda matchs.

Game is awesome and grand operations has really grown on me. The Dec 4th patch should make it better with fixing the bomb on the mini map and going back to BF1 frontlines. Finally had my first round of final stand. Its so rare how often it comes up I have only played the mode once. It wasn't bad though I was surprised you could heal/supply in the mode.

I would add a Day 4 with rush and then if its tied go to final stand so the mode can come up more often.

I would suggest to pick up this game. If you are a bit trepid wait for a sale (its already had one) or try it out on EA's service if you can.

God I love playing medic in this game. I dunno if any of you played Return to Castle Wolfenstein's version of Conquest back in the day, but it was a smaller scale version of the same concept. Control multiple flags for victory (no vehicles tho, I don't think). Well, that game was the first I can remember playing a medic, where you could toss medkits at friendlies, and rez them with a syringe. I loved it so much, and very few games since properly recreated the experience. BFV has it.

Yeah, the guns kinda suck, but the Thompson is on the horizon, and I have high hopes for that. Still, how friggin awesome is it when you place like 5th overall as a medic, with only 5 kills, but you're outscoring mofos with 25 kills, because you're a healing machine?

Dope as hell. Love this shit. 👍
Thanks for actually playing the medic class as intended :messenger_ok::messenger_grinning_squinting:

Geki-D

Banned
Yeah, on both consoles I'm getting resistance moving forward and when I'm not getting resistance it's like skating on ice.

I can see Dice expanding on the building in future DLC (rebuilding broken houses) but god damn this game is missing some crucial WW2 era maps

hqdefault.jpg
I'm really not sure how viable Japanese set maps are. I get the feeling the multicultural character options being applied to the Imperial Japanese Army would make DICE a bit nervous.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
I'm really not sure how viable Japanese set maps are. I get the feeling the multicultural character options being applied to the Imperial Japanese Army would make DICE a bit nervous.
Since Dice likes making up stories according to this thread let the Japanese drop a nuke on America. Call it even

JORMBO

Darkness no more
I played mostly Sniper in BF1. Sniping feels really bad in this game. Sniper bullet to the heart - 40dmg. Meanwhile most of my deaths come from Support guys hitting me with a stray bullet from across the map. I don’t see much point in sniping when any automatic weapon can hit from really far away just as good or better.

I started playing Assault more, but it feels like everyone dies way too fast. If someone gets a slight jump on me then I’m already dead. It really doesn’t take much to kill someone.

Enjoying the game, but I haven’t liked these two things.

Last edited:

McHuj

Long range kills are a lot easier as support than recon in BF5. Recon was my favorite prior to this game, but I just can't seem to kill anyone as a sniper. Support is the best all around class so far. MG34 is amazing.

Last edited:

JORMBO

Darkness no more
Long range kills are a lot easier as support than recon in BF5. Recon was my favorite prior to this game, but I just can't seem to kill anyone as a sniper. Support is the best all around class so far. MG34 is amazing.

Glad it’s not just me. I end up with a lot of assists from initially hitting people and having someone else finish them off, but not many kills. Maybe I’ll try Support.

There are no multicultural options for Germany. I assume it would be the same for Japan.

Zewp

I'm enjoying medic. I know some people have said the weapons are underpowered, but I really feel like I'm doing a lot more to help my team as a medic. Last night I was just rezzing people the whole time and the enemy simply couldn't make any progress on the point.

The smoke grenades are awesome too. I find that quite often in a scrape I can fire smoke grenades at enemies and they're forced to advance into an area that they don't know the situation of (also making it easier for my team to shoot them) or they need to fall back until the smoke clears, which buys my team a precious few seconds.

I played mostly Sniper in BF1. Sniping feels really bad in this game. Sniper bullet to the heart - 40dmg. Meanwhile most of my deaths come from Support guys hitting me with a stray bullet from across the map. I don’t see much point in sniping when any automatic weapon can hit from really far away just as good or better.

I started playing Assault more, but it feels like everyone dies way too fast. If someone gets a slight jump on me then I’m already dead. It really doesn’t take much to kill someone.

Enjoying the game, but I haven’t liked these two things.

The reason with snipers is because in BF1 some sniper rifles had 1 shot body kill sweet spots within certain ranges. So if you landed a body shot with a gewehr or whatever within 50-75 meters it was a one shot kill weapon. There are no one shot body kill weapons in BFV.

One thing I have complained about before is that BFV doesn't have numerical damage values in it's weapon selection screen which is something BF1 and BF4 had.

BFV is this weird myriad of BF1 and BF4 gunplay where some of the weapons work in coexistence and some of them just flat out don't and I think the reason for this is the removal of suppression from BF4 which somewhat allowed for automatic and semi-automatic weapons to co-exist somewhat.

cryptoadam

Banned
This game really feels like a sequel to BFBC2.

The range with the guns feels like BFBC2. The destruction as well. So many times things are just getting destroyed all around me. Even the color pallet has a BFBC2 feeling to it.

EDMIX

This game really feels like a sequel to BFBC2.

The range with the guns feels like BFBC2. The destruction as well. So many times things are just getting destroyed all around me. Even the color pallet has a BFBC2 feeling to it.

Same. I love the destruction in this BF. I want the next BF to have way more like being able to completely level a place type destruction, but I don't know if they will go back to that as I read it was based on design reasons as to why the next few BF's limited that. This one has a nice balance.

cryptoadam

Banned
Same. I love the destruction in this BF. I want the next BF to have way more like being able to completely level a place type destruction, but I don't know if they will go back to that as I read it was based on design reasons as to why the next few BF's limited that. This one has a nice balance.

I think the destruction in BC2 was a bit too much since there would be no cover at all. And imagine how much worse the complaining about getting killed from across the map would be.

BF V though the destruction is really stepped up and I have been in a ton of buildings that have been reduced to rubble with not much left standing.

The only thing really missing is heli's and C4 on the UAV's and it would really be a BFBC2 sequel.

EDMIX

I think the destruction in BC2 was a bit too much since there would be no cover at all. And imagine how much worse the complaining about getting killed from across the map would be.

BF V though the destruction is really stepped up and I have been in a ton of buildings that have been reduced to rubble with not much left standing.

The only thing really missing is heli's and C4 on the UAV's and it would really be a BFBC2 sequel.

True. Its why I don't really think we'll really get a BFBC3 or if we do might be in name only. Based on what the team stated it sounded like it was just based on design so asking for BFBC3 might legit just be asking for a different name and wacky SP mode or something.

semi OT, based on how they did this, I'd love one in Vietnam.

Last edited:

dorkimoe

Picked it up for 29 on Xbox. Really enjoying it, and decided to do the 10 hour EA access trial. I want to double dip, need that PC sale

EDMIX

Picked it up for 29 on Xbox. Really enjoying it, and decided to do the 10 hour EA access trial. I want to double dip, need that PC sale

Yea I wasn't sure if I was going to buy this twice, but 30 hours in and the MP is just AMAZING! I'm looking to buy it on PC when a big sale comes. Gunplay feels very close to BF4.

INC

Things that need sorting asap

Geometry needs another pass, the amount of times I get killed coz a random leaves on the ground, or stuck in a random small hole, or the smallest of slopes won't let me run up it

Vaulting needs fixing, it works when it feels like it 80% of the time

1 frame deaths

planes, now I don't think the planes themselves need nerfing, but some things really boggle my mind, why do planes get to spawn 5 seconds before everyone else at the start of a game? Allowing them to instantly bomb everyone? Why are the AA useless? Do little damage and are all inside giant holes so u can't even see the sky? Currently the best way is to use a fully spec'd out mg42

Aim assist is a joke, it's a giant magnet that tracks pretty much for you, it's waaaay to OP

RENTED SERVERS!!!! even with barebones features for now, ability to change players side, kick and passwords, all we need atm, the community is cryin out for these, and it's money EA/DICE

Looks to be great progress being made to improve RTX performance. Useless for me until they get 3440x1440 Ultra w/RTX at 60fps. Until then I am running Ultra wo/RTX at 120fps.

