• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BrazilGAF |OT| of Samba, Carnaval... and letting GAF have a sample of it all!

CorvoSol

She was in hospital because of cancer ...

Also .. what is the best translation to "gracinha" in english ?

Kinda depends. Sometimes my friends will sneer and faux laugh at a bad joke and go "gracinha" which I roughly take to mean "haha, funny" but it could also be "cute". Literally though it's what, little grace? I've heard it used in such a way as to just mean "little (as in cute) nice thing."

Brazil GAF, this is the reason I first fell in love with you:Have you been to Bahia, Donald? I will some day, Ze, I will some day.

Presently my friend's down in Brasilia. I only spent a few hours in the airport there, so I dunno what it's like. Is it very different from Goiania?

vdlow

Poor Hebe. I thought her health was good, since this week she announced her return to SBT. But now her doctor says that she was really bad on this week. A big loss to brazilian TV.

DD

Kinda depends. Sometimes my friends will sneer and faux laugh at a bad joke and go "gracinha" which I roughly take to mean "haha, funny" but it could also be "cute". Literally though it's what, little grace? I've heard it used in such a way as to just mean "little (as in cute) nice thing."

Brazil GAF, this is the reason I first fell in love with you:Have you been to Bahia, Donald? I will some day, Ze, I will some day.

Presently my friend's down in Brasilia. I only spent a few hours in the airport there, so I dunno what it's like. Is it very different from Goiania?

How about "cutie"? =)

Platy

People say that brasilia is a boring and dusty city. Low relative humidity and lots of winds.

Bahia is an awesome place !
My parents lived almost 10 years there and in VERY beautiful small city.

Here is the streetview of one of the main commercial streets

How about "cutie"? =)

That fits

edit :
Is Brazil a good place to go study abroad? I don't know where I want to go lol. People like Americans over there?

It has some awesome universities ... but it really depends on what area do you want.

People like foreign people here ... but there are not much people that can speak and understand speaked english... so come here not knowing ANYTHING about portuguese is not exactly a good choice.

CorvoSol

Is Brazil a good place to go study abroad? I don't know where I want to go lol. People like Americans over there?

I was treated very well most of the time in Brazil. It's a matter of knowing which streets not to walk down, though, as I did get mugged once.

Granted I spoke(learned) the language and was there in the capacity of a minister, so I was pretty well received.

Platy

That Dredd box office made me think about some stuff ...

I really wanted to see Dredd in the theaters ... but here in my city the only non dubbed copies are the 3D ones ...

So BrazilGaf ... what do you guys think about the increase of dubbed copies in theaters ?

I personaly hate then with a passion ... don't have any problem to have BOTH, but when you don't have the choice to see any movie with subtitles it is just .. wrong =/

It is less worst with animated movies, but still sux.
And I say this to any movie....whatever the original language is.

CorvoSol

I really wanted to see Dredd in the theaters ... but here in my city the only non dubbed copies are the 3D ones ...

So BrazilGaf ... what do you guys think about the increase of dubbed copies in theaters ?

I personaly hate then with a passion ... don't have any problem to have BOTH, but when you don't have the choice to see any movie with subtitles it is just .. wrong =/

I honestly prefer things that are subbed. Dubbed just always feels off. Unless it's dubbed Jackie Chan movies, and then it's hilarious.

Sblargh

Banned
It really sucks when there is no other option. But then again, the cinemarks usually have such a bad selection of movies. I see myself being a hipster and travelling all the way to the Rua Agusuta (I'm from Santo André, an hour and half away from São Paulo) just to catch a movie that isn't the bottom of the mainstrem barrel.

Also, how I didn't know about this thread? :,(

I'll say it's a little weird to write in english in a topic where I expect at least the non-lurkers to know portuguese, I get lazy and thinking "why am I bothering to translate this?"

FACE

Banned

Increase in the amount of dubbed copies and 3d is why I usually wait for home releases.

Brazil-GAF, I am interviewing for a job as a translator in a week or two, and I need the chance to practice my language skills. Anybody want to PM me back and forth in Portuguese? I need the practice.

I know this is over a month old, but you can PM me if you still need to.

Ezalc

I know this feel. I wanted to watch Dredd this past weekend and like two movie theaters were showing it at night on a friday. It boggled my mind like goddamn, friday night and you guys aren't showing this? What the fuck? Anyways, I never watch dubbed in Portuguese. It makes me feel like I'm being a bit of a snob sometimes since I just think what's the point when I could just perfectly enjoy the original language without the use of subtitles, but yeah unless the movie was made in Brazil then I stick to subbed.

red13th

I refuse to watch dubbed movies and 3D movies. I watched Ted yesterday (good one) and thankfully they showed it subtitled. I rarely go to the movies lately though.

Sblargh

Banned
I refuse to watch dubbed movies and 3D movies. I watched Ted yesterday (good one) and thankfully they showed it subtitled. I rarely go to the movies lately though.

