• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BrazilGAF |OT| of Samba, Carnaval... and letting GAF have a sample of it all!

LuuKyK

Public defender, state of São Paulo.
I'm so happy!

Holy shit man! Congrats! This is amazing, and is what I'm looking forward to after I finish my course. I'm halfway through it yet though. It's such an incredible job/career imo.

Was it hard? How much did you prepare yourself?

red13th

Studying for concursos, well I sorta started in 2010 but starting May/June last year I've been studying every day including weekends, around 3 hours/day on weekdays since I work full time and about 8 hours on weekends.

Platy

That "kit-homophobia" discussion is making me die a little inside every time.

Saying that it turns people gay is like saying that a "kit-racismo" turns people black.

Also, the part that people most go against is the bisexuality one ... where it says that your chances increases when you like both genders.
Well ... it is a FACT ! =P
The percents are obviously wrong (they only work if EVERYONE is 100% bisexual) but ... still =P

Sblargh

Banned

Saying that it turns people gay is like saying that a "kit-racismo" turns people black.

Also, the part that people most go against is the bisexuality one ... where it says that your chances increases when you like both genders.
The percents are obviously wrong (they only work if EVERYONE is 100% bisexual) but ... still =P

Oh yeah, and it came from the mouth of our president. You know our female left-wing president from the party that fights for gay rights? Yeah, she is one who thinks this can turn people gay.

red13th

It tells a lot about the country when OPPOSING anti-discrimination policies is considered a quality. Well it's not like there was any doubt this place is fucked up.

mantidor

I didn't see that discussion mentioned in the article, is my Portuguese really that bad? D:

Sblargh

Banned
I didn't see that discussion mentioned in the article, is my Portuguese really that bad? D:

"O principal objetivo é blindar o petista de ataques do pastor Silas Malafaia, que lidera a campanha contra o chamado "kit gay" do Ministério da Educação."

"The main goal is to protect the 'petista' from attacks from pastor Silas Malafaia (even his name is evil), who is the leader of a campaign against the so-called 'gay kit' from the Ministry of Education".

The gay kit are a bunch of measures designed to teach people to see homosexuality as something common. That, of course, is preposterous to the Priests of Hate for whom Love is the Enemy and should be squashed In The Sacred Name of-- uhum... sorry.

Anyway, one of the stuff in the kit was a video that said that bissexuality not only is not bad, but increases your chance at finding love by a whooping 50%, which as Platy said, doesn't make sense, but then the entire project got scraped while they could, you know, fix this one video. And not only the project is dead, it became a kind of symbol of how the gay agenda wants to indocrinate our childre instead of the homophobic agenda that say much worse stuff and indeed do indocrinate our children.

CorvoSol

Brazil-GAF what is the most polite way to tell a group of Brazilians that you are honored that they talked you up to a girl and tried to hook you up with her, but are not interested in the slightest? And also what is the politest way to make that clear to the girl?

She seems like a nice young woman, but I mean, SHE LIVES ON THE OTHER SIDE OF THE PLANET. When I commented this, it . . . did not have the impact I had hoped. It doesn't help that a lot of my colleagues have gone back for young women and all. I'm not interested, but I don't want to insult the man who presented her, because he's a close friend, and I don't want to insult the young woman, because I barely know her and I'd hate not to live up to the good things said about me by my friend.

Ezalc

Brazil-GAF what is the most polite way to tell a group of Brazilians that you are honored that they talked you up to a girl and tried to hook you up with her, but are not interested in the slightest? And also what is the politest way to make that clear to the girl?

She seems like a nice young woman, but I mean, SHE LIVES ON THE OTHER SIDE OF THE PLANET. When I commented this, it . . . did not have the impact I had hoped. It doesn't help that a lot of my colleagues have gone back for young women and all. I'm not interested, but I don't want to insult the man who presented her, because he's a close friend, and I don't want to insult the young woman, because I barely know her and I'd hate not to live up to the good things said about me by my friend.

If he's a close friend then just talk normally to him, I'm sure he'll understand. As for the young girl, is the fact that she lives far away the only reason for your disinterest?

mantidor

"O principal objetivo é blindar o petista de ataques do pastor Silas Malafaia, que lidera a campanha contra o chamado "kit gay" do Ministério da Educação."

"The main goal is to protect the 'petista' from attacks from pastor Silas Malafaia (even his name is evil), who is the leader of a campaign against the so-called 'gay kit' from the Ministry of Education".

The gay kit are a bunch of measures designed to teach people to see homosexuality as something common. That, of course, is preposterous to the Priests of Hate for whom Love is the Enemy and should be squashed In The Sacred Name of-- uhum... sorry.

Anyway, one of the stuff in the kit was a video that said that bissexuality not only is not bad, but increases your chance at finding love by a whooping 50%, which as Platy said, doesn't make sense, but then the entire project got scraped while they could, you know, fix this one video. And not only the project is dead, it became a kind of symbol of how the gay agenda wants to indocrinate our childre instead of the homophobic agenda that say much worse stuff and indeed do indocrinate our children.

Oh ok I got it. The article was more of a follow up.

It is really disturbing the political class feeling the need to appease a religious group, specially one that isn't the majority, evangelicals scarce like no other group.

How is homophobia really in Brazil? So for my experience regarding tolerance has been very positive however I'm a gringo living in Rio who barely leaves zona sul.

Sblargh

Banned
From my experience, people are tolerant, if disrespectful, I always thought our kind of bigotry was more on the side of cruel mockery and bullying and less on the side of actual hate, physical violence and this kind of paranoia that agendas are going on; which is why this debacle feels... hum... really foreign to me.

But yeah, like, brazillians' prejudices are less outward and hateful and more on the side of silently declining participation on social circles while joking behind closed doors.

Platy

Yeah ... silently.

Besides the fact that brazil has by far the biggest death of transgendered people on earth by a HUGE margin, gay people are beated in São Paulo's biggest avenue, a transgender politician received death threats if she starts working, a dad and son are beat up because they looked like gay people, a politician that has been elected for YEARS distribute anti-gay papers, there hasn't been a single male homosexual kiss on brazilian television and barely ANY gay couple or any representation, Brazil still don't acept gay marriage .... just from the top of my mind

If you have money, you hide in your gueto

If you don't, you are fucked up =P

SPECIALY considering the increase of highly religious people

The bissexuality part is mentioned here

g1ejc.png

Sblargh

Banned
But these are episodes that, again, seem really foreign to me. This increase in violence lately, this increase in hateful religious people; I may be wrong, sure, but it seems to that this is recent... artificial.

Platy

But these are episodes that, again, seem really foreign to me. This increase in violence lately, this increase in hateful religious people; I may be wrong, sure, but it seems to that this is recent... artificial.

It is recent because before people were invisible, wich is worst than being hated.

São Paulo Gay parade was created only 15 years ago with 2 thousand people on their first year and now they are at 3 million being the biggest gay parade in the WORLD.

You don't need a gay parade in countries that don't have homophobia

mantidor

Well Evangelicals are foreign, it shocked me to learn catholics are only 60%, in my home country Colombia they are raising in number but nowhere near at that level, and they are actually hated by many. Over here every other person you meet is of one of these evangelical or Christian churches.

Ezalc

I just met Giovanna Ewbank and Fernanda Paes Leme.

I could just die.

You need to stop meeting these hot ass models, or rather you should keep meeting them and then introduce me. Because while I probably won't do anything, at least I can say that I've met some hot ass models.

vdlow

Giovanna is so beautiful. I think I couldn't meet her without having all sorts of dirt thoughts at the same time. lol

Sblargh

Banned
It is recent because before people were invisible, wich is worst than being hated.

São Paulo Gay parade was created only 15 years ago with 2 thousand people on their first year and now they are at 3 million being the biggest gay parade in the WORLD.

You don't need a gay parade in countries that don't have homophobia

Well, kind of, invisible they are not being killed. I am in no way (NO WAY) saying this is a good thing, it is still bigotry and it still creates all kinds of problems, but, going back to my original post on the subject, this is the kind of bigotry that seems more like "our" kind of bigotry; one that we have, obviously, to address, which is the focus of the gay kit by the way, it isn't "don't kill these people", it is "recognize them as normal human beings who deserve to be well treated". My point is not that we don't have homophobia, but that violence is not something we normally do, you can't interpret that as me saying that we don't have the issue. I'm not even saying we don't have violence, what I'm saying is that it doesn't seem culturally consistent.

(also, how is having 3 million people to show up to what basically is a big party filled with gay people a sign of how bad things are? These are not 3 million people revolted that bigotry is present [tho maybe it should be])

Platy

Well, kind of, invisible they are not being killed. I am in no way (NO WAY) saying this is a good thing, it is still bigotry and it still creates all kinds of problems, but, going back to my original post on the subject, this is the kind of bigotry that seems more like "our" kind of bigotry; one that we have, obviously, to address, which is the focus of the gay kit by the way, it isn't "don't kill these people", it is "recognize them as normal human beings who deserve to be well treated". My point is not that we don't have homophobia, but that violence is not something we normally do, you can't interpret that as me saying that we don't have the issue. I'm not even saying we don't have violence, what I'm saying is that it doesn't seem culturally consistent.

(also, how is having 3 million people to show up to what basically is a big party filled with gay people a sign of how bad things are? These are not 3 million people revolted that bigotry is present [tho maybe it should be])

No. If they are invisible their killings is not newsworth.
How many transgendered (specialy low class "travestis") do you see in the news each month ?
Considering the data I linked you should see around 30 news about transgender killings EACH MONTH

Brazil has a mix of people who think they belong to switzerland and people who think they belong to the middle ages.
People who think they belong to switzerland are the ones you are saying and i'm talking about the rest =P

These ARE 3 million people revoled that bigotry is present.
They are only partying because it is the only place they CAN party and also, there are also a GOOD amount of revolt and protests.... but do you think major tv stations will show a 3 million protest "for a secular state" or gay eople being promiscuous ? =P

mantidor

Brazil has a mix of people who think they belong to switzerland and people who think they belong to the middle ages.

No offense but is one of the best descriptions of brazilians I've read! it applies to more than just gay issues.

It is pretty interesting how the kind of inequality that led to so much conflict in the rest of Latinamerica doesn't really apply for Brazil, I'm still trying to understand why. You had some conflicts, but they pale compared to what is happening in my home country Colombia, or Mexico, or Central America, or Chile or Argentina, and to be honest culturally we are not that different, generally speaking, except for that accepted inequality, is like it is ok for you people.

I'm starting to believe the real problem is not inequality, although that should definitely be addressed. But somehow you guys make it work while the rest of Latinamerica doesn't.

Sblargh

Banned
So Umbanda is Switzerland?

What I'm trying to say is that country is more complex than the rich vs poor, oppressed vs opressors game that people paint when they want to lobby for whatever. This is a country where you either accept shades and differences or the country itself doesn't exist. I'm not trying to deny the problems and the violence, I'm saying that's not who we are. Binary constructions, in general, are artificial here.

Edit: And the good news is that courting conservatism is what is making Serra lose the election. So hating too much makes you lose an election. Yay us!

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
So Umbanda is Switzerland?

What I'm trying to say is that country is more complex than the rich vs poor, oppressed vs opressors game that people paint when they want to lobby for whatever. This is a country where you either accept shades and differences or the country itself doesn't exist. I'm not trying to deny the problems and the violence, I'm saying that's not who we are. Binary constructions, in general, are artificial here.

Edit: And the good news is that courting conservatism is what is making Serra lose the election. So hating too much makes you lose an election. Yay us!

I wouldn't mind Serra losing if Haddad wasn't the one winning.

Sblargh

Banned
I wouldn't mind Serra losing if Haddad wasn't the one winning.

But that's how this election is going. First people voted the-one-who-is-not-Russomano and now people are voting the-one-who-is-not-Serra. Haddad was lucky to not be both. (poor Soninha!)

LuuKyK

The OP is in serious need of improvement. I'm volunteering to help.

Please do man! Any help is welcome, I just don't have much time to elaborate things for the OP. Send me a PM with whatever you (and this is the same for anyone else really) think is missing and I will add it asap. :)

I interviewed them and a couple of other Global actors (like Bruno Gagliasso) at a Samsung event.

They're both drop dead gorgeous.

Holy shit. Ewbank is a goddess on earth, I would probably melt if I saw her too.

Top Bottom