Shai-Tan

Banned
That's cool. That said I wonder if reflections is the best Avenue for this. I was walking my dog in wet weather the other day and it struck me how much this is another instance of technology looking for an application, rather than a solution to an existing problem considering even in the real world reflections are rarely so pronounced. Higher ray casting will actually make it look much more subtle and muted outside of a narrow set of lighting conditions. The glow from fire is cool but I'm looking at a 2013 game in Metro Last Light getting 90% of the aesthetic contribution of reflective water with a basic screen space and other method and even then they are exaggerating reflections considering the lighting in the scene, over other ways deeper water could be presented as not just a slick, reflective surface. I'm guessing the main reason they chose reflections in bfv is lighting and shadows is more performance destroying and the noise from low amount of rays is easier to ignore in reflections

cryptoadam

Banned
True. Its why I don't really think we'll really get a BFBC3 or if we do might be in name only. Based on what the team stated it sounded like it was just based on design so asking for BFBC3 might legit just be asking for a different name and wacky SP mode or something.

semi OT, based on how they did this, I'd love one in Vietnam.

Ya BFBC3 would be in name only. Actually funny how when BFBC2 came out everyone said it wasn't a real BF game because its lower player count and focus on Rush, and now its look back on so fondly. You can't really capture the magic from back then and a lot of it is rose colored glasses.

Vietnam was a great expansion. DLC before DLC LOL. It would be neat if they did another expansion like that. Was well priced as well and good value. Loved blowing up those little hut houses and the flame thrower.

Meccs

I play on PC and just do the auto join instead of manually trying to find a game. Works great.
This works great if you are already in a squad or don't want to join games that are in progress. I don't even look at the server browser anymore unless I want to play a specific map.

Last edited:
I know there is a lot of controversy around this game but I am enjoying it just as much as another Battlefield. My only gripe is that they took away the spot function.

Shai-Tan

Banned
Ya BFBC3 would be in name only. Actually funny how when BFBC2 came out everyone said it wasn't a real BF game because its lower player count and focus on Rush, and now its look back on so fondly. You can't really capture the magic from back then and a lot of it is rose colored glasses.

Vietnam was a great expansion. DLC before DLC LOL. It would be neat if they did another expansion like that. Was well priced as well and good value. Loved blowing up those little hut houses and the flame thrower.

nah, bad company is also about over the top action. For example when a jeep was blown up in BC2 it would flip like 5 times in the air whereas in the mainline they made the vehicle destruction more realistic looking. I think the direction they were trying to shift to in the marketing for this game mimicking fortnite skins etc would have worked a lot better as Bad Company which isn't serious in tone at all and even had some light fantastical alternative history elements in the single player, whereas the mainline series leans on what could be called "faux realism". There are always what you might call "role players" who whine about how the guns look or whether or not they were used in the period a game is set in but when the tone is a little more silly the revisionism fits better, particularly in the single player which just plays out like a bad action movie.

Anyway, I admit I was a fan of rush. Unfortunately after BC2 they didn't seem to understand what made it work or the balance of the game just didn't agree with it. I'm satisfied at this point just having the destruction that was missing from the last few games.

cryptoadam

Banned
nah, bad company is also about over the top action. For example when a jeep was blown up in BC2 it would flip like 5 times in the air whereas in the mainline they made the vehicle destruction more realistic looking. I think the direction they were trying to shift to in the marketing for this game mimicking fortnite skins etc would have worked a lot better as Bad Company which isn't serious in tone at all and even had some light fantastical alternative history elements in the single player, whereas the mainline series leans on what could be called "faux realism". There are always what you might call "role players" who whine about how the guns look or whether or not they were used in the period a game is set in but when the tone is a little more silly the revisionism fits better, particularly in the single player which just plays out like a bad action movie.

Anyway, I admit I was a fan of rush. Unfortunately after BC2 they didn't seem to understand what made it work or the balance of the game just didn't agree with it. I'm satisfied at this point just having the destruction that was missing from the last few games.

There isn't as much over the top in BF V, but its kinda there. When things start exploding around you and debris is falling down you get that feeling a bit. Also the original trailer and cosmetics had that over the top feeling to it but thats what got the huge backlash and DICE seemed to have removed more of the out there cosmetic items like bionic arms.

Rush was an amazing game mode in BFBC2, but mainly because the maps and game were really designed around it (and conquest was more of an after thought). Everything came together at the right time, and back then there wasn't really ever a mode like Rush in a video game. Since BFBC2 DICE has never been able to capture that same feeling. A lot of it IMO has to do with map design, since DICE went back to 64 players and focusing on conquest. But it was still a fun mode in BF3 and BF4.

Operations in BF 1 was actually a great eveolution of Rush and was an amazing mode. Dropping it for GO was IMO a mistake. I am getting into GO and think it will only get better once DICE makes a few tweaks, but Operations is the superior mode. You can even see with a recent reddit poll where the overwhelming majority of players were playing Breakthrough. GO was like 1/5th the amount of players playing it.

This tells me BF V players really wanted an Operations mode like in BF1, but will settle with the closest thing with Breakthrouhg, but also tells me DICE made a mistake by removing Operations.

JORMBO

Darkness no more
There isn't as much over the top in BF V, but its kinda there. When things start exploding around you and debris is falling down you get that feeling a bit. Also the original trailer and cosmetics had that over the top feeling to it but thats what got the huge backlash and DICE seemed to have removed more of the out there cosmetic items like bionic arms.

Rush was an amazing game mode in BFBC2, but mainly because the maps and game were really designed around it (and conquest was more of an after thought). Everything came together at the right time, and back then there wasn't really ever a mode like Rush in a video game. Since BFBC2 DICE has never been able to capture that same feeling. A lot of it IMO has to do with map design, since DICE went back to 64 players and focusing on conquest. But it was still a fun mode in BF3 and BF4.

Operations in BF 1 was actually a great eveolution of Rush and was an amazing mode. Dropping it for GO was IMO a mistake. I am getting into GO and think it will only get better once DICE makes a few tweaks, but Operations is the superior mode. You can even see with a recent reddit poll where the overwhelming majority of players were playing Breakthrough. GO was like 1/5th the amount of players playing it.

This tells me BF V players really wanted an Operations mode like in BF1, but will settle with the closest thing with Breakthrouhg, but also tells me DICE made a mistake by removing Operations.

Rush in Bad Company 2 was the most fun I have had in a BF game. I agree that hasn’t ever really been captured since.

Also agree with BF1 Operations. That was mostly all I played so I was surprised and disappointed to load up BFV and see it not there. I just assumed it would be there again since people seemed to really like it.

Last edited:

cryptoadam

Banned
Rush in Bad Company 2 was the most fun I have had in a BF game. I agree that hasn’t ever really been captured since.

Also agree with BF1 Operations. That was mostly all I played so I was surprised and disappointed to load up BFV and see it not there. I just assumed it would be there again since people seemed to really like it.

Rush was the mode that turned me into a BF fan. So many hours back then playing Rush mode and all the great maps. Who could forget the Wookies, C4 on the UAV or my favourite was destroying all the trees on Arica Harbor to get rid of cover for the attackers LOL. Also I don't know if there was anything more satisfying then collapsing a house on a squad camping there.

Breakthrouhg is Operations light but its not the same. I see what DICE was going for with GO, but the execution failed. Operations just felt so grand, with mulitple sectors opening up each providing a different type of terrain and gameplay. I really miss that music que and Wilhelm scream when you took a sector. Even the little opening cutscene added just enough of a "story" and cinematic feel to Operations mode that is missing in GO. All we get now is some text at the start of each day.

DICE should add batallions into Breakthrough. So if you fail as an attacker you could get another 1 or 2 batallions to have another chance. That would bring the mode closer to Operations. I am curious what Rush will be like when we get the second update but am confused if its permanent or only going to be around for a limited time.