After what happened, theaters are probably doing this to keeps kids and dumb parents out of the theater on this one. :p

Ezalc

After what happened, theaters are probably doing this to keeps kids and dumb parents out of the theater on this one. :p

Oh man, I've been talking about the whole TED incident with my friends and even my parents. So terrible hahaha.

Sblargh

Banned
I'll tell you this. I been watching The Mighy Avengers on Netflix and even with the carioca accent of the dubbers (scientifically the worst accent of the universe <- São Paulo common sense), it is still leagues better than the original in english.

As far as saturday morning cartoon dubbing goes, Brazil > USA.

Sblargh

Banned
Anybody else drafted into working on the elections? I'm going into my 8th year of spending the entire day helping drunk people punch a number found on whatever piece of paper found on the street.

It's not that bad. Just boring as hell.

Platy

Saw this on facebook

j9szf.jpg

translation : Women, if you want to live in a less sexist society, stop playing on easy

Don't know whatever to laugh or cry

Anybody else drafted into working on the elections? I'm going into my 8th year of spending the entire day helping drunk people punch a number found on whatever piece of paper found on the street.

It's not that bad. Just boring as hell.

May god have mercy on your soul

You linked to a Veja subscription....

Sblargh

Banned

Yeah, well, did you see this shit?

http://www.implicante.org/blog/o-racismo-petista-contra-joaquim-barbosa-no-twitter/

Now, I usually don't like this blog, but it did a good job of catching the fringe left acting out.

It was inevitable that this trial would shameful to whatever party that came on the bottom. What people didn't expect was that one of the left-leaning judges (appointed by Lula himself) would condemn people of "his own" party (which is a ridicule notion, judges don't have parties. It is funny to see that the US struggle with this exact same problem).

Honestly, I expected Genoino and Dirceu to be absolved (specially Dirceu since I didn't felt there was enough evidence against him) and people irrationally calling "pizza" without even seeing what has happened, but the contrary happened and we have this bizarre situation where PT is revolted against Barboza -- some even to the point of racism as linked. And they still can be absolved, by the way, there are a lot of votes left, people are pissed that "their" judge did what a judge does and voted one way or another in a controversial issue.

And obviously, if petistas are throwing a tantrum, then Veja will feast on their tears as if a supreme court judge fought against an unjust system armed with nothing but his courage in face of totalitarism, which is also absurd because he is a fucking judge on the supreme court, he is the system.

This situation kind of pisses me a lot, I know it is to be expected, but people can't follow a trial without treating it like a soccer match. It's people on one side screaming "golpe de estado" to a fair and legal trial like real people didn't suffer a very real dictatorship one generation ago and on the other side people in a mindless rage wanting the blood of every democratically elected politician as a revolt against whatever the hell they are pissed about this week.

A fair, just and well comunicated mensalão trial would be a very good thing for this country, whatever the outcome; I really wish it would have come to that.

dokish

Banned
For any foreigners wanting to spend some time in Brazil, I live in Belo Horizonte and my house is open to welcome people who want to spend some days here. I hosted several people from Germany. :)

Anyone knows Couch Surfing? Is a really good website that I think everyone should check it out.

If anyone is interested, PM.

Fry

On the dubbing subject:

Why does AXN airs LOST, while in high definition, DUBBED? WITHOUT SAP OPTION?

gggggggghrrrrr

For any foreigners wanting to spend some time in Brazil, I live in Belo Horizonte and my house is open to welcome people who want to spend some days here. I hosted several people from Germany. :)

Anyone knows Couch Surfing? Is a really good website that I think everyone should check it out.

If anyone is interested, PM.

If I ever get the chance to go to Brasil, I'd definitely consider couchsurfing.

It's great to get the touristy Hotel experience.. but just to hang around with a local is great.

Visceir

Yeah, would love to visit too but the europe - brazil flight tickets are quite expensive. I'm sure there are some discounts happening from time to time but I have no clue how to find them :(

Sblargh

Banned
Considering how dirty cheap it is to stay here and have a good time, plane tickets are indeed the great barrier.

Sblargh

Banned
Like a guy I know said:

Guide to São Paulo elections:
Who absolutely can't win: Russomano.
What the alternatives? Serra and Haddas.
Well, we can't vote Serra, can we?
Therefore...

Sblargh

Banned
Dia de celebrar a festa da democracia brasileira, GAF!
Have a good day, vote wisely and be nice to the "mesários", they hate being there even more than you do!

Fivefold

Banned
Once again proving Brasília's supremacy, we don't get to waste our time voting today.

If you're on mesário duty suck it haha
jk and hey, at least you guys get a day off from it

Platy

jdavid459

Man, it looks like I can't study abroad in Brazil after all. Was planning on going this spring to Florianopolis, Brazil to study economics but I guess the semesters there start late feb and go until the end of july? Runs into summer internship plans I had.

It's too bad, Brazil looks awesome. I don't know the language at all but I pick things up quick. What I get from the things I see online is that Brazil is laid back, has tons of beaches, and babes everywhere + strong economy. Could be making all this up...

Looks like I'll be going to Barcelona. Maybe visit Brazil during Winter Break before I go to europe.

Top Bottom