• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

December 2014 NPD (U.S. Hardware) Predictions - Closes January 13th

allan-bh

Any word about updated november NPD data?

I wonder if Assassin's Creed Unity sales changed too much and if was the only change.

Lucreto

Just out of interest was the 400K November difference independently verified? I know CBOAT's crazy figure of 10K was wrong and forced someone hand to quell the thread but are we going by their word or has a second source appeared?

I am expecting about 200K in favor of Xbox but the end of the price cut will hit in January. It has to go with the losses they are taking on the bundles. I see why they did the deal just to get the Xbox into peoples home just to maintain people paying the live subscription with a hope for it to increase.

Javin98

Banned
No-one drops the price at E3, it precedes the worse selling months of the year, if they will do it it'll be for March/April which have a bit better sales iirc or they will wait until just before the holidays in August/September which they did on 360.

MS have no AAA exclusives in the first half of the year and are marketing Evolve and The Witcher 3 which is why I think they will go big on them, it makes sense.
You raise a few good points here

allan-bh

No-one drops the price at E3, it precedes the worse selling months of the year, if they will do it it'll be for March/April which have a bit better sales iirc or they will wait until just before the holidays in August/September which they did on 360.

Microsoft announced and launched the Xbox 360 Slim at E3.

allan-bh

Yeh but, wasn't that at the same price? I doubt they will do a slim at this years E3

Old model had a price drop, but what I'm saying is that despite mid-year be a low season for sales, Microsoft made a move in hardware arena.

I don't rule out a Xbox One price cut at E3.

Not going to post predicted or projected numbers because I just won't even remotely be correct but I'm generally expecting an Xbox One win with a 300 or 400K differential like last month. The parameters of November (temporary price cut for the Xbox One) are identical to December so I think expecting similar numbers to last month is a natural presumption.

PS4 will almost certainly be back on top come January though. Microsoft need a (hopefully permanent) price cut to become competitive again and then remain competitive in NA/UK. The real battle however will be Holiday 2015 when it's Halo 5/Tomb Raider versus Uncharted 4 in tandem with the inevitable price war.

Also: when does NPD hit? This Thursday?

jryi

Senior Analyst, Fanboy Drivel Research Partners LLC
I predict a minor victory for the PS4. Minor as in less than 100k.
I don't think there are any indicators pointing towards PS victory in December. Xbox is going to dominate.

Was it so that December sales are typically higher than November? So both are going to be comfortably above 1M?

I don't think there are any indicators pointing towards PS victory in December. Xbox is going to dominate.

Was it so that December sales are typically higher than November? So both are going to be comfortably above 1M?

5 week month for NPD as Aqua pointed out in the Nov thread and there were still deals, not sure I expect XB1 to do much more than 1.2m again though...

jryi

5 week month for NPD as Aqua pointed out in the Nov thread

Yeah, I recall her (or somebody) saying that December number are higher than November, but is it simply because of more weeks or are the weekly numbers also higher? In any case, adding 25% to November results is a baseline? Right?

(Oh hell, there's the whole week after Christmas, so probably 25% is too much...)

Welfare

Considering how they've heavily anticipated demand thanks to the Holidays cut, and how they're reverting back to "pre-season" prices + One's whole story of prices so far (in just one year in the market), I wonder if, this January, One and Wii U could see simi-

Naaaaaah.

grumble grumble "January NPD will be interesting!"

Any word about updated november NPD data?

I wonder if Assassin's Creed Unity sales changed too much and if was the only change.

it's not the only change, but the data error shift is minor.

old:

ZftTmUe.png

new:

7ni7dS3.png

notice how the hardware / software / accessories shift is super minor (hardware goes from $1.01 billion to $1.02 billion, software goes from $1.06 billion to $1.07 billion).

it's not worth carefully delineating.

Just out of interest was the 400K November difference independently verified? I know CBOAT's crazy figure of 10K was wrong and forced someone hand to quell the thread but are we going by their word or has a second source appeared?

I am expecting about 200K in favor of Xbox but the end of the price cut will hit in January. It has to go with the losses they are taking on the bundles. I see why they did the deal just to get the Xbox into peoples home just to maintain people paying the live subscription with a hope for it to increase.

it's in that general ballpark.

the people who talked about it know what they're saying.

there are also numbers in the op, but keep in mind that those are estimates and are not 100% super-precise.