IISANDERII

I loved Operations in BF1, still playing it actually nearly every day!

There seems to be some divide between players who love the old BF with Conquest etc and the players who love BF1 with things like Operations.

As somebody who’s on the fence about jumping into BFV, it’s really hard to figure out if BFV is aiming for the days of old, days of new or something in between. There’s a saying “if you try to please everyone, you’ll end up pleasing no one.” No idea if that applies to BFV:messenger_grinning_sweat:

I’m on the fence because I’m worried about the state it’s in and if the issues can be addressed timely. Even after all this time, a couple of super frustrating gameplay elements remain in BF1. On the technical side, it’s pretty polished while BFV has a long way to go it seems.

I know there is a lot of controversy around this game but I am enjoying it just as much as another Battlefield. My only gripe is that they took away the spot function.
Yeah I love spotting because it’s a way to communicate with your team without having to deal with the myriad of communication hurdles of a video game :lollipop_smiling_face_eyes:

McHuj

Looks to be great progress being made to improve RTX performance. Useless for me until they get 3440x1440 Ultra w/RTX at 60fps. Until then I am running Ultra wo/RTX at 120fps.

I honestly don't expect to see that kind of performance until the engine has been reworked from the ground up for RTX (so maybe next year). To me these early RTX games are very analogous to console launch titles. It takes a while for developers to learn how to utilize the hardware effectively.

cryptoadam

Banned
I loved Operations in BF1, still playing it actually nearly every day!

There seems to be some divide between players who love the old BF with Conquest etc and the players who love BF1 with things like Operations.

As somebody who’s on the fence about jumping into BFV, it’s really hard to figure out if BFV is aiming for the days of old, days of new or something in between. There’s a saying “if you try to please everyone, you’ll end up pleasing no one.” No idea if that applies to BFV:messenger_grinning_sweat:

I’m on the fence because I’m worried about the state it’s in and if the issues can be addressed timely. Even after all this time, a couple of super frustrating gameplay elements remain in BF1. On the technical side, it’s pretty polished while BFV has a long way to go it seems.

I actually do not like conquest. To much zerging for my taste. I perfer the more linear type objective modes like Rush/Operations and even something like Frontlines now and then.

Jump in on BFV, you won't regret it. I will say if you are worried about the price, wait a bit it will eventually drop. In 6 months this game will be fully cooked, but its still a lot of fun and playable now. Its just missing a few modes and tweaks. And compared to BF1 and BF 4 launch the game is in a much more completed state. Both those games launched with incredible amount of bugs and netcode issues.

The one thing with DICE is they listen to feedback and apply fixes. BF1 today is so different from when it launched. I was playing operations up until the BF V launch, but I need my new BF fix so I couldn't hold off on picking it up.

BF V might need some work, but like I said above compared to BF 1 launch it might as well be like comparing pre alpha to a game that went Gold LOL.

manfestival

I actually do not like conquest. To much zerging for my taste. I perfer the more linear type objective modes like Rush/Operations and even something like Frontlines now and then.

Jump in on BFV, you won't regret it. I will say if you are worried about the price, wait a bit it will eventually drop. In 6 months this game will be fully cooked, but its still a lot of fun and playable now. Its just missing a few modes and tweaks. And compared to BF1 and BF 4 launch the game is in a much more completed state. Both those games launched with incredible amount of bugs and netcode issues.

The one thing with DICE is they listen to feedback and apply fixes. BF1 today is so different from when it launched. I was playing operations up until the BF V launch, but I need my new BF fix so I couldn't hold off on picking it up.

BF V might need some work, but like I said above compared to BF 1 launch it might as well be like comparing pre alpha to a game that went Gold LOL.
What exactly is so different from BF1 launch to current aside from the amount of content? What are you specifically referring too. The whole of the game seems rather unchanged to my eyes.

cryptoadam

Banned
What exactly is so different from BF1 launch to current aside from the amount of content? What are you specifically referring too. The whole of the game seems rather unchanged to my eyes.

