• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DC Extended Universe |OT3| A League of Academy Award Winners

MisterHero

So I was interested in critics vs audience opinions on RT regarding Zack Snyder movies.
Here are the stats.

DAWN OF THE DEAD:
ACR: 6.7/10, RT: 75 % - AAR: 3.4/5, Votes: 403k, ART: 77 %

300:
ACR: 6.1/10, RT: 60 % - AAR: 4.1/5, Votes 1.43m, ART: 89 %

WATCHMEN:
ACR: 6.3/10, RT: 60 % - AAR: 3.4/5, Votes 1m, ART: 71 %

LEGEND OF THE GUARDIANS: THE OWLS OF GA'HOOLE
ACR: 5.7/10, RT: 55 % - AAR: 3.5/5, Votes 70k, ART: 63 %

SUCKER PUNCH:
ACR: 4.1/10, RT: 23 % - AAR: 3/5, Votes 100k, ART: 47 %

MAN OF STEEL:
ACR: 6.2/10, RT: 55 % - AAR: 3.9/5, Votes 444k, ART: 75 %

BATMAN V SUPERMAN: DAWN OF JUSTICE:
ACR: 4.9/10, RT: 28 % - AAR: 3.6/5, Votes 227k, ART: 63 %

ACR: Average Critic Rating
AAR: Average Audience Rating

I have to rewatch 300 and watch Owls. Sucker Punch was just too out there for me. But I liked the rest of Snyder's films; I'm glad many others agree.

I really liked BvS UC. I liked Dawn of the Dead and Watchmen DC. I liked parts of Man of Steel. 300, I'd say is well made but I'm not a fan of the source material so it falls under not liking it. And way, way, way down is Sucker Punch. Haven't seen the Owl movie.

Snyder is a divisive director for my tastes.

Pachimari

All of you guys who haven't watched Guardians of the Legend so far should move it up your quelist, as it set a new standard for animation in its time and is still up around the golden standard of animal animation films.

strafer

All of you guys who haven't watched Guardians of the Legend so far should move it up your quelist, as it set a new standard for animation in its time and is still up around the golden standard of animal animation films.

you and your fucking golden standards :p

13 solo movies with white male leads before we get the first female solo flick in the MCU. C'mon.

Is Marvel sitting around doing nothing now? That's kinda what that post insinuated, and…they're not.

(Pretending DC and Marvel are on even playing fields there is kinda stupid though. Can't justify doing a DC universe without quickly introducing Wonder Woman, who's part of the damn trinity. It's wack, but, the same isn't really true of Marvel. Captain Marvel is their biggest draw, and I'd have liked to see her sooner, but we're getting her now. And we've known that she's coming for a while. Wasp technically is getting top billing alongside Ant-Man too. That's what they've got to work with lol *shrug*)

Rocket looked great but dawn of the apes a few years ago looked better with the stuff that they're doing with Caesar, not to mention how amazing that tech from WETA is now with war

MisterHero

I don't care for Captain Marvel because she's entirely different from her history as Ms. Marvel. Character rebranding, big whoop. Binary was my favorite character in Marvel Ultimate Alliance, but that's it

'sides, she's squatting on Billy Batson's superhero name

Is Marvel sitting around doing nothing now? That's kinda what that post insinuated, and...they're not.

(Pretending DC and Marvel are on even playing fields there is kinda stupid though. Can't justify doing a DC universe without quickly introducing Wonder Woman, who's part of the damn trinity. It's wack, but, the same isn't really true of Marvel. Captain Marvel is their biggest draw, and I'd have liked to see her sooner, but we're getting her now. And we've known that she's coming for a while. Wasp technically is getting top billing alongside Ant-Man too. That's what they've got to work with lol *shrug*)

That's always been a silly talking point when they made two movies with a talking raccoon and tree. You can still be a Marvel fan and recognize they've been lax about female and non-white leading characters. At least the defense that it's on Ike Perlmutter kind of works.

And in fairness, Warners should've made a Wonder Woman movie ages ago and there ain't an excuse there either.

That's always been a silly talking point when they made two movies with a talking raccoon and tree. You can still be a Marvel fan and recognize they've been lax about female and non-white leading characters. At least the defense that it's on Ike Perlmutter kind of works.

And in fairness, Warners should've made a Wonder Woman movie ages ago and there ain't an excuse there either.

Eh. I'm in the camp that's been wanted a Black Panther movie as a nigga, but I'm not mad they waited so long. Like I said, it's all wack, but when they do put the movies and characters out there, they do so with more care than any other comic studio out. Using Guardians as an argument is stupid considering they didn't come out the gate making Guardians, they waited 6 years. And around the time it proved itself, Carol's film was announced.