Also: when does NPD hit? This Thursday?

next thursday.

it's a long 5-week wait as per the 4-5-4 retail calendar.

traditionally december is better-selling month for the market than november.

but this year is very unique in the industry and there are lots of times where the market has defied typical industry trends.

so who knows at this point. that's why i'm not putting either console *comfortably* above 1 million.

Yeah, I recall her (or somebody) saying that December number are higher than November, but is it simply because of more weeks or are the weekly numbers also higher? In any case, adding 25% to November results is a baseline? Right?

(Oh hell, there's the whole week after Christmas, so probably 25% is too much...)

november is 4 weeks and december is 5 weeks....so you would think it would make sense to add 25% to november results.

but you're right in that the week after christmas is a big slowdown, so combined with an increased company focus on november....it mixes everything up.

jryi

so who knows at this point. that's why i'm not putting either console *comfortably* above 1 million.
Interesting, not even Xbox? I would have thought that it maintains at least the same velocity (for the first three weeks) as in November, so 1.3-1.4M range would be pretty much a given. With PS4 I am much more uncertain, but I'd be surprised if it doesn't do something along the lines of 1-1.1M.

Man, I'm just dying the see the numbers. Again.

Ty4on

I know you know this stuff better than most of us, but +600K for Wii U? Don't you think this is a bit too much?
It did over 400k last December and is up for the rest of the year. I do agree though, November seems to indicate it won't be up in December and I had a horrible December in Japan, but sales there had gone down unlike the US.

Welfare

It did over 400k last December. I had a horrible December in Japan, but sales there had gone down unlike the US.

Sales in November were up only 10% this year, and that was with Smash. I doubt that sales will be up >25% in December for the U.

Elandyll

Banned
Traditionnally December sees a bump up, but I don't think that even if the XB1 very likely won, it won with as big of a margin as in November... And I also think that many people who were on the fence with the XB1 actually jumped in November with the MCC and the crazy price drop + free software, leaving a little less customers for December, leading me to think that numbers actually stagnated at best for the XB1.

[360] 250k
[3DS] 600k
[PS3] 150k
[PS4] 1000k
[WIU] 400k
[XB1] 1200k

Elandyll

Banned

MS have no AAA exclusives in the first half of the year and are marketing Evolve and The Witcher 3 which is why I think they will go big on them, it makes sense.

Just like Alan-bh pointed out, you are wrong on this (he gave the XB 360 example).

The XB1 got its "price cut" (actually an un-bundling of the Kinect) right before E3 2014, and the PS2 got its $100 price cut (leading it to the perfect price point of $199 for mass adoption) in Mid - May 2002, about a month before E3.

I expect both MS and Sony to do their price adjusting between March (probably too early) and June (right before or at E3).

Just like Alan-bh pointed out, you are wrong on this (he gave the XB 360 example).

The XB1 got its "price cut" (actually an un-bundling of the Kinect) right before E3 2014, and the PS2 got its $100 price cut (leading it to the perfect price point of $199 for mass adoption) in Mid - May 2002, about a month before E3.

I expect both MS and Sony to do their price adjusting between March (probably too early) and June (right before or at E3).

Kinctless XB1 was a new sku and was also likely the earliest they could release it due to production capacity. I'm pretty sure I remember correctly that a Microsoft CFO or someone said they were considering reducing making the consoles because there were too many on shelves.

Microsoft released their 2 revisions for 360 hardware at E3, but both were at the same price when they entered the market. We will see what happens. Someone else said all the 360s price cuts were in Aug/Sept, I think they will either adjust the price in Feb/March (probably for Evolve) or wait until that period.

Also, the PS2 price cut you mentioned was a whopping 13 years ago this E3, I think I can be forgiven for not considering an outlier to my point over a decade ago as relevant, when its not been repeated except for stock clearing for new skus.

I know you know this stuff better than most of us, but +600K for Wii U? Don't you think this is a bit too much?

