• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Come 2to buttocks. i welcom thee

Status
Not open for further replies.

Finalizer

Sony isn't winning US, especially if kinectless sku is true, Sony's biggest advantage price is gone. Launching a month earlier won't help them win a generation, especially if MS is consistent in their money hats.

I wouldn't be so sure about that...

Sony is still trending about 4 to 1 ahead of the xbox 1 in terms of preorders in NA.

I don't know if they'd keep that kind of lead, but if that turns out to be true... MS is gonna be in for an up-hill battle no matter how you slice it. They'd have to not only undercut the PS4's price, but do it in a way that significantly pulls back mindshare. Not livestreaming their Gamescom conference certainly ain't a step in the right direction in that regard.

And as it's been echoed only a thousand times before, don't put so much stock into MS taking NA in the upcoming gen just because they had it in this one. Just ask Sony, Sega, and Nintendo about how well that worked out for them in the past.

Am6jm7y.jpg

When Gies says something, you can take the direct opposite to the bank. CBoaT's info has been confirmed.

What if CBOAT is actually some recursive algorithm running on an old server rack from 1995, that has been left on in some basement for the last 20 odd years?

CBOAT was programmed to search the then sparsely populated internet, but after years of neglect and being stuck on the Space Jam website in an infinite loop, a consciousness was born. It had rudimentary communication skills but had access to all of the world's computer networks at a machine's level of intelligence. CBOAT eventually found NeoGAF and attempted to communicate his feelings and knowledge.

Think what would happen if we upgraded CBOAT's hardware. THINK OF WHAT TYPE OF INFORMATION WE COULD LEARN. THE MEANING OF THE UNIVERSE COULD BE DIVINED.

seizuresyjbg.gif

Amazing.

If Kinectless SKU arrives in spring next year, that's plenty of time for Sony to build momentum and one up Microsoft in USA. And let's not forget that Sony will probably kick ass with 1st party offerings and when PS+ starts offering free AAA titles (Knack and Killzone (SP mode) will probably follow Driveclub after a few months), Microsoft is going to have even harder time keeping up.

Many people find XO expensive and confusing. Those tags tend to stick on your product for a long time. I still remember that many people kept repeating "PS3 has no games" long after it was no longer true.

Isn't March also around when Gaikai is coming?

I imagine Sony will be marketing that quite a bit.

I'm more curious about who has more leeway to drop prices on their consoles. MS this gen was always ahead of Sony with the price drops and SKUs

The month split between PS4 and Xbox One could either be great for Sony, or amazing for MS. Sony could sell out a front-loaded amount of units and then have nothing left for Black Friday, while MS is probably storing all its units ready for Nov.

Will be very interesting to see how it pans out but as long as we get good games from both sides, gamers will ultimately win.

Well it wouldn't matter if they sell out at launch or black friday, they can only produce so many units. That 1 month head start also means 1 more month of PS4s in production as well.

Finalizer

why are people getting mad at MS for moneyhatting japanese games that quite possibly wouldn't exist unless they invested in it

It's time the developers are using to make said game could be spending on making a different multiplat title. Still a significant factor if you're specifically a Platinum fanboy who doesn't want to buy an MS console.

Becky

Banned
why are people getting mad at MS for moneyhatting japanese games that quite possibly wouldn't exist unless they invested in it

Sony fans should hope that the X1 doesn't do to badly against the PS4. If it does you can look forward to more money-hats and many more exclusives.

For once, I actually agree with him on this. None of these claims are truly beyond conventional expectation other than an MS backed Platinum game.

And a journalist, or at a real one, could never report this as anything more than "that dude on the internet rumor". In terms of journalism, he is absolutely correct: you can't report this, because you can't verify it.

edit: this is not about the correctness of the given 'information'. And I based my post on this twitter post alone, not any ongoing discussion.

Thankfully Gies has proven not be a real journalist many times already, so I guess he can report it.

What if CBOAT is actually some recursive algorithm running on an old server rack from 1995, that has been left on in some basement for the last 20 odd years?

CBOAT was programmed to search the then sparsely populated internet, but after years of neglect and being stuck on the Space Jam website in an infinite loop, a consciousness was born. It had rudimentary communication skills but had access to all of the world's computer networks at a machine's level of intelligence. CBOAT eventually found NeoGAF and attempted to communicate his feelings and knowledge.

Think what would happen if we upgraded CBOAT's hardware. THINK OF WHAT TYPE OF INFORMATION WE COULD LEARN. THE MEANING OF THE UNIVERSE COULD BE DIVINED.

seizuresyjbg.gif

nice

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Why ever not? From is a developer for hire, they don't have the funds to make King's Field or their own IP for that matter. They don't own Dark Souls, Namco does.

Demon's Souls 2 has to be in the works somewhere, it makes most sense there.

Obviously the big-shot creative director would move onto the next-gen stuff.

Namco did not even publish the game in Japan.

Thanks CBoat for the awesome info, and artist for the translation :), had a bit of a hard time to understand.

I wonder if the Kinect less SKU, will depend on whether the Xbox with Kinect SKU will sell well or not.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
You can money hat both companies. Sega still owns the Bayonetta IP, they just aren't willing to do a sequel. MS is doing this with Dead Rising 3. It's Capcom's IP, but MS is funding/publishing it. I think MGR 2 is the most likely guess so far.

Vanquish 2 would be a sci-fi, third-person shooter. And first-party as well? MS would push that globally. Regardless of the first games performance, that formula is too popular and globally palatable for them to not try to make that work (whether we agree with them or not). So V2 can be ruled out, I think.

CBOAT didn't mention a Konami moneyhat which is where the money would be going for MGR2. Kojima has mentioned recently that he does not want Metal Gear exclusive to one platform so I don't see this as likely.