BF1 had a lot of bugs and issues when it launched. It was better than BF 4 which was almost unplayable at launch, but it was a slight step up. I am pretty sure I remember a week straight of rubber banding in MP when BF 1 launched.

Its DICE, BF V is actually probably the best lauched game they have released so far as far as bugs/netcode issues go. Its expected that a BF launch is going to be rocky, but BF V outside of the bomb bug (which I have seen like once in all my play time) has been smooth. No rubber banding, no match making or server issues, and minimal bugs.

Croatoan

They/Them A-10 Warthog
This game has killed any desire for me and my squad buddies to play blackout (and this game has no BR!). BFV shooting >>>>>>>> BO4 shooting. Just hope tomorrows patch fixes the major issues and they get that BR out as a beta sooner than later.

Last edited:

A.Romero

While Cyptoadam replies:

Maps, weapons, vehicles and mechanics.

Some differences off the top of my head:

- No Behemots / Zeppelin / Armored Train
- Different mechanics for reviving (your squad mates can revive), healing (no auto healing) and resupplying ammo (you really need to do it know, specially if you are attempting to take down a tank)
- Games are more dynamic and way shorter. I haven't spent a lot of time running to get into the action like on some occasions in previous installments
- Only one grenade (at least so far) and doesn't seem to be resupplied until dead
- Fixed weapons actually do a lot of damage
- No microtransactions (so far)
- More vehicle variety (I don't have all expansions for BF1 so this could be not true)
- No special roles (like flamethrower)
- Operations are bit more varied and feel more connected
- Cosmetic changes (dress your soldier however you want)
- Changed spotting to something a bit more realistic
- No gas grenades
- No gas masks
- No flares (so far, I haven't played Sniper that long so it could be an unlock)

Edit: Damn you cryptoadam!

Last edited:

manfestival

While Cyptoadam replies:

Maps, weapons, vehicles and mechanics.

Some differences off the top of my head:

- No Behemots / Zeppelin / Armored Train
- Different mechanics for reviving (your squad mates can revive), healing (no auto healing) and resupplying ammo (you really need to do it know, specially if you are attempting to take down a tank)
- Games are more dynamic and way shorter. I haven't spent a lot of time running to get into the action like on some occasions in previous installments
- Only one grenade (at least so far) and doesn't seem to be resupplied until dead
- Fixed weapons actually do a lot of damage
- No microtransactions (so far)
- More vehicle variety (I don't have all expansions for BF1 so this could be not true)
- No special roles (like flamethrower)
- Operations are bit more varied and feel more connected
- Cosmetic changes (dress your soldier however you want)
- Changed spotting to something a bit more realistic
- No gas grenades
- No gas masks
- No flares (so far, I haven't played Sniper that long so it could be an unlock)

Edit: Damn you cryptoadam!
Wasnt asking for a comparison of 1 vs 5. The differences are obvious. I was asking bf1 launch to current state.

Meccs

Battlefield V Tides of War Chapter 1: Overture Gameplay Sneak Peek

Tides of War RELEASE DELAYED!

Last edited:

cryptoadam

Banned
A big change that no one really talks about is the ability to sprint while crouched. Makes moving along the map so much faster.

A.Romero A.Romero you said you didn't run around without much action and I think its because this game seems to move faster than older BF's, especially with the above ability to run and crouch. You can stay a bit hidden/cover while still keeping your movement speed up.

cryptoadam

Banned
This game has killed any desire for me and my squad buddies to play blackout (and this game has no BR!). BFV shooting >>>>>>>> BO4 shooting. Just hope tomorrows patch fixes the major issues and they get that BR out as a beta sooner than later.

Have you played final stand yet?

I think the BR mode is going to be interesting. I hope they incorporate squad play/gadgents and destruction to give BR a BF twist. I played Fortnite and didn't get the whole BR thing, so lets see if DICE can catch my attention.

And on Final Stand, I have played it 1 time so far so it doesn't come up often enough in GO, DICE needs to look into fixing that on one of their patches.

Top Bottom