Tldr: it's wack they took so long, but eh, once they were confident moviegoers were fully on board with the most obscure of the obscure (see the aforementioned talking raccoon), they proved themselves to be all in on diversifying the MCU.

I'm going with my gut on this: WW is going to be better than Catwoman and Elektra.

J-J-JAMESON-LAUGH.gif

10/10

I can only hope to be as brave..

I'm having a tough time believing WW can be bad. It looks better than any previous movie in the franchise. And I was pretty high on Man of Steel before watching it.

Eh. I'm in the camp that's been wanted a Black Panther movie as a nigga, but I'm not mad they waited so long. Like I said, it's all wack, but when they do put the movies and characters out there, they do so with more care than any other comic studio out. Using Guardians as an argument is stupid considering they didn't come out the gate making Guardians, they waited 6 years. And around the time it proved itself, Carol's film was announced.

Tldr: it's wack they took so long, but eh, once they were confident moviegoers were fully on board with the most obscure of the obscure (see the aforementioned talking raccoon), they proved themselves to be all in on diversifying the MCU.

They needed more proof for Black Panther and Captain Marvel than Guardians of the Galaxy... word?

http://i0.wp.com/cine3.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/04/J-J-JAMESON-LAUGH.gif?resize=528%2C229[/img

10/10

I can only hope to be as brave..[/QUOTE]

Not committed to saying it'll be better than Supergirl, though.

Pachimari

Rocket looked great but dawn of the apes a few years ago looked better with the stuff that they're doing with Caesar, not to mention how amazing that tech from WETA is now with war
Wait, I was talking about the owl movie. But yes I agree, the Apes movies looks wonderful.

They needed more proof for Black Panther and Captain Marvel than Guardians of the Galaxy... word?

Not committed to saying it'll be better than Supergirl, though.

Unfortunately. That's Hollywood for you. That would be the part I said was wack, them prescribing to the same racist, sexist beliefs as everyone else. But as soon as they thought they could pull it off, they announced the shit. My problem was giving DC a pass while saying Marvel was sitting on their asses doesn't make a lick of sense given they've been 1) making movies longer, and actually own all their characters under WB, and 2) actually have an iconic woman character that should've been on the big screen. Hard to argue anyone wanted a Captain Marvel movie before the MCU. We're in a different climate now.

Ashhong

What about Black Widow? They could have given her a movie. Weren't people clamoring for it

I don't know anything about Cap Marvel but I'm excited for it. I don't care about the back story of a comic book character. They are all practically irrelevant to me. All I know is she has powers and is played by Brie Larson. That's all that matters to me. Though she's too damn cute to be intimidating in my eyes. Can't wait to see her in a suit

What about Black Widow? They could have given her a movie. Weren't people clamoring for it

I don't know anything about Cap Marvel but I'm excited for it. I don't care about the back story of a comic book character. They are all practically irrelevant to me. All I know is she has powers and is played by Brie Larson. That's all that matters to me. Though she's too damn cute to be intimidating in my eyes. Can't wait to see her in a suit

People were clamoring for it, but her movie made less sense than a Guardians one did. If people had clamored for a Falcon film, it wouldn't have meant he needed a movie. She's always been better as a supporting character than a solo one. Saying she was shafted is kinda trash too considering she's been handled with a ton of respect as a character and not just some accessory for the Avengers.

Marvel Studios could've done things better, but there issue was more one of being shackled by what years of racism and sexism in the comics industry as a whole, and Marvel's bad business decisions had left them with, source material wise.

All in all, they're finally doing things and that's a good thing.

You know, the funny/sad thing about the Catwoman movie is, way back when, a good friend was really into it because she was the only black superheroine in movies.

LionPride

Banned
Black Widow would've been a trash movie and I say this as someone who doesn't doubt marvel until they make a legitmate bad movie, Wonder Woman being the first good female Superhero movie would do wonders no pun intended. Marvel doing Carol makes sense but thankfully they are basically doing a blank slate on such a trash character. Hope to see more women in movies.

Pachimari

I still think they could do a great origin story as a spy thriller exploring her past in the red room etc.

Also, I liked Halle Berry in Catwoman. Her acting wasn't great but she was as cute in the role, that's good enough for me.

There's still no Wonder Woman marketing here, not a single television commercial either.

I still think they could do a great origin story as a spy thriller exploring her past in the red room etc.

Also, I liked Halle Berry in Catwoman. Her acting wasn't great but she was as cute in the role, that's good enough for me.

There's still no Wonder Woman marketing here, not a single television commercial either.

That's weird. They've been playing here for a little over a week now.

Top Bottom