LOL, don't give me too much credit. There are more than a few people here that I always look to for guidance and to make sure I'm not smoking anything. Plus, most predictions are fairly inline at this point, gotta throw down some bets to break free of the pack. And iwanttobelieve.jpg

You're right though. It's probably too much, yeah.

AgentP

Thinks mods influence posters politics. Promoted to QAnon Editor.
[XB1] 1200K
[PS4] 1000K

The PS4 will be closer this month, it had a whole month of deals instead of just black Friday and on. The Ps4 was off the top 20 on Amazon for most of November due to no bundles and MSRP price, while the XB1 was $349 the whole month.

wii u was up 10% even before mario kart. perhaps people really bought into the recently dropped price last year, but i have to assume that big software made more of an impact this holiday season. i expect sales to be down yoy starting in january though.

it was up 10% YoY on literally nothing, I remember how dead those months were, and September 2013 onwards was post-price drop

Was wondering if there's any insight to be gained about the Dec numbers from recent PR. But I think it's probably too vague.

4.1M "holiday" would presumably include [at least part of] November.

If something like 40% of that came from the US, then PS4 numbers for December would be in the realm of 800K, if all of November is considered holiday.

Although from memory the US market Nov/Dec proportion of sales tends to be higher than the European market, so a larger than normal proportion of those sales could be from the US.

EDIT: RE Wii U, it was up Jan - April (March only very marginally) from pretty terrible numbers. And it was up larger percentages post-MK from absolutely abysmal numbers i.e. sub-30K in one month.
Comparatively the Wii U's December 13 wasn't that bad.

Welfare

Was wondering if there's any insight to be gained about the Dec numbers from recent PR. But I think it's probably too vague.

If something like 40% of that came from the US, then PS4 numbers for December would be in the realm of 800K, if all of November is considered holiday.

Although from memory the US market Nov/Dec proportion of sales tends to be higher than the European market, so a larger than normal proportion of those sales could be from the US.

EDIT: RE Wii U, it was up Jan - April (March only very marginally) from pretty abysmal numbers. Comparatively the Wii U's December 13 wasn't that bad.

Geoff Keighley said they sold 4.1 million between 11/23/14-1/4/2015

Sales in November were up only 10% this year, and that was with Smash. I doubt that sales will be up >25% in December for the U.

Kinda where I was going with it. August was up big (% wise), Sep down a tad, Oct up 35 points or so, Nov up a bit... betting on the come that another 30% bump on the horizon. Playing Star Trek movie rules. Probably wrong.

AniHawk

it was up 10% YoY on literally nothing, I remember how dead those months were, and September 2013 onwards was post-price drop

wii u was around 60k a month from jan-march and dipped to about 30k-40k until september. the 10% increase was on the 'better' part of the year, before the slow months were compared to mario kart 8.

i remember 2013 too.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!

EDIT: RE Wii U, it was up Jan - April (March only very marginally) from pretty terrible numbers. And it was up larger percentages post-MK from absolutely abysmal numbers i.e. sub-30K in one month.
Comparatively the Wii U's December 13 wasn't that bad.

Yeah, I could attempt some guesses from that Holiday number in (hopefully) the next hour.
But, first, I need to find out the ROTW share of overall sales the last time we had an update on the matter.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Ok, let's do this.

First, I'm going to base considerations on this post back from August

http://neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=125565170&highlight=ps4#post125565170

So there was something I wanted to look at now that we have PS4's numbers which are somewhat disappointing to be honest although do lead to an odd conclusion

PS4 WW sales
4.2M as of 12/28/13
5.3M as of 2/8/14 [+1.1M]
6M as of 3/2/14 [+.7M]
7M as of 4/6/14 [+1M]
10M as of 8/10/14 [+3M]

Compared with PS4 US Sales in the same time period
January PS4 US Sales = 271k, adjusting for 2 extra weeks nets us ~406k PS4 sales in the US compared to 1100k WW thus representing a US|WW Ratio of ~37% for January-ish
Feburary PS4 US Sales = 268k and are of comparable timeframe to WW's 700k thus representing a US|WW Ratio of ~38.3% for February
March PS4 US Sales = 371k and are of comparable timeframe to WW's 1000k thus representing a US|WW Ratio of 37.1% for March
PS4 US sales from April 6th to August 2nd = 852k, adjusting for an extra week in August nets us ~899k in the US compared to 3000k WW thus representing a US|WW Ratio of ~30% aggregate across sales from April to early August

There seems to be a severe shift in the last 4 months of US to ROTW PS4 sales, quite a significant amount I would imagine

Now, we know that 4,100,000 PS4s have been sold between November 23rd to January 3rd in US, South America, Europe and ROTW, and between November 24th and January 4th in Japan and Asia.

In November, PS4 sold around 840,000 units. Now, we don't know how much it sold during Black Friday week, but we can try to make some estimates.

PS4 in October sold 297,000 units. Thus, 74,250 units per week.

November is a 4-weeks month like October. If, before BF week, sales were consistent with October, we could estimate

November 2nd - November 8th - 74,250
November 9th - November 15th - 74,250
November 16th - November 22nd - 74,250

In this hypotesis, we'd have 222,750 units sold up to November 22nd. Considering the amount of units sold during the entire month, this would mean 617,250 units have been sold in the last week of November, i.e. the one containing Black Friday.

However, while Black Friday surely played a major role in November numbers, it's probably unfair to state that sales have been steady before BF. It's plausible they increased gradually before going big for BF. Then, it's probably safer to say that Black Friday week accounted for around 400,000 to 450,000 units sold.

In the same week, PS4 sold around 120,000 units in UK, 13,489 in Japan (MC).

It's true that, since August, it's been estimated that the US|WW ratio for PS4 has been around 30%, but it's highly possible that ratio was higher during Black Friday week considering it's mainly a US/UK phenomenon, and not that important in the rest of the world. Thus, using 400,000 - 450,000 as a basis, WW numbers for Black Friday week have probably been lower than 1,333,000 - 1,500,000 (which suppose a US|WW Ratio of 30%, like in August). Given the incidence of Black Friday sales in US and UK and its lack of major relevance in other countries, I say we can up the share to 40% for this week, bringing the WW total to 1,000,000 - 1,125,000.

In this case, we'd have

WW sales for December 2014 (based on guesses / estimates) - 2,975,000 - 3,100,000

Considering the relevance of European + ROTW numbers in PS4's case, how (going by Famitsu numbers, since MS ones aren't available at the moment), it sold 128,859 in Japan as of December 28th (one week's datas missing; we'll get them tomorrow), but also how big December is in US, could we guess around 1,100,000 - 1,200,000 of PS4 sold in US during December?

Unfortunately, this is all I can do trying to take into consideration as much factor as possible. Do we have some historical datas suggesting the relevance of BF numbers compared to overall November numbers? It'd help a lot.

dolemite

Ok, let's do this.

Now, we know that 4,100,000 PS4s have been sold between November 23rd to January 3rd in US, South America, Europe and ROTW, and between November 24th and January 4th in Japan and Asia.

In November, PS4 sold around 840,000 units. Now, we don't know how much it sold during Black Friday week, but we can try to make some estimates.

November is a 4-weeks month like October. If, before BF week, sales were consistent with October, we could estimate

In this hypotesis, we'd have 222,750 units sold up to November 22nd. Considering the amount of units sold during the entire month, this would mean 617,250 units have been sold in the last week of November, i.e. the one containing Black Friday.

However, while Black Friday surely played a major role in November numbers, it's probably unfair to state that sales have been steady before BF. It's plausible they increased gradually before going big for BF. Then, it's probably safer to say that Black Friday week accounted for around 400,000 to 450,000 units sold.

It's true that, since August, it's been estimated that the US|WW ratio for PS4 has been around 30%, but it's highly possible that ratio was higher during Black Friday week considering it's mainly a US/UK phenomenon, and not that important in the rest of the world. Thus, using 400,000 - 450,000 as a basis, WW numbers for Black Friday week have probably been lower than 1,333,000 - 1,500,000 (which suppose a US|WW Ratio of 30%, like in August). Given the incidence of Black Friday sales in US and UK and its lack of major relevance in other countries, I say we can up the share to 40% for this week, bringing the WW total to 1,000,000 - 1,125,000.

In this case, we'd have

WW sales for December 2014 (based on guesses / estimates) - 2,975,000 - 3,100,000

Considering the relevance of European + ROTW numbers in PS4's case, how (going by Famitsu numbers, since MS ones aren't available at the moment), it sold 128,859 in Japan as of December 28th (one week's datas missing; we'll get them tomorrow), but also how big December is in US, could we guess around 1,100,000 - 1,200,000 of PS4 sold in US during December?

Unfortunately, this is all I can do trying to take into consideration as much factor as possible. Do we have some historical datas suggesting the relevance of BF numbers compared to overall November numbers? It'd help a lot.

I thought the GTAV bundle numbers for Black Friday were around 340k or so? I remember there was a number mentioned in the Nov. NPD thread.

congratulations, sales-age.

an npd thread has surpassed 1 million views for the very first time:

it's also interesting to note that the top 10 npd threads now entirely consist of 2013 and 2014 npd threads.

top 10 npd threads (by no. of posts)

1) NPD Sales Results for November 2014 [Up3: NPD Data Error, AC:U #5]
Replies: 8,769
Views: 1,030,411

2) NPD Sales Results for March 2014 [Up4: FFX/X-2 HD]
Replies: 7,109
Views: 902,208

3) NPD Sales Results for September 2014 [Up1: Smash/HW/MK8, Destiny stats, 3DS HW]
Replies: 5,648
Views: 700,379

4) NPD Sales Results for November 2013 [Up3: Zelda, Pokemon, Mario, 3DS, Wii U]
Replies: 5,349
Views: 609,639

5) NPD Sales Results for October 2014 [Up3: All of Nintendo's 3DS million sellers]
Replies: 4,880
Views: 590,665

6) NPD Sales Results for June 2014 [Up3: All Hardware (June/LTD), Top 10 Software SKUs]
Replies: 4,781
Views: 590,866

7) NPD January 2013 Sales Results [Up7: Wii U 57K (CNET), Vita ~35K, PS3 201K]
Replies: 4,592
Views: 366,386

8) NPD Sales Results for May 2014 [Up1: Wii U Hardware]
Replies: 4,144
Views: 606,834

9) NPD Sales Results for April 2014 [Up2: XB1/360 hardware, PS4 #1/XB1 #2 best selling]
Replies: 3,896
Views: 502,228

10) NPD Sales Results for January 2014 [Up3: PS4/XB1 #1/#2 best selling; Poke/SM3DW/ALBW]
Replies: 3,835
Views: 450,440

top 10 npd threads (by no. of views)

1) NPD Sales Results for November 2014 [Up3: NPD Data Error, AC:U #5]
Replies: 8,769
Views: 1,030,411

2) NPD Sales Results for March 2014 [Up4: FFX/X-2 HD]
Replies: 7,109
Views: 902,208

3) NPD Sales Results for September 2014 [Up1: Smash/HW/MK8, Destiny stats, 3DS HW]
Replies: 5,648
Views: 700,379

4) NPD Sales Results for November 2013 [Up3: Zelda, Pokemon, Mario, 3DS, Wii U]
Replies: 5,349
Views: 609,639

5) NPD Sales Results for May 2014 [Up1: Wii U Hardware]
Replies: 4,144
Views: 606,834

6) NPD Sales Results for June 2014 [Up3: All Hardware (June/LTD), Top 10 Software SKUs]
Replies: 4,781
Views: 590,866

7) NPD Sales Results for October 2014 [Up3: All of Nintendo's 3DS million sellers]
Replies: 4,880
Views: 590,665

8) NPD Sales Results for April 2014 [Up2: XB1/360 hardware, PS4 #1/XB1 #2 best selling]
Replies: 3,896
Views: 502,228

9) NPD Sales Results for January 2014 [Up3: PS4/XB1 #1/#2 best selling; Poke/SM3DW/ALBW]
Replies: 3,835
Views: 450,440

10) NPD Sales Results for July 2014 [Up1: 3DS LTDs, Wii U LTDs, Tomodachi]
Replies: 3,190
Views: 448,310

Chobel

Ok, let's do this.

In this case, we'd have

Amazing work! Thanks a lot!

Top Bottom