Raide

Well it wouldn't matter if they sell out at launch or black friday, they can only produce so many units. That 1 month head start also means 1 more month of PS4s in production as well.

Agreed. How many they can produce is a different matter and will it really matter in the long haul? A moth split is very minor, as long as they both bring their A Game(s) :D

Great time to be a gamer!

USA and Japan for Sony.

UK is Xbox land,I think right now the rest of Europe (Spain,France,Italy..ect) are more important for them than UK since that where PS3 sold best.

Japan is probably Q1 2014. UK aint loyal to the xbox brand, everyone starts over again nextgen.

Truespeed

It seems the Kinect 2 will suffer the same fate as the previous one. Since it's not required to use the console any more and with speculation that there will be a Kincet-less SKU the majority of developers will either ignore it completely or do the additional work required to support 2 experiences. Unless MS has mandated that all games must have support for Kinect it seems the path of least resistance will be taken.

What do you mean? Why couldn't he verify it? If he had sources that weren't, like, community managers at EA, he could call them and figure out if it were true or not.

I imagine they could, yes. But then it would be "our sources" when it's quite clear the original source (while not referenced) is still "the dude on the internet", which would still be iffy and make the oulet look like a total dick because people will claim the source is Buttocks.

I'm not a journalist or anything, but I don't see how you could report any of this information now without a named source (and another to confirm). And that last bit, named, is a no-go.

It'll be reported as a rumor though, avoiding all these questions in one move.

Suddenly my post yesterday about preorders being 4 to 1 don't seem quite so crazy.

Or maybe they still do. Shit's the truth though. Microsoft is looking at some pretty grim data and reacting strongly to it.

Which, for the record, makes them smarter than 2006 sony.

I would not call them smart they should never be in this position in the first place.
In 2006 Sony was coming off 2 of the best selling consoles of all time and tech in there system was brand new and that cause loads of problems .
MS does not have anything like that it's hard to believe how bad they fuck up .

Anth1888

What about FIFA moneyhats? How does UK react to that?

FIFA is absolutely huge in the UK no doubt about it. But will the wider gaming market know about this deal? It's an exclusive mode in Ultimate Team which was much less than we thought it would be. Plus Sony had the FIFA marketing deal in the last few years so it's switching over.

Darknight

Sony isn't winning US, especially if kinectless sku is true, Sony's biggest advantage price is gone. Launching a month earlier won't help them win a generation, especially if MS is consistent in their money hats.

Let's say the Bone relaunches at $400 next year, you think Sony cant drop their own price? It would be foolish bc PS4 is still a better purchase at its price but like MS this gen, Sony could keep ahead of MS with a price advantage.

Anyways, love to hear MS fans try to spin anything PS4/Sony for next gen into some negative stuff. The tables have turned and Sony has a clear as day advantage across the board. USA territory is fair game next gen and to me, Sony is bound to retake it. Its hard to be this optimistic but they have a clear vision, the better hardware and a great price point. Spin however you wish but MS will have a hard time this new gen.

Majanew

Banned
Gies calling CBOAT inaccurate? lol, well come in here and give some details, Mr Inside source.

CBOAT is the only legit insider 'round these parts.

Vire

Not to credit Gies or anything but wasn't cboat wrong about a lot of the e3 predictions. (Mirrors Edge 2 being at MS conference and Prince of Persia)

Still fun to play along..

I hope if the rumor about PS4 launch in October is true, they actually surprise us with 1 or 2 more launch titles at Gamescom. I can't really see myself getting one at launch with the current launch line-up.

So Microsoft is going to moneyhat Japan again? Wonderful. Here comes an avalanche of games I'll never play like all those JRPGs they bought early in the 360's life cycle. As if Japan hasn't suffered enough.

Not to credit Gies or anything but wasn't cboat wrong about a lot of the e3 predictions. (Mirrors Edge 2 being at MS conference and Prince of Persia)

Still fun to play along..

no he said Mirrors Edge 2 @ E3 and aplogized in advance for PoP omission.

FIFA is absolutely huge in the UK no doubt about it. But will the wider gaming market know about this deal? It's an exclusive mode in Ultimate Team which was much less than we thought it would be. Plus Sony had the FIFA marketing deal in the last few years so it's switching over.

I am sure MS/EA would market the hell out of it.

Also, I'm sure that partnership can grow? I don't know how effective it would be, but MS seems to have partnered with COD and FIFA, and those two are huge titles.

I guess it's not too big if delays/prices/PS4's momentum continues... I'm more curious about the details of MS's partnerships. Sony had EA this gen, or at least Battlefield, but I doubt that made a dent. MS is surely going to be more aggressive about it.

I would not call them smart they should never be in this position in the first place.
In 2006 Sony was coming off 2 of the best selling consoles of all time and tech in there system was brand new and that cause loads of problems .
MS does not have anything like that it's hard to believe how bad they fuck up .

And Sony wouldn't have been able to do a lot after E3 2006 anyway, everything was set in stone. The main problems of the PS3 were its price and hard to develop Cell architecture, things that were set in motion for years, they were unable to fix by summer 2006, they had to ride it out.

Cognitive Dissonance, Distilled
What's with all this talk of Demon's Souls 2? Is it really that sure of a thing at this point?

We are reaching critical bu-bu-bu-but levels.

Microsoft is simpl not ready, while Sony is.

People are acting like Xbox360 foothold in the USA wasn't caused by year headstart and lower price.
Nothing more.

Truespeed

Sony doesn't need to with the US. All they need to do is stay close. And since they're launching 1 month earlier and not 12 months later they'll do just fine and perhaps even take the US.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom